The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 19, 2019, 04:33:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2019, 04:33:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Symbols, Icons, and Statues, Oh My!  (Read 6044 times)
Onyx RoseMoon
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 22, 2008, 03:39:35 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 19, 2008, 11:38:12 pm »

Sorry, had a "Dorothy" moment...

Actually, I am wondering... what are some of the symbols, icons, and statues, that you use in your Craft? Is there anything that you use that is unique in its own sense?

What do they mean to you?

I've just recently ordered a celtic cross with a simulated onyx gem and a black silk chain necklace.

The reason I ordered them is because they match, LOL! No just kidding, the cross symbolizes to me, the Crossroads... and since Hecate is calling me to Her, it couldn't have been more perfect... which I had the necklace on hold for a week and just 2 days ago, I heard Her start to call me... strange, eh?

So that's the only symbol that I'm really thinking of at the moment...

Now, what about you?

Onyx RoseMoon

"Whatsoever thou wilt, do thou responsibly."

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 20, 2008, 06:52:51 pm »

I've just recently ordered a celtic cross with a simulated onyx gem and a black silk chain necklace.

The reason I ordered them is because they match, LOL! No just kidding, the cross symbolizes to me, the Crossroads... and since Hecate is calling me to Her, it couldn't have been more perfect... which I had the necklace on hold for a week and just 2 days ago, I heard Her start to call me... strange, eh?

So that's the only symbol that I'm really thinking of at the moment...

Now, what about you?

I'm still trying to figure out what a Celtic Cross has to do withe Hekate.  Simulated onyx or not....

You do know that Hekate is neither Christian nor Celtic, right?

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
sunny
Apprentice
Last Login:July 22, 2008, 05:55:32 pm

Religion: druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 20, 2008, 07:10:59 pm »

Now, what about you?
i don't know if the frog or the owl or the stag on my one altar really symbolize anything/anyone in particular. i pay my respects to the nature deities, whoever they are and i'm not about to tell them who they might be when they don't seem to see fit to tell me who they might be. i don't really use them for anything though.
i've always kept at least one of my flutes on that altar as well, and a guitar nearby. i do use those things. and i drink the single malt that i keep on the altar as well.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: February 20, 2008, 07:43:23 pm »

Actually, I am wondering... what are some of the symbols, icons, and statues, that you use in your Craft? Is there anything that you use that is unique in its own sense?

I have various items representing various gods stored in one of my closets.  I typically switch them out whenever I do a ritual for one.  The pentacle has some symbolic meaning for me and I do wear one.  I also sometimes wear an Egyptian ankh even though I don't follow those gods.  Ideally, I would love to get a twelve-pointed star but I'm afraid it would have to be custom made.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Onyx RoseMoon
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 20, 2008, 08:16:49 pm »

I'm still trying to figure out what a Celtic Cross has to do withe Hekate.  Simulated onyx or not....

You do know that Hekate is neither Christian nor Celtic, right?

The design is pretty... LOL!

No actually, the cross symbolizes to me, the Crossroads, like I said. Hecate is the Guardian of the Crossroads. So, when I'm wearing my necklace, it will be reminding me that I am a Witch devoted to Hecate and at the same time remind me that we all must pass through the Crossroads in our lives.

Onyx RoseMoon

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #5: February 20, 2008, 11:02:17 pm »

The design is pretty... LOL!

No actually, the cross symbolizes to me, the Crossroads, like I said. Hecate is the Guardian of the Crossroads. So, when I'm wearing my necklace, it will be reminding me that I am a Witch devoted to Hecate and at the same time remind me that we all must pass through the Crossroads in our lives.

Wouldn't it be more respectful to wear a symbol that has meaning to Hecate herself, rather than to you?  Dogs, torches, knives - these things are in her iconography.  Crosses are not.

Wearing it to please yourself, because you like it, is one thing, but just 'assigning' it to Hecate and figuring she will be honoured is not, IMO, a good way to go.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Onyx RoseMoon
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 20, 2008, 11:14:53 pm »

Wouldn't it be more respectful to wear a symbol that has meaning to Hecate herself, rather than to you?  Dogs, torches, knives - these things are in her iconography.  Crosses are not.

Wearing it to please yourself, because you like it, is one thing, but just 'assigning' it to Hecate and figuring she will be honoured is not, IMO, a good way to go.

Absent

After thinking about it... I realized that the cross is just a symbolism of the Crossroads to me... and protection...

