The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 26, 2022, 06:34:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2022, 06:34:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Any Suggestions for chapped lips and acne?  (Read 20275 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #15: February 13, 2008, 06:40:11 pm »

A lot of the cheaper brands are *heavily* wax based: they reliably make chapped lips worst for me. I've had better luck with Burt's Bees, but the one I discovered this winter was making my own: a friend and I did some salve making in December, and our mix of honey, beeswax, and lanolin made a great lip salve. (It also tastes fantastic). If you're interested, I can dig out instructions. (You don't need a lot of beeswax, either: craft stores sometimes carry it, or health food stores, and a little bit of salve will last you a long time.)

Oooo.  Whether any one else is interested or not, I'd love to see the recipe for that.  I've made salves before, but just stuck to the basics (oil and beeswax) and not really gotten into fancy things like honey. It sounds really good, though.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SophieZ
Apprentice
Last Login:June 08, 2008, 12:28:23 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: February 13, 2008, 09:10:37 pm »

I had the very same problem for years with chapped lips.  I learned from someone who makes all natural products that all petroleum based lip remedies such as Chapstick, Carmex, Blistex, etc can never heal the lips and only addict them to said remedy.  She said the only lip products that will heal and even possibly cure your condition is all natural or home made if you can.  Beware there are all natural products under the Chapstick/Carmex/Blistex names that still contain petroleum products.  I used that person's homemade remedy and actually cured my condition.  I now use a lip replenishment product from an all natural company called Aveda.  My lips only dry out now instead of chap and it is usually only in the winter.  I do not use it all day every day like I did with the above mentioned products.  I can sometimes go days without it.  They are currently reformulating the product, but will reintroduce it by the end of this month.  If you know of anyone that can make a lip remedy for you with all natural ingredients, you should try that a long with more water.   Smiley 

P.S.  I am new to replying to posts and am not sure I did this correctly.  I hope this goes through according to the posting guidelines.  If not, please tell me what I did wrong so that I can respond correctly in the future.  Smiley 

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #17: February 13, 2008, 09:13:35 pm »

Oooo.  Whether any one else is interested or not, I'd love to see the recipe for that.  I've made salves before, but just stuck to the basics (oil and beeswax) and not really gotten into fancy things like honey. It sounds really good, though.

I also would love the recipe. Smiley I have some beeswax here, somewhere. And I think I have a container or two too.

Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: February 13, 2008, 10:18:37 pm »

You beat me to it. Carmex all the way, baby!! It's definitely an acquired taste though.

Ugh, that stuff is nasty..."acquired" is the polite way to say it Smiley

Diamond, try Burt's Bees...not as bad-tasting but still really effective...also vaseline will help.  For the acne, try Proactive or Neutrogena.

*Síocháin*
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:June 20, 2022, 04:12:33 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #19: February 13, 2008, 11:53:15 pm »

Don't worry - I'll dig up the recipe. (It's buried somewhere, and I need to get to bed, because I'm going to need to shovel the driveway before work tomorrow, joys of winter in Minnesota.) But tomorrow evening...

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #20: February 14, 2008, 12:35:37 am »

You beat me to it. Carmex all the way, baby!! It's definitely an acquired taste though.

I wear it at night...and I like Blistex medicated during the day.

If you get Carmex, get the kind in the little tub...there's more in there for the price. A little goes a LONG way.

I honestly thought I was crazy in thinking Carmex was really good. I'm not alone! Cheesy

I really love the stuff: For some reason I have been using lip balm every day several times a day for the past few years. I just hate having dry lips. I can't stand it. But since I've been stealing my boyfriend's I don't use Carmex nearly as often.

And yeah, it IS an aquired taste.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Slynth
Apprentice
Last Login:August 05, 2010, 02:02:44 am

Religion: Pagan-something

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: February 14, 2008, 01:36:05 am »

Witch hazel is a good natural astringent found in any drug store; it cleans your skin without drying it out, and it's an anti-inflammatory that takes away some of the pain and redness that go hand-in-hand with pimples.

I've always sworn by Witch Hazel.  I don't get bad zit-acne, but I've always had big swaths of blackheads, and if I'm not careful, those start turning into swelly mountains of ew.  The witch hazel seems to open up your pores.  You just apply it with a cotton ball, and it's much cheaper than various name-brand facial cleansing waters that do the same thing.
Diamond NightShade
Master Member
Last Login:May 15, 2008, 06:55:38 pm

Religion: Nature-focused paganism, with many Christian influences perhaps.

