The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 26, 2022, 07:37:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2022, 07:37:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Any Suggestions for chapped lips and acne?  (Read 20277 times)
Diamond NightShade
Master Member
Last Login:May 15, 2008, 06:55:38 pm
United States United States

Religion: Nature-focused paganism, with many Christian influences perhaps.

Ah-ber: Sweet yet crazy... Yep that's me!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 13, 2008, 03:25:59 pm »

I have always had a problem with chapped lips and acne.
I don't really care too much about my looks, it doesn't have much to do with that. My lips get so friggin chapped that they practically crack and bleed sometimes (in fact they actually have.)
It doesn't seem to matter how much chap stick I use, or how often... (also, I should probably stop biting the skin on my lips, that would help... But I havent done that much anymore... its more of a nervous habit...)
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions, herbal or otherwise. Including particular chapstick brands... I have tried many such as ChapStick, ChapAid or something, and many others. (basically whatever is cheapest at the moment, or what i can find...)

As for the acne, I was wondering if maybe there might be some form of herbal or other natural way of getting rid of that? I have tried stuff like Benzac or something (contains Benzoyl Peroxide...) Haven't tried this one that starts with a P ( i think) that seems very popular and people say works, I cant remember what its called, but you guys might. I always remember then forget, probably will remember sometime after I post this but lol....

-DiamondNightshade-
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 03:40:45 pm by LyricFox » Logged

"I would like an order of crazy, with a touch of confusion on the side, please! Thanks you!"
-Myself

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: February 13, 2008, 03:33:19 pm »

Not a recommendation on a product here, but are you getting enough water? Fluid intake is going to help a lot. It won't solve the problem, but it will help.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Diamond NightShade
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 13, 2008, 03:36:17 pm »

Not a recommendation on a product here, but are you getting enough water? Fluid intake is going to help a lot. It won't solve the problem, but it will help.
No definately not getting enough water, although I am working on it. I have been getting more water than I used to though, so Smiley
Speaking of which... lol.
And anyways, I am not really looking for a product recommendation so much as any recommendation, mainly natural. So thanks! Lotsa fluid definately hits the "natural" part of it! Cheesy

"I would like an order of crazy, with a touch of confusion on the side, please! Thanks you!"
-Myself
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: February 13, 2008, 03:39:33 pm »

No definately not getting enough water, although I am working on it. I have been getting more water than I used to though, so Smiley
Speaking of which... lol.
And anyways, I am not really looking for a product recommendation so much as any recommendation, mainly natural. So thanks! Lotsa fluid definately hits the "natural" part of it! Cheesy

Yeah. The more water you get, the more it will help. I know when I'm not getting enough, my lips and skin show the effects faster than anything else. Course, I drink an awful lot of water, so I can generally tell pretty quickly when I've been slacking off.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: February 13, 2008, 03:41:49 pm »

-DiamondNightshade-

Just so you know...I added a bit to the title of this thread so it's a little clearer what it's about.

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 13, 2008, 03:42:50 pm »

It depends on how bad your acne is. Natural products may not be enough to clear up moderate to severe acne. I actually had to break out the big, dangerous meds (Accutane), and that cleared me up fast. It also made my skin and lips extremely dry, and of course winter doesn't help.

Carmex is the chapstick (gel, really) to go for for the extreme dryness. It's the little yellow tube that most pharmacies have for pretty cheap. Doesn't taste too good and can be goopy, but it really, really helps. Way more than regular chapstick. This is the kind of stuff fishermen and other extreme guys use in harsh winter weather.

As for natural acne products, I used to use Kiss My Face acne products (expensive brand usually found at Whole Foods) to help moderate breakouts. My acne was eventually too stubborn for this alone, but now that I'm off the Accutane and clear, I use Desert Essence Daily Facial Wash and Moisturizer to keep my skin healthy and prevent breakouts. You can find this for (relatively) cheap at Whole Foods as well. That line and Kiss My Face both are recognized for being good, solid natural treatments, but Desert Essence is cheaper.

I hope I don't sound like a commercial. And I hope you find the right stuff for you!

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:June 20, 2022, 04:12:33 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 13, 2008, 03:54:14 pm »

I have tried many such as ChapStick, ChapAid or something, and many others. (basically whatever is cheapest at the moment, or what i can find...)

A lot of the cheaper brands are *heavily* wax based: they reliably make chapped lips worst for me. I've had better luck with Burt's Bees, but the one I discovered this winter was making my own: a friend and I did some salve making in December, and our mix of honey, beeswax, and lanolin made a great lip salve. (It also tastes fantastic). If you're interested, I can dig out instructions. (You don't need a lot of beeswax, either: craft stores sometimes carry it, or health food stores, and a little bit of salve will last you a long time.)

For acne, it depends what's causing it: mine is largely hormone driven, as far as we can tell, and work with a herbalist has helped a lot. That said; a lot of what was making it *worse* had to do with sensitive skin (i.e. I'd break out, then the skin would get sensitised.

Switching to non-commercial soaps (I get mine from one of several cottage industry sellers) helped a lot. You might look either for soaps for sensitive skin, or for ones containing lavender and/or tea tree oil, both of which are bacteria killers, and often help acne (assuming you don't have any allergies.)

