The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 06, 2021, 10:15:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 06, 2021, 10:15:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Most annoying TV shows  (Read 18837 times)
Armagh444
Journeyman
Last Login:July 09, 2010, 07:16:15 pm
United States United States

Religion: Celtic Pagan Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: February 29, 2008, 10:22:23 pm »

The thread about the most annoying TV personalities started me thinking about TV shows.

What's the most annoying TV shows in your life?

Smallville.  My husband and daughter both love the show, so I am stuck watching it if I am home.  Boring, badly acted, angsty schlock!

Wonderpets.  A particular addiction of the Buddha Boy's and something which I think was purposely designed to make adults crazy.

Modern Marvels and How It's Made.  Both fascinate my husband and bore the crap out of me.

And last, but certainly not least, Viva Pinata.  My kids watch it every Saturday morning.  It makes me want to throw the television across the living room.  Thankfully, the darn thing is too heavy.

Three things from which never to be moved: one's Oaths, one's Gods, and the Truth. The three highest causes of the true human are: Truth, Honor, and Duty. Three candles that illuminate every darkness: Truth, Nature, and Knowledge.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #31: February 29, 2008, 10:38:46 pm »

Modern Marvels and How It's Made.  Both fascinate my husband and bore the crap out of me.

Modern Marvels: the only show on the History Channel that is only on my TV if in between two more interesting shows.

I don't watch Discovery much during the day so I really don't watch it, but yes it is annoying.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: March 01, 2008, 02:05:48 am »

I don't have television reception.  Tee hee.  Wink

Brina
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #33: March 01, 2008, 08:54:08 am »

A cartoon version of the Grim Reaper that speaks in a Jamaican accent.  What's not to like?

When your kid starts telling people he's come to reap their immortal souls...  Draws santa with a scythe... is asked to write a story in class and writes about the underworld - even though the assignment was to write about a fish.  When this is pointed out, said child resurrects the grim reaper as a fish...  Tells his brother that he hates his little girlfriend too...  thinks he's absoloutely hilarious while doing this making any disciplinary action an exercise in futility, since said child is cackling too loudly to hear you over his sense of humor...

oh man.  The list goes on.  My only comfort is that it's contagious.  We've got all the boys in his class drawing scythes that shoot flame, and ghosts coming out of stick figures with XX'es for eyes.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #34: March 01, 2008, 08:59:17 am »

and the brains song!

gods, I loved that episode.  I had to buy a Voltaire CD to hear that song over and over.  (and there's other good stuff too).

brains, brains, it's okay!  it's not a matter if it isn't gray!  and if at first they think it's strange, they won't give it a thought, after I've eaten their brains!

Here is a specific from the trenches reason Billy and Mandy are massively child warping.

I took B to get his shots to get into Kindergarten.  We were a bit behind since I have a massive cringe about putting as many vaccinations as possible in one pop into someone who per pound has less immune system that an older kid would.  Anyways. 

B's sitting on the table, and the Dr comes at him with the needle and he starts SCREAMING - believably even-

"NOOOOOOO; YOU'RE STEALING MY SOUL!  HE'S GONNA TAKE MY SOUUUUUL!!!!!"

Needless to say they gave us some very strange looks.

-LIz Pahir
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: March 03, 2008, 07:35:47 pm »

When your kid starts telling people he's come to reap their immortal souls...  Draws santa with a scythe... is asked to write a story in class and writes about the underworld - even though the assignment was to write about a fish.  When this is pointed out, said child resurrects the grim reaper as a fish...  Tells his brother that he hates his little girlfriend too...  thinks he's absoloutely hilarious while doing this making any disciplinary action an exercise in futility, since said child is cackling too loudly to hear you over his sense of humor...

Here is a specific from the trenches reason Billy and Mandy are massively child warping.

I took B to get his shots to get into Kindergarten. <snip>
B's sitting on the table, and the Dr comes at him with the needle and he starts SCREAMING - believably even-

"NOOOOOOO; YOU'RE STEALING MY SOUL!  HE'S GONNA TAKE MY SOUUUUUL!!!!!"

