The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2020, 06:10:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 06:10:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pagan Fiction  (Read 21990 times)
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 02, 2008, 04:22:31 pm »

I was just wondering what fiction books you've discovered that are either Pagan-themed or have some Pagan elements to them.  They seem (to me, at least) to be few and far between.  So I'm curious to see what anyone else has found.  Smiley

Well, the Great and Terrible Beauty books are pretty pagan themed, and I read this book called Darkhenge that featured Cerridwen. The first series is good and is aimed at teens, and the second is just so-so and aimed at pre-teens

The Moorchild, by Eloise McGraw was one of my favorite books of all time about The Folk, also probably aimed at pre-teens.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 02, 2008, 04:49:21 pm »

Well, the Great and Terrible Beauty books are pretty pagan themed, and I read this book called Darkhenge that featured Cerridwen. The first series is good and is aimed at teens, and the second is just so-so and aimed at pre-teens

The Moorchild, by Eloise McGraw was one of my favorite books of all time about The Folk, also probably aimed at pre-teens.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

I loved reading The Moorchild. It was kind of sad though.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 02, 2008, 04:50:23 pm »

Sorry, that's all I know. I'm interested in Pagan fiction books too, are the ones you all mentioned for adults or is it teen literature (not meaning that is necessarily bad)?

The "Circle of Three" series is definitely teen.  Charles de Lint is adult, and I guess "China Garden" is teen because the protaganist is ... in her teens! lol

That's something else, too, it seems like a lot of it IS geared towards teens. SRW has her Teen-Witch-Mystery series, and I think Llewellyn (sp?) has put out quite a few different Pagan and/or magickal teen fiction books.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: March 02, 2008, 05:01:16 pm »

I was just wondering what fiction books you've discovered that are either Pagan-themed or have some Pagan elements to them. 

My personal favorite is Rosemary Edghill's Bast trilogy (Speak Daggers To Her, The Book of Moons, and The Bowl of Night).

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 02, 2008, 05:03:20 pm »

My personal favorite is Rosemary Edghill's Bast trilogy (Speak Daggers To Her, The Book of Moons, and The Bowl of Night).

I never got to read The Bowl of Night because it's so blasted hard to find. I finally gave up finding it and let go of the first two.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: March 02, 2008, 05:08:54 pm »

I never got to read The Bowl of Night because it's so blasted hard to find. I finally gave up finding it and let go of the first two.

If I remember right, it's back in print (or will be soon) even though the first two are now out of print. I imagine Rosemary is tearing her hair out as these are some of her most requested books and her publisher can't seem to get them all in print at the same time. I think the 3-in-1 volume is still in print, however.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: March 02, 2008, 05:39:29 pm »

I was just wondering what fiction books you've discovered that are either Pagan-themed or have some Pagan elements to them.  They seem (to me, at least) to be few and far between.  So I'm curious to see what anyone else has found.  Smiley

Tamora Pierce's various Tortall books have quite a lot of Pagan elements.

Also, if you'd like something more humorous, there's "Pyramid Scheme" (the author escapes me) in which an alien artifact transports a professor and some marines into an alternate universe of Greek and Egyptian mythology. Among other things, they unchain Prometheus, give the Sphynx a new riddle, and teach Circe about shampoo. I believe it's available in e-text for free from the Baen website.
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: March 02, 2008, 08:40:45 pm »

If I remember right, it's back in print (or will be soon) even though the first two are now out of print. I imagine Rosemary is tearing her hair out as these are some of her most requested books and her publisher can't seem to get them all in print at the same time. I think the 3-in-1 volume is still in print, however.

:longs for my books back. It figures. ROFL
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #23: March 02, 2008, 08:43:58 pm »

Some favorites:

* The Rosemary Edghill Bast books Randall mentioned (also her short stories. I will buy anthologies just for Bast stories.)

