The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 26, 2020, 06:42:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2020, 06:42:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pagan Fiction  (Read 21974 times)
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 02, 2008, 12:53:05 pm »

I was just wondering what fiction books you've discovered that are either Pagan-themed or have some Pagan elements to them.  They seem (to me, at least) to be few and far between.  So I'm curious to see what anyone else has found.  Smiley

My personal favorites are:

"The Wild Wood" and "Greenmantle" by Charles de Lint

"The China Garden" by Liz Berry

and the "Circle of Three" series I read when I was in high school, by Isobel Bird.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 02, 2008, 12:57:44 pm »

So I'm curious to see what anyone else has found.  Smiley

The Tir Alainn Trilogy by Anne Bishop is really good.

Annnnd....

I can't think of anything else at the moment. I'll post again later.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: March 02, 2008, 01:12:05 pm »

I was just wondering what fiction books you've discovered that are either Pagan-themed or have some Pagan elements to them.  They seem (to me, at least) to be few and far between.  So I'm curious to see what anyone else has found.  Smiley

I am currently trying to finish Mordred: Bastard Son by Douglas Clegg.  I'm less than 100 pages from finishing and it's only now getting interesting.  The pagan theme is that Mordred and Morgan Le Fay both follow the Celtic Religion (which oddly enough resembles modern-day Wicca).  I will probably write a more in-depth review for The Cauldron when I get finished and have time.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 02, 2008, 01:36:31 pm »

which oddly enough resembles modern-day Wicca

Cheesy I also wonder if all the skyclad stuff in 'Mists of Avalon' are mainly a Wiccan influence, but I don't know much about Celtic history & mythology. It's a really well written and gripping epic, that is popular also with many non-Pagan folks. Well, Artus-legend is always popular I think...

Also Harry Potter has a mixture of Pagan elements without being intended as Pagan literature.

The Illiad and Odyssee are also Pagan fiction books.  Tongue (When will I find time to read them?  Angry )

Sorry, that's all I know. I'm interested in Pagan fiction books too, are the ones you all mentioned for adults or is it teen literature (not meaning that is necessarily bad)?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 02, 2008, 01:55:32 pm »

Cheesy I also wonder if all the skyclad stuff in 'Mists of Avalon' are mainly a Wiccan influence, but I don't know much about Celtic history & mythology. It's a really well written and gripping epic, that is popular also with many non-Pagan folks. Well, Artus-legend is always popular I think...

Not much skyclad stuff in the one I'm reading.  It had mainly to do with them saying that "all goddesses are just a mask of one great goddess."  I don't know much about Celtic history and mythology either but from what I can tell by post made by Celtic Recons here I'd say the polytheism wasn't as soft (Morgause even said that the Greek Hekate was a mask).

Another wtf moment happened when one of the characters said that Arawn and Cernunnos were lovers.  That didn't make sense to me because with how much interests I have in researching LGBT characters in myth and folklore I would've probably came across it before.

Also Harry Potter has a mixture of Pagan elements without being intended as Pagan literature.

I think the Pagan elements in the HP books were unintentional as well but not as obvious as some of the Christian ones.

The Illiad and Odyssee are also Pagan fiction books.  Tongue (When will I find time to read them?  Angry )

You think that's bad?  I am supposed to be a reconish follower of the Greek gods and I fall asleep whenever I pick one of them up Embarrassed

Sorry, that's all I know. I'm interested in Pagan fiction books too, are the ones you all mentioned for adults or is it teen literature (not meaning that is necessarily bad)?

The book I'm reading is not sexually explicit but the characters talk about sex a lot.  And some may be shocked on how dirty Merlin's mouth is.  So I'd say it's targeted towards adults.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 02:24:06 pm by Melamphoros, Reason: fix quote tag » Logged

My Spiritual Blog
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 02, 2008, 02:13:46 pm »

Mordred: Bastard Son[/i] by Douglas Clegg

Doug's fantastic. I recently finished the first two books of his Vampyricon trilogy.
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 02, 2008, 02:14:54 pm »

The book I'm reading is not sexually explicit but the characters talk about sex a lot.  And some may be shocked on how dirty Merlin's mouth is.  So I'd say it's targeted towards adults.

