The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 12, 2021, 06:55:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 12, 2021, 06:55:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do pagans really believe in greek gods?  (Read 32802 times)
lauren6777
Last Login:February 28, 2008, 01:46:35 pm
United States United States

Religion: unknown

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 26, 2008, 09:40:19 am »

Do all pagans believe in the greek gods. I have been reading and studying about paganism, specifically wicca, and is really resonates with me. The greek gods are the one aspect that really confuses me. I am looking for an alternative to catholicism, not to replace one god for many gods. I get the whole goddess and god thing and yes it makes so much sense. But do pagan's really believe that Zeus is in the sky throwing lightning bolts- do they really believe that the seasons change based on a mother that misses her daughter? I first thought that these stories were just ideas or symbols to help focus your energy and intentions, which i could work with. BUT after reading "The outer temple of witchcraft", the author makes it very clear that he believes these gods are REAL.

Can someone explain?? Thanks!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: February 26, 2008, 09:48:30 am »

You will find many pagans that not only believe in the Greek Gods but also worship them (myself included).  Most of us don't take the myths as gospel truth.  What you described was how the Ancient Greeks understood the world.  Today, we know what causes the seasons to change but the Greeks would never guess it because of their world view.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #2: February 26, 2008, 09:49:03 am »

Do all pagans believe in the greek gods.

No, not all Pagans believe in the Greek gods.  Not all Pagans do much of anything.  However, many Pagans are hard polytheists.  That is to say, they believe that individual gods are truly individuals with personalities and plans of their own.  This doesn't mean that they literally believe all the myths about a given deity, in the same way that many Christians and Jews don't believe that Jonah literally spent 3 days in the belly of a whale.

Sperran
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: February 26, 2008, 09:56:11 am »

Do all pagans believe in the greek gods. I have been reading and studying about paganism, specifically wicca, and is really resonates with me. The greek gods are the one aspect that really confuses me. I am looking for an alternative to catholicism, not to replace one god for many gods. I get the whole goddess and god thing and yes it makes so much sense. But do pagan's really believe that Zeus is in the sky throwing lightning bolts- do they really believe that the seasons change based on a mother that misses her daughter? I first thought that these stories were just ideas or symbols to help focus your energy and intentions, which i could work with. BUT after reading "The outer temple of witchcraft", the author makes it very clear that he believes these gods are REAL.

I can speak only for myself here; ask ten Pagans and you'll probably get twelve answers.

I believe that the Greek Gods are real.  I don't, however, believe that the myths about them are meant to be taken literally.  They're teaching stories; they tell us a truth about the world around us and how we should relate to the Gods, but they aren't historical fact.  I believe in the existence of Zeus, Demeter and Persephone.  I also know that lightning is an atmospheric discharge of electricity and that the seasons change based on the earth's tilt and the amount of sunlight a given location is recieving at a particular time of the year.

All that said, there's nothing that says you have to believe this in order to be Pagan.  The word "Pagan" covers a lot of ground and a lot of different beliefs.  If the god/goddess model works better for you than a whole pantheon, I say stick with what works.  *shrug*

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Hannibal
Journeyman
Last Login:March 02, 2010, 01:58:41 pm

Religion: Kemetic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 26, 2008, 10:19:00 am »

I can only speak for myself. However I am pagan and don't worship the greek gods. Thats not to say I don't believe there is a possibility of them existing as well as my own gods/Goddess', I just don't pray to them. If you like the idea of both belivieing and worshipping them then go ahead I won't stop you. Best of luck on your path.

-Hannibal

"Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas."-Emiliano Zapata Salazar. Translation-It is better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
 ego mos reperio a via vel ego mos planto unus Translation-I will find a way or I will make one
http://dragcave.net/user/Hannibal
Keriander
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 25, 2010, 09:07:59 am
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Still searching

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 26, 2008, 01:04:13 pm »

..BUT after reading "The outer temple of witchcraft", the author makes it very clear that he believes these gods are REAL.

If you keep reading books about a subjects like paganism, you will see that often the author expresses HIS view on the subject. Don't assume every writer speaks for the whole "pagan community" (if there even is something called "The Pagan Community"). Determine for yourself what the greek gods mean to you, and decide for yourself: what do these myths tell me? Can I use them or are they worth something in my life? What do the symbols in the myth mean? Could there be a hidden message/lesson/etc in the myth? Etc.

Good luck on your search,

Keriander

"I will not fear or stray afar, for Brighid is my guiding star."
Autumns_Rose
Apprentice
Last Login:April 07, 2008, 08:07:27 am

Religion: wiccan/pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 26, 2008, 01:07:43 pm »

The word "Pagan" covers a lot of ground and a lot of different beliefs.  If the god/goddess model works better for you than a whole pantheon, I say stick with what works.  *shrug*

I agree...although I'm sure there are as many gods as there are stars in the sky -counting all the religions, cultures and nationalities...you need to do what works for you.

Right now I am the goddess/god believer. That may change as I grow -and it may not.
It makes sense, it works for me and besides that I get confused easily and there are just too darn many to research. LOL One persons opinion may not be necessarily mine -although if it works for them -great.

