The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 23, 2021, 07:04:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2021, 07:04:56 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Most Annoying TV Personalities  (Read 14535 times)
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #45: February 19, 2008, 06:27:14 pm »

And then there was the "kiss my fat ass" tirade (or would that be Tyrade) she did on her talk show when a tabloid published unflattering pics of her in a bathing suit.  Since then she had members of her audience put their weight and ages on their shirts and wear only their underwear.  I think she is just trying to make herself feel better.

Oh God, I saw that one. I agree, she is just trying to make herself feel better- and hopefully get the title of 'the saviour of the insecure' at the same time.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

whambamcam
Journeyman
Last Login:April 27, 2008, 03:26:18 pm

Religion: Pagan-witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #46: February 19, 2008, 06:37:14 pm »

Sad, but true.  I think that being overweight in general is highly stigmatized in our society.

Something is not right when a women is made to feel unsecure for not having the body of a 12 year old boy. 

Personally I think being skinny is just as stigmatised. Skinny people are oppressed.  Its seen as acceptable to say to some one that they are skinny and need to eat more but its not ok to say to a fat person to stop eating so much. (Never mind the horrible, broad sweeping generalisations). It’s a big double standard. Obesity is going to be the death of the NHS if something is not done to help people get to healthy body weights, yet I think  a lot of distorted emphasis is placed on size zero and not enough is done on obesity.

Also at the moment any talkshows psychologist annoys that crap out of me.  Usually the just spout as much dime store psychology in 5 mins thats as useful as advice from a bad horoscope.  I can remember watching Sally Jesse and the psychologist there was shouting over a man (who could not forgive his dad's killer) that he had to forgive and by doing that he would be mostly healed, I mean wtf.

Luceo non uro (I burn but am not consumed)

I birn quil I se (I burn while I shall burn)

Hold fast
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #47: February 19, 2008, 07:26:53 pm »

Also at the moment any talkshows psychologist annoys that crap out of me.  Usually the just spout as much dime store psychology in 5 mins thats as useful as advice from a bad horoscope.  I can remember watching Sally Jesse and the psychologist there was shouting over a man (who could not forgive his dad's killer) that he had to forgive and by doing that he would be mostly healed, I mean wtf.

My Psychology professor from semesters past couldn't stand them (he singled out Dr. Phil in particular).  The thing is that something more in-depth is needed in major cases.

And why would a person absolutely need to forgive someone for killing someone close to them?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #48: February 19, 2008, 08:47:24 pm »

It's the idea that normal = five pounds soaking wet, yes?

That's the part that has to do with the fashion industry, yes.  But it's only really half the story...  Whambamcam touched on this too,  the idea of skinny being stigmatised as well.  There is a big "skinny is pretty!" thing going on, but also there's a lot of "god, she's so skinny, that can't possibly be healthy, she needs to eat a few cheeseburgers".  I know several petite ladies who are perfectly healthy and happy at insanely small sizes (their body structures are typically pretty delicate) and get the "eat a cheeseburger" type of pressure just as much as those of us built on a bit larger scale get the "why don't you look like Barbie" type of pressure.  I dislike both types equally; the best weight for any person is the weight at which they, personally, are healthy and content, and it irks me when society tries to put a number on the "ideal" weight and insist that everyone must aim for that. 

(Actually, it just irks me when society tries to tell a person how they should feel about their bodies, pretty much no matter what that judgement is.  But the whole reverse-Barbie thing is another rant entirely and I think I'm all ranted out for the night.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #49: February 25, 2008, 03:45:21 pm »

I just remembered one that will beat them all:

Steven Cojocaru

I can't stand that walking stereotype and would have forgotten him if this wasn't the time of year where he comes from the sewer or wherever the hell he lives.  Like anyone (who has a life) cares what some overpaid, botox-filled celebrity wears to the Oscars.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Halstrom
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2010, 04:42:20 pm

Religion: Seeker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: February 26, 2008, 05:55:15 pm »

Tyra Banks

Yeah, I didn't like Tyra before she did the whole Witchcraft episode. But after that, I absolutely abhor her!
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #51: February 26, 2008, 10:52:25 pm »

Steven Cojocaru

I personally wish he'd go away and shut the F^$* up!  I mean, really. Who died and made him the celebrity know-it-all judge/god anyway?

