The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 10, 2019, 01:06:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2019, 01:06:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Deities Requesting Specific Foods or Drink  (Read 7913 times)
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 28, 2008, 06:36:01 pm »

In mosey-ing around here, I have found it not very uncommon for people to mention a certain deity they work with asking for a certain type of food or drink for offering (this was inspired in particular by Jennett's mention of Artemis wanting baklava in the "Practicing Basics" thread).

My question then is why would a deity ask for a food such as this? What do they plan to do with it? Not being in the physical plane, I imagine they could just conjure up the taste or smell if it was something they liked. Why do they request for a worshiper to provide it?

Do you find certain gods or goddesses have a sweet tooth or other strange cravings? lol. And finally, does it appear that they ask for foods or drinks that might be similar to the tastes or preferences of the lands from which they originated (the land they were originally worshipped)? If you had a god or goddess ask for something particularly unusual, please share!

Just a curious questions... thanks in advance!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 28, 2008, 06:44:52 pm »

I believe that what deities and spirits can "get" from our offerings is the energy that they contain, and the 'taste' or 'aroma' of the offering. They can't physically eat it, but they do get something out of it. I really don't know how to explain it...other than that perhaps they can "taste" the wine, and "smell" the wine, and gain the energy from the wine, even though they can't physically drink the wine.

Juno is fond of dark chocolate. And Jupiter likes grapes, for some reason. That's the only "deity specific" food offerings that I do.

I have been told that some things are NOT a good idea. For instance when I just used whatever I had on hand at the time, and once that happened to be Sunny D. I was basically told "that tastes like sh*t. do you really drink that?" Cheesy

Cathira
Master Member
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 04:26:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Kemetically-influenced mental decoration & maintenance scheme
Awards: Site Assistant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 28, 2008, 06:53:38 pm »

What do they plan to do with it?

I am of the belief that food, like 'living' plants and animals, and also like inanimate objects such as stones and water, has an essence. Unlike with animals, it is not a fully-fledged spirit, but it is something of a 'spiritual' essence. When something is offered to the gods I believe that the dieties 'take' this essence, and leave the physical shell behind, which I would then consume or otherwise give back to nature (for a food/liquid offering), or perhaps place in a suitable location (if I was offering something such as jewellery or stones, etc). For something wearable, I would then only wear it if the diety I had offered it to indicated they wished me to, for whatever purpose.

Just my UPG, YMMV.

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Feed me chocolate day and night,
Just be forewarned I have quite a bite!
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 09, 2019, 07:18:34 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 28, 2008, 07:08:38 pm »

My question then is why would a deity ask for a food such as this? What do they plan to do with it? Not being in the physical plane, I imagine they could just conjure up the taste or smell if it was something they liked. Why do they request for a worshiper to provide it?

That particular ritual was a full-on aspecting/Drawing Down ritual: she was still hanging around for the after-feast for a bit, and I would not be surprised if she was enjoying the use of my tastebuds.

More seriously - I think they get access to the essence and flavor of the food, but need us (who can interact on the physical plane directly) to make it happen. Sort of like if you're sitting next to the most wonderfully stocked pantry in the world, but can't open the door to it, that food doesn't  do you much good.

Do you find certain gods or goddesses have a sweet tooth or other strange cravings? lol. And finally, does it appear that they ask for foods or drinks that might be similar to the tastes or preferences of the lands from which they originated (the land they were originally worshipped)? If you had a god or goddess ask for something particularly unusual, please share!

I have yet to find a deity who turns down chocolate, though there may be one out there. (That said, I've run into some very specific preferences.) And chocolate is very definitely a modern food. Beyond that, it's mostly paying attention and noticing odd tastes (I certainly like baklava, but I don't normally get that kind of full-week-long craving for it. That got better once I went and bought some for ritual.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 28, 2008, 07:10:37 pm »

Juno is fond of dark chocolate.

A random thought--Dark Chocolate is really healthy, perhaps they want you to eat certain things to stay healthy?  Grin

*Síocháin*
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 28, 2008, 07:52:18 pm »

More seriously - I think they get access to the essence and flavor of the food, but need us (who can interact on the physical plane directly) to make it happen. Sort of like if you're sitting next to the most wonderfully stocked pantry in the world, but can't open the door to it, that food doesn't  do you much good.
So... the gods need us to directly offer food to them? You believe they cannot partake of "earthly pleasures" such as eating without assistance?

Thank you all for the responses! Very interesting...

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 09, 2019, 07:18:34 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 28, 2008, 08:53:32 pm »

So... the gods need us to directly offer food to them? You believe they cannot partake of "earthly pleasures" such as eating without assistance?

I don't know that they *need* it. I've got sufficient personal evidence to convince me they *like* it, and the strong sense of 'this is a bit we can't just do for ourselves'. (Which makes sense, honestly, to me. You need a connection to the physical plane to interact with it: there are a number of paths that believe that dedicating food - or tools, jewels, etc. for a non-physical entity's usage makes it accessible to them in practical ways, but that stuff that isn't so dedicated is intangible to them.)

