The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 25, 2021, 11:21:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 25, 2021, 11:21:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Did Life Evolve in Ice?  (Read 1831 times)
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 04, 2008, 11:43:14 am »

Did Life Evolve in Ice?

One morning in late 1997, Stanley Miller lifted a glass vial from a cold, bubbling vat. For 25 years he had tended the vial as though it were an exotic orchid, checking it daily, adding a few pellets of dry ice as needed to keep it at –108 degrees Fahrenheit. He had told hardly a soul about it. Now he set the frozen time capsule out to thaw, ending the experiment that had lasted more than one-third of his 68 years.

Miller had filled the vial in 1972 with a mixture of ammonia and cyanide, chemicals that scientists believe existed on early Earth and may have contributed to the rise of life. He had then cooled the mix to the temperature of Jupiter’s icy moon Europa—too cold, most scientists had assumed, for much of anything to happen. Miller disagreed. Examining the vial in his laboratory at the University of California at San Diego, he was about to see who was right.

This is...so neat.   Cool

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: February 04, 2008, 05:03:24 pm »

I had read about Miller's original experiments, but did not know anything about some of the more recent ones.  Thanks for posting this.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 04, 2008, 05:17:36 pm »

I had read about Miller's original experiments, but did not know anything about some of the more recent ones.  Thanks for posting this.

We tell everyone that stanley was named after his grandfather , but actually, he was named after mr. miller.   Grin  ok, maybe both.  He loves hearing about all these famous scientists with his first name (although granpa isn't a famous scientist)

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 05, 2008, 07:20:02 pm »

How could I not?  Grin

The originals were cool enough, but considering what we now know about the outer moons, and suspect about the Mars polar caps...

~~~Pyperlie<^>

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Phoenix
Adept Member
Last Login:June 14, 2011, 05:51:50 am

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 06, 2008, 08:35:55 pm »

I have found again and again that the best condition for creating complex pre-biotic chemistry are often very different from the best conditions for life itself.
This is one of the reasons I suspect that one of the best places to look for ET is in a belt a few hundred light-years outside the galactic hub

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 10, 2008, 09:39:22 pm »

This is one of the reasons I suspect that one of the best places to look for ET is in a belt a few hundred light-years outside the galactic hub

I'm one of those people who leans towards the assumption that the universe is teeming with life, partly because of the big numbers involved, and partly because, well, it'd be pretty pathetic if humans were the best the universe could produce.  Tongue

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Phoenix
Adept Member
Last Login:June 14, 2011, 05:51:50 am

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 10, 2008, 10:24:55 pm »

I'm one of those people who leans towards the assumption that the universe is teeming with life, partly because of the big numbers involved, and partly because, well, it'd be pretty pathetic if humans were the best the universe could produce.  Tongue
My logic here is that if you want to see an oil well, you go where the oil is ...
In this case, conditions in the galactic hub make it ideal for the mass production of the raw materials for the formation of planets and for life itself (irradiated dust)
So ... If you go a few hundred light-years away from there, there will be lots of raw materials available in an area with a lot less background radiation

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 11, 2008, 08:07:38 pm »

Did Life Evolve in Ice?

Very interesting article... This actually just popped into my head the other day thinking about the Eddas and the Norse creation myth. Life evolving out of ice... ice was/is naturally a big part of life for Northern peoples, but perhaps they were on to something!

Just had to butt in... Smiley

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 12, 2008, 03:01:53 pm »

Very interesting article... This actually just popped into my head the other day thinking about the Eddas and the Norse creation myth. Life evolving out of ice... ice was/is naturally a big part of life for Northern peoples, but perhaps they were on to something!

OMG, dude I would die if they could prove (as far as such is possible in science, anyway) ice-based evolution, and up pops an Asatruar scientist who decides it would be entertaining to point that fact out... Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)