The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 24, 2020, 06:35:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2020, 06:35:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Common Ground?  (Read 14971 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: March 27, 2007, 09:17:55 pm »

When Randall first floated the idea of developing Reformed Hellenic Reconstructionism, several of us indicated that we would like to work on a parallel project for Reformed Celtic Reconstructionism (working title).

Now, as we begin to think about HOW exactly to do that and WHAT exactly that means, I'm wondering WHY each of us is interested in this.  What draws us to this project? 

Maybe there is some common ground that can form part of the foundation of our fledgling creation.

(This question was inspired by Shadow, when I asked her, during a chat, how she had started to write her religion, FlameKeeping.)

For me, I'm drawn to ancient Celtic history, art, and archeology because of my relationship with Brighid.  At least I *think* that's why.  It might be the other way around (drawn to Brighid because of an interest in Celtic things, but I don't think so). 

I'm actually less interested in the myths and legends than I probably should be.  But I am very interested in the history and archeology and, especially, in the worldview and spirituality, and the thinking about humans and their relationship to the gods.

Geographically, I'm most interested in Ireland, but not to the exclusion of any other areas.

I was immediately drawn to this project because I'm looking for a practical, coherent spirituality that works in my world today.

Anyone else?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

phoukamare
Master Member
Last Login:May 12, 2009, 10:56:35 pm

Religion: Irish pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 27, 2007, 09:27:29 pm »

When Randall first floated the idea of developing Reformed Hellenic Reconstructionism, several of us indicated that we would like to work on a parallel project for Reformed Celtic Reconstructionism (working title).

Now, as we begin to think about HOW exactly to do that and WHAT exactly that means, I'm wondering WHY each of us is interested in this.  What draws us to this project? 

Maybe there is some common ground that can form part of the foundation of our fledgling creation.

(This question was inspired by Shadow, when I asked her, during a chat, how she had started to write her religion, FlameKeeping.)

For me, I'm drawn to ancient Celtic history, art, and archeology because of my relationship with Brighid.  At least I *think* that's why.  It might be the other way around (drawn to Brighid because of an interest in Celtic things, but I don't think so). 

I'm actually less interested in the myths and legends than I probably should be.  But I am very interested in the history and archeology and, especially, in the worldview and spirituality, and the thinking about humans and their relationship to the gods.

Geographically, I'm most interested in Ireland, but not to the exclusion of any other areas.

I was immediately drawn to this project because I'm looking for a practical, coherent spirituality that works in my world today.

Anyone else?

My turn. My grandparents came from Ireland and I've alway been drawn to the stories, music and history. I've read everything I could get my hands on dealing with the archeology, history, mythology and spirituality of and pre-Christian Irish. I'm not discounting the modern history either. I spent 6 weeks traveling around Ireland in '89 and met some of my relatives that did not emmigrate.

I've tried the more formal recon groups and couldn't get past the insistence on learning Gaelic to be a 'serious' practioner.

So, that brings me to now. I would like to have a more communal experience.

Phouka
disillusioned
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 11:13:36 am

Religion: Celtic Polytheist

I didn't do it.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 27, 2007, 09:29:50 pm »

Moon Ivy, I hate to do a "me too" post, but... me too. To pretty much everything you said.

I want to focus more on the *practice* of my spirituality rather than spending all my time staring at a book or computer screen, prepping myself for the CR scholar pop quiz that comes up any time one stumbles upon a CR-type community.  And, honestly, a large part of my spirituality is UPG, and I want there to be room for that.  After all, I think it's pretty safe to say that every religion pretty much started off as UPG. Wink  It had to begin somewhere, right?

So, yeah, I strongly desire to understand the ways of my predecessors, but I want room for personal gnosis too.  My geographic area of interest has long been Ireland, but not to the exclusion of other places.  My god-relationships have been pretty much Brighid and Lugh for the most part.  Occasionally, I'll have a conversation with Ganesha, which I realise is a little weird, but he's a nice enough chap and we get on well. Wink

Out beyond ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing
There is a field:
I'll meet you there. - Rumi
disillusioned
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 11:13:36 am

Religion: Celtic Polytheist

I didn't do it.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 27, 2007, 09:32:58 pm »

I've tried the more formal recon groups and couldn't get past the insistence on learning Gaelic to be a 'serious' practioner.

