The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 03:40:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 03:40:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Practice Basics: Offerings and Meditation  (Read 5726 times)
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 28, 2008, 12:06:27 pm »

It seems typical to offer deities wine, mead, or other alcoholic beverages as an offering.  Especially Norse deities, because recently I have felt called by Skadi, but perhaps all pantheons enjoy it equally.  Now, my husband is a recovering alcoholic, thus we don't drink and generally don't keep alcohol in the house.  Would another offering, whatever substitute, be less accepted than alcohol?  It may require a simple answer, but I ask because I do try to keep somewhat to the traditions of the pantheon, and (what is known) of the original system of belief and practice.

Also, I am wondering how regularly and what methods of meditation you all use.  I never seem to have much luck sitting still and breathing and trying (in vain) to quiet my mind.  I blame this on bipolar disorder, what with racing thoughts and all, but maybe I need to find another method?  I wonder if any of you have similar problems and perhaps don't meditate.  If not, what practices do you use and in stead?

Thanks,
Kerry/Lusiphelia

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 28, 2008, 01:24:37 pm »

It seems typical to offer deities wine, mead, or other alcoholic beverages as an offering.  Especially Norse deities, because recently I have felt called by Skadi, but perhaps all pantheons enjoy it equally.  Now, my husband is a recovering alcoholic, thus we don't drink and generally don't keep alcohol in the house.  Would another offering, whatever substitute, be less accepted than alcohol?  It may require a simple answer, but I ask because I do try to keep somewhat to the traditions of the pantheon, and (what is known) of the original system of belief and practice.

I use sparkling grape juice. (I'm not old enough to legally buy alcohol yet...so I have to 'make do').

whambamcam
Journeyman
Last Login:April 27, 2008, 03:26:18 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan-witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 28, 2008, 01:37:06 pm »

Would another offering, whatever substitute, be less accepted than alcohol?  It may require a simple answer, but I ask because I do try to keep somewhat to the traditions of the pantheon, and (what is known) of the original system of belief and practice.

Also, I am wondering how regularly and what methods of meditation you all use.  I never seem to have much luck sitting still and breathing and trying (in vain) to quiet my mind.  I blame this on bipolar disorder, what with racing thoughts and all, but maybe I need to find another method? 

No I donít think any offering would be less acceptable.  Practical needs do need to take precedence often over ideals.  You could perhaps offer non alcoholic beer or just use any other liquid. 

You could try doing meditation through movement, but Iím not sure how any sort would be effective if youíre manic.

Luceo non uro (I burn but am not consumed)

I birn quil I se (I burn while I shall burn)

Hold fast
Hopecraft
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 08, 2009, 03:36:27 pm
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Religion: pagan/ green witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 28, 2008, 03:45:07 pm »

Also, I am wondering how regularly and what methods of meditation you all use.  I never seem to have much luck sitting still and breathing and trying (in vain) to quiet my mind.  I blame this on bipolar disorder, what with racing thoughts and all, but maybe I need to find another method?  I wonder if any of you have similar problems and perhaps don't meditate.  If not, what practices do you use and in stead?

Thanks,
Kerry/Lusiphelia

If alcohol is a problem try milk, cow or otherwise.  I don't think it is the alcoholic content of the offering that is significant to the dieties but the value of it to the person providing the offering.  If you offer something that has no value to you, are you really sacrificing anything to your diety?  If alcohol holds no value to you it will hold no value to your diety.  Heck, maybe in this day and age you could offer gasoline...lol...its pretty valuable!  Although, keep it away from an open flame...

As far as medition goes, I get my most fulfilling meditations while doing the dishes or folding the laundry.  I find the repetative motion and the mindless task and easy way to let my mind wander in meditation and it helps me relax, especially with the warmth provided by the water or the dryer warmed clothes.  I've solved many of my problems while meditating in this manner and I've learned many things about myself to boot.  Good luck finding the peace of mind to enter a meditative state, I know it took me several years of practice before I really reached true meditation.  I am also an antsy busy body.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 28, 2008, 06:02:34 pm »

Would another offering, whatever substitute, be less accepted than alcohol?  It may require a simple answer, but I ask because I do try to keep somewhat to the traditions of the pantheon, and (what is known) of the original system of belief and practice.