In a really practical sense, one of the arguments why the Gods are interested in aspecting/speaking through people is that they get something out of the experience that they can't get any other way: touch/taste/scent/etc. of stuff they don't normally have access to are some pretty powerful motivators.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 28, 2008, 10:48:49 pm »

I have yet to find a deity who turns down chocolate, though there may be one out there. (That said, I've run into some very specific preferences.) And chocolate is very definitely a modern food. Beyond that, it's mostly paying attention and noticing odd tastes (I certainly like baklava, but I don't normally get that kind of full-week-long craving for it. That got better once I went and bought some for ritual.)

Well...modern to European deities....quite old, no doubt to Mesoamericans :-) Though, in different form.

I still must provide my gods with their Lindt cherry-chilli chocolate...lol

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: February 28, 2008, 11:44:19 pm »

In ancient Greek religion, sacrifice wasn'r about "feeding" (or "watering") the gods -- the Greeks would have found the idea laughable, according to Burkert.  Instead, sacrifice was a gesture of "divine wastefulness":  proving that one was willing to give up something to the gods.  (That's why libations are done the way they are -- if you pour the liquid on the ground, it's unusable by humans.)

Other religious traditions had different attitudes towards offerings; in, I believe, Egyptian religion, the gods share in a ritual meal (offerings).  What the gods are perceived to "get" from offerings varies from culture to culture.  There are a few traditions -- I think certain African Diaspora religions -- where attention from worshippers makes the god stronger, and offerings are part of that.

And gods have different symbols and attributes, so it's hardly surprising that they'd have different preferred offerings too.  And there also things it is forbidden to offer certain deities -- IIRC, Aset and Sekhmet are *never* to be given blood.  (I can't recall if that's a Netjer-wide thing, but I remember those two being linked to the blood prohibition.  Darkhawk?  Sat Aset?)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: February 29, 2008, 12:18:44 am »

I have yet to find a deity who turns down chocolate, though there may be one out there.

Neither have I.  In fact, chocolate is one of the things I regularly offer the gods and I keep a pack of chocolate bars in the closet my altar is in.  With Hera and Aphrodite I think it may be one of their preferred offerings.

Some more that I found out:

Ares likes pepper (both peppercorns and ground) as well as spicy food.

Hermes has a definite sweet tooth.  He seems to like candy, particularly red hots.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 29, 2008, 01:39:52 am »

Other religious traditions had different attitudes towards offerings; in, I believe, Egyptian religion, the gods share in a ritual meal (offerings).  What the gods are perceived to "get" from offerings varies from culture to culture.  There are a few traditions -- I think certain African Diaspora religions -- where attention from worshippers makes the god stronger, and offerings are part of that.

And gods have different symbols and attributes, so it's hardly surprising that they'd have different preferred offerings too.  And there also things it is forbidden to offer certain deities -- IIRC, Aset and Sekhmet are *never* to be given blood.  (I can't recall if that's a Netjer-wide thing, but I remember those two being linked to the blood prohibition.  Darkhawk?  Sat Aset?)

Blood is taboo for all Netjeru (some say for an open statue where a deity's essence resides in a statue where the god lives--literally and others say all the time for all ritual not just to an open statue ymmv).  Sekhmet has a blood lust story with her so I really wouldn't offer her blood.  Aset is stricter than most Netjeru about purity requirements so yeah, she's not fond of blood either.  For offerings, Aset's prohibition is pork and I've heard from others fish too, but I don't know that from my own UPG. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Armagh444
Journeyman
Last Login:July 09, 2010, 07:16:15 pm

Religion: Celtic Pagan Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 29, 2008, 09:40:53 pm »

Who's to say that they cannot fully partake of offerings of food and drink?  Is considering as much any more bizarre a notion than acceptance and comprehension of transubstantiation?

Do you find certain gods or goddesses have a sweet tooth or other strange cravings?

Well, Brigid gets more than a little bitchy if I make an offering that doesn't include what she considers a proper libation (usually good beer).

Three things from which never to be moved: one's Oaths, one's Gods, and the Truth. The three highest causes of the true human are: Truth, Honor, and Duty. Three candles that illuminate every darkness: Truth, Nature, and Knowledge.
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 02, 2008, 09:45:51 am »

And there also things it is forbidden to offer certain deities ...

In Greek Mythology human sacrifice is forbidden. In fact if I remember correctly, Zeus turned a whole family into dogs/wolves for serving the youngest brother to the gods/goddesses in a pot. Isn't that darling.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: March 02, 2008, 10:36:58 am »

In Greek Mythology human sacrifice is forbidden. In fact if I remember correctly, Zeus turned a whole family into dogs/wolves for serving the youngest brother to the gods/goddesses in a pot. Isn't that darling.

*nods*

Don't forget about Tantalus.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 02, 2008, 10:51:54 am »

Who's to say that they cannot fully partake of offerings of food and drink?  Is considering as much any more bizarre a notion than acceptance and comprehension of transubstantiation?

I suppose they could, but I've never had offerings physically disappear off of my altar, have you? Cheesy

If they did I'd be mighty surprised, just based on experience.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)