The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 28, 2021, 12:04:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 28, 2021, 12:04:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Western Civ class becomes Bible Lesson -- WWYD  (Read 4953 times)
Didgeridoo
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 07, 2009, 02:46:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: Panentheistic/Universalist

Let me think about that...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 01, 2008, 01:29:27 pm »

Two quick thoughts.

One is why talked so long about Jesus and not about other Gods. Being in America it is sensible that Jesus gets more air time since Christianity had a massive effect on the formation and culture of the USA. That doesn't excuse preaching basically, but it does justify a longer reflection on Christianity than one would give, say, Confusianism. It is an unavoidable fact that the USA while moving to a "post-Christian" setting has a history as a mostly Christian nation. Again though, doesn't excuse preaching in a Community College.

Second is on Jesus historically. There is enough historical evidence to say reasonably that Jesus as a human being lived. The Josephus text you are refering to is a complicated matter. There are two references to Jesus in his writings and one seems legit, the other not. He mentions Jesus as a Rabbi that lead a Messianic sect which is the accepted notation. However, there is another mention later that refers to Jesus as the Messiah (I think) and that passage is believe to have been added later. Also, the Roman historian Tacitus mentions Jesus as a person in the right time and executed by Pontious Pilot. Other evidence exists but this not the time or place for. I'm just saying that arguing the historical existance of a Jewish Rabbi named Jesus is not worthwhile. There is enough evidence to say that a Rabbi named Jesus lived in the 1st century and was killed. The rest of the New Testament and whatnot, that is another matter. (Luke is shockingly historically accurate actually but that is not here nor there.)

Now, for what I think you should do.

If this is an isolated occurance, let it go. Annoying, sure, but whatever. If it happens again, talk to the professor about how you feel that his lecture is off-putting to non-Christians. If he doesn't listen, go to his Dean with the same complaint. Don't argue though and don't try to disprove him. If he really does believe the Biblical account then a student telling him he's wrong isn't going to sway him. If anything you'll just make it worse because you'll feed a potentially hostile "I'm being repressed" response. So, like others have said, let it slide unless it happens again.

I completely sympathise. I'm taking a Faith and Film class at my school and I get weary of having to couch everything in Christian terms. The difference of course is that I'm at a Christian school but it is still aggrivating. At least you don't have to listen to it. I do since I'm in a religious school so count your blessings.

The more a person looks on everything as divine-
more divine than it is in itself-
the more will God be pleased.

A person works in a stable.
That person has a Breakthrough.
What does he do?
He returns to work in the stable.

-Meister Eckhart

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.