Well, doncha know, Phouka?  You're only 2nd generation emmigre.  Spreaking Irish should be simple to you! (Nevermind that I know people who *grew up* there and can't speak it either. Tongue ) </sarcasm>

Out beyond ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing
There is a field:
I'll meet you there. - Rumi
phoukamare
Master Member
Last Login:May 12, 2009, 10:56:35 pm

Religion: Irish pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 27, 2007, 09:35:49 pm »

Well, doncha know, Phouka?  You're only 2nd generation emmigre.  Spreaking Irish should be simple to you! (Nevermind that I know people who *grew up* there and can't speak it either. Tongue ) </sarcasm>

The weird thing is, my mom used to tell me that my grandfather and his friend spoke Irish and that my first sentence was a mix of Irish and English. But he died when I was 4 and I lost the language. No one else spoke it. Sometimes when I hear it, I ALMOST understand.

Phouka
loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 27, 2007, 09:50:27 pm »

I wont say I am interested in Celtic reconstructionism, but I am interested in some Celtic history and archeology.   My grandfather came from Wales in 1880.  At that time the Welch language was all but extint, Welch place names few.  So I did not learn much about his home area.  Maybe that is why I'm interested.  I've read some Welch mythology and folklore.
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #6: March 27, 2007, 10:47:56 pm »

What draws us to this project?

Conair an Cheo started as a path that could be CR-like but with more room for UPG, and less trying to mimic the way things were done and more trying to see how they'd be doing it today. Which, admittedly, is what the CRs say they're trying to do, but I think they tend to get too caught up in the reconstructing bit, without looking at recreating the purpose of the practices.

And then, more UPG crept in than I'd planned (like redoing the pantheon with a modern name, etc). I'm still really interested in how ancient beliefs and ideas can be applied to modern life and practice, so I'm sticking my nose into the process to see what everyone comes up with. Grin

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: March 27, 2007, 11:56:39 pm »

Anyone else?

While I don't know much of anything about Celtic Reconstructionism, I will admit that I've been drawn to just about all things Celtic...history, stories, etc.  I've checked out and absorbed books from the library on the ancient Celts and Ireland and Scotland. I've found and absorbed information online, too.

Like the ancient Celts, I've found MY worship outside in Nature. I don't know about them but I feel confined and out of sorts when I'm in a building for worship. (Well, at least I *think* they did.) I live by the sun...outside and, well, alive during the spring, summer and early fall, and then drawing inward, "battening down the hatches" and what not, preparing for winter.

I've long had a fascination for Bridget. In fact, while reading this thread, I remembered something I'd forgotten...several years ago, I read about Her sacred flame at Kildare and I wanted to be a Keeper then!!! Now I *am* a Keeper!

I've often wanted to travel  to Ireland and Scotland but haven't been able to make it there yet. Someday I want to go. I'd love to visit Tara and Stonehenge (ok, ok, I know Stonehenge isn't in Ireland or Scotland.) and then settle down in the Highlands of Scotland. I have to wonder if this isn't because my family came from Scotland via Ireland and I'm feeling the "pull" to return home.

So I may just add my two cents' worth now and then in this thread.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 11:58:53 pm by Celtee, Reason: To fix end bold code » Logged

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 28, 2007, 10:30:15 am »

Anyone else?

I tend to come at anything religious with a reconstructionist approach (though this is far more problematic with Celtic than Hellenic). My roots are Celtic (Irish/Scots) so my interest and personal practice is heavy on the folk/ancestral side of things. I'm particularly close to Aine and Brighid.

Caroline
Egalas
Journeyman
Last Login:September 11, 2011, 02:34:10 pm

Religion: More of a Spiritual being then Religious

Ignorant people shouldn't breed!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 28, 2007, 08:23:28 pm »

Anyone else?

For me, I have always been facinated with the ancient Celts, the history, dress, stories, music, and some mythology.  I can trace ties to both Scots, and Irish from both sides of my family and am intrigued with learning more.  I look forward to this as something of great importance and can't wait to see what transpires.

---===<<< 0 >>>===---
"Perception is the key to unlocking the power of the subconscious mind…"
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: March 28, 2007, 10:14:44 pm »

I look forward to this as something of great importance and can't wait to see what transpires.

