The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 01, 2021, 09:04:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2021, 09:04:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Most annoying TV shows  (Read 18147 times)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: February 27, 2008, 03:05:30 pm »

I get the feeling some network executive somewhere wrote a memo that honesty, honor and loyalty don't sell. Or that they're unrealistic (which point of view would send me looking for a baseball bat).

Of course they don't sell.  Honesty, honor and loyalty are not entertaining.  If I saw a show like that without any backstabbing or anything similar to balance it out then I would start looking for the remote.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Lorrie Indigo
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 03, 2008, 11:30:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: February 27, 2008, 03:15:55 pm »

The thread about the most annoying TV personalities started me thinking about TV shows.

What's the most annoying TV shows in your life?

I don't get these annoying kind of threads. If it annoys people, why watch it?

I only watch TV shows, films, etc. that I like, so anything else can't annoy me. Regarding films, I read enough reviews to get an idea of whether or not it's good for my taste, so at worst, the film is just so-so when I see it.

TV shows, I just watch 5 minutes to know whether or not I like it and turn away and never watch it again, but it doesn't bother me that it's on the air. There are plenty of things to see on TV and of course everyone doesn't like what I like so there will be A LOT of stuff on TV that I would hate to watch, but fine. I simply watch what I like.

Unless if you're being forced somehow to watch something, I don't see how it would annoy a person.

What I'd love to see is a company where I could create my own channel package to only have the channels I want. I don't like paying for channels that I don't watch in my package. Now, that annoys me. And the channels I do like, they rarely have shows that I dislike, so I'm not concerned about that.
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #17: February 27, 2008, 05:02:21 pm »

I'll see your football and raise you a Nascar.  At least no one in my house watches it, though; it just pre-empts the things we do want to watch. 

Are you sure you are allowed to live in Indiana and not watch Nascar?  Smiley

Sperran
Wanderer894
Master Member
Last Login:April 07, 2011, 10:47:22 pm

Religion: The Way of the Dragonfly/Ignostic Pagan Humanist
TCN ID: Wanderer894

another day, another round of "WTF?"

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #18: February 27, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »

I only watch TV shows, films, etc. that I like, so anything else can't annoy me. Regarding films, I read enough reviews to get an idea of whether or not it's good for my taste, so at worst, the film is just so-so when I see it.

TV shows, I just watch 5 minutes to know whether or not I like it and turn away and never watch it again, but it doesn't bother me that it's on the air. There are plenty of things to see on TV and of course everyone doesn't like what I like so there will be A LOT of stuff on TV that I would hate to watch, but fine. I simply watch what I like.

Unless if you're being forced somehow to watch something, I don't see how it would annoy a person.

What I'd love to see is a company where I could create my own channel package to only have the channels I want. I don't like paying for channels that I don't watch in my package. Now, that annoys me. And the channels I do like, they rarely have shows that I dislike, so I'm not concerned about that.

My roommate sophomore year watched both sitcoms I mentioned in my post.  I kept my headphones on when either one was playing on the TV, but that wasn't enough to always drown out the snatches of audio I heard.  I didn't want to risk my hearing to avoid those shows. One year of exposure was enough for me. Tongue

As to the company setup you mentioned, if only . . . if only . . .  Undecided

Rituals do not make Life; Life is what you consider the most important, and the most fun.
Just another hapless human trying to figure out what the frell makes this world tick, and how to avoid the idiots who make my head hurt
Stop the war, impeach the war criminals.

Bored much? My Blog: Gray Reverie
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: February 27, 2008, 06:10:13 pm »

I don't watch the shows I mentioned anymore.  I had to watch them when I lived with my parents though.

My Spiritual Blog
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: February 27, 2008, 09:32:00 pm »

I don't watch the shows that drive me up a wall.

Ads for both Ugly Betty and Desperate Housewives I watch simply because I watch other shows that are on the same channel. Football and the news I try to tune out but they end up crammed down my throat anyway because my mother's partner has to watch them both.  Paid advertisements I only run across when I'm channel flipping to find something worth watching.

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #21: February 28, 2008, 05:36:29 am »

I don't.  That doesn't mean I'm never exposed to it, though.  A few minutes of something might play before I have a chance to get to the remote and change the channel; someone else might have it on while I'm at their house; it might be on in a waiting room somewhere; I might see a commercial for it because I'm watching something on the same channel.  There are lots of ways one can be annoyed by a TV show without actually sitting down to watch it.

