The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 29, 2020, 03:34:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2020, 03:34:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: USDA recalls 143 million pounds of beef  (Read 2922 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: February 17, 2008, 06:32:52 pm »

This one was important enough to warrant its own thread. The cynic in me wonders what in the hell took them so long. That video has been out for a couple of weeks, and apparently, the situation there was known before then.

USDA recalls 143 million pounds of beef
U.S. officials call action on S. Calif. slaughterhouse largest beef recall ever

LOS ANGELES - The U.S. Department of Agriculture on Sunday recalled 143 million pounds of frozen beef from a California slaughterhouse, the subject of an animal-abuse investigation, that provided meat to school lunch programs.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23212514/

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: February 17, 2008, 06:56:07 pm »

This one was important enough to warrant its own thread. The cynic in me wonders what in the hell took them so long. That video has been out for a couple of weeks, and apparently, the situation there was known before then.

USDA recalls 143 million pounds of beef
U.S. officials call action on S. Calif. slaughterhouse largest beef recall ever

LOS ANGELES - The U.S. Department of Agriculture on Sunday recalled 143 million pounds of frozen beef from a California slaughterhouse, the subject of an animal-abuse investigation, that provided meat to school lunch programs.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23212514/

*thinks back to the tacos he had for dinner*

Since the slaughterhouse is in So. California then none of the meat would be sold here on the East Coast right?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: February 17, 2008, 07:45:49 pm »

*thinks back to the tacos he had for dinner*

Since the slaughterhouse is in So. California then none of the meat would be sold here on the East Coast right?

I believe some of it went to New York. This article wasn't particularly helpful. I'll have to see if I can't find something a bit more descriptive.

whambamcam
Journeyman
Last Login:April 27, 2008, 03:26:18 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan-witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 17, 2008, 08:47:13 pm »

"Today marks the largest beef recall in U.S. history, and it involves the national school lunch program and other federal food and nutrition programs," said U.S. Sen. Tom Harkin, chairman of the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry. "This begs the question: how much longer will we continue to test our luck with weak enforcement of federal food safety regulations?"

Very important question indeed.  Personally from that article I do not see enough being done, punishment wise as well.  I can't belive people could treat animals like that and sell the meat to be consumed by children.  Just seems like a nasty epidemic is waiting to happen.

Luceo non uro (I burn but am not consumed)

I birn quil I se (I burn while I shall burn)

Hold fast
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: February 17, 2008, 09:27:49 pm »

"Today marks the largest beef recall in U.S. history, and it involves the national school lunch program and other federal food and nutrition programs," said U.S. Sen. Tom Harkin, chairman of the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry. "This begs the question: how much longer will we continue to test our luck with weak enforcement of federal food safety regulations?"

Very important question indeed.  Personally from that article I do not see enough being done, punishment wise as well.  I can't belive people could treat animals like that and sell the meat to be consumed by children.  Just seems like a nasty epidemic is waiting to happen.

This was a really, really ugly situation. One that I'm pretty sure wasn't well hidden and, unfortunately, probably not that rare here. (This is why I was pitching such a fit about the horse slaughtering plants here in the US. It's hard enough to watch that video with cattle involved; I can only imagine the outrage if it was horses...that may sound crass, but I'm pretty sure it's true.)

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: February 18, 2008, 11:36:40 am »

Unless something else comes to light in the articles being written, it just doesn't look like there's much information about this. Which, when you think about it is really pretty shitty. You've got the largest beef recall in US history and little to go on. The cynic in me says the USDA felt like it had to make some sort of response, and here it is. From what I'm seeing on the USDA's website, there's really nothing more in the way of helpful consumer information.

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 18, 2008, 11:44:13 am »

Unless something else comes to light in the articles being written, it just doesn't look like there's much information about this. Which, when you think about it is really pretty shitty. You've got the largest beef recall in US history and little to go on. The cynic in me says the USDA felt like it had to make some sort of response, and here it is. From what I'm seeing on the USDA's website, there's really nothing more in the way of helpful consumer information.

Sounds like they are recalling in response to the Humane Society investigation/video.  They said that no illnesses have been reported, and they don't expect any too, they are just covering their butts.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: February 18, 2008, 12:13:11 pm »

Sounds like they are recalling in response to the Humane Society investigation/video.  They said that no illnesses have been reported, and they don't expect any too, they are just covering their butts.

I know that's what it's in response to, but I don't think I've ever seen a recall where at least some lot numbers and/or dates weren't included in the information. That's what I find so odd...it's as if the only reason they're doing this is because of the video and there's no real information being provided to guide consumers.

Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 18, 2008, 12:17:05 pm »

Which IMO misses the point.   It's not the potential for illness that primarily concerns me (if people survive twinkies, they can survive anything).  Cruel and inhumane treatment of animals should be a scandal. 

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: February 20, 2008, 10:58:52 am »

I heard on the radio yesterday that this recall dates back two years. IMO, that's a blanket "cover our arse" type thing instead of a genuine concern because most of the meat in question has already been consumed.

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: February 20, 2008, 04:58:33 pm »

If only one good thing comes out of this horrific situation, I hope it's a serious discussion on the US's methods of mass slaughter and how the animals are treated up to and during the process.

Bad News on Beef
A food safety expert discusses the largest meat recall in U.S. history.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/113695

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)