Needless to say they gave us some very strange looks.

See, maybe it's because I do not now, nor will I ever, have kids, but I think it's pretty damn funny.  Cheesy  If my future nieces/nephews do that kinda thing, I will laugh my ass off.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #36: March 03, 2008, 07:39:49 pm »

See, maybe it's because I do not now, nor will I ever, have kids, but I think it's pretty damn funny.  Cheesy  If my future nieces/nephews do that kinda thing, I will laugh my ass off.

You and me both Cheesy

In the small chance I do have a kid, it will more than likely turn out doing those things simply because I'm the brat's father Cheesy

My Spiritual Blog
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #37: March 03, 2008, 08:17:28 pm »

maybe because it is my kid and I'm inundated by the stupidity 24/7 I find it pretty annoying. 

Explaining this stuff to teachers is not fun.  Trying to normalize it to other parents - who most are a generation ahead of me (mid/late thirties early 40's) and who don't get why it's 'okay' for a kid to run up and down the halls at school screaming 'die kenny die!!!' can land one in some rather uncomfortable parent teacher conferences.

No worse than High Shool Musical though.  We had a little girl trying to kiss bubba for the first three months of school because of that one.

The itchy and scratchy portion of the simpsons becomes a potential nightmare scene every time when you think about what would happen if your 3yo copied anything they saw.

Kids will find the worst sound byte of a TV show, and then remember it at the worst possible time. 

Bubba at one point for some reason decided there was a dead mouse under the floor in my husbands new bosses office the day that we were meeting him for the first time.  He proceeds to wander around the office telling the mouse to die.  Meanwhile I'm trying to keep boom from getting into the candy dish, the antique phones and the glass planes on the guys desk.  Out of the corner of my ear I hear "die mouse... DIE" (mostly because he was bored and no one was talking about him... so he decided to turn the subject) unfortunately I heard him at the same time everyone else did.   I'm still trying to figure out where he got that one from.

Juuuuuuust the impression you want to leave.

All the same, if it were someone elses kid, I would probably laugh in that better you than me way.

-LIz Pahir
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: March 03, 2008, 10:00:09 pm »

maybe because it is my kid and I'm inundated by the stupidity 24/7 I find it pretty annoying. 

That could be part of it.  Grin

Explaining this stuff to teachers is not fun.  Trying to normalize it to other parents - who most are a generation ahead of me (mid/late thirties early 40's) and who don't get why it's 'okay' for a kid to run up and down the halls at school screaming 'die kenny die!!!' can land one in some rather uncomfortable parent teacher conferences.

Like, he does this during school hours, after school, or when you and your husband are there?

The itchy and scratchy portion of the simpsons becomes a potential nightmare scene every time when you think about what would happen if your 3yo copied anything they saw.

Yes, but so would Looney Tunes, and yet I've never met anyone who had reservations about letting their kids watch that. 

Bubba at one point for some reason decided there was a dead mouse under the floor in my husbands new bosses office the day that we were meeting him for the first time.  He proceeds to wander around the office telling the mouse to die.  Meanwhile I'm trying to keep boom from getting into the candy dish, the antique phones and the glass planes on the guys desk.  Out of the corner of my ear I hear "die mouse... DIE" (mostly because he was bored and no one was talking about him... so he decided to turn the subject) unfortunately I heard him at the same time everyone else did.   I'm still trying to figure out where he got that one from.

And see, what would piss me off about that, were I in your shoes, wouldn't be so much what they were saying as the fact that they were misbehaving in public.  Singing the brain song, I would laugh, and probably sing along, truth be known; screaming the brain song in the middle of the grocery store or something, OTOH, would merit some real punishment.  Because I know I hate being subjected to other people's kids squalling in public.  I know what I'm thinking when I look at those kids; I'll be damned if any little creep of mine is gonna be an embarrassment (I think I just have a different idea of what constitutes unacceptable and embarrassing).

If you handle it right, I think most people will laugh, or at least not be too weirded out.

All the same, if it were someone elses kid, I would probably laugh in that better you than me way.

