The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 19, 2021, 02:13:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2021, 02:13:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Another New Wiccan  (Read 8212 times)
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #15: February 11, 2008, 08:24:41 am »

I'll remove the poll for you, if I can do it without removing your thread.

Marilyn
Staff

Done.

Marilyn

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: February 11, 2008, 08:47:37 am »

:)My Name is Lesley aka. Little Owl

Welcome to The Cauldron, Lesley!

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
littleowl
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 13, 2008, 07:31:17 pm

Religion: wiccan/hereditary witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: February 11, 2008, 01:28:34 pm »

How in the heck do you verify that with family history?

some mormans on the internet have it recorded is what she just told me

WiCcAn AnD DaMn PrOud Of It.!

<3~LeSLeY
littleowl
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: February 11, 2008, 01:33:18 pm »

Same here. Is it a store that is geared directly towards Pagan/Wiccans? Or is it just a store that contains the books along with other "regular" things? (for lack of a better word...)
Where I am... We do not have any store that is actually for pagans/wiccans what-have-you... It's a generic bookstore, in a generic mall, with generic incense (that DOES come in handy and is pretty inexpensive.)
 (they all have their own sense of spirituality however.) The only person I know okay enough that I would discuss and perhaps do group ritual with would be my boyfriend, because I know him real well, and he knows me. And I know I can trust him completely.

yes the store is geared directly towards wiccans, and weird but true it is right across the street from a church so they are not open on sundays.
yes most of my friend have thier own spirituality or dont really care. my boyfriend knows i do witch craft but he never has gotten the full grasp of it. he is always scared that when he makes my mom mad she will get so mad she cant handle what "magic" happens to him. he is scared to death of her

<3~LeSLeY
Autumns_Rose
Apprentice
Last Login:April 07, 2008, 08:07:27 am

Religion: wiccan/pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: February 11, 2008, 11:31:49 pm »

I think she said her grandmother was Pocahontas; not related to.

Is not a grandparent relation? It's all in the family tree -but maybe a different branch. Grin

Autumns_Rose

I believe that your background may have an influence on who you are -but only you are responsible for who you become.
Taja
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 24, 2011, 02:46:38 pm
Switzerland Switzerland

Religion: Kemetic

Powered by coffee

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: February 11, 2008, 11:58:46 pm »

Is not a grandparent relation? It's all in the family tree -but maybe a different branch. Grin
I don't get your meaning.
littleowl
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: February 12, 2008, 12:00:35 pm »

Done.

Marilyn

Thanks for removing the poll. So when starting t thread you just dont fill out the question and options forum. I'm a little confused about how to start a thread. Sorry i don't have much common sense.  Huh Roll Eyes

<3~LeSLeY
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #22: February 12, 2008, 01:18:12 pm »

Thanks for removing the poll. So when starting t thread you just dont fill out the question and options forum. I'm a little confused about how to start a thread. Sorry i don't have much common sense.  Huh Roll Eyes

I think you're still looking at the wrong thing to begin with.  On the screen where you're looking at the forum/folder where you want to start the thread, you seem to have been clicking on "Post New Poll".  Directly to the left of that button should be one that says "New Topic".  If you click on the topic one instead of the poll, you won't have any questions or options to fill out, you'll just have a blank box (like when you're replying, only without the quote).  That's what you want to click to start a new thread, the "New Topic" button.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
littleowl
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 13, 2008, 07:31:17 pm »

I think you're still looking at the wrong thing to begin with.  On the screen where you're looking at the forum/folder where you want to start the thread, you seem to have been clicking on "Post New Poll".  Directly to the left of that button should be one that says "New Topic".  If you click on the topic one instead of the poll, you won't have any questions or options to fill out, you'll just have a blank box (like when you're replying, only without the quote).  That's what you want to click to start a new thread, the "New Topic" button.

