The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 25, 2021, 11:04:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 25, 2021, 11:04:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Photosynthesis of biofuels  (Read 1157 times)
Phoenix
Adept Member
Last Login:June 14, 2011, 05:51:50 am
United States United States

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 01, 2008, 03:36:05 pm »

I was thinking ...

If plants can convert carbon dioxide and water into sugar by photosynthesis, and yeast can convert sugar to alcohol by fermentation; would it not be possible for GM bacteria to convert carbon dioxide and water directly to alcohol by photosynthesis?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 01, 2008, 04:40:14 pm »

You know that is an interesting question, those two elements are widely available. Heck, you could actually just use a glucose of some sort (pretty readily available) and water. The only problem is restricting that bacteria just to the tanks you want it in, or if it got out make it non viable, but that really shouldn't be too difficult.

Edited To Add: I see you mentioned the photosynthesis thing, maybe it would be possible to make two organism that are mutually dependent on each other. One makes the glucose, the other the alcohol.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 04:42:07 pm by nigel » Logged

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
Phoenix
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 01, 2008, 04:49:54 pm »

you could actually just use a glucose of some sort (pretty readily available) and water.
Yes, fermentation.
What I'm trying to do is by-pass the sugar stage and go directly to alcohol

The only problem is restricting that bacteria just to the tanks you want it in, or if it got out make it non viable, but that really shouldn't be too difficult.
A lot of times the will use a "suicide gene" to kill an organism if it escapes from the lab

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan
nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 01, 2008, 04:55:00 pm »

I'm thinking the sugar is a needed part of fermentation, so you could either have a bacteria that made sugar then alcohol or two organisms one making sugar the other alcohol.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
Rae*ShadowWolf
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 28, 2008, 06:26:55 pm

Religion: Pagan seeking a path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 01, 2008, 11:11:24 pm »

I'm thinking the sugar is a needed part of fermentation, so you could either have a bacteria that made sugar then alcohol or two organisms one making sugar the other alcohol.

Yes, glucose is needed, as without glucose, glycolysis would never be able to break down the sugar into pyruvate.  Once pyruvate is formed, it releases a molecule of CO2, to become Acetaldehyde.  The Acetaldehyde is reduced by NADH to Ethanol, then the NAD+ can continue the glycolysis cycle.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: March 02, 2008, 10:25:37 am »

I was thinking ...

If plants can convert carbon dioxide and water into sugar by photosynthesis, and yeast can convert sugar to alcohol by fermentation; would it not be possible for GM bacteria to convert carbon dioxide and water directly to alcohol by photosynthesis?

Apparently you are not the first to think of this.

Famed geneticist creating life form that turns CO2 to fuel

MONTEREY, California (AFP) - A scientist who mapped his genome and the genetic diversity of the oceans said Thursday he is creating a life form that feeds on climate-ruining carbon dioxide to produce fuel.

Full Article

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Phoenix
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 02, 2008, 03:11:12 pm »

Apparently you are not the first to think of this.
And I used to live just across the bay from Monterey ....
Must be something in the water

- Ronald Reagan

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.