I just genuinely think it's funny, not in a better you than me way.   For the soul-stealing doctor thing, I might even overlook the being rude to an adult and less-than-stellar public behavior.  Cheesy

Probably another reason I should never have kids; you probably shouldn't encourage that kinda thing.  Grin

~~~Pyperlie<^>

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #39: March 03, 2008, 10:59:10 pm »

What I'd love to see is a company where I could create my own channel package to only have the channels I want. I don't like paying for channels that I don't watch in my package.

I think that is what netflix and tivo are for.
We just instituted new tv rules (in part b/c it turns out that tv is really pretty bad for anxiety in children, even fairly bland kid tv) and now we are doing about half an hour a day, as opposed to two. So far so good. I agree that watching tv you don't like don't make no sense, but I know a lot of people seem to enjoy that. I will say that I have watched *all the Jane Austens on Masterpiece Theater, even though Persuasion and that awful Jane Austen bio sucked really bad, and I've seen Pride and Prejudice a zillion times already.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Wanderer894
Master Member
Last Login:April 07, 2011, 10:47:22 pm

Religion: The Way of the Dragonfly/Ignostic Pagan Humanist
TCN ID: Wanderer894

another day, another round of "WTF?"

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #40: March 03, 2008, 11:49:24 pm »

As much as I enjoy the "Kenny dies" gags, I can see why a kid yelling that line at school would raise eyebrows and tempers.

No worse than High Shool Musical though.  We had a little girl trying to kiss bubba for the first three months of school because of that one.

Ugh my cousin E loved that.  And I'll wager she now has a crush on Zach Efron too.  That show nearly cost me half my IQ - sitting through that was like being forced to watch grass grow while enduring Chinese water torture.

Kids will find the worst sound byte of a TV show, and then remember it at the worst possible time.

Why is it always the worst? Why isn't it ever a good soundbyte, or one that has meaning other than "Say this and watch your parents die of humiliation"?

Bubba at one point for some reason decided there was a dead mouse under the floor in my husbands new bosses office the day that we were meeting him for the first time........

Er, I'm not sure you'd really WANT to know where he got that from.

BTW, Grimm rules.

Rituals do not make Life; Life is what you consider the most important, and the most fun.
Just another hapless human trying to figure out what the frell makes this world tick, and how to avoid the idiots who make my head hurt
Stop the war, impeach the war criminals.

Bored much? My Blog: Gray Reverie
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #41: March 04, 2008, 09:47:09 am »

Like, he does this during school hours, after school, or when you and your husband are there?

Yup.  At school, directly in front of teachers, peers, whatever. Whenever. 

Yes, but so would Looney Tunes, and yet I've never met anyone who had reservations about letting their kids watch that.

Tom and Jerry have been absoloutely off limits in our house.  You never realize how ridiculously violent and stupid these shows are till you hear your kid who thinks he's absoloutely funny threatening to stuff someone in the microwave. 

Because most of the stuff on looney toons are situations that kids wouldn't have access to, they're a bit safer.  How many kids have bear traps in their homes?  Not many.  If they did, that would point out a whole nother set of issues.

The looney tunes sketch with the three bears when you have kids is demented.  There's an Archie Bunker-esque father bear beating the unintelligent son bear with a baseball bat while the mom looks on lethargically.  Oh yeah.  Great viewing.

Then you get some broad in the media who actually DID stuff her kid in the microwave and you have a kid with absoloutely no understanding making comments that squick people to the very roots of their being; and who has no understanding of the looks of shock and horror - but they do know they're getting attention for it.  So they repeat it, thinking they must have told the joke wrong, and that why people didn't laugh.

Mommy wasn't it funny when the little guy put the smaller guy in the microwave and he went sizzle sizzle pop! and you see the pregnant lady ahead of you in line choke on her gum.

And see, what would piss me off about that, were I in your shoes, wouldn't be so much what they were saying as the fact that they were misbehaving in public.  Singing the brain song, I would laugh, and probably sing along, truth be known; screaming the brain song in the middle of the grocery store or something, OTOH, would merit some real punishment.  Because I know I hate being subjected to other people's kids squalling in public.  I know what I'm thinking when I look at those kids; I'll be damned if any little creep of mine is gonna be an embarrassment (I think I just have a different idea of what constitutes unacceptable and embarrassing).