Doug writes adult fiction.
Allstar
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 19, 2009, 03:05:02 pm

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 02, 2008, 02:17:42 pm »

I like the EarthSea series by Ursula K LeGuin.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: March 02, 2008, 02:22:52 pm »

Doug's fantastic. I recently finished the first two books of his Vampyricon trilogy.

I have two of his other books on my "Too Read" shelf (the first vampire book and one of the haunted house books).  This is the first of his books that I read so I don't have anything to compare it to.  Since Mordred is the first book in a trilogy, I'm holding out hope that the other two will be more interesting.

Doug writes adult fiction.

Kinda figured that Wink  Although some adult fiction writers do write YA.  I thought Passionfruit wanted to know if you would recommend it for teens and I gave my reasons.

My Spiritual Blog
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:July 10, 2020, 02:41:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: March 02, 2008, 02:27:20 pm »

The Mists of Avalon was influenced by modern Wicca, by way of Frazer -- Bradley talks about reading the entire 12-volume edition of The Golden Bough.  (Wicca is basically Frazer in action.)

It's not really appropriate to refer to the Iliad and Odyssey (or the Divine Comedy or Beowulf or Paradise Lost, etc.) as "fiction"; they're epic poems detailing the myths and legends of a particular culture.  ("Fiction" is properly applied to *prose* narratives telling a "made up" story.)  Sorry for the nitpick, but it's a pretty important literary distinction.  Smiley

For Pagan fiction, I like Mary Renault's stuff, and the YA series by Rick Riordan about Percy Jackson, son of Poseidon. 
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 02, 2008, 02:40:20 pm »

I thought Passionfruit wanted to know if you would recommend it for teens and I gave my reasons.
Um, no, I wanted to know if you would recommend it for and adult who doesn't mind a good teen book, but doesn't like too many only-teen-themes in it like angst, first love etc.

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 02, 2008, 02:59:24 pm »

It's not really appropriate to refer to the Iliad and Odyssey (or the Divine Comedy or Beowulf or Paradise Lost, etc.) as "fiction"; they're epic poems detailing the myths and legends of a particular culture.  ("Fiction" is properly applied to *prose* narratives telling a "made up" story.)  Sorry for the nitpick, but it's a pretty important literary distinction.  Smiley
That's why I was joking, but maybe I didn't use the appropriate smiley. ->  Tongue (Or just shouldn't have done it on a discussion forum, my bad.)

However I really didn't know fiction has to be prose, I thought it just meant 'made up'. If I wrote Star Trek in verses wouldn't it be fiction?

I don't mind your 'nitpick', it's good to close some education holes. (And I'm used to profs doing this, hope my questions don't annoy you.) Smiley

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: March 02, 2008, 03:31:40 pm »

Um, no, I wanted to know if you would recommend it for and adult who doesn't mind a good teen book, but doesn't like too many only-teen-themes in it like angst, first love etc.

Oh, my bad. Tongue

Now that I think about it the book I'm reading has the main character moping around because all of his friends are hooking up with someone else and he had to take a celibacy oath.

which reminds me of another Wiccanesque theme: it seems to follow Murry's matriarchal-witch-cult theory.  Apparently, women can learn magic at any time in their lives but males can only learn them if they're virgins.  Also the Great Goddess only likes males who are celibate/virgins.  I have no idea why that irked me when I read it Roll Eyes

My Spiritual Blog
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 02, 2008, 03:51:04 pm »

Now that I think about it the book I'm reading has the main character moping around because all of his friends are hooking up with someone else and he had to take a celibacy oath.
Roll Eyes Cheesy But then...if it gives me a good laugh I might enjoy it.  Wink

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 02, 2008, 04:00:50 pm »

If I wrote Star Trek in verses wouldn't it be fiction?
Bad example actually.

If I was a modern author (unlike Homer) and would invent a story about a mad scientist creating a time travel machine and his playful 11 year old daughter messing around with it and ending up in the middle age, but the story would all be in 12th century middle high German and verses, would you call it fiction? (I might call the girl Kriemhild or Brunhild...  Cheesy )

(Maybe I'm just mad or it's too late for a serious scientific discussion on my side of the planet, but this prose-thing really puzzles me.)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)