The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 21, 2021, 08:34:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2021, 08:34:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Irish Pantheon  (Read 28161 times)
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #45: March 09, 2008, 03:57:33 pm »

Taranis? He's Teutonic. I'll have to dig out my references, but he's a deity in the Gwyddon pantheon. Similar to Tyr of the Norse.
Actually, I am fairly sure that both Taranis and Lugh (Lugus) are both orginally Gaulish deities, but they were very popular and were incorporated by many different cultures and tribes.

Both of these have some interesting information.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/rac/rac06.htm
http://www.timelessmyths.com/celtic/gallic.html

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

QuercusRobur
Journeyman
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 05:18:37 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Irish Traditionalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #46: March 12, 2008, 04:45:10 pm »

Which deities of the Irish pantheon do we want to include? The ones I can think of off the top of my head...

I forgot Bodb Dearg - I sacrificed to him recently for a fair judgement and I can't think how the judgement I got could have been fairer.

Someone said Finn Mac Cumhail - for me he's not a god as he's a mortal, and not one of the Tuatha De Danaan or Fomorians or Milesians.
Coll9
Journeyman
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 08:03:23 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: March 13, 2008, 06:18:02 am »

Someone said Finn Mac Cumhail - for me he's not a god as he's a mortal, and not one of the Tuatha De Danaan or Fomorians or Milesians.

I'd consider him more semi-divine, like a demi-god.
QuercusRobur
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #48: March 15, 2008, 12:10:48 pm »

I'd consider him more semi-divine, like a demi-god.

Why do you consider him as semi-divine?

I'd put Cuchalainn under semi-devine, since his father is Lugh but I wouldn't make offerings to him or anything else.
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #49: March 15, 2008, 04:48:15 pm »

I'd put Cuchalainn under semi-devine, since his father is Lugh but I wouldn't make offerings to him or anything else.

Do you know if Irish Reconstructionists (and Celtic religious revivalists) generally practice 'hero worship' (in a theological sense, somewhat different from the meaning of the phrase in modern English), as we Hellenic polytheists do?

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
QuercusRobur
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: March 15, 2008, 05:56:49 pm »

Do you know if Irish Reconstructionists (and Celtic religious revivalists) generally practice 'hero worship' (in a theological sense, somewhat different from the meaning of the phrase in modern English), as we Hellenic polytheists do?

I don't, but I'm just speaking for me here.
Coll9
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #51: March 15, 2008, 06:16:41 pm »

Supposedly, he is related to Nuada through his mother who was the daughter of the druid Tadg Mac Nuadat. He also ate of the divine salmon of knowledge giving him great wisdom and the gift of sight.

Through his great deeds, heroic exploits, and words of wisdom, I'd say that Fionn is worthy of being "deified" or at least given honor and reverence. Our ancestors aren't divine nor are they gods but we worship them anyway. They still influence our lives and the world after death. So why not Fionn, an exceptional warrior-poet, sage, prophet, and Fian King?
QuercusRobur
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: March 15, 2008, 06:58:25 pm »

Through his great deeds, heroic exploits, and words of wisdom, I'd say that Fionn is worthy of being "deified" or at least given honor and reverence. Our ancestors aren't divine nor are they gods but we worship them anyway. They still influence our lives and the world after death. So why not Fionn, an exceptional warrior-poet, sage, prophet, and Fian King?

I wouldn't deify Fionn because he is a hero.  It would be like deifying the Brahan Seer, who was an exceptional seer.  They're people I look up to, but not worship.  Also because he was a mortal, whereas the Tuatha De Danaan and Fomorrii weren't.

As for ancestors, while I don't worship them, I can see why others do.  But they have a blood connection to you and interest in what you do.  I think that the gods have an interest in you so that you keep belief in them alive.  But Fionn is a well-known figure before deification: what would he get out of deification?
Coll9
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #53: March 15, 2008, 10:22:57 pm »

I wouldn't deify Fionn because he is a hero.  It would be like deifying the Brahan Seer, who was an exceptional seer.  They're people I look up to, but not worship.  Also because he was a mortal, whereas the Tuatha De Danaan and Fomorrii weren't.

As for ancestors, while I don't worship them, I can see why others do.  But they have a blood connection to you and interest in what you do.  I think that the gods have an interest in you so that you keep belief in them alive.  But Fionn is a well-known figure before deification: what would he get out of deification?

I don't see how him being mortal is a problem. And why not deify a hero? There is a fair amount of evidence of hero-worship amongst the Celts.

I should clarify that I don't mean officially deify him as a god, but in the sense that he is a figure of honor and reverence. He would be of the Andéithe, the 'not-gods', but still 'divine' nonetheless.
QuercusRobur
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #54: March 21, 2008, 05:41:23 pm »

I don't see how him being mortal is a problem. And why not deify a hero? There is a fair amount of evidence of hero-worship amongst the Celts.

I've always qualified god = not being mortal.  From what I remember, the Grecian, Roman and Norse pantheons have gods which are not mortal, and the Tuatha De Danaan drink a drink made by Goibhnu to ensure immortality, so for me a deity has to be immortal.
Coll9
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #55: March 21, 2008, 07:01:50 pm »

I've always qualified god = not being mortal.  From what I remember, the Grecian, Roman and Norse pantheons have gods which are not mortal, and the Tuatha De Danaan drink a drink made by Goibhnu to ensure immortality, so for me a deity has to be immortal.

I don't believe he is a god, either, but still a divine entity. Don't forget, the Tuatha De Danann were composed of de ocus an-de (gods and not-gods), so all the TDD may be immortal but not all of the TDD are gods.

There are some legends that say Finn never died and is asleep under Dublin waiting to protect Ireland when in need. If you believe that, then he could very well qualify as immortal.
QuercusRobur
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #56: April 06, 2008, 01:43:29 pm »

I don't believe he is a god, either, but still a divine entity. Don't forget, the Tuatha De Danann were composed of de ocus an-de (gods and not-gods), so all the TDD may be immortal but not all of the TDD are gods.

Yup, I'm taking notes on the mythological entities (171 personages so far) and then I have to work out which are gods.  That's the difficult bit if you don't count the Anu/Danu/Danaan bit and the Morrigu triad, which names different personages according to which text you're reading and which Anu could be a part of.  I'm not thinking about that at the moment.

There are some legends that say Finn never died and is asleep under Dublin waiting to protect Ireland when in need. If you believe that, then he could very well qualify as immortal.

If it's true (this is said about just about any Dark Ages leader, which you probably know)*, then he still could be mortal, but one in an ensorcelled sleep; thus he could wake up, help Ireland in it's hour of need and then die.  Who knows?

*I did like it when the tv show "Babylon 5" picked up on that and used it, there's a fair bit of Arthurian myth kicking around in that series.
QuercusRobur
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #57: April 20, 2008, 12:15:18 pm »

I don't believe he is a god, either, but still a divine entity.

Why don't you believe he is a god?
Coll9
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #58: April 20, 2008, 12:40:36 pm »

Why don't you believe he is a god?
UPG, mostly.
QuercusRobur
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #59: April 26, 2008, 02:28:32 pm »

UPG, mostly.

I'm sorry but I don't know what UPG stands for.  I did a search in case it was a net acronym, but somehow I don't think you mean "UPG = Hasanudin airport (code) [Indonesia]".

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)