The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 21, 2019, 10:14:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2019, 10:14:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Born-again virgins claim to rewrite the past  (Read 8422 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: February 28, 2008, 02:11:04 pm »

**head desk**

Oh man. Recycled virginity. Who'd have thunk it.

Born-again virgins claim to rewrite the past
Through spiritual or surgical routes, women give their first time a do-over

"Though the relationship lasted for seven years and produced two beautiful children, a part of Watts always felt guilty. She wished she could step back in time and recapture her lost virginity. Thinking of how “I could have ruined one of greatest fulfillments of my life,” the first time having sex with a husband, she wanted to “have that opportunity again. I know my [future] husband deserves a whole person.”

So Watts engaged in a lot of prayer and thought, and now declares herself a virgin once again. “The most important thing was to realize what my values were and what I want in the future and the bigger goals in my life," she says. "That’s why I can call myself a renewed virgin.”  "

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23254178/

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: February 28, 2008, 02:16:34 pm »

**head desk**

I've come across that one before, actually.  It's always baffled the hell out of me.

though .. SURGICAL means?  you want that to hurt AGAIN?  that's just messed up.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #2: February 28, 2008, 02:25:39 pm »

**head desk**

What the heck is wrong with them???  Shocked
They better try to recycle some brain cells *shakes head*
That does not make one young or virgin again, it makes one a case for serious help imho.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 28, 2008, 02:39:52 pm »

I've come across that one before, actually.  It's always baffled the hell out of me.

They did point out that some women actually have to have an intact hymen upon marriage or they risk getting honor-killed.  For them, the surgery makes complete and total sense, expecially if all they did to lose it was use a tampon or do gymnastics.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 28, 2008, 02:41:50 pm »

**head desk**

"Though the relationship lasted for seven years and produced two beautiful children, a part of Watts always felt guilty. She wished she could step back in time and recapture her lost virginity. Thinking of how “I could have ruined one of greatest fulfillments of my life,” the first time having sex with a husband, she wanted to “have that opportunity again. I know my [future] husband deserves a whole person.”

So Watts engaged in a lot of prayer and thought, and now declares herself a virgin once again. “The most important thing was to realize what my values were and what I want in the future and the bigger goals in my life," she says. "That’s why I can call myself a renewed virgin.”  "

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23254178/
Yeah, the "born again virgin" thing has always puzzled me.  Either virginity has meaning or it doesn't.  Self-delusion isn't going to change anything.

What really disturbed me about this article were the women who were getting the reconstructive surgery out of fear for their lives.  

*shudder*
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: February 28, 2008, 02:47:10 pm »

They did point out that some women actually have to have an intact hymen upon marriage or they risk getting honor-killed.  For them, the surgery makes complete and total sense, expecially if all they did to lose it was use a tampon or do gymnastics.

there is that.

hell, in that part of the world, I'd've been killed too.  Thanks to an ob/gyn. *sigh*

it's just so ... unreasonable, I guess.  I don't know.  it's so crazy.

Thorn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 28, 2008, 02:47:50 pm »

What disturbs me is that the interviews were done with a doctor who worked in an America.  Theoretically, the women they operated on were relatively safe here, but were getting the surgery done so that they could voluntarily go back to a situation where their lives could be threatened in that way. 

It really brought home to me the unbelievably hard choices that some people have to make.  And makes me more grateful for the life that I have.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: February 28, 2008, 02:58:24 pm »

**head desk**

I have heard about this before and it puzzles me.  How can plastic surgery to restore a hymen can make you a virgin when you already have kids?  You would think that they would be a dead giveaway.  Even if it was an immaculate conception they hymen would still be broken unless the kid was delivered via c-section.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: February 28, 2008, 03:03:18 pm »

I have a more intelligent response now (believe it or not!)

I think the real problem I have with the whole "recycled virgin" thing is the idea that the only way you can choose to be in a relationship and NOT have sex is if you're a virgin.  And so the only way to slow down the physicalness of future relationships - is to re-become a virgin.

It's one thing (though a sad and scary thing) if your life is attached to that virginity.  But in this culture, it plain old isn't.  And to cling to virginity as an excuse to not be sexually active with every man you date - it's a sad state to be in when that's the only excuse you have to NOT sleep with someone.  (what happened to just not wanting to?)

Not saying most people or most women believe this - just saying that the subset that gets big about the whole "virgin" thing tend to have NO room for just "no thank you".  All or nothing, every time. Sad

Thorn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 28, 2008, 03:18:44 pm »

I have heard about this before and it puzzles me.  How can plastic surgery to restore a hymen can make you a virgin when you already have kids?  You would think that they would be a dead giveaway.  Even if it was an immaculate conception they hymen would still be broken unless the kid was delivered via c-section.
I'm hardly the one to make this call, but on further thought being a mother and claiming to be a virgin strikes me as quite blasphemous, within the Christian faith.    It could be seen as mocking the Immaculate Conception, one of the major miracles of their faith. 

After all, it wouldn't have been that special if Mary just said, "I've prayed long and hard and I'm not having sex any more so I'm a virgin."
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: February 28, 2008, 03:20:01 pm »

I've never understood this whole phenomena. It's sort of like sinning like mad Monday through Saturday and then going to church on Sunday to get right with God.

The hypocrisy of it just stuns me.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 28, 2008, 03:43:49 pm »

"Have you already unwrapped the priceless gift of virginity and given it away?" asks the Web site for the Pregnancy Resource Center of Northeast Ohio, where Watts began working part-time after she reclaimed her virginity. "Do you now feel like 'second-hand goods' and no longer worthy to be cherished? "

What a horrible, misogynist point of view!  It's disgusting that anyone would be thought of as a lesser person for having sex. 

Just because they 'fix' the hymen doesn't make one a virgin again anyway.  They still did the act.   Angry

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 28, 2008, 03:55:53 pm »

Just because they 'fix' the hymen doesn't make one a virgin again anyway.  They still did the act.   Angry

Exactly!!! I mean, duh...

The only time I can see this as actually making sense is in cases where an intact hymen means life or death (those cases already mentioned). Otherwise, it's just STUPID.

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 28, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »

The logic of this thinking confuses me. 

These women believe that having their hymen fixed makes them a virgin.  So, one would imagine that they feel that it is the act of sticking something through it that makes them no longer a virgin.  But at the end of the story the Carpenter woman says sex toys don't count.   She says it is the act of being with another person that counts.  So then, how does fixing the hymen make any difference?!
 Cheesy  That way of thinking is just hilarious.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 28, 2008, 04:23:32 pm »

That way of thinking is just hilarious.

I don't find it so much funny or unbelievable, as sad. Sad and angry. Sad that these women's sense of self-worth revolves around such tiny thing, sad that they are so desperate for external validation that they go to these lengths and justifications, and angry at the attitudes that support and perpetuate the whole thing.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)