That's the more frustrating part of it.  They don't need to scream it to count as misbehaving.  A kid who's 'screaming in public' usually isn't coherent or in control enough to be annoying other than as a noise barrier.  It says nothing about the mental/ developmental health of the child outside of 'yup, normal kid having a fit'  That's just par for the course. 

Whether they sing it or scream it, (and most kids wouldn't- although those without kids might be tempted to mistake a kids singing voice for their outdoor voice) it's still a walking advertisement that your kid has been sitting in front of a box that makes abstract violence humorous at an age where they don't understand abstract humor, and they are parroting something they don't understand, and most explanations are a few stories over their heads at this point. 

That a 'concept' of someone being so incredibly stupid is funny to a person who is not stupid is completely outside of their grasp.  They're laughing at the actual violence.  Oh look how funny his eyes were before they exploded.

and then suddenly he has brand new eyes - which creates a whole nother mixed message that has taken me YEARS to offset.  No. You would not grow new eyes. 

If you handle it right, I think most people will laugh, or at least not be too weirded out.

Handling it 'right' is in the eyes of the observers.  A parent will have an entirely different perspective on what 'handling it right' is.  Typically people without kids will take a little kid taking off their clothes and running around a store nude differently that saaay a cps worker.  I guess it depends on if you relate more to the child or the parent.

The SHOWS THEMSELVES I really don't have much of a problem with - as adult viewing.  Put it on MTV or TBS or something.  That it is shown in prime time hours on networks skewed towards children on the other hand, is more the issue.  The confusion of having adult oriented cartoons during daytime hours on channels that also feature childrens cartoons is more the challenge. 

I suppose the difference in response is whether kids are 'real enough' in your world to count as people; or whether they are just small sometimes entertaining animals who when they get in the way of your own personal entertainment should be removed from your prescence.  If there is an entertainment value, typically other people don't care enough about a kids wellbeing/ mind state to really think about what is actually being said.  If it is in an unpleasant tone, then who cares what they're saying or why, just make them go away.

On a larger scale, one also has to wonder if the rising trend of kids committing violent crimes might have something to do with the acceptance of violence in programming as a means of conveying an otherwise unpleasant message without concrete understanding or regard for the consequences. 

-LIz Pahir
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #42: March 04, 2008, 09:47:53 am »

BTW, Grimm rules.

lolol

-LIz Pahir
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: March 05, 2008, 12:37:58 pm »

Tom and Jerry have been absoloutely off limits in our house.  You never realize how ridiculously violent and stupid these shows are till you hear your kid who thinks he's absoloutely funny threatening to stuff someone in the microwave. 

See, I think it varies a lot from kid to kid.  It never occurred to me to try and copy things I saw on TV.  And, do you remember those WWII-era Looney Toons that were really racist, full of negative stereotypes?  I saw a lot of those as a kid (I think it wasn't until the mid, maybe late, '90's that they stopped showing them altogether), but it never occurred to me to connect those things w/real people.  They were, to my child's brain, cartoon characters, not at all related to the one black kid I knew.  Don't get me wrong, I agree they should've been pulled, but I don't think racist or violent cartoons are necessarily gonna destroy kids' fragile little psyches, either.

Just because Bugs Bunny cross dressed to seduce Elmer Fudd didn't mean I felt the need to stuff my brother into a dress.  Cheesy

Because most of the stuff on looney toons are situations that kids wouldn't have access to, they're a bit safer.  How many kids have bear traps in their homes?  Not many.  If they did, that would point out a whole nother set of issues.

It's the attitudes they might pick up that would worry me more than kids trying to imitate a cartoon, but again, it probably depends on the kid.  My brother and I would never have thought it was acceptable to hurt an animal just because they did it on a cartoon, f'ex. 

