The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 15, 2020, 02:03:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 15, 2020, 02:03:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ritual--what do we do?  (Read 4196 times)
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 28, 2007, 12:47:49 am »

This is kind of a spin off from the purity thread. 

So once we get pure, what do we *do* to honor the Netjeru? 

I know there are different daily rituals from HON's Senut to Per Ankh's Daily Rite to Akhet Hethert's Daily Rite.

I even wrote one for myself because I wanted to seperate myself from the temples which I no longer belonged.  I wanted something that was mine. 

I wrote the Sehedjet rite a few years back.  I have two versions of it.  One with four libations and one without.

Here is the one without:  http://www.asetnet.net/dailyrite.html

The libations are thus:

"I pour a libation for the Akhu, (name Akhu)
May You shine in the veil of Nut,
May You dwell in the Field of Reeds,
May You be Imperishable Ones,
May You shine like Ra, forever.

I pour a libation for Ma’at,
May my Heart be weighed by Your Wings.
May I be Justified.
May I be Pure.
May I be True of Voice.

I pour a libation for Ra Heru Akhety,
May the Serpent be crushed beneath Your sandals
May Aset and Nebet Het lift You up
May Ra burst forth on the Horizon
May dawn be born.

I pour a libation for the Eye of Heru,
Glimmering Moon, waxing and waning, may You be whole.
Shining Sun, may You rejuvinate the Lands in all Your Glory.
Aset's Water, may You sprout the precious vineyard.
So that my heart may be filled with the joy of Your love."

Four Libations by me.

My question here is what do we know from ancient rituals, what do we keep and what do we discard?  I know hours long ritual in our modern world aren't doable, so what in the daily rite would be feasable to keep? 

The offerings of fire, water and incense seem to be a consensus of what was offered.  Do we keep these?  Do we not?  Do we full henu also called Embracing the Earth (bow with our head touching the floor), henu or also called dua (arms paralell to your chest and palms outward toward shrine) today or do we discard these ancient gestures of worship? 

Do we shower and just light a candle or offer incense then the rite's done? 

I'd like to also discuss the theological reasons behind the ritual too such as Darkhawk has done in the other thread on purity. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 28, 2007, 02:52:35 am »

<snip a very nice ritual>

My question here is what do we know from ancient rituals, what do we keep and what do we discard?  I know hours long ritual in our modern world aren't doable, so what in the daily rite would be feasable to keep? 

The offerings of fire, water and incense seem to be a consensus of what was offered.  Do we keep these?  Do we not?  Do we full henu also called Embracing the Earth (bow with our head touching the floor), henu or also called dua (arms paralell to your chest and palms outward toward shrine) today or do we discard these ancient gestures of worship? 

I'd like to also discuss the theological reasons behind the ritual too such as Darkhawk has done in the other thread on purity. 

I think this may be a question of scaling, like the Hellenic folks are talking about in the other section.
For myself, the only things I do daily are a prayer and the full henu. Once a week I also offer fire, water and usually something else (bread, gemstones, feathers).

My invocations tend to one-liners:
"I offer cool water, may You be refreshed"
or something like that. (should note I'm not very recon at the moment.)

I suspect in terms of modern adaptation, the most practical rule for daily rite would be "must contain at least one of the following:" and then whatever the final list of elements is. So far we have:

-water offering
-fire offering
-incense offering
-food or other offering (should this be 2 points?)
-henu or full henu

This would be easily adaptable to various levels of formality / lengths of time by adding or removing elements. Elements for special purposes (seasonal, festival, what have you) would be easy to add in as well. I get this image of Legos while thinking about this ... it may be a good way to structure things. Each "block" could be classified as to purpose, individual vs group, required or not, and so on.

It would also adapt well to various numbers of gods being honored, as would likely be the case. F'ex, someone honoring one Netjer could do the whole shebang every day. Or someone honoring five netjer could do a water libation for each one. Or someone could offer fire and incense to their primary deity and only fire to other deities they honor. etc.

Maybe we should have a long and short version of the major rituals. Like, if the long version is five-line stanzas (like your example), the short version could be the first two lines of each. or the first and last line -- either way, a consistent rule.