As for the rest of the people I can't stand, it's not so much people as it is shows. Hmmm...sounds like a whole 'nother thread to me. Wink In a mo...

People, in no particular order:

1. Jerry Springer - I can't believe I used to enjoy watching his show. >.<
2. Dr. Phil - Shut up already!
3. Donald Trump - 'Nuf said.

4. Sports casters, especially for football - They're loud and annoying.
5. Calista Flockhart - IMO, she's irritating and annoying.
6. Ron Popeil - Who cares about your stupid product that you're hawking today?

That's all I can think of right now...I tend to mostly watch PBS anymore and I don't have cable, dish or satellite. Wink

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: March 03, 2008, 08:16:32 pm »

Even I know it’s not healthy to see rib cages and protruding spines.

I've known some tiny girls whose spines protrude a little who eat like a horse.  Just because they're built to be tiny.

Although, I think you're supposed to be able to see a little rib cage regardless.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #53: March 03, 2008, 08:26:24 pm »

Although, I think you're supposed to be able to see a little rib cage regardless.

I think it really depends on the person. When my ribcage has been visible in the past, it's b/c I was scary underweight. Hasn't been visible atall for some while now... Wink

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
whambamcam
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #54: March 03, 2008, 08:45:42 pm »

I've known some tiny girls whose spines protrude a little who eat like a horse.  Just because they're built to be tiny.

I'm not talking about a little bit of spine poking out, I've seen examples when you can see the segments of the spine.

Its normal to see ribs, its not normal to have your rib cage visible.  If thats the case then why dont we just go to some famine struck country, drape the people in designer labels and voila you cut down the high costs of models.

Hold fast
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #55: March 03, 2008, 09:41:06 pm »

Its normal to see ribs, its not normal to have your rib cage visible.

What's the difference?  I mean, if you can see ribs, surely you can see the outline of the ribcage...

I mean, I know what's unhealthy-looking on a dog, but it's harder to really be sure w/people.

If thats the case then why dont we just go to some famine struck country, drape the people in designer labels and voila you cut down the high costs of models.

This reminds me of Brian Unger's idea to tax celebrity's pimping out of their children.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
whambamcam
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #56: March 04, 2008, 06:47:20 pm »

What's the difference?  I mean, if you can see ribs, surely you can see the outline of the ribcage...

I mean, I know what's unhealthy-looking on a dog, but it's harder to really be sure w/people.

This reminds me of Brian Unger's idea to tax celebrity's pimping out of their children.

Ok here are pics where ribs are visible where people in the pics are at healthy weights or borderline healthy:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh86/examplepic1/boyinterupted_27800994.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh86/examplepic1/7ws96w5.jpg

These are pics of rib cages emerging or highly visible in people who are underweight:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh86/examplepic1/boyinteruptedava.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh86/examplepic1/031120072000.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh86/examplepic1/l_63fad3a192eb42360bcf6463ed8ad870.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh86/examplepic1/qAfQSvVPkQHNKyEbmBdsZjZxIWVEdnbcZXV.jpg

and this is the photo of Kate Moss that is used a lot as thinspo:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh86/examplepic1/kate_moss_gallery_25.jpg

Hold fast
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #57: March 05, 2008, 12:00:14 pm »

Ok here are pics where ribs are visible where people in the pics are at healthy weights or borderline healthy:
<snip links for space>

IMO that second healthy/borderline one looks no better than the first unhealthy one, but point taken.

And in the Kate Moss pic, she looks really strung out.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)