The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2020, 02:44:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 02:44:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Common Ground?  (Read 14976 times)
Glas Cailleach
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 22, 2008, 08:27:02 am
Australia Australia

Religion: bit of This, bit of That

'Be different like us' - 'Hmm no.. I have a life'

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: August 12, 2007, 07:44:44 am »

Now, as we begin to think about HOW exactly to do that and WHAT exactly that means, I'm wondering WHY each of us is interested in this.  What draws us to this project? 

Okay okay I understand no ones posted in this thread for a while but since I'm a recent addition to the site I think perhaps adding to previous threads could help me create my own lil backside crease on this 'newbie' cushion and also open myself up so you get to know me a bit more.

Well I think this celtic recon reform idea is fantastic as the Celtic pantheon, mythology, history, etc is somewhat of a love of mine.
My whole family is from the whole of the UK... Im the first aussie out of the bunch Tongue
Both parents are scottish.. but my granmother and her side of the family are from Ireland. Since I was a young child Ireland has been an obsessive fantasy of mine lol.
Alas, do not get me wrong as I also have an obsession with the whole of the UK and european countries.
Norse mythology and round those areas has always caught my interest though...

Lol I must laugh considering Im actually learning Gaelic *cheesy grin* - so I must be a serious celtic recon now? lol jk!!

Nah, Im just learning it considering I think it sounds awesome and apparently some of my family used to speak it. Curiosity killed the cat as they say...

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

shawn
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 06, 2008, 12:05:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: celtic reconstructionist / irish

Dedicated to Taranis. God of storms.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: January 05, 2008, 08:04:01 pm »

When Randall first floated the idea of developing Reformed Hellenic Reconstructionism, several of us indicated that we would like to work on a parallel project for Reformed Celtic Reconstructionism (working title).

Now, as we begin to think about HOW exactly to do that and WHAT exactly that means, I'm wondering WHY each of us is interested in this.  What draws us to this project? 

Maybe there is some common ground that can form part of the foundation of our fledgling creation.

(This question was inspired by Shadow, when I asked her, during a chat, how she had started to write her religion, FlameKeeping.)

For me, I'm drawn to ancient Celtic history, art, and archeology because of my relationship with Brighid.  At least I *think* that's why.  It might be the other way around (drawn to Brighid because of an interest in Celtic things, but I don't think so). 

I'm actually less interested in the myths and legends than I probably should be.  But I am very interested in the history and archeology and, especially, in the worldview and spirituality, and the thinking about humans and their relationship to the gods.

Geographically, I'm most interested in Ireland, but not to the exclusion of any other areas.

I was immediately drawn to this project because I'm looking for a practical, coherent spirituality that works in my world today.

Anyone else?

I am drawn to this because i am a celtic reconstructionist. I have very little interest in new-age. I feel like "i'm home" with other reconstructionists. Like a family of like minded individuals. I am very satisfied with this SIG and am so thankfull ya'll came up with it. I am not wiccan, witch, or any of the popular new-age things. I am a celt. I am irish, scotish and british. I am a celt by spirit and by blood. The things that interested the celts of old also interest me. The more i learn about the celts, the more i realize how celtic i am.

It's raining,it's pouring.Storms are so adoring.
Savage_Spirit
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 03, 2008, 07:28:10 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Reformed Celtic Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 23, 2008, 02:47:40 pm »

When Randall first floated the idea of developing Reformed Hellenic Reconstructionism, several of us indicated that we would like to work on a parallel project for Reformed Celtic Reconstructionism (working title).

Maybe there is some common ground that can form part of the foundation of our fledgling creation.

(This question was inspired by Shadow, when I asked her, during a chat, how she had started to write her religion, FlameKeeping.)

For me, I'm drawn to ancient Celtic history, art, and archeology because of my relationship with Brighid.  At least I *think* that's why.  It might be the other way around (drawn to Brighid because of an interest in Celtic things, but I don't think so). 

I'm actually less interested in the myths and legends than I probably should be.  But I am very interested in the history and archeology and, especially, in the worldview and spirituality, and the thinking about humans and their relationship to the gods.

Geographically, I'm most interested in Ireland, but not to the exclusion of any other areas.

I was immediately drawn to this project because I'm looking for a practical, coherent spirituality that works in my world today.

Anyone else?

Jumping into this as a late-commer, I have to ask:  Why didn't I find you guys sooner?

