The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 20, 2017, 06:59:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 06:59:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Divination in Hellenic Polytheism  (Read 6828 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Topic Start: March 27, 2007, 10:26:37 am »

Randall mentioned in his initial post using "divination when needed" as a part of daily practice.  What sort of role should divination play?  When and in what contexts should it be used?  Are there methods of divination that would be preferred, from a Hellenic perspective, over other methods?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 27, 2007, 12:27:47 pm »

Drawing upon early ADF practice, which in turn drew upon ancient practices (mostly Roman?), I think if there is a sacrifice made during the ritual, one should have a divination to see if the sacrifice is acceptable. 

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: March 27, 2007, 03:31:15 pm »

Randall mentioned in his initial post using "divination when needed" as a part of daily practice.  What sort of role should divination play?  When and in what contexts should it be used?  Are there methods of divination that would be preferred, from a Hellenic perspective, over other methods?

I think certain forms of divination practiced in the ancient world -- such as the various formal oracular setups -- aren't exactly practical in modern culture, not least for the distressing lack of pits with fumes of rotting monsters conveniently wafting above.   Smiley  However, I think that there are adaptations that can be made, such as divination-oriented trancework, perhaps, for situations in which oracles would have been consulted.  There's also some "low-magic" forms of divination, such as casting knucklebones, which is especially associated with Hermes.

I also think there's some value in using whatever form of divination the practitioner is most comfortable with -- Tarot, pendulum, tea leaf reading -- in situations where the ancients would have used divination.  Some of that might be not historically appropriate to the Hellenic world, but may make up for that in the accuracy of the actual information divined, if that makes sense.  Me, I suck at all divination methods beyond Tarot, and I'll spring for "*actual* accuracy" rather than "historical accuracy," if it will work better.  But then, I'm a Hermes follower, and he is nothing if not supremely adaptable.     
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 21, 2017, 09:22:51 am

TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: March 27, 2007, 07:09:06 pm »

Are there methods of divination that would be preferred, from a Hellenic perspective, over other methods?

Many of the most common (or at least commonly written about) methods of divination used by folks in ancient Greece really aren't practical or common today. This is an area we need to research and see what can be used directly. However, I also think that most modern methods of divination could be used by people already familiar with them, perhaps with some tinkering to make them fit a Hellenic wrldview a bit better.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 28, 2007, 10:57:15 am »

However, I also think that most modern methods of divination could be used by people already familiar with them, perhaps with some tinkering to make them fit a Hellenic wrldview a bit better.

Yeah. Regardless of the actual method being used, if the underlying symbology isn't in synch, it's a problem. Fortunately, classical symbolism is already pretty deeply embedded in Western psyche, so it isn't a completely uphill battle...

Caroline
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: March 28, 2007, 06:46:59 pm »

Fortunately, classical symbolism is already pretty deeply embedded in Western psyche, so it isn't a completely uphill battle...

This is a major advantage -- and with a little work one can bring it out so it is more obvious.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
sashapablo
Board Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:January 19, 2012, 05:37:09 pm

Religion: Hellenic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: March 29, 2007, 10:18:38 am »

Many of the most common (or at least commonly written about) methods of divination used by folks in ancient Greece really aren't practical or common today. This is an area we need to research and see what can be used directly. However, I also think that most modern methods of divination could be used by people already familiar with them, perhaps with some tinkering to make them fit a Hellenic wrldview a bit better.

I've always been fond of the method of bird watching that's mentioned in Sophocles' Antigone.

I also suck at most methods of divination.

Sasha
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 29, 2007, 03:57:52 pm »

I've always been fond of the method of bird watching that's mentioned in Sophocles' Antigone.

I like the oracles at Dodona: the priestesses interpreted the rustling of leaves, cooing doves and -- the clanging of bronze pots hung in the trees.

I imagine a progression of divine murmuring, whispering, and eventually shouting (will you listen, stupid mortal!)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #8: April 11, 2007, 11:23:29 am »

Stock paragraph:  Things have been a bit quiet, so I thought I'd see if I could summarize what's been said in some of these threads.  I feel like in some places we kind of just let things trail off mid-thought, so I'm hoping this might help pick back up and get going again.

Divination.  What's been suggested so far:

1.  Somewhat traditional methods possibly workable in a modern context would be divination-oriented trancework (in place of oracular consultation), bird watching, and low-magic forms of divination like casting knucklebones.  However...

2.  ..."Divination" should perhaps take whatever form the practitioner is comfortable with or has some ability to work.  Actual accuracy may be more important than historical accuracy.  We may need to tinker slightly with them to make them fit in a Hellenic worldview, though.

Anything to add yet?

Questions:

1.  What sort of "tinkering" would we need to do, in a general sense, to make modern forms of divination fit into a Hellenic worldview?

2.  In what context is it appropriate/recommended to use divination at all, from a Hellenic POV?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Laurel
Apprentice
Last Login:March 01, 2011, 11:03:13 am

Religion: Hellenic polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 29, 2007, 07:51:24 am »

Not sure how much this really adds to the discussion, but a couple of "pre-tinkered" things are out there, like Sannion's Homer oracle for three dice:

http://www.winterscapes.com/sannion/homer_oracle.htm

or the alphabet oracle...about which I can supply no info because I've forgotten where I read about it.  Phooey.
Kraeton
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 06, 2007, 09:20:47 pm

Religion: Nondescriminating Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 30, 2007, 11:49:37 pm »

1.  What sort of "tinkering" would we need to do, in a general sense, to make modern forms of divination fit into a Hellenic worldview?

2.  In what context is it appropriate/recommended to use divination at all, from a Hellenic POV?

I too am very curious about folks feelings on these two questions.  It seems to me that some examples of the Hellenic POV seems to very greatly from region to region.

Ean pantes oi nomoi anairethosin, omoios biosomen. -Aristippus
Therapon
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 12, 2008, 12:01:20 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hellenismos

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 02, 2007, 08:04:28 am »

I've gotten the impression over years of talking on message boards, that divination wasn't a major preoccupation for the general population. It was considered strange. Not sure if this is correct?
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: May 02, 2007, 08:05:34 am »

I've gotten the impression over years of talking on message boards, that divination wasn't a major preoccupation for the general population. It was considered strange. Not sure if this is correct?
That's the impression I have as well.

Randall
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 17, 2007, 08:54:07 pm »

I only worship the Greek Pantheon, and have always used various forms of divination. Most of course have nothing to do with the historical practices of my religion.

The way I've wiggled my way around this is before I use any form of divination I ask one of the gods (or goddesses), usually Apollo, to speak to me through the medium I happen to be using, usually my Tarot cards.

Other forms of divination I've used are pendelum work and an odd practice I've started using my playing cards, which until recently I used as my main Tarot deck. This idea struck me one night and I've been smitten with it ever since. I shuffle my cards, more to get a feel for them than anything else, then I pull my thumb across the top of the deck strewing them across my bed. As soon as they've settled, I set to sorting through them finding the ones that just belong together or those Apollo pushes me to. Once I've organized the ones that call to me I go back and find the cards meanings, I usually get a feel for what the situation is before I ever find out the cards meanings and occasionally I ask a question before I throw them.

I know it's not a traditional kind of divination, but it works for me.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: May 18, 2007, 07:48:58 am »

I only worship the Greek Pantheon, and have always used various forms of divination. Most of course have nothing to do with the historical practices of my religion.

Mirockinstar, could you please use the quote/reply function?  It helps preserve the chan of posts in a topic, so we can see who is replying to each other.  Thank you,

EverFool

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.