The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 08, 2020, 10:12:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2020, 10:12:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sexuality and Paganism  (Read 10509 times)
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 08, 2008, 03:01:06 pm »

This post is inspired by the following article:

http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=uswa&c=gay&id=12197

More than once when the term Paganism or Pagan has been mentioned in conversation with a non-Pagan they have given me a strange look and said something along the lines of: 'isn't that just a load of orgies..?' (the ones that come to mind are a friend from my history class, and also my step mother).

It can be said that Paganism can often draw such connotations. Sexual orientation is consquently not often thought of as 'a big deal' in Paganism as it is in say Christianity or Judaism. After reading the article, what are your thoughts on the importance of sexual orientation in the Pagan religions?

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: February 08, 2008, 03:18:19 pm »

It can be said that Paganism can often draw such connotations. Sexual orientation is consquently not often thought of as 'a big deal' in Paganism as it is in say Christianity or Judaism. After reading the article, what are your thoughts on the importance of sexual orientation in the Pagan religions?

I think, if you're asking in context of the article, that what you're asking about is not actually "Paganism", it's Wicca and Wiccish religions.  There are plenty of Pagan religions that don't really have the same concept of polarity and duality as the article describes.  While those religions might or might not have anything to say about sexual orientation, if they do it will be from a completely different angle.  Also, the word "Paganism" covers such broad ground that I doubt you're going to come up with anything really unified for Paganism as a group unless you narrow it down more.  (Well, and even then you might not, but you know.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 08, 2008, 04:13:02 pm »

I think, if you're asking in context of the article, that what you're asking about is not actually "Paganism", it's Wicca and Wiccish religions.  There are plenty of Pagan religions that don't really have the same concept of polarity and duality as the article describes.  While those religions might or might not have anything to say about sexual orientation, if they do it will be from a completely different angle.  Also, the word "Paganism" covers such broad ground that I doubt you're going to come up with anything really unified for Paganism as a group unless you narrow it down more.  (Well, and even then you might not, but you know.)

I realised the article was from a pretty much Wiccan point of view, but I thought it would be good to bounce off from. Personally, I agree with what you have said. There will be absolutely no unified Pagan view of sexual orientation, but that's ok. It would just be interesting to hear how those who are Pagan view the stigma of 'sexually liberal' that is attached to Paganism (albeit mostly Wicca- but that does seem to be the one in the media's lime light).

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
whambamcam
Journeyman
Last Login:April 27, 2008, 03:26:18 pm

Religion: Pagan-witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 08, 2008, 05:10:49 pm »

http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=uswa&c=gay&id=12197

More than once when the term Paganism or Pagan has been mentioned in conversation with a non-Pagan they have given me a strange look and said something along the lines of: 'isn't that just a load of orgies..?' (the ones that come to mind are a friend from my history class, and also my step mother).

Speaking from my own views I donít really hold much importance to gender or sexuality and gender in my religion.  One of the reasons why I left Wicca was because I donít believe in gender polarity: since a lot of our views on gender are socially constructed, not to mention that every one has to fit in to ďtotal maleĒ and ďtotal femaleĒ. Thatís psychologically speaking.

Of course a lot of people donít fit in to male or female biologically speaking (XX chromosomes and XY chromosomes).  I watched a programme about intersex on Channel 4 in the UK which some experts predicted that 5% of the population are born intersex.  So people with Turners (XO) and Kleinfelters (sp) (XXY) donít fit in to clear male or female.

It fits people in to gender roles which are not always a good thing.  It can be very damaging.

Most pagans I have met are open minded i.e. couldnít give a crap about what sexual orientation you are, it doesnít effect how you worship.  To me my religion is that religion, not a social movement.  The gods donít seem to care Iím gay (well Hathor doesnít anyways Tongue).  That of course doesnít mean I have encountered like minded people, I have met one Wiccan who was very homophobic. So to kind of conclude that attitudes are far are far ranging from the fruit nuts who claim every one is bisexual to narrow minded bigots.

There are also plenty of pagans who have Christian attitudes to things like sex, just because one leaves a religion behind doesnít mean they leave everything behind especially if itís enforced heavily in society.  Like polygamous relationships, Iíve never met a pagan in one (or chatted to one online).  Also lets be honest a lot of Christians and Jews have the same sexual behaviour as any one else, in the UK its rare for some one to remain a virgin until married (though maybe that explains why we have the highest teenage pregnancy and abortion rate in Europe).

Hmmm I think Iíve rambled on about nonsense.  Time for more liquid crack aka coffee to wake me up.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 06:50:36 pm by whambamcam » Logged

Luceo non uro (I burn but am not consumed)

I birn quil I se (I burn while I shall burn)

Hold fast
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: February 08, 2008, 05:15:44 pm »

My first comment is that any group that is going to use any type of sexual activity during ritual needs to let people know about it in advance.

