The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2021, 10:20:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 10:20:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do pagans really believe in greek gods?  (Read 33695 times)
serpentrose
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 19, 2011, 05:51:20 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Serpent Caller

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: March 18, 2008, 09:38:05 am »

Many Pagans are true polytheists, however, and believe the Gods are mostly independent entities.
It's hard not to be when the gods talk to you directly Undecided (And one of them likes to laugh at your daughter.)

There's honestly a large part of me that would like to view the gods as archetypes and primitive explanations- but to do that I would need to deny my experiences of the Ultimate Divine and its representatives.

Give from the heart
Own your decisions
Defy false desires
Deserve your own love
Embrace what is different
Seek what is true
Serve from the heart, or serve not at all

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

EmeraldRose
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 26, 2009, 08:52:23 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: March 18, 2008, 12:15:36 pm »

Do all pagans believe in the greek gods. I have been reading and studying about paganism, specifically wicca, and is really resonates with me. The greek gods are the one aspect that really confuses me. I am looking for an alternative to catholicism, not to replace one god for many gods. I get the whole goddess and god thing and yes it makes so much sense. But do pagan's really believe that Zeus is in the sky throwing lightning bolts- do they really believe that the seasons change based on a mother that misses her daughter? I first thought that these stories were just ideas or symbols to help focus your energy and intentions, which i could work with. BUT after reading "The outer temple of witchcraft", the author makes it very clear that he believes these gods are REAL.

Can someone explain?? Thanks!
When I first left my presbyterian upbringing, I searched many paths (Judaism, zen buddhism, wicca, etc). I settled on calling myself a pagan. At first, I was confused about all the gods and goddesses too. I read as much as I could about each pantheon and tried to find the one that resonated the most with me. I thought it would have to be celtic or teutonic since that is my heredity, but I found the greek gods to be the most resonate.  I also thought (incorrectly) that they had to be consorts of each other (ie Hera and Zeus), but it does not work that way, for me.  Selene immediately became the Goddess that wanted to work with me, and then I floated along for a while before Apollo scooped me up. I, personally, don't feel I am worshipping them. I feel that I am working with them and honoring them, in a way, and they are just representations of divine energy. However you can define, or if you even want to define it, follow the divine energy. You might still call it God. You might divide it into God and Goddess. As for myself, I do not believe the myths per se. I believe they are representations of key elements to Grecian life back in the day. You can also tell a lot about a particular deity's personality by the plethora (or lack thereof) of stories and how they are told.
I hope that was a little helpful.
EmeraldRose
zeus0
Last Login:March 29, 2008, 07:31:43 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: March 28, 2008, 01:02:49 pm »

Do all pagans believe in the greek gods. I have been reading and studying about paganism, specifically wicca, and is really resonates with me. The greek gods are the one aspect that really confuses me. I am looking for an alternative to catholicism, not to replace one god for many gods. I get the whole goddess and god thing and yes it makes so much sense. But do pagan's really believe that Zeus is in the sky throwing lightning bolts- do they really believe that the seasons change based on a mother that misses her daughter? I first thought that these stories were just ideas or symbols to help focus your energy and intentions, which i could work with. BUT after reading "The outer temple of witchcraft", the author makes it very clear that he believes these gods are REAL.

Well, this Pagan does. I believe in Zeus and worship him and Gaia. but not all Pagans do this though.

do I believe that Zeus is real? yes...but thats me Smiley

I also believe in many gods and goddesses.

Blissed Be to all!!!!!!!!!
Whiterabbit
Apprentice
Last Login:April 14, 2008, 07:19:18 pm
Sweden Sweden

Religion: Cottage/Green/Hedgewitch-mix

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: April 01, 2008, 06:07:16 pm »

Do all pagans believe in the greek gods.

I like so many others, can only speak for myself.
I don't "believe" in Gods or Goddesses (though I sometimes wish I did). I see them as psychological "parts" of what makes up the whole human experience. I never pray or worship them, I would rather like to think I activate or de-activate their energies, within my limited understanding of "everything" and myself. For me, that is as close to worship I will ever get. I can easily imagine they activating or de-activating me, like if I'm hearing a special call or being chosen, but I still think its all happening in my mind/soul/body-sphere, not in the blue somewhere else. Makes sense? To me the God and the Goddess, Lord and Lady, is about everything there is. Life is sacred in all its aspects. But I don't believe in Gods more than I believe in hats or frying pans. It is all part of something.
(and whenever I try to explain this I realize its a very personal and enigmatic experience that cant be explained so easily. I suppose thats why its called "the mysteries" after all...)

jholl9
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 07, 2008, 05:27:55 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: April 04, 2008, 02:21:05 am »

i read up a ton about the Greek gods and goddesses, and there are many reasons in the myths why they don't throw a lighnting bolt down to hit the school bully for you. the best and probly the easiest to understand reason is this: if we relied on the gods and goddesses too much, when it came time to defend ourselves, what would happen? ill tell ya what would happen: WE'D ALL DIE!!!!!

so yah, i believe in them, occasional little prayers to them, but i worship the Goddess mainly.

If you're reading this, it means you at least half-heartedly care, and for that, i am more grateful than you can imagine.

There is life, for nature's sake. There is nature, for nature's sake. There is beauty, for nature's sake. There is death, for nature's sake.
jholl9
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 07, 2008, 05:27:55 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: April 04, 2008, 09:25:09 am »

if we relied on the gods and goddesses too much, when it came time to defend ourselves, what would happen? ill tell ya what would happen: WE'D ALL DIE!!!!!

maybe i should rephrase that....if you rely on something so much, what happens when it refuses to help you or it goes away? (i know the gods and goddesses dont go away, but the might stop helping you) so yah, now think about it, you can't just rely on the gods and goddesses to solve all your problems, so that isn't why a ton of people worship or believe in them. i believe in them because they actually seem REAL.

