The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 20, 2021, 12:19:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2021, 12:19:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Western Civ class becomes Bible Lesson -- WWYD  (Read 4927 times)
Derg Corra
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 08, 2008, 09:29:15 pm
United States United States

Religion: Aspiring Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 29, 2008, 10:24:51 pm »

This is a college course, right? Being exposed to different ideas than one holds is part of the whole college experience. Unless this stuff shows up on a test and only "Biblically Correct" answers are acceptable or this guy does the Christian religion bit every day, I just ignore it.

Yes, college course.  Not a religious school.  I see what you are saying.  Maybe it would be best for me to ignore it, I dunno.  I have been listening to the first half of what I recorded and he does seem to take a step away from being connected from the material but at the same time he is weaving in stuff from the Gospels as part of this sort of timeline of Jesus' life...  For instance, roughly quoting from my recorder:  Remember, one of the miracles that he had was he had five thousand people who had come out, well, one gospel says five thousand men, another gospel says five thousand people.  But y’know that at least it was five thousand, it could’ve been more than actually five thousand.  Uh, and he feeds those folks, uh, because they’re, they’re uh, hungry.  Feeds them with five loaves and two fishes."

I kind of have a problem with that being presented in a History of Western Civilization class under that context Also, he talks about the three Magi visiting Jesus, which of course is from the gospels.

rough quote:
"the Magi get there, uh, 12 days after the birth, uh, y’know, frankincense and myrrh, y’know, all that stuff.  But, they realized that that uhm, Herod was up to no good, so they went back by a different route."

For instance, take this site

http://www.pyracantha.com/Z/3magi.html

which says

The first thing we must remember is that the story of the Three Magi is just that - a STORY. It is not history, and is not meant to relate an actual incident (of course, there is always the chance that it actually happened, but no one will ever be able to prove it). This is a sacred story, and every detail in it is meant to convey a symbolic spiritual meaning. The fact that this is a story and not history does not mean that everything in it is false. Stories are told using real data, and thus the tellers of the story of the Magi could draw on actual details of the cosmopolitan civilization they knew in the first century A.D.

The point is it's not historical, it's from the Gospel of Matthew.  I am not trying to deny that Christianity had an effect on Western Civilization (no doubt it did) but this was like 25 straight minutes on Jesus.

I think the guy is a decent teacher but I just don't agree with the way he is presenting this material, especially considering he did this minutes AFTER it was brought to his attention that some of this stuff seems less historical and more faith-based.

I mean, recently we covered Greek plays/satyr plays briefly.  He didn't go on a 25 minute spiel about Pan.  We covered Egypt and we didn't learn about Ra and Isis (we learned about Ma'at, not as a goddess but as a sort of idea of pie in the sky righteousness).

I dunno, just seems really out of balance.  I will probably just bring in a bunch of stuff I printed about the legitimacy of the Josephus passages being debated and even denied by some Christian sources.  As he said to me, if the Josephus stuff is a forgery, then a lot of people are going to take another look at the way history is written.  I am not looking to get him in trouble or make him hate my guts.  He seems like a decent teacher and a nice enough guy but I really was taken aback that he would do something like this in a secular environment, even after being called on it.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.