The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 14, 2021, 07:38:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 14, 2021, 07:38:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sacred Space?  (Read 17246 times)
Valkyriia
Journeyman
Last Login:August 13, 2011, 08:54:09 pm
United States United States

Religion: solitary Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 22, 2008, 05:49:32 pm »

I'm sure this post might belong somewhere else, if it does I'm sorry. I'm still a newbie.
 I was wondering if anyone else has Sacred Space like I do?
 I think I was reading a Ravenwolf book and she talked about Sacred Space in your mind. I've set up my own "garden." I don't have physical Sacred Space because we don't have enought space and my husband is a different faith than I am.
 I go there when I try to meditate and whenever I can't sleep. I have a Grecian temple there (three of my deities are Greek) I also have Celtic and Norse themes there too. (as you can guess I have one God from the Celtic and one from the Norse Pantheons)

Valkyriia

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Valkyriia
Journeyman
Last Login:August 13, 2011, 08:54:09 pm

Religion: solitary Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 22, 2008, 06:27:55 pm »

In my garden it is easier for me to converse with three of the five deities I work with.

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #2: February 22, 2008, 06:58:04 pm »

Yep.  I have physical sacred space in my yard, but it used to be inaccessible for me a lot of the time because the path between shed and creek was too narrow and uneven for a wheelchair.  I can walk there now and do my thing physically, but I still keep my mental area swept up and usable.

My mental 'space' is an improbable clearing in a primeval forest with landscape features surrounding it that would never be found in such close proximity in the real world, but they have symbolic value for me so I don't worry.  Since it's in my head to begin with I figure I can design it how I like.

It doesn't change much from visit to visit, and sometimes if I'm having a rough go I sleep there.  I rarely wake up there, but it's the actual getting to sleep part that's important and that place is soothing in those circumstances.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 22, 2008, 08:04:25 pm »

My bedroom is my temple, and even though the rest of the house is energetically a mess most of the time (I just do not have the energy to keep it pure and clean and cozy and filled with my specific "flavor" of preferred energy with all of the influences coming in and out) I put a ton of work into making my bedroom my special sacred space. The door is always closed, and it is physically, as well as energetically, "blocked off" from the rest of the house.

When you walk through my door you can literally see, feel and smell a difference (I burn a lot of incense in there). It's tangible in every way.

I also have myriad mental "spaces" that I go to at various times...each one of them seems to suit a different need.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: February 22, 2008, 08:16:58 pm »

sometimes if I'm having a rough go I sleep there.  I rarely wake up there, but it's the actual getting to sleep part that's important and that place is soothing in those circumstances.

What a great idea!  I think I'll try that as an insomnia treatment.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: February 22, 2008, 10:00:39 pm »

As for physical space, it is limited to the top of a small bookcase in my largest closet.  I would like to have an entire room but at the moment I'm afraid my altar has to share space with my towels on the shelf above, my clothing hanging from the rod to the right and the door to the bathroom on the left.

I used to do mental sacred space but these days I find it hard to focus.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #6: February 22, 2008, 10:33:00 pm »

What a great idea!  I think I'll try that as an insomnia treatment.

That's why I started doing it.  I can't sleep in hospitals, and sleeping pills make we wake up with a headache.  I had a collapsed lung almost twenty years ago now and wound up in the hospital for three weeks (complications).  That long without proper sleep would have driven me insane, so I started doing the first couple steps of my meditations, just the 'getting there' part, and curling up in the grass to sleep.

It worked great, and I can sleep just about anywhere now physically because mentally I have my clearing.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 23, 2008, 01:19:36 am »

I'm sure this post might belong somewhere else, if it does I'm sorry. I'm still a newbie.

Me! Technically, three of them, which is really one to many (but that'll be easier soon.)

1) My personal one: it looks rather much like a 1600s manor house on the England/Wales border. Stone. Serious greenery in the back. I'm still exploring it, very slowly: it's like a large box of presents. (There are many interior doors I've never opened: I mostly spend time in 'my room' there, or in the main garden area, or two other areas.