When the time is right... Hecate will make a way for me to get items that will honor Her.... Sorry if I've said anything stupid or "fluffy" in any sense...

I really do seek to honor Her... but materialistic things are not always what I feel She seeks... at least not at this point in my walk with Her... but I'm sure one day She'll make a way for me to be able to do such.

Sorry again.

Onyx RoseMoon

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #7: February 21, 2008, 12:03:21 am »

but I'm sure one day She'll make a way for me to be able to do such.

I think she will expect you to make your own way, to be honest.    The pagan gods don't tend to micro-manage people.  You have to stand on your own feet with them.  Learn about her, figure out what would be acceptable, and offer it.  She isn't really likely to hand you an apple, for instance, and say 'now offer this to Me'.  You would have to go get the apple yourself.  (Or appropriate other offering).

Even if she has 'tapped' you as one of hers, she isn't going to start governing your life, bringing you the experiences and abilities you need as you need them.  Personal growth is up to you.  She has specific areas of life that she governs and is interested in.  One of the big problems newer pagans have is letting go of the omni-omni-omni cradle-to-grave view of gods (or God) that is common in the dominant religious culture.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Onyx RoseMoon
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 21, 2008, 12:08:39 am »

I think she will expect you to make your own way, to be honest.    The pagan gods don't tend to micro-manage people.  You have to stand on your own feet with them.  Learn about her, figure out what would be acceptable, and offer it.  She isn't really likely to hand you an apple, for instance, and say 'now offer this to Me'.  You would have to go get the apple yourself.  (Or appropriate other offering).

Even if she has 'tapped' you as one of hers, she isn't going to start governing your life, bringing you the experiences and abilities you need as you need them.  Personal growth is up to you.  She has specific areas of life that she governs and is interested in.  One of the big problems newer pagans have is letting go of the omni-omni-omni cradle-to-grave view of gods (or God) that is common in the dominant religious culture.

Absent

Makes sense... hmm... well... off I go to do research.

Thanks Absent!

Onyx RoseMoon

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 21, 2008, 02:00:57 am »

One of the big problems newer pagans have is letting go of the omni-omni-omni cradle-to-grave view of gods (or God) that is common in the dominant religious culture.
LOL, Absent, so true! Even years after I've stopped believing in the Catholic way I still had kind of a 'monotheistic' mindset like thinking monocausal, dogmatic or dualistic about certain aspects of life. Was a lot of effort (and grief) to let go of some stuff that was rather unhealthy for me, but still persisted to rule my life in some obscure ways.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 21, 2008, 07:47:40 am »

Now, what about you?
I have a bit of a fascination with spiral shaped things and spiralic movements, but haven't yet found the time to research in which religions and symbolic sets spirals come up.

Maybe someone can point me into a few directions where I might find something spirally?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 26, 2008, 07:26:12 pm »

Now, what about you?

I've loved compass roses for a long time.  These days I see them almost as an axis mundi, and relate them to center and circumference.  I also associate them with paths branching off and way-opening, and so they remind me of Wepwawet, although that association isn't remotely historical and I don't use them "formally" as a symbol of Him.  They are one of my symbols of the Department (the small group/semi-tradition that I lead/maintain with my beloved).

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 28, 2008, 06:28:51 pm »

Now, what about you?

I have a series of abstract symbols, mostly derived from sacred geometry and astronomy, that are interrelated and that have a lot of deep meanings for me. They're connected to my gods and their myths.

Also, being a longtime comics guy, I own two action figures, which I use to symbolize the concepts of goddess and god: the X-Man Storm, and another Marvel character, the Sub-Mariner. These are the two characters who have always resonated most with me. Yeah, it's silly. So sue me.

I realized one day that with these two superheroes as my avatars of the divine, I'd invested the the classically "male" elements--air and fire (Storm is known for her indomitable will)--in a female character, and the classically "female" elements--water and earth (the Sub-Mariner's body is superstrong)--in a male character. (I'm into gender polarity, obviously.) It made me wonder if the subconscious gender transposition was a gay thing.

whambamcam
Journeyman
Last Login:April 27, 2008, 03:26:18 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan-witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 28, 2008, 07:36:43 pm »

I realized one day that with these two superheroes as my avatars of the divine

Im just glad your not using Jean Grey lol Wink

Luceo non uro (I burn but am not consumed)

I birn quil I se (I burn while I shall burn)

Hold fast
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 29, 2008, 01:47:58 am »

I wish someone would have told me this when I started. 

And now I have Darkhawk's Omni-omni-foo-foo stuck in my head. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)