The looney tunes sketch with the three bears when you have kids is demented.  There's an Archie Bunker-esque father bear beating the unintelligent son bear with a baseball bat while the mom looks on lethargically.  Oh yeah.  Great viewing.

I remember that one; I saw it as a kid, thought it was funny, and I don't think I'm any worse off for it.

Then you get some broad in the media who actually DID stuff her kid in the microwave and you have a kid with absoloutely no understanding making comments that squick people to the very roots of their being; and who has no understanding of the looks of shock and horror - but they do know they're getting attention for it.  So they repeat it, thinking they must have told the joke wrong, and that why people didn't laugh.

Some woman actually stuffed her kid in a microwave?  Where the hell was that?

I don't have kids, but my first thought to make them understand would be a little demonstration involving nuking something that would be analogous to their minds, like a flesh-tone action figure.

Mommy wasn't it funny when the little guy put the smaller guy in the microwave and he went sizzle sizzle pop! and you see the pregnant lady ahead of you in line choke on her gum.

Okay, that's funny.  More the other person's reaction, but still.  If I didn't think it was very funny, I would ask the kid why he thought it was funny and go from there.  Or are yours not really old enough to reason with that way?

That's the more frustrating part of it.  They don't need to scream it to count as misbehaving.  A kid who's 'screaming in public' usually isn't coherent or in control enough to be annoying other than as a noise barrier.  It says nothing about the mental/ developmental health of the child outside of 'yup, normal kid having a fit'  That's just par for the course. 

*shrug*

Loud noises bother me.  Kids w/issues, though, there's not really anything I can do about it, y'know?

Whether they sing it or scream it, (and most kids wouldn't- although those without kids might be tempted to mistake a kids singing voice for their outdoor voice) it's still a walking advertisement that your kid has been sitting in front of a box that makes abstract violence humorous at an age where they don't understand abstract humor, and they are parroting something they don't understand, and most explanations are a few stories over their heads at this point. 

I don't think most people really care how much somebody else's kid watches TV, or what they're watching.

That a 'concept' of someone being so incredibly stupid is funny to a person who is not stupid is completely outside of their grasp.  They're laughing at the actual violence.  Oh look how funny his eyes were before they exploded.

and then suddenly he has brand new eyes - which creates a whole nother mixed message that has taken me YEARS to offset.  No. You would not grow new eyes. 

Again, I watched a lot of violent cartoons as a kid, but I don't think it really harmed me.  Captain Planet didn't turn me into a Wiccan, Bugs Bunny didn't turn my brother into a crossdresser, Elmer Fudd didn't make me want to go shoot little animals.

Handling it 'right' is in the eyes of the observers.  A parent will have an entirely different perspective on what 'handling it right' is.  Typically people without kids will take a little kid taking off their clothes and running around a store nude differently that saaay a cps worker.  I guess it depends on if you relate more to the child or the parent.

I don't deny that I relate more to the kid, because I remember being one at one point, but don't have kids myself.

The SHOWS THEMSELVES I really don't have much of a problem with - as adult viewing.  Put it on MTV or TBS or something.  That it is shown in prime time hours on networks skewed towards children on the other hand, is more the issue.  The confusion of having adult oriented cartoons during daytime hours on channels that also feature childrens cartoons is more the challenge. 

I suppose the difference in response is whether kids are 'real enough' in your world to count as people; or whether they are just small sometimes entertaining animals who when they get in the way of your own personal entertainment should be removed from your prescence.  If there is an entertainment value, typically other people don't care enough about a kids wellbeing/ mind state to really think about what is actually being said.  If it is in an unpleasant tone, then who cares what they're saying or why, just make them go away.

Or I remember being one, remember watching things that as an adult now I can't believe my parents let me watch, and am no worse off for it.  I probably wouldn't let a 7-year-old watch Unsolved Mysteries, but I don't think it really hurt me, either.  Kids' lives are so over-managed now, and IMO that does more harm than Billy and Mandy.

