The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2019, 05:37:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2019, 05:37:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Uses of incense burning in different traditions  (Read 5220 times)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 01, 2008, 04:10:03 pm »

I like to smoke [edit: burn] various incense because I love the smell and feel that it creates a positive atmosphere, but I wonder how it is used in different traditions and why.

I've read somewhere that smoke cleanses the room of spirits and somewhere else that you can offer incense to spirits or gods.  Huh

Which traditions/religions do use incense and why?

Why and how are you using incense and does it relate to a specific tradition?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 02:47:25 am by Passionfruit, Reason: vocabulary » Logged

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm
United States United States

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 01, 2008, 06:31:57 pm »

I like to smoke various incense because I love the smell and feel that it creates a positive atmosphere, but I wonder how it is used in different traditions and why.

I think you mean burn incense..."smoke incense" gives me a very interesting mental image lol. Cheesy

I use incense both for cleansing, for offerings, and just to create a good atmosphere. What I'm going for determines the type of incense used. For instance, for serious cleansing I use a mixture of Frankincense and sage. It STINKS but it works. I'll also choose an incense or a blend depending on what exactly the ritual is "geared towards".

Tonight I used a mixture of High Desert Sage and Pinon Pine. The sage is cleansing and the pinon comforting. It really smells good together and creates a wonderful atmosphere (which is what I wanted for this particular ritual.)

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 02, 2008, 02:51:00 am »

I think you mean burn incense..."smoke incense" gives me a very interesting mental image lol. Cheesy
Oh, sorry, yes I meant burning incense. I haven't even smoked tabacco or other stuff. Not that you can tell with my vocabulary confusion...  Roll Eyes

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:Today at 11:13:29 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: March 02, 2008, 08:39:51 am »

In Hellenic Paganism, incense is an acceptable offering to most of the Gods (all but the Cthonic deities).

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 03, 2008, 01:10:11 pm »

In Hellenic Paganism, incense is an acceptable offering to most of the Gods (all but the Cthonic deities).

Hmmm, I didn't know that.  Thanks for the heads up!  (I just thought they got *different* incense.  Come to think of it, it makes sense, though.  Cthonic offering go in or on the ground - not in the air.)

SearchingTiger
Apprentice
Last Login:April 04, 2008, 09:55:39 pm

Religion: Exploring Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 15, 2008, 11:39:24 am »

Well, many, many religions and cultures across the world use incense. The Hebrews burned incense for God (and they had to do it a special way or they got killed by God, its in the old testament, crazy stuff). Now, even today Orthodox and Catholic churches burn incense. They even incense the people (purifying), and then the other incense is seen as prayers going up to God.

In Asian cultures, many temples burn incense. You can go to temple and light a stick and place it at the temple. Zen Buddhism and Shinto employs this (I believe). Hinduism does as well. Once again, prayers raise on incense, and it is seen as an offering.

I believe Native American religions also use as well.

Many pagan religions use it for offerings and purification. Witchcraft will often use a corresponding incense for a spell. Its not required really, but many people like to work with it.

I personally love it. In my workings I use white sage for purifying. I offer frankincense stick incense, its kind of my 'every day' incense. I love it, it smells divine, and I think the gods appreciate it? I use Triloka, as it smells amazing and doesnt seem to bother me (sometimes others make me stuffy). If I have a specific intent, I might mix up an incense or pick a stick incense that corresponds to said intent.

It sets the mood, and I think it really is one of the more magickal things you can offer on your altar!
Cosima
Apprentice
Last Login:October 04, 2010, 02:11:23 pm

Religion: Lazy Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 16, 2008, 04:16:42 pm »

Which traditions/religions do use incense and why?

In the Aztec religion, copal is the most sacred incense and one of the most common offerings to the Teteo. It is literally the food of the gods - it was believed that as the smoke rose into the realm of the gods it turned into tortillas for Them to feast on. Smiley

Incense is also very much appreciated by the Kemetic gods. Myrrh, frankincense, and kapet, a spicy-sweet mixture of various resins and gums, are all traditional. If I'm remembering correctly, incense was seen in ancient times as the breath of the gods.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 04:38:06 pm by Cosima, Reason: typo » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)