The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2019, 04:47:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2019, 04:47:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Interpretation of Greek Myths  (Read 4027 times)
JoeNYCBoi
Last Login:February 24, 2008, 12:11:02 pm
United States United States

Religion: seeker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 21, 2008, 02:46:25 am »

I'm curious to know how members and other practitioners of Hellenic Polytheism understand and interpret the myths.  Do you take them as they are, or do you believe they point to higher meaning?

I guess I envision a Christian asking the same question to a Hellenist, only to be told, "Well, how do you view your own central story of your savior being born of a virgin, who tradition says conceived when the spirit of God entered her ear?"  But it is a valid question.  Modern-day Christians are faced with similar questions.  Some take it literally, others are quite happy as Christians who believe Jesus was born as any other man and yet had something unique to say to humankind. 

I mean, how do Hellenists treat the stories of Zeus' adventures outside his marriage to Hera, or the apple contest between the Goddesses that started the Trojan War?  And I ask this with complete respect to this faith and its teachings. I suppose it's sort of a silly question since many ancient Greeks themselves interpreted their sacred stories symbolically, but they just as well posited that some of them happened just as they were told.

Not sure if this has been asked on here. I looked but didn't find anything. Would be interested in seeing what you all have to say.

Thanks.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: February 21, 2008, 07:43:54 am »

It depends on the myth, really.  For example, I think the stories of Jason, Theseus, Perseus and the Theben Cycle were mostly fictional.  When it comes to stories of the gods themselves, I'm on the fence about them.  On one hand, I think that some of them might be real and on the other I think they are just to illustrate the nature of the gods.

However, the myths don't play a huge part in my practice and iirc they didn't in the ancient cults either.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 07, 2019, 10:49:07 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: February 21, 2008, 08:08:13 am »

I'm curious to know how members and other practitioners of Hellenic Polytheism understand and interpret the myths.  Do you take them as they are, or do you believe they point to higher meaning?

The Greek myths are true in that they provide true information about the relationship or the Gods to each other and to humanity, but the stories themselves are just stories. Sure, some of them probably have a underlying kernel of historical fact (The Illiad, for example -- there really was a Troy and a war), but none of them are literally true and I don't know any Hellenic Pagan who believes they are. Also, we tend to believe they were written by humans who were inspired by the Muses or even a deity on occasion, but they are not thought to have been dictated by the Gods the way some conservative Christians see the Bible.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 22, 2008, 08:55:45 pm »

Honestly. I doubt they're authenticity, but I think that they may have had some original incident to spark them. As for those involving the gods/goddesses, I think they are the cultures way of describing the gods personality and how their followers related to them.
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 22, 2008, 11:24:22 pm »

Yes.  Cheesy

Seriously, though, most myths can be read on a number of different levels and interpreted a number of different ways - literally, historically, metaphorically, allegorically etc. I think you will find very few Hellenics who are literalists; you're more likely to find philosophers challenging the validity of myths at all - and that's a very ancient tradition, too.
Therapon
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 12, 2008, 12:01:20 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hellenismos

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 26, 2008, 08:38:11 am »

Quote from: Caroline
most myths can be read on a number of different levels and interpreted a number of different ways - literally, historically, metaphorically, allegorically etc. I think you will find very few Hellenics who are literalists; you're more likely to find philosophers challenging the validity of myths at all - and that's a very ancient tradition, too.

I think thats how they were intended.

Most Neoplatonists I've met on various boards don't challenge the 'validity' of myths but they they would challenge an overtly literalistic view of them. To paraphrase one post recently from a philsophical perspective. "A myth is more "real" than any historical event...a myth is a truth that is happening always".
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: March 26, 2008, 08:56:04 am »

A quick note, Therapon...  Please don't forget to leave the quote code intact.  We need the bit with all the numbers for the link back to the post you're replying to.  It should look something like this:
[quote author=Therapon link=topic=4713.msg87353#msg87353 date=1206535091]

Thanks!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Therapon
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 12, 2008, 12:01:20 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hellenismos

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 26, 2008, 09:23:53 am »

No problem.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)