The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 23, 2021, 07:16:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2021, 07:16:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Most Annoying TV Personalities  (Read 14536 times)
Adoratrix
Journeyman
Last Login:April 15, 2008, 01:11:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: February 07, 2008, 01:50:17 am »

Where I'm at, he's on at all times of the day.

Me, too. I'll just be watching Dr. Phil with the shades drawn, minding my own business, when BAM!!!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #31: February 07, 2008, 07:41:24 am »

Me, too. I'll just be watching Dr. Phil with the shades drawn, minding my own business, when BAM!!!

Which reminds me, Dr. Phil is my #13.

I have just noticed that most of the people on my list are either from daytime TV or reality shows...hm.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Wanderer894
Master Member
Last Login:April 07, 2011, 10:47:22 pm

Religion: The Way of the Dragonfly/Ignostic Pagan Humanist
TCN ID: Wanderer894

another day, another round of "WTF?"

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #32: February 18, 2008, 08:30:12 pm »

(note: this thread is mainly for laughs.  I am not intentionally being malicious towards those I mention even though it may come off that way)

This thread idea was inspired by watching one too many commercials featuring Billy Mays (of OxiClean fame).  So my question to you is who is in your top five or ten list of the TV personalities that you love to hate?

Hmm, I'm with you on Mays definitely.  First time I saw him I thought he was either on a major caffeine high.  I've avoided infomercials featuring him ever since.

Rachael Ray I loathe with the fury of a thousand suns.  Giada is OK, I'd rather be stuck with her in an elevator than RR.  Come to think of it, I'd rather be stuck with Bourdain, Paula, even Sandra Lee, in an elevator. (Hi I'm None and I am proud to be a Suxter.......)

Lesseee.....Dr. Phil.  Please go back to whatever rock you lived under.

Paris Hilton............wait is that series she was in even on anymore?

Sherri Shepherd just annoys me.  She acts as if knowing and understanding the universe we live in is not important.  At all.  Please, do as Whoopi suggested and think a little about what you want to say more often.

Tyra I don't know much about and I don't watch her show, so the most I can say is that I don't much care for her.  If Janice Dickinson counts, then yes, she annoys me.  Telling girls who are already thin as can be and still are healthy, "You need to lose weight"? That's as helpful as telling someone with a migraine to go bang their head against a wall.

Even though I haven't watched MTV or VH1 in a while, I'm pretty sure the people they have hosting the shows and such would annoy me.

And that's all I've got.  I don't watch TV like I used to, otherwise the list would be longer.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 05:19:20 am by Star, Reason: Fixing quote code typo » Logged

Rituals do not make Life; Life is what you consider the most important, and the most fun.
Just another hapless human trying to figure out what the frell makes this world tick, and how to avoid the idiots who make my head hurt
Stop the war, impeach the war criminals.

Bored much? My Blog: Gray Reverie
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #33: February 19, 2008, 05:28:14 am »

If Janice Dickinson counts, then yes, she annoys me.  Telling girls who are already thin as can be and still are healthy, "You need to lose weight"? That's as helpful as telling someone with a migraine to go bang their head against a wall.

To be fair, I don't know that that's a problem with Janice Dickinson personally so much as it's a problem with the modeling industry, or possibly the fashion industry, both of which have long been known for creating unrealistic expectations about body shapes and sizes.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Wanderer894
Master Member
Last Login:April 07, 2011, 10:47:22 pm

Religion: The Way of the Dragonfly/Ignostic Pagan Humanist
TCN ID: Wanderer894

another day, another round of "WTF?"

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #34: February 19, 2008, 11:53:02 am »

To be fair, I don't know that that's a problem with Janice Dickinson personally so much as it's a problem with the modeling industry, or possibly the fashion industry, both of which have long been known for creating unrealistic expectations about body shapes and sizes.