But no pressure, right?  Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
sara_marie
Apprentice
Last Login:May 06, 2007, 11:38:31 pm

Religion: Celtic polytheist

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 28, 2007, 11:43:55 pm »

I have to say that I really like the "reformed reconstructionist" idea.

I am more or less a "hard" polytheist who believes in most gods and goddesses out there, even Yahweh (although I'll admit my view of him is quite different from the norm... after all, he's just one out of many gods, and not one I'm particularly concerned with), but my attention all goes to the gods of Irish lore.

Standard reconstructionism isn't really my thing.  I like the idea, rather, of being a polytheist who is fairly consistent about where my gods that I honor come from and the culture that was/is tied to them, but I'm also 100% modern and don't limit myself to exactly what I read in the folklore in my spiritual practice.  It's not trying to pass fantasy off as reality, cultural imperialism, or anything like that.  I'm respectful, but I do what I do.

Lots of discussion about Celtic gods, folklore, culture, etc. would be great.  I definitely want to learn more, since I haven't read half as much as I would have liked to by now.  I'd also like to see a variety of practices people who honor Celtic gods have, whether those practices are strictly Celtic or not, and even just some general stuff about bringing the past into the present... what stays, what goes, and what other cultures have done over the years in places where monotheism never became dominant (like in parts of Africa and a lot of Asia, or even Native Americans).

"Don'ts you remember beings a little kids when you teeths woulds falls out and grows back and you would get the old one under the pillow so the ancient Norse god Orthar, the tooths collector, woulds leaves you a Pickle's Nickel?!" - Toki, Metalocalypse
Egalas
Journeyman
Last Login:September 11, 2011, 02:34:10 pm

Religion: More of a Spiritual being then Religious

Ignorant people shouldn't breed!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 29, 2007, 04:39:03 pm »

But no pressure, right?  Wink

Well there is this feeling of a vise and my head between the feet of it but, hey, I thought that was just a coincidence.  LOL

---===<<< 0 >>>===---
"Perception is the key to unlocking the power of the subconscious mind…"
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: March 29, 2007, 07:29:38 pm »

Conair an Cheo started as a path that could be CR-like but with more room for UPG, and less trying to mimic the way things were done and more trying to see how they'd be doing it today. Which, admittedly, is what the CRs say they're trying to do, but I think they tend to get too caught up in the reconstructing bit, without looking at recreating the purpose of the practices.

And then, more UPG crept in than I'd planned (like redoing the pantheon with a modern name, etc). I'm still really interested in how ancient beliefs and ideas can be applied to modern life and practice, so I'm sticking my nose into the process to see what everyone comes up with. Grin

Juni, I guess I'll have to do the "me too" post!

Though UPG informs a great deal of my path, I still approach Brigid (and will approach several new gods I've recently been called to) in a reconstructionist way, and I celebrate the fire-festivals with as many traditional... erm... traditions as I can, in supplement to my own creations.  I'm also interested in the stories and mythology and ancient beliefs being applied to modern living. 

As for the "original" question, I guess I became interested in all things Celtic because of the stories, and because I have strong strains of Irish and Welsh in me.  After I was done with Greek mythology at an early age, I wasn't satisfied enough--the stories just didn't hold that much power for me.  Then I read Tolkien, and even more of Tolkien, and began reading about Tolkien's sources.  I read Norse mythology, Finnish mythology, and finally Celtic mythology... and the rest is history.  Wink

I don't know how big of a role I'll play in this process (probably just lurking in the corners), but I will definitely follow this closely.  I feel like this is important, and that my own path will grow because of it.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 30, 2007, 07:47:12 pm »

I was pretty stoked when I saw this board... finally, some folks interested in celtic topics I can actually talk to!

My personal goal in learning more about the ancient Celtic ways is not so much to reconstruct as to put together a Celtic Witchcraft that viably incorporates real Celtic practices. So much of what's out there is just Witchcraft with shamrocks on it, and that's not what I want... nor is it what Brigit is pushing me into.

So I've been researching Celtic topics, and I've joined the ADF (renewed my membership, actually), and I continue to train and study with my coven. I'm definitely still in the research phase and need to come up with some sort of plan for looking at topics. What I really need is to be able to work with people who do have time to read the heavy scholarly tomes that can sift the chaff out for me... I just don't have the time I'd like to be reading everything and tracking down out of print books. Perhaps this SIG can become the "CR for Dummies" I've been looking for?  Smiley

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)