Also, to clarify a little, it doesn't bother me that these shows are on the air.  (My comment about Spongebob wasn't so much "this show shouldn't be on the air" as it was a hope of being able to continue avoiding it when my daughter gets to the age where she might want to watch it.)  Just because they annoy me doesn't mean they've got no right to be on.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Maggie
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 12, 2012, 04:18:49 pm

Religion: ADF Style Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: February 28, 2008, 03:59:18 pm »

The thread about the most annoying TV personalities started me thinking about TV shows.

My teenage daughter records quite a few shows I find annoying.  Number one right now is Viva La Bam from MTV.  I erase all episodes from the DVR if I see them recorded.  He is just so mean to everyone around him.  If he were my child...

The only redeeming quality I found was that I could use it as a reason to talk to my daughter about how to treat other people or not. 

I love Survivor-It's so interesting to me to see how people interact.  Also SpongeBob. I do have a soft spot for lovable little yellow sponge.

Maggie

"Few things are needful to make the wise man happy, but nothing satisfies the fool---and this is the reason why so many of mankind are miserable."                 
                                                       LaRochefoucauld
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 29, 2008, 04:23:52 pm »

Of course they don't sell.  Honesty, honor and loyalty are not entertaining.  If I saw a show like that without any backstabbing or anything similar to balance it out then I would start looking for the remote.

Used to be only villains did the backstabbing. These days I can't tell who I'm supposed to throw my tomatoes at.  Sad
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #24: February 29, 2008, 04:53:21 pm »

right now?  Higglytown Heroes.  Guess what's on?  *sigh*  But Darius becomes a happy loveable child if he watches a little TV after he first wakes up, and is a MONSTER if he doesn't.  I can live.

Mwahahahahahahahaha!!!
Looks like it's tiiiiiime for a higglytown hee-ro...

Annoying kid/ toddler shows could be a whole topic in and unto itself.

From the last few years...

Backyardigans.  (I hate hate hate the singing with no real 'tunefulness' or lyricism.  Makes me nuts)

Wonderpets are ehhhhh so so.  I can tolerate them, but the repetitive nature makes it a tough call.  The phooone... the phone is ringing...  what's gonna work... teeeeeeam-work...

Bob the Builder.  Primarily because Wendy is so wishy washy, and they have neurotic equipment.

The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy (my oldest loves this one.  I think it started the skull fetish for him)

Ed/Edd/Eddie  This show needs to DIE.  like DIEDIEDIEDIEDIE.  They do so many brainless DANGEROUS things on this show.  It is a public hazard.

Drake and Josh, Zoey 101, Hannah Montana, there is no need for 11 year olds to have soap operas.  They are just too dramatic and too fixated on hooking up with each other and never seem to do anything productive except tell kids who are in the 'wow 5th graders are SO grown up' phases that big kids kiss girls. (boys... whichever...)

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: February 29, 2008, 05:25:45 pm »

The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy (my oldest loves this one.  I think it started the skull fetish for him)

A cartoon version of the Grim Reaper that speaks in a Jamaican accent.  What's not to like?

My Spiritual Blog
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: February 29, 2008, 05:27:51 pm »

A cartoon version of the Grim Reaper that speaks in a Jamaican accent.  What's not to like?

and the brains song!

gods, I loved that episode.  I had to buy a Voltaire CD to hear that song over and over.  (and there's other good stuff too).

brains, brains, it's okay!  it's not a matter if it isn't gray!  and if at first they think it's strange, they won't give it a thought, after I've eaten their brains!

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #27: February 29, 2008, 05:58:57 pm »

and the brains song!

gods, I loved that episode.  I had to buy a Voltaire CD to hear that song over and over.  (and there's other good stuff too).

brains, brains, it's okay!  it's not a matter if it isn't gray!  and if at first they think it's strange, they won't give it a thought, after I've eaten their brains!

Yep, one of the best cartoon collaborations ever.  I don't care how many times I've seen it, the world stops whenever they reshow that episode.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: February 29, 2008, 06:04:14 pm »

Yep, one of the best cartoon collaborations ever.  I don't care how many times I've seen it, the world stops whenever they reshow that episode.

abso-friggen-lutely.

I was so sad when they pulled that clip off their website.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: February 29, 2008, 09:55:22 pm »

Fox's Moment of Truth.

I happened to catch the tail end of an episode while I waited for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles to come one (the best SF on TV, at least until Battlestar Galactica comes back).

A woman humiliates her newlywed husband in front of millions for money. The audience cheers her on, Jerry Springer-style. The host solemnly mouths how he really thinks she shouldn't be doing this and some truths should remain unspoken. (Then why the hell are you hosting this show, you disingenuous turd?) Having goaded this woman into destroying her new family, with sad eyes he sensitively wishes them his heartfelt best in picking up the pieces.

Oh, and she didn't win a dime.

I wanted to vomit.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)