Ah-ber: Sweet yet crazy... Yep that's me!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: February 14, 2008, 06:32:20 am »

I honestly thought I was crazy in thinking Carmex was really good. I'm not alone! Cheesy

I really love the stuff: For some reason I have been using lip balm every day several times a day for the past few years. I just hate having dry lips. I can't stand it. But since I've been stealing my boyfriend's I don't use Carmex nearly as often.

And yeah, it IS an aquired taste.
Haha me too, Rin... Well, I mean I know I am slightly on the crazy side still just not About Carmex I guess hehe.
lmao, me and you seem to have the same habit... If I can't find my lip balm I steal my boyfriends and he always is wondering where he keeps putting it... Actually, he loses it himself, and he knows I 'borrowed without the intent of returning'... Unintentionally without the intent of returning of course.... I forget. lol.

Am I the ONLY one that actually LIKES the taste of Carmex??? I mean, seriously?  lol.

"I would like an order of crazy, with a touch of confusion on the side, please! Thanks you!"
-Myself
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: February 14, 2008, 06:34:26 am »

P.S.  I am new to replying to posts and am not sure I did this correctly.  I hope this goes through according to the posting guidelines.  If not, please tell me what I did wrong so that I can respond correctly in the future.  Smiley 

Since you're replying to a specific person, you should use the reply/quote function.  It should leave a tag like the one I have above.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Diamond NightShade
Master Member
Last Login:May 15, 2008, 06:55:38 pm

Religion: Nature-focused paganism, with many Christian influences perhaps.

Ah-ber: Sweet yet crazy... Yep that's me!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: February 14, 2008, 06:37:27 am »

I've always sworn by Witch Hazel.  I don't get bad zit-acne, but I've always had big swaths of blackheads, and if I'm not careful, those start turning into swelly mountains of ew.  The witch hazel seems to open up your pores.  You just apply it with a cotton ball, and it's much cheaper than various name-brand facial cleansing waters that do the same thing.
AGHHHH. Now I wish we still had that stuff... I can't seem to find it much anymore, at least not in the pure Witch Hazel... Maybe its cuz I'm not looking for it when its where I am at, and its not whre I am when I am looking.... lol. I never knew it was good for that, I have that same exact problem with the blackheads... They look like a bunches of dark freckles, but you look and its just "ewww" and if I dont get em under control, BAM they aren't blackheads anymore........... But not all of it starts as blackheads for me (at least not that I can tell). Some of the actual pimples aren't anywhere near the 'blackhead patches' as I so LOVINGLY call them........ heh. Actually, back to the freckle thing... I had one or two people go up to me and be like, "I didn't know you had freckles, Amber...." heh. Yeahhhh.

"I would like an order of crazy, with a touch of confusion on the side, please! Thanks you!"
-Myself
SophieZ
Apprentice
Last Login:June 08, 2008, 12:28:23 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: February 14, 2008, 05:03:36 pm »

Since you're replying to a specific person, you should use the reply/quote function.  It should leave a tag like the one I have above.

Thanks!  I will do that next time.  After I posted my comment, I realized that I did it from the wrong place where there was no reply/quote function.  I clicked on write comment from the main forum page where this thread was highlighted for the day.  Now I know to click on the thread first and then the reply/quote function.  Hopefully I have the hang of it now!  Thanks for your patience as I adjust to the format and all!

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #26: February 14, 2008, 05:22:26 pm »

Am I the ONLY one that actually LIKES the taste of Carmex??? I mean, seriously?  lol.

No. I love the taste. But, we ALL know how weird I am. Just ask any of the regulars. They'll tell you. Wink

I have been using lip balm CONSTANTLY (like...20 times a day at least LOL) since I was about 10. I think I'm addicted...but it hasn't hurt me and there are far worse things to be addicted to...Wink

As a result, I cannot stand to have dry lips. If my lips get even the SLIGHTEST bit dry, they are very sensitive and uncomfortable. But I think I seriously have the softest lips in the world...Grin

ETA:
To whoever said it that Burt's Bees stuff IS awesome. A little pricey for me right now though. Cry

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #27: February 14, 2008, 06:38:59 pm »

I have always had a problem with chapped lips and acne.
I don't really care too much about my looks, it doesn't have much to do with that. My lips get so friggin chapped that they practically crack and bleed sometimes (in fact they actually have.)
It doesn't seem to matter how much chap stick I use, or how often... (also, I should probably stop biting the skin on my lips, that would help... But I havent done that much anymore... its more of a nervous habit...)
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions, herbal or otherwise. Including particular chapstick brands... I have tried many such as ChapStick, ChapAid or something, and many others. (basically whatever is cheapest at the moment, or what i can find...)

