The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 11, 2021, 05:24:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 11, 2021, 05:24:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sacred Space?  (Read 17235 times)
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #15: February 23, 2008, 10:34:11 am »

I was wondering if anyone else has Sacred Space like I do?

I have 2 places on my mind where I use to go, but I don't consider them "Sacred Space". The first one is a cliff with the sea below. I like to stand or sit there and just watch, hear and smell the sea. I recently discovered there's a forest nearby.

My other place is a cave on the countryside. There's also a near forest, but I never entered there and I don't feel like doing it. The cave is dark and deep, I haven't explored it completely yet. I feel very well on this cave, I think I must be a dwarf. lol Grin

Selegna.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

soulfire
Journeyman
Last Login:December 06, 2010, 02:51:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Practical Witch, Healer

Dance Anyway!

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #16: February 23, 2008, 01:53:07 pm »

Yep.  I have physical sacred space in my yard, but it used to be inaccessible for me a lot of the time because the path between shed and creek was too narrow and uneven for a wheelchair.  I can walk there now and do my thing physically, but I still keep my mental area swept up and usable.

I am currently in a w/c and so getting out is difficult.  I have altars in my house, but my mind is where I go most frequently.  I started my faith this way before my family was on the path.  When I feel the need I go inside to the temple within.  It's in a garden with large statues of Gods and Goddesses/symbols that I revere.  There is a waterfall, and candles and incense on the altar, which stands at the foot of a statue representing the Goddess.  All in all very nice.

I look forward to being able to walk out in my garden - set up to be also like a temple, but admitedly I will probably always feel more comfortable going within.  ~SF

**Please PRAY FOR ME.  I'm in the fight of my life right now. Thank you ~SF/K
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: February 23, 2008, 02:56:42 pm »

I'm sure this post might belong somewhere else, if it does I'm sorry. I'm still a newbie.
 I think I was reading a Ravenwolf book and she talked about Sacred Space in your mind. I've set up my own "garden."
No designated physical sacred space as of yet (although, like Dania, my room is physically and energetically completely different from the rest of my house). I do have an astral space, however. A big field with a stream running straight through it with a lone tree by the stream that I hang out at most of the time. There's mountains on three sides, and I suspect there is an ocean or lake beyond the one end (where the stream runs). I haven't been able to figure out what's on the fourth side yet.

I wish it wasn't so much of a field as a small clearing. lol. Oh well. I can't make it smaller. I'm thinking about building the perfect little witch cottage near the woods. Wink

I've also been to a place with red cliffs like out West. I climbed a teensy little trail and stayed in a small cave/overhang on the cliff... haven't been there in forever though.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #18: February 23, 2008, 03:46:56 pm »

Wow, that's a beautiful sacred space! I always wanted a high bed, but never had the money for it.

My niece had one that her mother and I made from plans we found in a wood working book.  Some wood, some bolts, some rope - it didn't work out all that expensive, and definitely cheaper than a bought bed.  Mind, we already had the power tools, and we were raised by a carpenter.

We made it sturdy enough that we could swing her desk and chair from the frame, and we made the ladder into stairs so that her dog could climb up and down on his own.  She used it from elementary school right up until she left for college, at which point she passed it along to a friend's child.

They're great for small bedrooms, but you do have to take the height of the ceiling into account. Cheesy

Absent
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 03:50:25 pm by Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED), Reason: homonym confusion » Logged

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: February 23, 2008, 05:16:44 pm »

Wow, that's a beautiful sacred space! I always wanted a high bed, but never had the money for it.

My college furnishes all of it's dorms with these beds. You can set them at a bunch of different heights from about half a foot or so to 3 feet from the ground. Not particularly high, but i can easily sit under there. I don't imagine they are very expensive either, a) our college bought them and b) they are only 3 simple parts. I wouldn't have a clue where to buy them though I am afraid, particularly in Germany.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #20: February 23, 2008, 05:19:10 pm »

I seriously doubt that if you're just fantasizing and you do something like this you'll "alter your mind". Otherwise, we'd all be so cracked by now none of us would be able to function.

Now, if you do it on a spirit journey, with some sort of *intent* then yes, it can happen. But daydreaming? No.
Okay, not if you strictly stay at daydreaming, sorry that I didn't manage to explain that better. I just thought I should mention it, because I experimented a bit around as teen and didn't always know what I was doing. Not implying that anyone at this forum is as stupid as I was of course.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #21: February 23, 2008, 05:24:16 pm »

My college furnishes all of it's dorms with these beds. You can set them at a bunch of different heights from about half a foot or so to 3 feet from the ground. Not particularly high, but i can easily sit under there. I don't imagine they are very expensive either, a) our college bought them and b) they are only 3 simple parts. I wouldn't have a clue where to buy them though I am afraid, particularly in Germany.
The dorm I'm living in is already furnished with normal beds. But I'll move out soon when I've finished my study and found a job (hopefully), so maybe I can buy a highbed this or next year! I must be careful not to forget that little childhood dream. Thanks for bringing it up and reminding me (even if that wasn't your intention). Wink

Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: February 23, 2008, 05:32:38 pm »

Thanks for bringing it up and reminding me (even if that wasn't your intention). Wink

You're welcome Wink .

