The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 07, 2022, 12:58:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2022, 12:58:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think Pagans are different in other ways than just religion?  (Read 6771 times)
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:June 19, 2022, 03:47:05 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: February 24, 2008, 01:36:50 pm »

1) Are there more individualistic people or people with unconventional life styles than in mainstream religions?

Depends on your context, I suspect.  And I know as many pagans who get really aggravated by people assuming that they're into $UNCONVENTIONAL as ones who actually are.  And while I've seen people cite statistics on various $UNCONVENTIONAL groups being heavily dominated by pagans, for those where I'm actually familiar with the population it's not true, and in one case the group that did the survey is the obnoxious new age wanker magazine, so I'm not surprised that their readership is dominated by pagans, and fluffy ones at that.

(Who, me, opinionated?)

There is a loose correlation I've seen between people who are mainstream-abnormal on one axis also being more likely to have at least evaluated whether they want to be mainstream-abnormal on other axes, which sometimes leads to things like group-A-weird being more likely to be group-B-weird or group-C-weird, but not always, and not in specific groups -- and non-pagan weirdos are just as likely to go through the same process.

2) Would you call a big part of it an alternative movement (not only in the religious aspect) or are most people just like other people and only different in regards to religion?

I get pissed off at people who refer to paganism as a movement.  As for the broader span of people who think that changes to their personal lives are going to revolutionise and change the world ... hah.  Their "movements" are just not that speshul.

3) Are there recognizeable types of Pagans in day to day life, for example through specific ways of dressing, social behaviour, housing etc.? 

No.

Well, there may be some, but I've never actually met any, and I'd expect them to be the sort of aggressively "You got a problem with me being a WITCH, bub" pushy that most people grow out of by the time they leave their teens.

4) Do you think that specific kinds of people are drawn to Paganism, like specific characters, social groups, occupations etc.?

No.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)