-DiamondNightshade-

Well there's why you have chapped lips...

Avoid products that contain Phenol it is soothing upfront, but in the longterm very drying; which also contributes to drying out your lips.  Camphor/ menthol as well.

Regarding carmex, and offender on all of the above...  With COLD SORES; drying is a necessary step in healing.  So it's great for cold sores.  For chapped lips, it's not so great.  When the aforementioned ingredients evaporate, they take the natural moisture of your lips with them.  Creating that vicious cycle.  Yup, chapstick is also a bad guy.

Bonnie Bell/ Lipsmackers are actually pretty decent in putting moisture back into your lips. 

I use a lip oil made by AquaFina (weirdly enough) that I LOVE.  It tastes a bit strange, but it is almond oil, jojoba oil, and vitamin E.  You can use it without having to use it eternally. 

You want something that has a lotion effect, so look for all the same things you would in a lotion.  (Lanolin, shea butter, cocoa butter, jojoba oil, and other natural oils.)  Going cheap with sensitive skin is not a good idea.  Actually, the AquaFina Lip Oil is only 4$ and lasts... well, I've been on the same one for a year, although it's probably not sanitarily correct; but hey.  I'm cheap.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: February 14, 2008, 07:15:40 pm »

AGHHHH. Now I wish we still had that stuff... I can't seem to find it much anymore, at least not in the pure Witch Hazel... Maybe its cuz I'm not looking for it when its where I am at, and its not whre I am when I am looking.... lol. I never knew it was good for that, I have that same exact problem with the blackheads... They look like a bunches of dark freckles, but you look and its just "ewww" and if I dont get em under control, BAM they aren't blackheads anymore........... But not all of it starts as blackheads for me (at least not that I can tell). Some of the actual pimples aren't anywhere near the 'blackhead patches' as I so LOVINGLY call them........ heh. Actually, back to the freckle thing... I had one or two people go up to me and be like, "I didn't know you had freckles, Amber...." heh. Yeahhhh.

witch hazel is usually on the bottom shelf at the drug store.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:June 20, 2022, 04:12:33 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #29: February 14, 2008, 07:26:21 pm »

Ok. Recipe. This makes lots and lots, but you can use it as skin lotion as well as lip balm. You want a bit extra of the following on hand, in case you want to balance out the mixture.

4 ounces of hot water/tisane [see step 1]
1/2 ounce beeswax (easier to melt if it's grated/in small chunks)
2 oz lanolin
3/4 cup oil [see step 2]
1 tbs honey

Step 1: Make tisane
You can start with hot water, but why not start with a tisane that suits your goal. We did 1/8 of a vanilla bean, 1 tbs rose petals, and 1 tbs jasmine petals, but culinary herbs like lavender or mints might work really nicely, too. Pour 4 ounces of boiling water over the tisane herbs, let steep for a bit (10 minutes or so)

Step 2: While it's steeping, start a small double boiler going with the beeswax and lanolin: we used a glass jar in a shallow pot of boiling water, which worked fine. Use a wide-mouthed jar or heavy glass: it's easier to stir. You want all the wax to be melted.

Step 3: Strain the tisane (so you just have liquid, no petals.)

Step 4: Add 3/4 cups of the oil you've chosen. Jojoba or sweet almond are good bets - we used 1/2 cup jojoba and 1/4 cup grapeseed.

Step 5: Once it's blended, start stirring in the infusion spoonful by spoonful. Stir well.

Step 6: When that's blended, stir in 1 tbs honey (or a bit more, if you like.) Once it's fully blended, you can pour it out into whatever containers you have.

We used a lot of recycled glass jars - remember that people will want to get the stuff *out*, so wide jars are better. I also got a bunch of small disk shaped balm containers (I ordered mine from Mountain Rose Herbs, but I can also often find them locally at one of the natural foods coops in the health-care section, near the bulk herbs.) These are great for portability.

If you use a higher proportion of beeswax and a lower proportion of oil, it'll give you something more wax based. If you use more oil, it'll give you a more lotiony/creamy texture. (I think it'd be hard to get this one to set fully as a waxy salve, though, due to the lanolin and the percentage of liquid.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)