The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 18, 2021, 12:04:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2021, 12:04:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My Eclectic Path... Help Needed.  (Read 2739 times)
Onyx RoseMoon
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 22, 2008, 03:39:35 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 21, 2008, 01:02:06 am »

I was wondering... I'm researching Hecate and am a very spiritual person. I'm somewhat clairvoyant and am getting a deck of URW (Universal-Rider Waite) tarot cards. I'm also very interested in the paranormal research.

Here's a list of some things I'm interested in:

- Hoodoo
- Folk Magick
- Greek Mythology
- Pagan Spiritualism
- Herbalism/Kitchen Witchery

So, first of all... how do I follow Hecate and incorporate all these things into my Craft? Is there something that could cause a potential conflict to arise?

If so, what's the best thing for me to do?

And, what's some of the ways you've combined your Craft to be eclectic?

Onyx RoseMoon

"Whatsoever thou wilt, do thou responsibly."

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 21, 2008, 01:49:57 am »

I was wondering... I'm researching Hecate and am a very spiritual person. I'm somewhat clairvoyant and am getting a deck of URW (Universal-Rider Waite) tarot cards. I'm also very interested in the paranormal research.

Here's a list of some things I'm interested in:

- Hoodoo
- Folk Magick
- Greek Mythology
- Pagan Spiritualism
- Herbalism/Kitchen Witchery

So, first of all... how do I follow Hecate and incorporate all these things into my Craft? Is there something that could cause a potential conflict to arise?

I'm not an expert, but wonder if you have to integrate everything into your Craft or worship. I have come across a lot of people who read Tarot cards, cut herbs in the right moon phase etc., practice parts of folk magic, but don't see it as religious practice. Some of them don't call themselves Pagan. So vice versa, I wonder why you have to view everything you do from a religious perspective.

But it's your choice, I just wanted to mention that it is a choice. I don't think you have to make everything spiritual/psychic a religious practice, but if you feel your religion would enrich certain practices, finding a way to integrate them into it may help you.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Onyx RoseMoon
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 22, 2008, 03:39:35 pm

Religion: Eclectic Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 21, 2008, 02:05:41 am »

I'm not an expert, but wonder if you have to integrate everything into your Craft or worship. I have come across a lot of people who read Tarot cards, cut herbs in the right moon phase etc., practice parts of folk magic, but don't see it as religious practice. Some of them don't call themselves Pagan. So vice versa, I wonder why you have to view everything you do from a religious perspective.

But it's your choice, I just wanted to mention that it is a choice. I don't think you have to make everything spiritual/psychic a religious practice, but if you feel your religion would enrich certain practices, finding a way to integrate them into it may help you.

I don't know... I guess I just feel more at home having somewhat of religious practices.

Maybe that's another thing I need to rid myself of and just do what feels right.

Onyx RoseMoon

"Whatsoever thou wilt, do thou responsibly."
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 05, 2021, 02:13:46 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: February 21, 2008, 07:31:41 am »

I don't know... I guess I just feel more at home having somewhat of religious practices.

Maybe that's another thing I need to rid myself of and just do what feels right.
I don't think Passionfruit was saying it was an either/or, but that several of those things don't have to be part of whatever religious practices you have.  You could consider them as being connected, in greater or lesser degree, to your religious practices, or you could consider them to be separate from your religious practices.

Eclecticism is full of potential conflicts.  But the one you seem to be anxious about shouldn't be one - Hekate is not going to blast you to smithereens for daring to have an interest she hasn't pre-approved.

If you want to have a better idea what she'd think of something, look for clues in the Hellenic lore about her, or just ask her directly.  But you don't have to meekly stick only to what she approves of - in fact, meek obedience strikes me as the thing most likely to cause her to think you'd look better castrated.  ("If he has no gonads in his character, why should he have physical ones?")

The best advice I can give on how to (and how not to) manage your eclecticism isn't mine; it's Darkhawk's, and can be found in this essay in the Article Library.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 21, 2008, 09:13:07 am »

Offhand, I would say to just do it.  Smiley As someone who struggled with how to fit hoodoo, tarot and herbalism into Kemeticism, I understand where you're coming from. It seems to me that you might be trying to find a way to make it work into a path? I say just do each individual thing, like practice hoodoo, do herbalism. It can be apart of your life without thinking about it. It doesn't have to actively fit into a framework, it can be what makes you you. I always said "Kemetic is what I AM, magic is what I DO.' Although it is a way of life like your beliefs and could be linked to your beliefs, it doesn't have to be set up into your life in a particular framework.

In other words, in my experience, I do hoodoo because it strikes a deep chord in me. always has. I practice herbalism because it works. To the point where others now come to me for advice on it. I AM Kemetic, following the ancient Egyptian Netjer in life and practice. but that has precious little to do with the other aspects of me, at least no more the peripherally.

You can have religious practices that are very much meaningful to you in your life, and then a couple of days later do a tarot reading on an issue that is bugging you. They could be connected to your religious practice - you would be surprised at the things you can involve your gods in - or not. depending on you. My gods want nothing to do with my path other than the roles they play. My hoodoo has little to do with them, and they seem to prefer it that way. Same goes with herbalism. But that's just my path.  Smiley
Nevyn
Journeyman
Last Login:February 01, 2011, 10:42:36 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 21, 2008, 09:42:18 am »

I'm not an expert, but wonder if you have to integrate everything into your Craft or worship.

Wise words, now obviously this is only my opinion, but I see magic as a craft something you learn to use which CAN be totally separate from any religious practise you may choose to have, so if your interested in Hekate and Greek Recon make that your spiritual practise, hoodoo, tarot and all the other gubbins need have no bearing on that side of things.

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 21, 2008, 09:50:40 am »

Almost everything I do these days is done in a religious context - what I read, how I cook, what I listen to, where I spend my time.

However, they're not all part of my *religion*. And while I'd share many of the things I do with someone I was teaching my path to (as I'm likely to be doing, and probably sooner than later), I wouldn't expect them to do exactly the same things in their daily lives. I would expect us to share the specific practices of the path - stuff like how we generally approach working with deities, set up circle, or the celebrations and events that are meaningful to us.

Here's a few examples:

Take the principle: "It's important to have a daily practice" (something my tradition teaches/encourages). Mine involves, among a number of other things, the use of iTunes playlists (I'm very music oriented). My covenmates think this is a little weird, and they have trouble understanding how some of it works for me - but they know it works. They, on the other hand, have personal practices that I know they do - but that wouldn't do much for me. 

One of my personal path commitments has to do with information and knowledge and sharing it. This manifests in my education and my day job/professional vocation (librarian), and it also informs a lot of my pleasure reading, online time, and where and how I focus. Much of what I read isn't explicitly Pagan or obviously religious - but it all feeds into that larger religious goal.

I do divination for different reasons - and with different methods, including one I created. I do it sometimes for self-awareness and knowledge, which obviously affects my religious life. But it's not *required* that I do divination as part of my religious life. (The furthest my trad goes is "It's a useful tool, and we're going to teach it to you, but you are not required to use it if you decide not to")

And (as the post I just read notes), magic is often another place this happens. In my path, some magical practices (like casting a circle and the steps involved in that) are required, and someone who didn't want to do any magical/spellwork/energy focusing work at all would likely not want to follow our path. But that's also a common distinction.

On the other hand, I spent last night at a 2nd degree elevation ritual: the way that ritual works, what needs to happen in it, and so on, is very clearly and specifically laid out in our tradition: a ritual that didn't include those elements would not be within the same (very small) path. That's a religious practice, in the terms I'm using.

Does that give you some idea of the distinction?

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)