My strong impression has been that it's the residence of my primary deities, or at least an analog of it.

2) My tradition's primary temple: this is used for group astral work, and as a touchstone for members of the tradition. It feels Greek/South Mediterranean to me, mostly (especially the quality of the light.)

3) The new shiny one: the new shared astral temple space for my brand new coven. Brand new to us as of a week ago, so we're still figuring out what it's like. This one feels more like Tuscany. It appears to have sheep somewhere in residence (both I and the other person involved are spinners, so we're not entirely surprised by this.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 23, 2008, 03:26:16 am »

I have a little free corner in my room, that I use for meditation and incense burning. But it's too tiny for a lot of other things I do and I would prefer a nature setting outside if I had a garden or even a balcony for my own.

So I often use several imagined nature settings like a forest, a cave, a river or a place in the mountains. It's not always easy to imagine them vividly, but I find they grow with practice.

I also have used a mental house once, but haven't explored that one much yet. I like it as a more secure and defined space than the natural settings are, though.

I've found a lot of these places just through day dreaming as a kid and teen, it helps a lot to just close your eyes and ask yourself: 'Where would I like to go at this moment.' Then if your fantazy comes up with any setting, you just explore ist. Well, as a warning, I need to say that several actions can alter your mind, if you for example jump into a tree hole or dive very deep into water. I'm not an expert here, though, just think you have to be carefully and know what you are doing.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: February 23, 2008, 04:06:49 am »

The terms I usually use are "Safe Place" or "personal Astral Space", though I've heard a number of other terms too.  I have several, that I use in ways much like you, Absent, and Jenett have described - one in particular is a "talking to deities" place, though others can serve that function too.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 23, 2008, 06:15:55 am »

I don't really do mental sacred space, unless of course you can call the simple fact I am meditating the creation of sacred space, I am simply not good enough at visualization. My physical space is (of all childish things) under my bed. The actual platform of my bed is lifted about 4 feet off the ground, one half of the space underneath is storage and one half contains a bean bag and my altar, it's my little sacred space. If need by I can close it off from the rest of my room and my roommate by making a curtain out of blankets (the refuge of my inner 3 year old).

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 23, 2008, 07:44:37 am »

The actual platform of my bed is lifted about 4 feet off the ground, one half of the space underneath is storage and one half contains a bean bag and my altar, it's my little sacred space. If need by I can close it off from the rest of my room and my roommate by making a curtain out of blankets (the refuge of my inner 3 year old).
Wow, that's a beautiful sacred space! I always wanted a high bed, but never had the money for it.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: February 23, 2008, 08:03:26 am »

I have a forest of stories.  Each tree is a story, and they're everywhere.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 23, 2008, 09:11:29 am »

I think I was reading a Ravenwolf book and she talked about Sacred Space in your mind. I've set up my own "garden."

My physical sacred space here in the city is my roof garden. Unfortunately, NYC's climate makes it unusable for about 5 months of the year. I think this idea of mental sacred space is great, and I'm going to try it, mentally replicating my roof garden as a retreat for those dreary winter months...like now.

My other sacred space is in the Catskills region of NY state: a huge waterfall near a friend's property. The two sacred spaces are linked, in that when I created the roof garden I tried to replicate the waterfall in small scale, with a little naturalistic fountain surrounded by stones borrowed from the Catskills waterfall.

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 23, 2008, 10:21:15 am »

Well, as a warning, I need to say that several actions can alter your mind, if you for example jump into a tree hole or dive very deep into water. I'm not an expert here, though, just think you have to be carefully and know what you are doing.

I seriously doubt that if you're just fantasizing and you do something like this you'll "alter your mind". Otherwise, we'd all be so cracked by now none of us would be able to function.

Now, if you do it on a spirit journey, with some sort of *intent* then yes, it can happen. But daydreaming? No.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)