The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 07, 2021, 09:48:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 07, 2021, 09:48:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Meditation  (Read 6741 times)
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: February 17, 2008, 08:56:29 pm »

And um, just a very wild guess here, but did you kind of connect to the element water, invoked its energies or something? Because I guess that one can pretty much break any barrier down.
That was actually my first thought, especially if you've never meditated in the shower before. I see what you mean about the shower vs. bath thing. Being hit by the water in the shower... I can imagine sort of find it easy to... get swept off with it almost? If that makes sense. I agree with the grounding thing as well, but you say you've had experience with meditation. So even though you haven't done it in a while, I'd say it was the shower thing, fwiw.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #16: February 18, 2008, 02:51:57 am »

It's a dialect form of "creatures" that has become a common-usage idiom.  It can be used to refer to animals (critters on the farm, critters in the woods); humans (Cauldronites are odd critters); insects, particularly when pests or parasites, and particularly when not more precisely identifiable (if there are critters in the bedding, they might be bedbugs or they might be something else); as it was in this instance, non-corporeal and/or Otherworld entities; and a bunch of other things.  It tends, in most but not all cases, to imply more than one species, and/or not identifying the species.

Which isn't all that good an explanation, but you know how it is with idioms.

As you can see, I've taken this to be a language-gap problem rather than a question of "what sort of critters are on the astral?"  If I'm mistaken, ignore me.

Sunflower
Thanks, not that I have much of a clue about the astral plane, but now I understand the words you're using at least.  Grin

(I guess there will be very different opinions on what sort of critters are there and how to 'catalogize' them...)

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: February 18, 2008, 08:22:33 am »

(I guess there will be very different opinions on what sort of critters are there and how to 'catalogize' them...)

There are. Some ceremonial mages during bthe early 20th century even wrote "papers" on the subject -- that tended to completely disagree with each other. LOL.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Diamond NightShade
Master Member
Last Login:May 15, 2008, 06:55:38 pm

Religion: Nature-focused paganism, with many Christian influences perhaps.

Ah-ber: Sweet yet crazy... Yep that's me!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: February 18, 2008, 10:18:42 am »

There are. Some ceremonial mages during bthe early 20th century even wrote "papers" on the subject -- that tended to completely disagree with each other. LOL.
Then again, isn't that the case with MANY things? Each person has a totally different POV, and even if you are looking at the same exact stimuli, doesn't mean you will see the same thing, nor will you interpret it the same. You may have missed something that one person noticed, because it wasn't of importance to you, whereas it was to them.

"I would like an order of crazy, with a touch of confusion on the side, please! Thanks you!"
-Myself
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #19: February 18, 2008, 12:51:15 pm »

You may have missed something that one person noticed, because it wasn't of importance to you, whereas it was to them.

it's not even that the other person "missed" it necessarily. It is more like it just wasn't there, or they experienced it in a totally different way. Journeying and meditating with other people is always so fascinating b/c of this.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #20: February 18, 2008, 01:28:53 pm »

Then again, isn't that the case with MANY things? Each person has a totally different POV, and even if you are looking at the same exact stimuli, doesn't mean you will see the same thing, nor will you interpret it the same.
Yeah, but maybe RandallS is laughing because some debates are fiercer and funnier than others. It also has to do with how the people behave towards each other's position and what kind of argumentation they built up. Some scientific debates I've came across for example are very funny, though often in a sarcastic way.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Diamond NightShade
Master Member
Last Login:May 15, 2008, 06:55:38 pm

Religion: Nature-focused paganism, with many Christian influences perhaps.

Ah-ber: Sweet yet crazy... Yep that's me!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: February 18, 2008, 01:32:20 pm »

it's not even that the other person "missed" it necessarily. It is more like it just wasn't there, or they experienced it in a totally different way. Journeying and meditating with other people is always so fascinating b/c of this.
Oh I know. I was just speaking generally. You still might miss something someone noticed that WAS there. Like, you just never payed any attention to it because there was so much other things taking your attention. But yes, as you said, they experienced it in a totally different way perhaps. That was basically what I was getting at I suppose. In a way.

I have never tried meditation with other people yet, but plan to eventually. Once I am ungrounded and am able to communicate with society outside of the internet. (grades. Bleh.)

"I would like an order of crazy, with a touch of confusion on the side, please! Thanks you!"
-Myself

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)