By the way, what I tried and failed to explain in my last post is this.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: February 23, 2008, 06:20:35 pm »

The two sacred spaces are linked, in that when I created the roof garden I tried to replicate the waterfall in small scale, with a little naturalistic fountain surrounded by stones borrowed from the Catskills waterfall.

I wish I would have thought to keep the rocks I collected as a child from this nifty "hidden" pool in a small stream feeding the Frio River near where were used to camp a lot when I was a teen. It was a wonderful spot to go and just contemplate -- even if you did have to keep an eye out for the occasional cottonmouth water moccasin who might be using the pool first.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #24: February 23, 2008, 07:15:09 pm »

Okay, not if you strictly stay at daydreaming, sorry that I didn't manage to explain that better. I just thought I should mention it, because I experimented a bit around as teen and didn't always know what I was doing. Not implying that anyone at this forum is as stupid as I was of course.

It's not stupid, necessarily. There are a LOT of things that I have done which many would consider "stupid" or downright outrageous! LOL

I'm just saying that it wasn't as likely as you made it sound...otherwise we'd all be very cracked, myself included. Cheesy

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #25: February 24, 2008, 02:55:09 am »

It's not stupid, necessarily. There are a LOT of things that I have done which many would consider "stupid" or downright outrageous! LOL

I'm just saying that it wasn't as likely as you made it sound...otherwise we'd all be very cracked, myself included. Cheesy

When I was a teen imagining to jump into a water filled cave and dive until you feel weightless and your ears start ringing was just advanced daydreaming for me. A pity I can't do it as easy nowadays.

But hey, what makes you think we were not all cracked?  Tongue  Cheesy

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #26: February 24, 2008, 09:05:30 am »

When I was a teen imagining to jump into a water filled cave and dive until you feel weightless and your ears start ringing was just advanced daydreaming for me. A pity I can't do it as easy nowadays.

LOL that's completely normal for me.

But hey, what makes you think we were not all cracked?

I suppose there's a difference between "cracked" and "split wide open". *grins*

Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: February 25, 2008, 12:15:33 pm »

I think I was reading a Ravenwolf book and she talked about Sacred Space in your mind. I've set up my own "garden." I don't have physical Sacred Space because we don't have enought space and my husband is a different faith than I am.
 I go there when I try to meditate and whenever I can't sleep. I have a Grecian temple there (three of my deities are Greek) I also have Celtic and Norse themes there too. (as you can guess I have one God from the Celtic and one from the Norse Pantheons)

I've got a few, but they're hardly "mine". They're just places I sort of end up more often then others, if that makes any sense.

One is a vast desert, very rocky and reddish with cliffs and deep caves and chasms.
Then there was one that started as a wide grassland area and has since shrunk to more like a grassy clearing, surrounded by forest.

I had a den that I'd 'built' for the purpose, but using it just didn't stick with me.

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: February 26, 2008, 07:47:57 pm »

I work with a shared astral space (actually a couple, but one primarily.)  It includes some excellent ritual space - I'll do some rituals here and There at the same time (I call that coterminously).

Hannibal
Journeyman
Last Login:March 02, 2010, 01:58:41 pm

Religion: Kemetic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: February 27, 2008, 02:08:45 pm »

I'm sure this post might belong somewhere else, if it does I'm sorry. I'm still a newbie.
 I think I was reading a Ravenwolf book and she talked about Sacred Space in your mind. I've set up my own "garden." I don't have physical Sacred Space because we don't have enought space and my husband is a different faith than I am.
 I go there when I try to meditate and whenever I can't sleep. I have a Grecian temple there (three of my deities are Greek) I also have Celtic and Norse themes there too. (as you can guess I have one God from the Celtic and one from the Norse Pantheons)

Valkyriia

I'm like you Valkyriia I have no physical space so I just use the one corner of my mind thats not insane Roll Eyes. My space is a large forested mountain top. When I have trouble sleeping I usally go there to relax and it works very well.

-Hannibal

"Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas."-Emiliano Zapata Salazar. Translation-It is better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
 ego mos reperio a via vel ego mos planto unus Translation-I will find a way or I will make one
http://dragcave.net/user/Hannibal

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)