I don't have any thoughts on it at all as there are too many different Pagan religions for an general discussion to make sense.  Look at the differences of opinion between liberal and conservative Christianity -- and that's just one religion.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 08, 2008, 05:59:24 pm »

Speaking from my own views I donít really hold much importance to gender or sexuality and gender in my religion.  One of the reasons why I left Wicca was because I donít believe in gender polarity: since a lot of our views on gender are socially constructed, not to mention that every one fits in to ďtotal maleĒ and ďtotal femaleĒ. Thatís psychologically speaking.

Yeah, I think that's a good point. In particular, I find gender roles to be completely socially constructed. It's almost as if little girls and boys are put into a category before they've even hit puberty of what 'role' they are to fulfill in life. A study such as sociolologist Sue Sharpe's study of the gender roles seen in children's books really shows how society can shape and construct young minds. But this of course can be seen as a biased study, as Sue Sharpe was already a self proclaimed Radical Feminist, and so she was no doubt hunting to find gender stereotypes to begin with.

Also lets be honest a lot of Christians and Jews have the same sexual behaviour as any one else, in the UK its rare for some one to remain a virgin until married (though maybe that explains why we have the highest teenage pregnancy and abortion rate in Europe).

Yeah, we do. It's a shame. I would say where my husband is from in the US, a much higher percentage of people stay a virgin until they are married than they do in the UK. But that's because he's from the fringe of the so-called 'bible belt' and so Christianity evidently plays a big part in that.

But then again, look at somewhere like the Netherlands. They are just SO open about all aspects of sex, and the teenage pregnancy rate there isn't anything like ours! It's as if it isn't taboo anymore, and so teenagers aren't as inclined to 'do it' just to p*ss off their parents.

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
whambamcam
Journeyman
Last Login:April 27, 2008, 03:26:18 pm

Religion: Pagan-witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 08, 2008, 07:00:16 pm »

Yeah, I think that's a good point. In particular, I find gender roles to be completely socially constructed. It's almost as if little girls and boys are put into a category before they've even hit puberty of what 'role' they are to fulfill in life. A study such as sociolologist Sue Sharpe's study of the gender roles seen in children's books really shows how society can shape and construct young minds. But this of course can be seen as a biased study, as Sue Sharpe was already a self proclaimed Radical Feminist, and so she was no doubt hunting to find gender stereotypes to begin with.

Yeah, we do. It's a shame. I would say where my husband is from in the US, a much higher percentage of people stay a virgin until they are married than they do in the UK. But that's because he's from the fringe of the so-called 'bible belt' and so Christianity evidently plays a big part in that.

But then again, look at somewhere like the Netherlands. They are just SO open about all aspects of sex, and the teenage pregnancy rate there isn't anything like ours! It's as if it isn't taboo anymore, and so teenagers aren't as inclined to 'do it' just to p*ss off their parents.

A good book that explores one of the biggest myths is, When She was Bad by Patricia Pearson, exploding the idea that women are all, innocent, passive and not at all violent (she attacks both misogynistic men and feminists. Men who overlook female violence because they cant see women as powerful or to be feared and feminists playing the victimhood card).  Itís an interesting read.  I think here the biggest button that can be pressed is female violence such as murdering or torturing children. 

I think that gender roles are incredibly enforced in various pagan traditions. Iíve seen a lot of examples of ďall loving mother goddessĒ, title thrown on beings such as Tiamet total twisting how they were worshiped in the past.  Seeing Tiamet as that is like saying that Zeus was completely faithful to Hera.

Its also laughable how some who worship deities that gave birth to everything as ignoring the sex myths and the gods sexuality.  Personally Iíve always wanted to ask a fertility goddess after giving birth to various beings etc, what happens to the after birth.  Yes I am weird. 

On a side note one thing that does annoy me is placing one gender above the other.   I donít see how the discrimination of men is any more valid or reasonable than discrimination of women.  Looking at Wicca in its origins was sexist.  A priestess was supposed to step down when she was no longer young and pretty.

I can remember watching the childrenísí TV show my parents are aliens, the only show that actually showed the exploration of gender and sexuality.  I was actually shocked when I saw to men kissing on it.  Anyways Iím rambling againÖ

From my school we got limited discussions about sex which I think is a big problem.  What we where taught was not helpful. The teacher was too embarrassed to teach so just shoved on a video from the 1980s.  We got taught nothing on sexuality.  Surprisingly we got a few teenage pregnancies lol.