Okay thank you so much. I get it now!  Shocked

<3~LeSLeY
Lark
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 01, 2013, 06:00:21 pm
Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: March 21, 2008, 11:46:53 am »

:)My Name is Lesley aka. Little Owl (which is my given Native American name.) I am 17, and just graduated high school. I'm in college and majoring in Criminal Psychology. 4years ago i discovered i was a witch. It was Hereditary from my mothers side.My mom and i found out i had the powers when i would go somewhere else in my dreams, and real people would think i was with them when infact i wasn't.I am also 1/4 cherokee indian, my grandmother was really pocahontus believe me or not my mom did the background research.  If there is anything else just ask me i will be happy to answer. Grin

You are aware I assume that Pocohantas was not Cherokee? 

One has to be careful when using the on-line research sites in genealogy, especially the one run by the Latter Day Saints.  The information on their site is provided by other researchers (not trained genealogists) and is full of errors and misinformation.  I know people who claim to have traced their line directly back to Adam and Eve using the LDS site.

-Lark-
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: March 21, 2008, 05:51:33 pm »

I know people who claim to have traced their line directly back to Adam and Eve using the LDS site.

Shocked I'm totally boggled by this. So boggled I can't think of anything coherent to say. Shocked

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #26: March 21, 2008, 06:04:11 pm »

One has to be careful when using the on-line research sites in genealogy, especially the one run by the Latter Day Saints.  The information on their site is provided by other researchers (not trained genealogists) and is full of errors and misinformation.  I know people who claim to have traced their line directly back to Adam and Eve using the LDS site.

-Lark-
LOL, they must have used medieval sources uncritically. I guess there are also some Troyan descendants, maybe lining back to Eneas, son of the Goddess Venus.  Tongue

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: March 21, 2008, 09:17:56 pm »

You are aware I assume that Pocohantas was not Cherokee? 

-Lark-

well, I suppose if you want to be picky, by their lights EVERYONE would go back to Adam and Eve!

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Lark
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 01, 2013, 06:00:21 pm
Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: March 22, 2008, 10:54:10 am »

Shocked I'm totally boggled by this. So boggled I can't think of anything coherent to say. Shocked

The problem is that lots of people go into genealogy with an agenda.  Say they want to prove they are the direct descendant of Henry VIII.  So they start from the two ends and try to find "facts" that make the two ends meet somewhere in the middle.  Like with statistics, it's not hard to make genealogy say what you want it to say.  To do it right you have to start with yourself and research it backwards one step at a time with proof of each connection along the way.  It's not an easy thing to do once you get back several generations.

Most people with links to England can't go back prior to 1574 when they mandated that all births, marriages, and deaths be documented in the parish records.  Unless you have proof of a connection to the nobility that pretty well ends the line for most of us.  Other countries are even harder.  In fact one of the hardest leaps to make is that of the immigrant ancestor here in the US.  I have one line that goes back to Virginia in 1653, but I cannot find who the immigrant was or where they came from.

For those who are researching their lines for the LDS Church the goal is of course to go back to Adam and Eve.  Things get pretty dicey out there with people making assumptions about connections without any proof.  A lot of people use the IGI (International Genealogical Index) which is kept by the LDS, but the information in the IGI is not proven information, it is stuff submitted by non-professionals "proving" their line.  It can be a hint at a place to start your research, but certainly not proof of anything.

I've been working on the genealogy of my family since the 1970's, at least off and on as a hobby.  Very few notable people in my line, although we have a distant connection to the Lyons of Glamis (the family of the late Queen Mother).  And that connection I do have direct proof of in the form of a letter confirming the link from the Lord Lion, King of Arms (official keeper of the genealogies for the nobility) of Scotland.

Of note here is that Pocahontas is a nickname, not the real name of the individual.  She was of the Powhatan tribe from the Pamunkey region of Eastern Virginia and totally unrelated to the Cherokee.  She only had one child, making the number of descendants rather slim.

-Lark-

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)