I think we should keep the henu, at least as an option. It seems to me that it's good to have some *gesture* of worship so that we don't end up just sitting around reciting poetry.  Smiley
Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 28, 2007, 11:20:50 am »

*Snip*

Currently, my invocations are very short, but I love the idea of doing longer ones. My ritual currently contains:

Daily:
Water offering
Incense offering.
Food offering
Henu.

Fire is offered less than daily, depending on whether I've been called into work early.

I like henu and the full henu. I think that henu should be kept, if only to show proper deference! (maybe full henu once a week or when approaching for more than just ritual?)  Tongue I know that for me, since I speak to the deities daily, I tend to  get lax in my approach, forgetting that these are not just good friends, these are GODS and must be treated as such. Henu keeps me humble in my approach, that the Names are bigger than me and must be approached thusly. 

My problem with the rituals is that I offer to two Names, both of whom have differing tastes in food offerings and incense scents. How does one approach a difference in preferences? Sataset, in the altar thread, I noticed that you mentioned having an altar to Set. He loooooves pork. For Aset, it's taboo. Although my differences are not so great (Set likes spicy, Anpu likes sweet), how do you approach differences such as these?  Huh  Smiley

I've always wanted to ask these sorts of questions - I am thrilled we have this SIG now!
SatAset
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 28, 2007, 07:43:47 pm »

My problem with the rituals is that I offer to two Names, both of whom have differing tastes in food offerings and incense scents. How does one approach a difference in preferences? Sataset, in the altar thread, I noticed that you mentioned having an altar to Set. He loooooves pork. For Aset, it's taboo. Although my differences are not so great (Set likes spicy, Anpu likes sweet), how do you approach differences such as these?  Huh  Smiley

I've always wanted to ask these sorts of questions - I am thrilled we have this SIG now!

Make sure the pork isn't near Her shrine.  All I've offered Set is water though and maybe some alcoholic beverage.  But I don't talk to Him much, he just comes around when he's needed (I think Mom sends him honestly). 

I tried to make my ritual work with offering to two or more Netjeru because I was having that problem too.  Thing is, in ancient Kemet, in temples at least you only offered to one Netjer at a time (one priest per open statue with chanters etc).  We don't have much or any about a ritual in the household, so we need to look at the AE's love of continuity and that fact that they did have altars in their households to both home, family and state deities. 

There are some incenses that are accepted to all Netjeru (so I've heard) frankincense, kyphi, and maybe myrrh (I'm not sure about that one.  My brain is fuzzy).  Could you get something they both liked? 

I only use one of my incense burners (the one shaped like Aset) and I use myrrh in that b/c she likes it.  I don't offer anyone else incense, really. 

I think the invocation/speaking part of the thingie-ma-bob is important because A) It's heka and B) it also reflects Nit and Ptah's creation stories of the world as being spoken into being and since the shrine symbolically is a re enactment of the creation of the world and the ritual is maintaining its order.  I would try to make (and I tried in my rite) the ritual invocation have room for more than one deity and be general enough to do so and be used for any of the Netjer. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
sefiru
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 28, 2007, 11:19:44 pm »

I like henu and the full henu. I think that henu should be kept, if only to show proper deference! (maybe full henu once a week or when approaching for more than just ritual?)  Tongue I know that for me, since I speak to the deities daily, I tend to  get lax in my approach, forgetting that these are not just good friends, these are GODS and must be treated as such. Henu keeps me humble in my approach, that the Names are bigger than me and must be approached thusly. 

that too. ::nods:: I think there's a tendency these days towards "the Gods are our *friends*!" But they're certainly not our equals.
sefiru
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 28, 2007, 11:27:10 pm »

I think the invocation/speaking part of the thingie-ma-bob is important because A) It's heka and B) it also reflects Nit and Ptah's creation stories of the world as being spoken into being and since the shrine symbolically is a re enactment of the creation of the world and the ritual is maintaining its order.  I would try to make (and I tried in my rite) the ritual invocation have room for more than one deity and be general enough to do so and be used for any of the Netjer. 

So do you think there should be a sort of standard prayer-book with a libation for each deity? Or at least the major ones? People who are not so poetically inclined might find that useful ...

About disparate offerings: in everyone's experience, how close is too close?
SatAset
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 29, 2007, 12:45:52 am »

So do you think there should be a sort of standard prayer-book with a libation for each deity? Or at least the major ones? People who are not so poetically inclined might find that useful ...