There is life, for nature's sake. There is nature, for nature's sake. There is beauty, for nature's sake. There is death, for nature's sake.
Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #36: April 04, 2008, 11:13:16 am »

I can tell you that I do not believe in the Greek Gods, but in general I think the answer would be no.  This really is a topic that only one can speak for oneself on as others have said.  As I tell my wife who Wiccan be careful what names you put to your god and goddess or you will upset someone, and in her case it was me. 

tjarna-ki
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 14, 2008, 05:19:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: April 12, 2008, 10:27:25 pm »

I can speak only for myself here; ask ten Pagans and you'll probably get twelve answers.

All that said, there's nothing that says you have to believe this in order to be Pagan.  The word "Pagan" covers a lot of ground and a lot of different beliefs.  If the god/goddess model works better for you than a whole pantheon, I say stick with what works.  *shrug*

Only twelve?  Don't forget to double the number for any of the Gemini respondents, and then quadruple it for the Pisces respondents.... Tongue

While some will disagree with this, my personal feeling is that something will sing to you when you're ready to hear it, and whatever form or whomever it is that chooses to sing to you, well, who doesn't like being serenaded? 

But do pagan's really believe that Zeus is in the sky throwing lightning bolts- do they really believe that the seasons change based on a mother that misses her daughter? I first thought that these stories were just ideas or symbols to help focus your energy and intentions, which i could work with.

I know everyone has covered this in depth, and I want to add another perspective.  Not to humanize to any ridiculous degree, but think back to some incredibly embarrassing or weird moment in your life (junior high and high school work great for this exercise) and then think about how that appeared to everyone else.  Then think about what they told their best friend on the phone that night.  Then think about what their best friend's little brother overheard.  Now then, if the little brother grew up, had daughters, and one of them wrote down in their diary that they heard a great story from dad today about this old friend of his who actually lit an entire lab table on fire with her eyes on her first day in chem class.... wouldn't you want to stop and think if maybe she just knocked the stupid alcohol burner over with her sleeve? 

There's also a link in http://www.ecauldron.com/newpagan.php that I can't seem to get to that's supposed to detail how to get more out of various pagan books by reading critically.  Perhaps an experienced member could suggest a link that works?  I'm getting forbidden 401 pages. 

Smiley
tj

"If something is worth doing, it's worth doing slowly... very slowly."
-Gypsy Rose Lee
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #38: April 13, 2008, 07:26:00 am »

There's also a link in http://www.ecauldron.com/newpagan.php that I can't seem to get to that's supposed to detail how to get more out of various pagan books by reading critically.  Perhaps an experienced member could suggest a link that works?  I'm getting forbidden 401 pages. 

Hrm.  Looks like it's a link to an essay offsite (and I should know whose site that is, but I'm not quite awake and can't quite remember); I'm thinking the essay (or possibly the entire site) has been either moved or removed and we didn't get notified of the new address so we could update our link.

Paging limen.gleewood.org?  Anyone know where it might have got off to?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #39: April 13, 2008, 08:06:37 am »

Paging limen.gleewood.org?  Anyone know where it might have got off to?

It's Jenett's site and her article or critial reading -- but I can't find it anywhere on her site. I know she's moved things around. Hopefully she will see this and tell us where it got to.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #40: April 13, 2008, 10:05:21 am »

It's Jenett's site and her article or critial reading -- but I can't find it anywhere on her site. I know she's moved things around. Hopefully she will see this and tell us where it got to.

It is indeed mine, and I did have some moving around stuff and never got it reposted. (Also, I keep thinking about revisions.)

It's now reposted at http://gleewood.org/threshold/pages/critical-reading/

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: April 13, 2008, 10:17:19 am »

Thank you, Jenett!  I'll go fix our link to point to the new page now.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
tjarna-ki
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 14, 2008, 05:19:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: April 13, 2008, 12:26:28 pm »

Side note: I'm a dink and it's 403 forbidden pages- clearly late night posting and I don't mix.  But I'm still getting the forbidden pages error messages... my issue, or is anyone else unable to get to the page as well?

tj

"If something is worth doing, it's worth doing slowly... very slowly."
-Gypsy Rose Lee
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #43: April 13, 2008, 12:49:17 pm »

Side note: I'm a dink and it's 403 forbidden pages- clearly late night posting and I don't mix.  But I'm still getting the forbidden pages error messages... my issue, or is anyone else unable to get to the page as well?

tj

Did you follow the link from Jenett's post, or go back to the Pagan Primer and try again?  If you went back to the Primer, you might have just gotten to it before Randall got the link fixed.  If you clicked on Jenett's link, though, it's working just fine for me now...  Maybe clear your cache and restart your browser?  (I don't know that it'll help, but it can't hurt.)

Something interesting here, though, is that the old address wasn't giving me a 403, it was giving me a plain old 404 (page not found).  So I wonder if there could be something set up oddly on your computer, or your network, or even at your ISP?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #44: April 13, 2008, 05:08:09 pm »

It's a totally different page address from the original: I agree with Star, maybe it's some weird quirk of your browser.

One other option you can try:

Go to http://gleewood.org/threshold
(the main blog site)
Click on 'Pages' at the tabs at the top. (They sometimes work a little weirdly, but are clickable, I promise).

There's a list of linked pages there (ok, 2 right now). The first one is the Critical Reading and Pagan Books one.

If that totally fails, I'm glad to email the text, too.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)