Luceo non uro (I burn but am not consumed)

I birn quil I se (I burn while I shall burn)

Hold fast
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 08, 2008, 07:22:25 pm »

A good book that explores one of the biggest myths is, When She was Bad by Patricia Pearson, exploding the idea that women are all, innocent, passive and not at all violent (she attacks both misogynistic men and feminists. Men who overlook female violence because they cant see women as powerful or to be feared and feminists playing the victimhood card).  Itís an interesting read.  I think here the biggest button that can be pressed is female violence such as murdering or torturing children.

We did a module 'Crime and Deviance' in my sociology class, and one of the things we looked at was actually women and violent crime. You're right, it was quite shocking to read about. And I do think it was so shocking (perhaps more surprising to hear about than a male violent crime) was because of society's views of women as the more passive, less aggressive, gender.

However, if you look at something like the prison population of the UK, the majority of women are in prison for stealing. There is a much higher percentage of men in prison for violent crimes. That can either be because of three things: one, women are in fact the less aggressive gender. Two, women are less aggressive because they are brought up to believe that they are (a type of self-fulfilling prophecy) or three, women are less likely to get caught.

Gosh, what a tangent this thread has gotten on to..!

From my school we got limited discussions about sex which I think is a big problem.  What we where taught was not helpful. The teacher was too embarrassed to teach so just shoved on a video from the 1980s.  We got taught nothing on sexuality.  Surprisingly we got a few teenage pregnancies lol.

I went to an all-girl, Catholic high school and therefore we had extremely limited sex education (the only thing we were told was that the best form of contraception is no sex at all...) And yes, there were one or two pregnancy scares... *shrugs* Perhaps the Netherlands have got it right.

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: February 08, 2008, 08:13:37 pm »

I really hate the idea that I'm some kind of easy lay 'cause I'm Pagan.  I ran into that a lot in college.

Of course, I was the virgin of all my friends .. many of whom were Christian or Jewish. Tongue

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 08, 2008, 11:16:49 pm »

Yeah, I think that's a good point. In particular, I find gender roles to be completely socially constructed.

I do not agree. I think men and women are hard wired differently, biologically. I think the sexes hold different priorities and think and communicate very differently. I also do not think there is anything wrong or weird about that, one way is not better or worse than the other. Odd as it sounds after that statement, I also believe each person has both male and female aspects to their personality, or perhaps a better way to say it is people have what society would label male and female aspects within themselves. I do agree wholeheartedly that social constructs are a big factor in unnatural gender roles, however, and can lay very silly limitations on people.

Although teenage pregnancy is not anything to be desired, I believe a great deal of it comes from lack of education, frank talks about sex and being afraid to get birth control (both male an female) because of what parents might say/do.

However, I would never have wanted my children or anyone I knew to get married with out having sex with their future partner. Lots of it. Sex plays a huge role in life and I could not imagine making vows with a person I knew so superficially and never slept with!. Perhaps this is where the concept of Pagan Orgies comes from, it's an all or nothing sort of thing with so many repressed people, either you are a virgin or a slut. Silly thinking, IMO. How about intelligent acceptance as sex as a wonderful and vital part of life, useful for so many things, and not to be shared lightly? I think being a virgin till marriage is a very stupid thing to do and I also think have sex irresponsibly and with anyone walking by equally stupid. My own kids lived for a year or more with the women they later married, I would have been very concerned otherwise for the relationship. Now of course none of the preceding mini rant is pointed at the posters here.

I have known only one Wiccan group who, although not homophobic, was very into the necessity of both genders being present for rituals or magic. They were the only group in the many, many Pagans and witches I have known who felt that was necessary, however, everyone else could have cared less about sexual orientation, as long as the energy was good. I personally have only done sex magic or skyclad rituals with my husband alone, I have never found a group of people I felt I knew well enough to do anything like that in a group. But then I haven't found a group of people I felt I knew well enough to do run of the mill magic with either  Grin

I am what you'd call a social witch, I work solitary almost all of the time but celebrate holidays with a group of like minded folks. Most of my friends are Pagans of one sort or another.
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: February 09, 2008, 12:57:36 am »

Speaking from my own views I donít really hold much importance to gender or sexuality and gender in my religion.  One of the reasons why I left Wicca was because I donít believe in gender polarity: since a lot of our views on gender are socially constructed, not to mention that every one has to fit in to ďtotal maleĒ and ďtotal femaleĒ. Thatís psychologically speaking.

That's also one of my major incompatibilities with Wicca-derived religions.

Like polygamous relationships, Iíve never met a pagan in one (or chatted to one online).

Hi!

(Well, technically not polygamous; I'm only engaged to my second partner at this point.)

Taja
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 24, 2011, 02:46:38 pm
Switzerland Switzerland

Religion: Kemetic