It's not about their tone, it's about, when I was a kid, you behaved in public.  Period.  Yelling in the store was unacceptable.  And I look around now, and people just accept it as normal.  They didn't when I was little.

Have you seen that commercial where the kid is drawing on the fridge and the mother says she needs appliances that can survive 3-year-olds?  Everybody I know says, "Wtf, you don't let the little brat draw on the fridge and act like it's kinda cute, you punish her."

On a larger scale, one also has to wonder if the rising trend of kids committing violent crimes might have something to do with the acceptance of violence in programming as a means of conveying an otherwise unpleasant message without concrete understanding or regard for the consequences. 

Or it could be because kids spend so much of their time in adult-structured and supervised situations that they're not learning how to interact w/each other the way they should.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #44: March 05, 2008, 01:18:33 pm »

See, I think it varies a lot from kid to kid.  It never occurred to me to try and copy things I saw on TV.  And, do you remember those WWII-era Looney Toons that were really racist, full of negative stereotypes?  I saw a lot of those as a kid (I think it wasn't until the mid, maybe late, '90's that they stopped showing them altogether), but it never occurred to me to connect those things w/real people.  They were, to my child's brain, cartoon characters, not at all related to the one black kid I knew.  Don't get me wrong, I agree they should've been pulled, but I don't think racist or violent cartoons are necessarily gonna destroy kids' fragile little psyches, either.

Damn, I almost forgot about those.  Don't forget the crows from Dumbo.

Just because Bugs Bunny cross dressed to seduce Elmer Fudd didn't mean I felt the need to stuff my brother into a dress.  Cheesy

I always thought that was pretty funny to tell the truth.  Now that I think about it, Elmer must be pretty dumb not to notice the gray and white fur on the face of the lady that's flirting with him.

And no, I'm not a transvestite.

I remember that one; I saw it as a kid, thought it was funny, and I don't think I'm any worse off for it.

The three bears?  I kinda liked the one with Bugs in it.  Ah memories of long ago....(are there any emoticons that show nostalgia?)

I know of one Bugs Bunny cartoon that has been banned on many stations because it is too violent.  I forget what it's called but it involves Bugs being a square dance proctor (or whatever the hell they're called) and telling a few good ol' boys to do violent things to each other for the vast majority of the cartoon.  Maybe it's just me, but where they see violence I see a classic.

Oh, and of course there are also the always violent Roadrunner and Coyote cartoons that have never (afaik) been banned.

Some woman actually stuffed her kid in a microwave?  Where the hell was that?

I think it was in York County, Virgina.  My mother and I were watching a show about urban legends and mentioned it.  Apparently the girl was having an epileptic seizure when she did it.

Okay, that's funny.  More the other person's reaction, but still.  If I didn't think it was very funny, I would ask the kid why he thought it was funny and go from there.  Or are yours not really old enough to reason with that way?

I not only think it's funny but adorable as well.  Then again, I'm weird so YMMV.

Loud noises bother me.  Kids w/issues, though, there's not really anything I can do about it, y'know?

Same here.

Or I remember being one, remember watching things that as an adult now I can't believe my parents let me watch, and am no worse off for it.  I probably wouldn't let a 7-year-old watch Unsolved Mysteries, but I don't think it really hurt me, either.  Kids' lives are so over-managed now, and IMO that does more harm than Billy and Mandy.

My mother let me watch Interview with the Vampire when I was probably about six or seven and well, you know.

It's not about their tone, it's about, when I was a kid, you behaved in public.  Period.  Yelling in the store was unacceptable.  And I look around now, and people just accept it as normal.  They didn't when I was little.

*gives Pyperlie a standing ovation*

Have you seen that commercial where the kid is drawing on the fridge and the mother says she needs appliances that can survive 3-year-olds?  Everybody I know says, "Wtf, you don't let the little brat draw on the fridge and act like it's kinda cute, you punish her."

*nods*

What about that paper towel commercial where the kid shakes up a bottle of soda and sprays it on his mother?  And she just sprays him with the spray-hose-thingy that is on some sinks?  If that was MY kid, he would get punished.

My Spiritual Blog

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)