Yes, there are all sorts of other alternatives - precisely which ones make the most sense may take some more research, though. I'd start with 'why alcohol' and 'why *this* alcohol' as questions.

For a lot of cultures, the 'why alcohol' is in part because it was safer or otherwise healthier than drinking the water (at least in some places) or tasted better. But I think there are also other factors: it takes some work to produce, it takes patience to make, it takes a certain amount of ability to have excess materials you can ferment, that you are not just living on the edge of survival. But there are varying approaches to this, depending on the culture and the time period.

Say you decide that the 'it takes patience' part is important. You might then decide that you grow herbs, and leave a few snips from your plants with your offering. You might make bread (especially something like a sourdough, where the mother requires regular tending). You might make herbal oils, or vinegars, and include a little of them in whatever you give as an offering. Or you learn to make cheese.  Or say you decide that the important part is a connection to the physical cycles around you: your offerings might be a small clipping from a plant, items you get at a local farmer's market, or milk or cheese you get from local dairies.

(There's obviously all sorts of levels of intricate this can get: I don't make my own wine, but after several years of baking bread, I consider homemade bread to be pretty much a requirement for my actual formal offerings at ritual. If I do have to do store-bought for some reason, I try to make sure it's unusual in some way, or from another really good baker, not just the local grocery store. Or, for example, I did a ritual a few years ago where I was working closely with Artemis, and she *really* wanted baklava as part of the offerings, and that's way outside my scope to make, and that got bought.)

There's the other approach - there's a lot of magic and lore about honey, and mead shares those associations. If a common offering is mead, then would honey do the same things? Or wine and grapes, or beer and bread, or a number of other common and closely-related food and drink stuffs. If you follow the ingredients through, you can find all sorts of fascinating connections.

When your mind races, is it worries, or is it distractions? There are some different methods that might help.

The 'sit and clear your mind' is only one possible form, though. Some people do better with walking meditation, or dance/moving meditation. Or washing the dishes. Or pathworkings/guided meditations. If you talk a little more about your goals, and what you'd like to meditate to do, I bet we can come up with good suggestions.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 28, 2008, 06:25:36 pm »

I agree that alcohol is traditional because of the reasons stated by Jennett. I think that any sort of offering should be personal. So because your husband is in recovery, alcohol would have very little value to you personally. I like Hopecraft's suggestions of gas. lol. If you like the idea of offering alcohol because of the fact that it is traditional, consider non-alcoholic variations. Especially for the Norse pantheon, you might consider making mead. I'm not sure how common this is, but the local pagan shop in my area offers mead kits that you can make alcoholic or non-alcoholic. Smiley I haven't picked one up yet, but I definitely plan to!

There are a lot of threads about meditation... try doing a search.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 28, 2008, 06:51:29 pm »

There's the other approach - there's a lot of magic and lore about honey, and mead shares those associations.

Not sure why only this bit got quoted...moving on...

The reason I want to use real wine offerings when I am legally able to buy the stuff is just because it IS traditional. The reasons for it being traditional don't really matter to me, but the tradition is. However for practical reasons I have to use something else for now. Sparkling grape juice being my first choice, but it's not available to me at this time. Cry

Honey is a good idea. I can't think of a single deity that would complain about honey! Ever heard of the "land of milk and honey"? Well, there's a reason...milk and honey tastes GOOD. I used to have easy access to a whole foods store and was able to get raw milk, and raw honey. OMG yum... (in fact I drank raw milk for so long that I still tend to shake the milk carton before drinking. Cheesy my mom laughs at me.)

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #7: February 28, 2008, 08:55:13 pm »

The reasons for it being traditional don't really matter to me, but the tradition is.

