The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 26, 2022, 07:14:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2022, 07:14:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Any Book Suggestions?  (Read 5468 times)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #15: February 12, 2008, 03:02:05 am »

There has been a trend, w/r/t Pagan/Wiccan/Witchcraft books, in the last 15-20 years, to assume that those new to the study "can't handle" anything but the simplest information.  But, books that are, today, often labelled as "too advanced for beginners" were the beginner books a few decades ago - possibly some of the newer authors found them "too hard", and that's part of why they write hand-holding baby-steps no-big-words books now, but since many, many fine practitioners did not find them "too hard" back in the day, I would suggest that it's not the books, but Paganism/Witchcraft itself, that's "too hard" for those hypothetical authors.
That's a good warning, I'll consider in my book-search too.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: February 12, 2008, 08:36:19 am »

There has been a trend, w/r/t Pagan/Wiccan/Witchcraft books, in the last 15-20 years, to assume that those new to the study "can't handle" anything but the simplest information.  But, books that are, today, often labelled as "too advanced for beginners" were the beginner books a few decades ago - possibly some of the newer authors found them "too hard", and that's part of why they write hand-holding baby-steps no-big-words books now, but since many, many fine practitioners did not find them "too hard" back in the day, I would suggest that it's not the books, but Paganism/Witchcraft itself, that's "too hard" for those hypothetical authors.

::Applauding:: I really get tired of hearing that books I found just fine as beginner books at age 13-15 in the early 70s are somehow "too advanced" now for even adult beginners. Apparently because the authors back then did not grab the reader's nose and lead him/her around with said nose firmly in their grasp while explaining that doing so was in the reader's best interest in baby talk.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Diamond NightShade
Master Member
Last Login:May 15, 2008, 06:55:38 pm
United States United States

Religion: Nature-focused paganism, with many Christian influences perhaps.

Ah-ber: Sweet yet crazy... Yep that's me!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: February 12, 2008, 10:02:05 am »

You make several mentions (here and in your other book thread) of whether books are "good for beginners".  Honestly, there are very few (if any) books that are "too advanced" for beginners; most of the books I don't advise for beginners aren't "advanced", they're misleading unless the reader already has some background.
.snip.
The impression I get is that you've run across a lot of mentions of books being "too advanced for beginners", and are concerned that you might get in over your head if you don't stick to beginner books - in reality, that's highly unlikely.
Sunflower
Actually, you got it dead on, Sunflower... I have seen many mentions of "too advanced" but, as you have said, at first glance they didn't seem all that difficult for me to understand. Also, anothe rof my worries was that if I got a magick book, then I might get too in over with that. But actually, I think I would prefer just making my own rituals and spells, based off a few <good>, not popular, ones. And I think that maybe I should stop looking for the "not too advanced for thou" ones, because I am not a complete dunce, and if I find something I don't understand, there IS a wonderful new concept that we call "looking for more sources". (well, not new, but to some people, you would think it is, and that it's something to shy away from. heh)

I will keep that in mind next time I go on a book hunt! hehe.

So on a different note then, and good just regular ole BOOKS out there that any would suggest based on my first few posts? Wink

"I would like an order of crazy, with a touch of confusion on the side, please! Thanks you!"
-Myself

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)