I'm also regularly using an oil cleansing method (which uses a mixture of oils to clean. Sounds weird, but it's working really well for me: jojoba and castor oil are a common base, but there are different additives you can look at.) I don't use it every day, but do use it a couple of times a week.

Drinking plenty of water, running a humidifier or otherwise getting more water into the air in the winter if it's dry where you are, and eating sensibly will all help too. None of them are fast fixes, but they're a lot more reliable.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 13, 2008, 03:58:14 pm »

Carmex is the chapstick (gel, really) to go for for the extreme dryness. It's the little yellow tube that most pharmacies have for pretty cheap. Doesn't taste too good and can be goopy, but it really, really helps. Way more than regular chapstick. This is the kind of stuff fishermen and other extreme guys use in harsh winter weather.

You beat me to it. Carmex all the way, baby!! It's definitely an acquired taste though.

I wear it at night...and I like Blistex medicated during the day.

If you get Carmex, get the kind in the little tub...there's more in there for the price. A little goes a LONG way.

Diamond NightShade
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 13, 2008, 04:09:48 pm »

Carmex is the chapstick (gel, really) to go for for the extreme dryness.
*snip*
I hope I don't sound like a commercial. And I hope you find the right stuff for you!
Wow. Duh how on earth can I have forgotten about Carmax??? Wow. I used that stuff all the time in the little "tub" containers (ya know, with the white container and yellow lid?) because my mom kept buying it, and I had no problems -hardly- then... Thank you so much, for reminding me of that stuff. And yeah, of course, water will help alot too.... hehe.
And even if you do sound like a comercial, at least I know its not because you are trying to just get me to buy it to benefit you. Wink lol. I dont generally trust actual commercials, they get away with alot of false info sometimes.. "truth stretching" puh.

-Myself
Diamond NightShade
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 13, 2008, 04:14:37 pm »

A lot of the cheaper brands are *heavily* wax based: they reliably make chapped lips worst for me.
Oh... I never knew that. And as said before, Carmex all the way. I actually like the taste much better than regular chapstick, once I got used to it. mm. Hehe. Cheesy

but the one I discovered this winter was making my own: a friend and I did some salve making in December *snip* If you're interested, I can dig out instructions. (You don't need a lot of beeswax, either: craft stores sometimes carry it, or health food stores, and a little bit of salve will last you a long time.)[/qupte]
That would be good, if you could. Whenever you have time of course. Cheesy Been dealing with it for a year already, I think even waiting one more week wouldn't hurt... lol.

I'm also regularly using an oil cleansing method (which uses a mixture of oils to clean. Sounds weird, but it's working really well for me: jojoba and castor oil are a common base, but there are different additives you can look at.) I don't use it every day, but do use it a couple of times a week.
hmm. Might try that if the other things i try dont work... (dont want to overdo it. hehe)

-Myself
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 13, 2008, 04:16:32 pm »

For spot treating acne, I use lavender oil.  It helps to dry pimples up; I just put a bit on a qtip.  I read somewhere that mint toothpaste helps dry up pimples, so I tried it, and it worked!  Just use sparingly, otherwise you'll be running around screaming, "AHHH!! that tingles!!!"

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Diamond NightShade
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 13, 2008, 04:17:31 pm »

If you get Carmex, get the kind in the little tub...there's more in there for the price. A little goes a LONG way.
Oh yeah it sure does... Get a little tiny but on your finger, barely even on there at all, and that should be good. And it lasts a while too! It has a bit of a minty taste and smell to it, if I recall correctly... Wasn;t all that bad once you got used to it... Cheesy

-Myself
Diamond NightShade
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 13, 2008, 04:18:57 pm »

For spot treating acne, I use lavender oil.  It helps to dry pimples up; I just put a bit on a qtip.  I read somewhere that mint toothpaste helps dry up pimples, so I tried it, and it worked!  Just use sparingly, otherwise you'll be running around screaming, "AHHH!! that tingles!!!"
hah I LIVE for the tingle. Wink lol. Thanks for the tip, might try that hehe. Just because it couldn't hurt (well, I mean, sure it might tingle but, in the long run.... lol)

-Myself
Cosima
Apprentice
Last Login:October 04, 2010, 02:11:23 pm

Religion: Lazy Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 13, 2008, 06:36:44 pm »

O the joys of acne. I've only just gotten mine mostly under control, but I still have some pretty heinous breakouts every once in a while.

Lavender essential oil works nicely, as does tea tree oil. If you have oily skin, I would strongly recommend against using any product that might strip your skin's natural moisture, as this could cause your sebaceous glands to work overtime to put out more oil to replace what was removed, creating a vicious cycle of sorts. Just use a gentle hand-milled soap and make sure your washcloth is freshly laundered (if it was used before and simply hung up to dry there could be bacteria lurking inside from any dead skin that got sloughed off whilst you were using it; all the more reason to just use your hands). Witch hazel is a good natural astringent found in any drug store; it cleans your skin without drying it out, and it's an anti-inflammatory that takes away some of the pain and redness that go hand-in-hand with pimples.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #14: February 13, 2008, 06:38:48 pm »

For the lips you can use honey. When at home and the honeyjar is near to put it on the lips repeatedly.
It's very healing. Oh and I'd recommend you my olive oil sos-lip balm I bought at the pharmacy, but I'm afraid it wouldn't be available where you live Sad

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)