Autumns_Rose

I believe that your background may have an influence on who you are -but only you are responsible for who you become.
Droops
Apprentice
Last Login:April 15, 2010, 11:27:04 am

Religion: Eclectic Neo-pagan/Hellenismos

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 26, 2008, 01:48:42 pm »

Some of us do.  Some pagans have been called specifically by other gods, from multiple pantheons. 

I belong to an eclectic neo-pagan coven that is centered on the worship of the god and goddess.  I equate them with Ouranos and Ge, which are both part of the Greek pantheon.  I also am devoted to Dionysos, and have asked for (and received) support from other Greek gods.  But I would be happy to work with others in my group who are devoted to other gods. 

Different pagans have different levels of flexibility in how they practice their religious beliefs.  But for me, yes, the gods (from all over, even Yahweh) are real. 

Editor, Megaloi Theoi, a devotional to the Dioskouroi.

Please consider a submission to the devotional!

E-mail:  dioscuridevotional@gmail.com

More information at:  http://www.neosalexandria.org/dioskouroi_devotional.htm
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 26, 2008, 03:06:41 pm »

As a Catholic, did you believe *everything* in the Bible as hard cold fact? Chances are (especially if you're looking at other religions...), probably not.

It's much the same with pagans. And why wouldn't it be? We're not any more crazy than any other person. I think the majority of pagans would say that the myths are just myths. We can still gain a lot of insight into them about other things besides science, however!

And you will probably find that most pagans are more apt to believe that all gods are "real" and valid. Do I believe in the Greek gods? Yes. Do I worship them? Nope.

And don't be intimidated by all the wishy washy "most pagans but not all" or "I can only speak for myself" stuff. Paganism encompasses a WIDE range of beliefs, so you'll be hard pressed to find something that ALL pagans believe as a rule. Smiley

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #9: February 26, 2008, 03:19:19 pm »

As a Catholic, did you believe *everything* in the Bible as hard cold fact? Chances are (especially if you're looking at other religions...), probably not.

It's much the same with pagans.

Even more so, because unlike the Christian Bible, the myths are not presented as the Word of God.  They are not scriptures.  They are definitely stories about the Gods told by humans, as far as I'm aware.

And don't be intimidated by all the wishy washy "most pagans but not all" or "I can only speak for myself" stuff. Paganism encompasses a WIDE range of beliefs, so you'll be hard pressed to find something that ALL pagans believe as a rule. Smiley

I wasn't being wishy washy when I said that.  "Wishy washy" usually indicates not knowing where one stands, or an inability to choose a position and stick to it.  I know exactly where I stand and do not see myself doing otherwise in the future.  However, as you say, it's difficult (if not impossible) to find something that all Pagans believe, so I really can't answer for all Pagans and don't want to give the impression that I'm doing so.  It's not wishy washy, it's a statement of fact.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: February 26, 2008, 05:01:19 pm »

Many do, but certainly not all. Some Pagans are monotheists, some duotheists, some polytheists, some pantheists, some even atheists

But do pagan's really believe that Zeus is in the sky throwing lightning bolts- do they really believe that the seasons change based on a mother that misses her daughter?

I am a Hellenic Pagan (note: completely separate set of beliefs and practices from Wicca).  I believe in the Greek Gods, but I don't believe the myths about them are literally true. They can (and I believe do) contain truths about the relationship between humans and the Gods without being factual descriptions of history or science.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 27, 2008, 09:00:34 am »

No, not all the pagans believe in the greek gods, and not all the pagans who believe in them worship them. There are a lot of different pantheons (greek, norse, celtic, egiptian, etc.), and there are a lot of pagans that worship those deities. There's also a lot of pagans who worship some particular deities out of those pantheons. There are pagans that believe/worship only the God and Goddess, and there are pagans who don't worship any deities. It's all about what YOU believe. If you feel fine just worshipping the wiccan God and Goddess, then do it. Usually, those pagans who believe in a lot of different gods (hard polytheists) are not wiccan.

Selegna.

Hannibal
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 27, 2008, 10:18:20 am »

No, not all the pagans believe in the greek gods, and not all the pagans who believe in them worship them. There are a lot of different pantheons (greek, norse, celtic, egiptian, etc.), and there are a lot of pagans that worship those deities. There's also a lot of pagans who worship some particular deities out of those pantheons. There are pagans that believe/worship only the God and Goddess, and there are pagans who don't worship any deities. It's all about what YOU believe. If you feel fine just worshipping the wiccan God and Goddess, then do it. Usually, those pagans who believe in a lot of different gods (hard polytheists) are not wiccan.

Selegna.

You misspelled egyptian. Never a wrong time for a spelling lesson.

-Hannibal

"Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas."-Emiliano Zapata Salazar. Translation-It is better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
 ego mos reperio a via vel ego mos planto unus Translation-I will find a way or I will make one
Hannibal
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 27, 2008, 10:21:59 am »

We're not any more crazy than any other person.

Actuallly, I probablly am a tad crazier than the next guy in line. Grin I enjoy my insanity.  Grin Grin

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: February 27, 2008, 10:23:15 am »

You misspelled egyptian. Never a wrong time for a spelling lesson.

-Hannibal

Hannibal, we don't comment on someone's spelling unless it's so egregious that it's impossible to tell what the original word was.  Please go re-read the rules.  Thank you.

HeartShadow - Cauldron Staff.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)