I'd say that's where the problem starts, but she sure isn't helping much by regurgitating what she was likely told when she started.  And since Janice is still an important person in the modeling industry, I would think she's seen the changes, however few and far between, coming about in recent years.  And that's what got me - that she will still tell girls to make themselves look like walking coat hangers.  Maybe it's just that hard to break free of what she learned over the years and try something else.

BTW, thanks for fixing the quote code.  I thought I had it right, but oh well.

Rituals do not make Life; Life is what you consider the most important, and the most fun.
Just another hapless human trying to figure out what the frell makes this world tick, and how to avoid the idiots who make my head hurt
Stop the war, impeach the war criminals.

Bored much? My Blog: Gray Reverie
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #35: February 19, 2008, 01:09:59 pm »

BTW, thanks for fixing the quote code.  I thought I had it right, but oh well.

You're welcome.  Smiley  You mostly did have it right; I think what was wrong was just a typo.  The ending tag looked like this:
[quote]

And it needed to look like this:
[/quote]

The slash was missing, was all.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Lorrie Indigo
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 03, 2008, 11:30:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: February 19, 2008, 03:28:28 pm »

Tyra Banks does make an effort in trying to change that mindset.

I do watch Janice Dickinson's show and there is one particular girl who thought she looked fine but Janice told her she needs to lose weight (the one who had the date with Janice's son). She may not have needed to lose weight but she did need to firm and tone up her body. Add more muscle to burn some fat. She looked too soft.....I believe she did do that, mentioning in later episodes that she was working out more, and Janice liked her results.

I REALLY loved how Janice took on those Models for Jesus people. LOL! That was thee best scene on her show!  I loved how she was so calm and cool and not intimidated by them at all. She rocked!
whambamcam
Journeyman
Last Login:April 27, 2008, 03:26:18 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan-witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: February 19, 2008, 04:47:46 pm »

Tyra Banks does make an effort in trying to change that mindset.

I haven’t seen evidence of that, since on America’s top model, I have seen a lot of unhealthy looking women.  Even I know it’s not healthy to see rib cages and protruding spines.

To be honest I don’t see why any one would take advise from Janice Dickinson, her face is a mess, she is a complete bitch and has had about as many failed marriages as bad plastic surgery jobs. I despise the woman. She is a symbol of everything wrong in the fashion industry.  The bitch has a very unhealthy image of what looks good and what is healthy:  “waif is in.”

To be honest the fashion industry has not changed that much.  Yes one or two shows have banned size zero models but that’s not addressing the issues really.  It’s a very superficial stop gap.

I’m surprised Versace isn’t doing much of an effort to try to change it since Donatella’s daughter suffers from anorexia and is going to inherit the company. 

Luceo non uro (I burn but am not consumed)

I birn quil I se (I burn while I shall burn)

Hold fast
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #38: February 19, 2008, 04:59:31 pm »

I haven’t seen evidence of that, since on America’s top model, I have seen a lot of unhealthy looking women.

They cast, like, one token "plus-sized" model per season.  (One season they even had two.)  But by "plus-sized", with possible the exception of Toccara of season 3, whose name I probably just misspelled, they usually seem to mean "a size that's normal in the real world".  (Not that Toccara was fat or anything, she was just built heavier than "average", a distinction I would always hasten to make.)  And calling that "plus-sized" is not making progress at all, IMHO.  It's sending the message that perfectly normal, healthy women are "plus-sized", that the norm is or should be the waif. Somehow the "plus-sized" girls never seem to measure up to the others, either, and the winner always winds up being one of the skinny ones.  (And, I know, there may be good reasons for that.  But I wish they'd make more of an effort to find "plus-sized" girls who have half a chance.)

All of which is part of why I can't make myself take the show seriously.  *shrug*

(I feel I should put a disclaimer here that I'm not intending to lash out against people who do just happen to be skinny, I'm not trying to say they necessarily need to be heavier.  What I'm trying to say here is that everyone has their own individual "normal" weight, and trying to make out that there's one single weight everyone needs to be is damaging.  It just happens that in this case, the "ideal" weight being proposed is on the thin side.  I'm a little pressed for time, so I may not be expressing myself well here.)