I am not a Celtic Reconstructionist (though I thought I was for a while), but for over ten years, studying all things "Celtic" has been one of my great passions.  I've been a self-styled Eclectic Neo-pagan for about seven years and have been trying with varying amounts of success to import my love and knowledge of the ancient Celtic world into my spirituality.
I have forged a deep connection with some of the Irish deities and I identify strongly with the ancient peoples of the British Isles.
Some of my Wiccan friends think that I am a "Wiccan in denial", but I know this is untrue as I am a hard polytheist and disagree with some of the basic Wiccan beliefs and practices.  For me, Celtic Wicca is not "where it's at".
For two years now, I've been working on creating a structured belief system for myself that applies ancient Celtic thinking, spirituality, and world-view to a form that works in this modern world and can be integrated well with my own UPGs and prefered system of magic.
It is progressing well, but I have to say that it is nice to know that I am not the only one trying to blaze this trail.

"Dream no small dreams, for they have no power to move the hearts of men." - Goethe
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: April 23, 2008, 09:30:44 pm »

I'm wondering WHY each of us is interested in this.  What draws us to this project? 

I have some Irish in me, though I discovered Irish music before I really discovered my roots.  I love the music, dance, and the general spiritual feeling from Ireland, Wales, and Great Britain.  I would love to learn more about Irish and Welsh cultures (yeah, I'm kinda lazy, lol) and hopefully derive a spiritual practice from it, recon or no.

Wow, really late for me too.  Well, it's good to see more interested people. 

*Síocháin*
QuercusRobur
Journeyman
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 05:18:37 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Irish Traditionalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 26, 2008, 03:14:34 pm »

Conair an Cheo started as a path that could be CR-like but with more room for UPG, and less trying to mimic the way things were done and more trying to see how they'd be doing it today. Which, admittedly, is what the CRs say they're trying to do, but I think they tend to get too caught up in the reconstructing bit, without looking at recreating the purpose of the practices.

I'd agree with that.  I use astrology in my day to day life (no, not the rubbish in the papers) because there is no Irish equivalent I know of.
QuercusRobur
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: April 26, 2008, 03:22:46 pm »

I'd agree with that.  I use astrology in my day to day life (no, not the rubbish in the papers) because there is no Irish equivalent I know of.

I forgot to say that I've always loved the old stories, even when I was a kid and have the gift of storytelling - of being able to make an audience absorbed with it.  I've liked the idea of druidism, but the OBOD lot don't go deep enough for me and don't seem to read enough for me.
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #21: April 26, 2008, 08:14:30 pm »

I've liked the idea of druidism, but the OBOD lot don't go deep enough for me and don't seem to read enough for me.

Have you looked into Ar nDraiocht Fein?  www.adf.org

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
QuercusRobur
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: April 27, 2008, 09:28:19 am »

No - thanks for that, I'll have a look at it.
QuercusRobur
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: April 27, 2008, 01:18:02 pm »

Thanks, but it's too Neo Pagan for me.  I can never get on with the idea of an Earth Mother as the Celts never had such a concept.

On the other hand, I've got two of the Celtic books they recommend.
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 30, 2008, 09:35:12 pm »

Some of my Wiccan friends think that I am a "Wiccan in denial", but I know this is untrue as I am a hard polytheist and disagree with some of the basic Wiccan beliefs and practices.

I'll point out that it's entirely possible to be a hard polytheist and be Wiccan. I am.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Savage_Spirit
Senior Newbie
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: May 01, 2008, 06:38:57 am »

I'll point out that it's entirely possible to be a hard polytheist and be Wiccan. I am.

How?  One of the basics of Wicca is:  "All goddesses are The Goddess.  All gods are The God".  That's Wicca 101.  Take it away and you no longer have Wicca.

It would be like saying "I'm Christian.  I just don't believe Jesus of Nazareth is the son of God."

"Dream no small dreams, for they have no power to move the hearts of men." - Goethe
Thesaly
Journeyman
Last Login:May 13, 2008, 06:10:33 pm

Religion: Ecclectic Wiccan (for now)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: May 01, 2008, 06:53:56 am »

How?  One of the basics of Wicca is:  "All goddesses are The Goddess.  All gods are The God".  That's Wicca 101.  Take it away and you no longer have Wicca.

It would be like saying "I'm Christian.  I just don't believe Jesus of Nazareth is the son of God."

AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong) that's Neo-Wicca.  Wicca has a Goddess and a God, but I'm pretty sure they are (or certainly can be) hard polytheists when it comes to that.  One of their complaints about Neo-Wiccans calling themselves "Wiccans" is that BTW does not subscribe to the fill-in-the-blank-with-whatever-deity-you-like-because-all-god/desses-are-one philosophy. 

The common practice of taking a Wiccan religious structure (holidays, ritual framework, etc), using whatever gods you are comfortable with and calling it Wicca is like taking the religious structure of Catholicism, swapping out Christ for Zeus, and calling yourself Catholic.  Not really the same thing.  So if being a hard polytheist is the only thing preventing you from investigating Wicca you might want to check out BTW.
Savage_Spirit
Senior Newbie
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: May 01, 2008, 07:43:25 am »

The common practice of taking a Wiccan religious structure (holidays, ritual framework, etc), using whatever gods you are comfortable with and calling it Wicca is like taking the religious structure of Catholicism, swapping out Christ for Zeus, and calling yourself Catholic.  Not really the same thing.  So if being a hard polytheist is the only thing preventing you from investigating Wicca you might want to check out BTW.

One of us is misunderstood here.  Not sure which one of us though. Cheesy

This is what I "think" I know about Wicca in regards to deity:
There is one goddess - "The Goddess" - who is the divine representation of all of nature's "female" aspects.  There is one god - "The God" - who is the divine representation of all of nature's "male' aspects.  Above all, there is the "Prime Mover" which is deity unknowable and incomprehensible to humans, and as such cannot be "worked with".

By any definition I've read, that is not hard polytheism.  It is even stretching things to call it soft polytheism.  It is really duotheism or bitheism.

Also, I have "explored" Wicca, several times, and probably could have happily followed most of Wicca's teachings if not for the fact that I started upon my spiritual journey subscribed to some core beliefs that do not mesh well with Wicca - at least not the Wicca I am familiar with.

If any of what I've written seems incorrect, please correct it.  There are alot of books out there.  Maybe I've read all the wrong ones.  Huh

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: May 01, 2008, 08:24:16 am »

There is one goddess - "The Goddess" - who is the divine representation of all of nature's "female" aspects.  There is one god - "The God" - who is the divine representation of all of nature's "male' aspects.  Above all, there is the "Prime Mover" which is deity unknowable and incomprehensible to humans, and as such cannot be "worked with".

That's not really a traditional Wiccan belief. Traditional Wiccans worship a specific God and Goddess and do not claim that all Gods are their God and all Goddesses are their Goddess. Some do believe that there is a incomprehensible deity behind it all. Neo-Wiccan belief often includes the all Gods/Goddesses are one God/Goddess, however.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #29: May 01, 2008, 12:33:39 pm »

Seconding Randall - this is a common Neo-Wiccan or Wiccan influenced belief, but it is *not* universal.

One thing worth noting: since Wicca is united by shared practices, rather than shared beliefs, it's quite possible to get people next to each other in circle who have different ideas of the nature of deity. That said:

BTW trads use specific, unique names for deities, which are not interchangeable. (They use epithets or titles like Lady/Lord outside of circle because those names are oathbound). Likewise, while Valiente's Charge of the Goddess makes reference to a whole bunch of deity names, it is not necessarily a clear predictor of what goes on in the oathbound circle: the Charge has a long history of being a public text, after all, pretty much from its inception.

Even beyond that, there are a number of eclectic and Wiccan-influenced groups and trads out there who are hard polytheists. They're more or less obvious depending which Pagan communities you're around (the Cauldron tends to have more hard polytheists by a large margin, at least among its posters, but many published authors and other forums tend the other way) But the hard polytheists (among whom I'm definitely numbered) are very much out there.

(Also, in my experience, the hard polytheist tend to be the *closest* to BTW practice, formal standards/structure, but that may just be the circles I move in. That said, I spend quite a bit of time reading a wide range of conversations/Pagan material, so I do have a strong sample set.)

There've been several discussions on the Amber and Jet mailing list (which is a BTW focused list open to seekers and other interested folks) where people have pretty clearly said "I work with the Gods of the Wic(c)a in trad circle, but I also have a relationship with [whatever other deity] outside of that" in ways that pretty clearly indicate a hard polytheism approach, too.

Where to read more: I'm trying to remember if _Keepers of the Flame_ talks about this directly, but can check tonight.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)