* Anything in the Fairy Tale series Terri Windling has edited (both the short story collections and the novel series: my favorites of the latter are Pamela Dean's _Tam Lin_ and Jane  Yolen's _Briar Rose_, but they both hit particular topics of interest for mine.) Also Windling's own _Woodwife_

* A lot of Katherine Kurtz's work: both her Deryni series, and the Adept series. (Both are arguably more ceremonial magic influenced than Pagan, but there's a lot of interesting magical/psychism/related content there.)

* Charles de Lint

* Diane Duane's _So you want to be a wizard_ series (young adult novels, but with a whole lot about sacrifice, commitment to a particular path and goal, etc.)

* Neil Gaiman's _American Gods_ and to a slightly lesser extent, _Anansi Boys_.

* Guy Gavriel Kay's books: the ones I've been especially engrossed by recently are _Ysabel_ and _A Song for Arbonne_

And, in proof that you can argue that anything I read can have Pagan implications, Elizabeth Bear's and Sarah Monette's _A Companion to Wolves_ (you can read why I think this, with some mild spoilers, but avoiding most plot details, at http://gleewood.org/reading/2008/02/09/a-companion-to-wolves/ - and if you go to the main blog, there's comments on the two Kay books, as well.)

Some of Anne Bishop's work (The Dark Jewels series) was required reading for my 2nd degree, because of the discussions about power, responsibility, and abuse of same.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: March 02, 2008, 11:19:42 pm »

Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy. Possibly the reason I'm pagan today. Smiley

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #25: March 03, 2008, 03:17:23 am »

Some of Anne Bishop's work (The Dark Jewels series) was required reading for my 2nd degree, because of the discussions about power, responsibility, and abuse of same.

I'm glad someone else mentioned her, but I have a slight nitpick here -- it's the Black Jewels series, not Dark. Kind of an important distinction; on fanfiction.net (ie, the Pit of Voles) they list it as Dark Jewels Trilogy as a way to avoid problems with the fact that Anne Bishop has explicitly stated that she doesn't want any fanfic written at this time. (And you can guess how many fanfics have Mary Sues that make Sadi fall deeply in love with them. Roll Eyes)

But I'm glad I'm not the only person on the planet who likes her work. Grin Have you read the Tir Alainn Trilogy as well? (Or the Ephemera duology?)

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #26: March 03, 2008, 07:25:31 am »

I'm glad someone else mentioned her, but I have a slight nitpick here -- it's the Black Jewels series, not Dark. -

Ugh. That's what I get for posting late in my day without crosschecking. Thanks for the correction. (And the reasoning - I hadn't known that)

But I'm glad I'm not the only person on the planet who likes her work. Grin Have you read the Tir Alainn Trilogy as well? (Or the Ephemera duology?)

I haven't - while I've enjoyed the stuff I've read by her, she's not an author I've tended to pick up without some external reason. (I'm mostly been off of fantasy genre stuff other than urban fantasy for several years, too, without a specific reason to read something. Nothing to do with the quality of what's out there, and a lot to do with where the inside of my own head has been.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: March 03, 2008, 07:44:07 am »

* A lot of Katherine Kurtz's work: both her Deryni series, and the Adept series. (Both are arguably more ceremonial magic influenced than Pagan, but there's a lot of interesting magical/psychism/related content there.)

There's always Lammas Night for those who want a definitely Pagan Kurtz novel.

Randall
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #28: March 03, 2008, 08:06:07 am »

The Mists of Avalon was influenced by modern Wicca, by way of Frazer -- Bradley talks about reading the entire 12-volume edition of The Golden Bough.  (Wicca is basically Frazer in action.)
Has anybody read the other the stuff by Zimmer-Bradley? Is it as well-written as Mists of Avalon? I saw she has some prequels of it, if that's what they are.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #29: March 03, 2008, 08:15:51 am »

Has anybody read the other the stuff by Zimmer-Bradley? Is it as well-written as Mists of Avalon? I saw she has some prequels of it, if that's what they are.

Do you mean just in the Avalon series, or in general?  The Avalon prequels I have copies of, but haven't actually read.  Her other work...  I also really love her Darkover series, and have really liked a couple of other things by her, but they're not the same sort of thing as the Avalon books.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)