The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 28, 2022, 06:19:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2022, 06:19:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: High School -- Grades  (Read 13041 times)
whambamcam
Journeyman
Last Login:April 27, 2008, 03:26:18 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan-witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 24, 2008, 06:53:28 pm »

Well I'm having a problem in high school, and half my grades are slipping below the "A" belt, and one is on the borderline of a "C".   Tongue

I can't seem to really master the topics, and I want some tips on how to study. How do you guys study, prepare for tests, and overall do your best in classes. Have any tips in memorization?

Thank you  Wink

Hey there, for English I recommend really familiarising yourself with the texts you have to learn.  Reread it numerous times, begin to look at themes, motifs, writing structure and remember key quotes from the text.  Always ask why the writer does something and pay attention to things that stand out, look at the way the text is written as well.

If you can, in an essay based exam, spend 5 mins planning what to write- i.e. writing intro with one or two lines what you are going to say, using key words from the question, and then write point 1- with one or two words, point two… conclusion-writing down the key words from the question and a few words about your conclusion.  Do not just dive in to the question. 

By planning, you are showing the examiner that you are structuring your essay; it quickly demonstrates that you are thinking about what is being asked and it keeps you to the point of the question rather than rambling on.  There is less chance of you misreading a question.  No matter how simple a question may seem, always always read it carefully.

In multiple choice exams, in questions that you don’t know the answers to, eliminate the answers that clearly seem wrong i.e. D) all of the above.  That way you can increase the probability of you getting the right answer.

If you can, ask your teachers to lend you some past papers.  That is a must!  It helps you get used to a type of exam, what questions are common and likely to be asked.  It gives the advantage that you can test yourself under exam conditions to help give you practise in completing it under the time and ideally double checking your work.

I help remember things through visualisation, especially when I was doing things like biology.  It helps you to understand what is going on.  I did this in things like theoretical experiments that I would be questioned about but never did. 

Associate key concepts, dates, people with words or objects, no matter how silly or rude, think up silly scenarios like others have suggested. It helps! It helped me in history which is really just a big soap opera.

Repeating things out loud can be helpful as is writing out a text book answer using your own words.

Luceo non uro (I burn but am not consumed)

I birn quil I se (I burn while I shall burn)

Hold fast

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)