About disparate offerings: in everyone's experience, how close is too close?

There is a prayerbook by Tamara Siuda. 

::thinks::  The offering formula is AE was pretty standard with few variations.  You just changed the names of the deities.  One of them is in my rite. 

::scrummages through stuff::

Wine Liturgy

by: Hekersebeqenaset (SatAset)

Mu-Chou Poo states in his book Wine and Wine Offerings in the Religion of Ancient Egypt, that there are many liturgical formulas for wine offerings and he goes over five different types in the book. One type I will give here:

A) The offering

B) The relation between offering and deity as offering (symbolically) of the King

C) Epithets of Deity

D) Significance of the Offering

E) Stating its purity

I have placed together an offering liturgy from his book. All quotes are from The Temple of Philae, but are in different offering liturgies (and follows the formula above).

A) Take to Yourself the Eye of Heru (Wine)

B) The wine is for Your Ka

C) Aset, the Great, Mother of the God

D) May Your Mouth be Opened with it

E) It is Pure

Source:

Wine and Wine Offerings in the Religion of Ancient Egypt by Mu-Chou Poo pages 89-91; 114.

Honestly, what I do is I just offer it and I'll say something informal like "This is for you, Mother Aset (Insert deity here)". 

sefiru
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 29, 2007, 01:32:22 am »

::thinks::  The offering formula is AE was pretty standard with few variations.  You just changed the names of the deities.  One of them is in my rite. 

I guess the question then becomes, do we use a pre-existing prayerbook for "our" reformed Kemeticism? Or do we compile our own set of prayers/formulas from the sources?

Honestly, what I do is I just offer it and I'll say something informal like "This is for you, Mother Aset (Insert deity here)". 

Yeah, me too. Which brings us back to "how formal does this all have to be?"
Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #8: March 29, 2007, 04:12:34 am »

My parents ordered that for my birthday in September. I *still* don't have it and last time I looked, it was out of stock.

--Chabas
SatAset
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 29, 2007, 05:10:25 pm »

My parents ordered that for my birthday in September. I *still* don't have it and last time I looked, it was out of stock.

--Chabas

I went to the website.  It says they can be ordered in March of 2007, if you are interested. 

Anteros
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 06:38:40 am
Serbia and Montenegro Serbia and Montenegro

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Believe yourself, and no one will deceive you...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 14, 2009, 05:32:59 am »

This is kind of a spin off from the purity thread. 

I know there are different daily rituals from HON's Senut to Per Ankh's Daily Rite to Akhet Hethert's Daily Rite.

I even wrote one for myself because I wanted to seperate myself from the temples which I no longer belonged.  I wanted something that was mine. 

I wrote the Sehedjet rite a few years back.  I have two versions of it.  One with four libations and one without.

Here is the one without:  http://www.asetnet.net/dailyrite.html

The libations are thus:

"I pour a libation for the Akhu, (name Akhu)
May You shine in the veil of Nut,
May You dwell in the Field of Reeds,
May You be Imperishable Ones,
May You shine like Ra, forever.

I pour a libation for Ma’at,
May my Heart be weighed by Your Wings.
May I be Justified.
May I be Pure.
May I be True of Voice.

I pour a libation for Ra Heru Akhety,
May the Serpent be crushed beneath Your sandals
May Aset and Nebet Het lift You up
May Ra burst forth on the Horizon
May dawn be born.

I pour a libation for the Eye of Heru,
Glimmering Moon, waxing and waning, may You be whole.
Shining Sun, may You rejuvinate the Lands in all Your Glory.
Aset's Water, may You sprout the precious vineyard.
So that my heart may be filled with the joy of Your love."

Four Libations by me.

Hm... I am simple in worshiping...
Personally, Henu for me is when I say in every prayer, that all my deeds, all that I do, say, think during the day is an offering to Netjeru. I use Natron once weekly. Then I pour rose incense on little clay statues which I made. Next, I burn the candle, bring some drink, usually milk, and something to be eaten. Usually candies. Smiley Then I pray, for the world, and for myself. And it's done for me. I consume offerings, and leave the candle to burn down. Aset ordered me to celebrate Her and others in that way... It works superb for me.

The Greatest One, Slayer of evil serpent - the opponent of Majestic Ra, bless all of us...

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)