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #39: February 19, 2008, 05:09:43 pm »

(I feel I should put a disclaimer here that I'm not intending to lash out against people who do just happen to be skinny, I'm not trying to say they necessarily need to be heavier.  What I'm trying to say here is that everyone has their own individual "normal" weight, and trying to make out that there's one single weight everyone needs to be is damaging.  It just happens that in this case, the "ideal" weight being proposed is on the thin side.  I'm a little pressed for time, so I may not be expressing myself well here.)

It's the idea that normal = five pounds soaking wet, yes?

I have nothing against HEALTHY skinny .. but when I see people who look like I could crack them in half by breathing on them too hard refusing to eat because they're "too fat" .. OY!

Or even people at a healthy weight constantly trying to diet because they're afraid they're too fat.  I know I used to have that problem - and on the really bad days, I still do.  And, y'know .. when my brain is working, I'm not fat.  But when "proper" is less than half my size ......

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #40: February 19, 2008, 05:25:53 pm »

It's the idea that normal = five pounds soaking wet, yes?

I have nothing against HEALTHY skinny .. but when I see people who look like I could crack them in half by breathing on them too hard refusing to eat because they're "too fat" .. OY!

Or even people at a healthy weight constantly trying to diet because they're afraid they're too fat.  I know I used to have that problem - and on the really bad days, I still do.  And, y'know .. when my brain is working, I'm not fat.  But when "proper" is less than half my size ......

This is one of the reasons I don't bother with any of the model sh ows at all. It's just all too surreal, even for me.
Here is an interestng book for young women on this topic, it was a recent discussion topic on my mom board. I am getting for my daughter, when she is a little bit older.

Body Drama: Real Girls, Real Bodies, Real Issues, Real Answers
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 05:32:26 pm by RandallS, Reason: Amazon Link Shortened » Logged

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Lorrie Indigo
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: February 19, 2008, 06:00:57 pm »

I haven’t seen evidence of that, since on America’s top model, I have seen a lot of unhealthy looking women. 

Tyra has mentioned being against anorexic looking models several times in public. I have no proof other than her saying it several times on her show, and on other TV interviews.

The world isn't going to change overnight, especially with how the media and others like very thin women to this very day.
whambamcam
Journeyman
Last Login:April 27, 2008, 03:26:18 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan-witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: February 19, 2008, 06:14:40 pm »

Tyra has mentioned being against anorexic looking models several times in public. I have no proof other than her saying it several times on her show, and on other TV interviews.

The world isn't going to change overnight, especially with how the media and others like very thin women to this very day.

There is a difference between saying she is against it and actually doing something about it.  From her show I see no evidence that she is supporting that claim. There a lot of anorexics who watch the show for its “thinspo content”. I can remember one big example on the show was a swim suit shoot.  Even I know that its not healthy to not just being able to see rubs but  having your rib cage jutting out.  It is not a good thing to promote bodies that are falling in on themselves.  Her claiming that she is againt anorexic models is hypocritical.  Its like saying Shell, or Ford are against air pollution.

Luceo non uro (I burn but am not consumed)

I birn quil I se (I burn while I shall burn)

Hold fast
Lorrie Indigo
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: February 19, 2008, 06:18:35 pm »

There is a difference between saying she is against it and actually doing something about it. 

Yes, true.

I don't know if she has actually done something about it. I don't follow her life religiously to know one way or the other.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #44: February 19, 2008, 06:24:32 pm »

And then there was the "kiss my fat ass" tirade (or would that be Tyrade) she did on her talk show when a tabloid published unflattering pics of her in a bathing suit.  Since then she had members of her audience put their weight and ages on their shirts and wear only their underwear.  I think she is just trying to make herself feel better.

Sad, but true.  I think that being overweight in general is highly stigmatized in our society.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)