I'm the opposite.  'It's traditional' doesn't mean much to me unless I both understand the reason for the tradition in the first place and agree that that reason is still valid.  Something completely new or non-traditional that makes sense to me and is consistent with my understanding of 'what is required' will get preference over an older procedure, especially if I see the older one as counter-productive or too automatic.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 28, 2008, 08:56:50 pm »

The reason I want to use real wine offerings when I am legally able to buy the stuff is just because it IS traditional. The reasons for it being traditional don't really matter to me, but the tradition is. However for practical reasons I have to use something else for now. Sparkling grape juice being my first choice, but it's not available to me at this time. Cry

Honey also has some other serious practical benefits - it's easy to store, you can usually buy local honey without too much trouble, and a little goes a long way. (I'm still working through the honey I bought this summer, and I use it heavily in baking and a few other uses.)

There's also a bit for me, currently, about supporting an industry that's having a really hard time due to hive deaths. I do my best to buy from my local farmer's market, where they tend to have non-monoculture honey, and are having better luck keeping the hives alive, but it's hard for everyone.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 28, 2008, 10:55:48 pm »

There are plenty of other offerings to be made. Look to the history and mythology of the deities for inspiration. Ask them what they want.

I offer most often, white wine, bay leaves, cypress candles and incense to Apollo. Red wine, rosemary and incense to Dionysus.

Yankee candle used to make wine candles- candles whose scents were inspired by wines. Unfortunately, they don't anymore, I would get those for offerings in a second :-)

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 29, 2008, 01:24:10 am »

I've offered Skadi apple juice before and as far as I know, She accepted it. 

Other Non-Alcoholic Beverages:
Mead (non-Alchoholic kind) or beer
Grape juice

As Skadi is a deity of the hunt, perhaps some bow and arrow for her altar, or an animal skin cloth (fake or not depending on your taste or if it is legal, I guess), errm......wolf pictures or figures as she was associated with wolves, snow, mountains (her hall was in the mountains of Thyrheim (sp?)), skis, images to frame of her, snowshoes, etc.   

Maybe making something for her (like a picture for her) or making snowshoe cookies with honey!

Wow, I need to go away now.  I'm coming up with snowshoe cookies. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 29, 2008, 04:42:54 am »

I can empathise with you here. I have a similar dilemma of my own.

There is strong evidence that the main offerings to Sul historically were cattle. As I am quasi-vegetarian and havenít eaten red meat for 20 years this is posing a bit of a problem. I canít see soya protein being acceptable somehow and I wouldnít insult her by offering it.

If I buy beef specially I will really not be offering the meat per se but actually my willingness to compromise long held principles. This to me is a much more significant offering than anything tangible.

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #12: February 29, 2008, 07:29:27 am »

Sometimes (depending on browser, phase of the moon, the way you're holding your head, etc.) if you have a portion of the post you're replying to highlighted when you hit quote/reply, it'll just quote the highlighted portion.  Obviously it's not real dependable, though.  Smiley

(If that wasn't it, I've got no clue.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 29, 2008, 07:50:24 am »

Maybe making something for her (like a picture for her) or making snowshoe cookies with honey!

Wow, I need to go away now.  I'm coming up with snowshoe cookies. 

Haha, and I'm trying to figure out how the heck one WOULD make snowshoe cookies!!!   Wink
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 29, 2008, 07:56:08 am »

When your mind races, is it worries, or is it distractions? There are some different methods that might help.

The 'sit and clear your mind' is only one possible form, though. Some people do better with walking meditation, or dance/moving meditation. Or washing the dishes. Or pathworkings/guided meditations. If you talk a little more about your goals, and what you'd like to meditate to do, I bet we can come up with good suggestions.

Magickally/Spiritually, I'd like to be more 'aware' of what else is around me, open myself up to communication with the Gods, perhaps contact with the Fey (although I know this is likely a crapshoot, they'll show up if they please), and more mundanely, better awareness of the day-to-day, concentration, etc.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)