The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 18, 2020, 01:12:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 01:12:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pagan Fiction  (Read 21498 times)
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #60: March 08, 2008, 04:41:28 pm »

Tamora Pierce's various Tortall books have quite a lot of Pagan elements.

Yes, one of my favorite authors Smiley

Hm. Perhaps I shall pick him up again. A Song For Arbonne sounds intriguing.

It's a very nice book, I really liked it. At the start it's a bit confusing with introducing people and then making a 20 year jump, but they have a cast of characters in the back - that helps *lol*

Speaking of The Dark Is Rising, I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned yet: those are pagan books if ever I saw them. And boy, are they goodSmiley

Yes! Ah at least some books and authors I know! *lol*
The Dark is rising influenced me good bit. Still a favorite.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:July 10, 2020, 02:41:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #61: March 08, 2008, 07:08:27 pm »

Has anyone yet mentioned the Chalion books (Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls and The Hallowed Hunt) by Lois McMaster Bujold? Fabulous books, lots of polytheistic cultures, theologies and theurgies.

*makes notes*

Also, one of the most genuinely Pagan books -- and one of the *weirdest* -- I've ever read is this awesomely bizarre 1970s German YA novel by Hannelore Valencak, When Half-Gods Go.  Young German girl, on vacation in Greece with her jerk boyfriend, meets up with Hermes.  As in, the actual god Hermes.  They also meet Dionysos, Apollo (who's a snobby bitch), Homer, and various nymphs.  German girl falls in love with Hermes, but she *doesn't* sleep with him (hello, 1970s gender politics); their big moment of intimacy is when she addresses him as "Du" (German familiar "you").  (Because the heroine had slept with jerk boyfriend, Apollo sneers at her for being a slut, the author replaying the old Apollo/Hermes cult rivalry, firmly on Hermes's side.)  I'm torn between loving the sheer romance of the premise, and hating the heroine for being an idiot.  Seriously, who would turn down *Hermes*?  But the wonder of it is that the gods are treated as *real*, powerful beings, who care about and interact with humans.  It's wacked out and unintentionally hilarious and weirdly moving all at the same time.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #62: March 08, 2008, 09:22:21 pm »

Ditto  Cheesy

Has anyone yet mentioned the Chalion books (Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls and The Hallowed Hunt) by Lois McMaster Bujold? Fabulous books, lots of polytheistic cultures, theologies and theurgies.

How did I manage to forget them? Bah. They're some of my favorites. (She does eventually have plans for another one in that world, too.)

Also, I forgot Emma Bull's _War for the Oaks_

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #63: March 09, 2008, 03:24:23 am »

Ooh.  Fire Rose isn't listed with the Elemental Masters series, so I didn't know about it.

It was published years before the rest; it was the very first one.  I don't know if it's technically a part of the series (I saw Amazon didn't list it as such, which confused me), but if not it's only a technicality, IIRC.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #64: March 09, 2008, 06:48:36 am »

Also, one of the most genuinely Pagan books -- and one of the *weirdest* -- I've ever read is this awesomely bizarre 1970s German YA novel by Hannelore Valencak, When Half-Gods Go.  Young German girl, on vacation in Greece with her jerk boyfriend, meets up with Hermes.  As in, the actual god Hermes.  They also meet Dionysos, Apollo (who's a snobby bitch), Homer, and various nymphs.  German girl falls in love with Hermes, but she *doesn't* sleep with him (hello, 1970s gender politics); their big moment of intimacy is when she addresses him as "Du" (German familiar "you").  (Because the heroine had slept with jerk boyfriend, Apollo sneers at her for being a slut, the author replaying the old Apollo/Hermes cult rivalry, firmly on Hermes's side.)  I'm torn between loving the sheer romance of the premise, and hating the heroine for being an idiot.  Seriously, who would turn down *Hermes*?  But the wonder of it is that the gods are treated as *real*, powerful beings, who care about and interact with humans.  It's wacked out and unintentionally hilarious and weirdly moving all at the same time.

That reminds me of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Fantasy Lover, where the heroine falls in love with a 2,000 year old pleasure slave named Julian of Macedon who is the half-mortal son of Aphrodite. So She and Eros and Psyche and...some other Greek God/desses, can't remember who, show up at various points in the story.

...yes, it is a romance. But a GOOD romance. Cheesy Like, with a plot and likable characters and stuff.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #65: March 09, 2008, 06:40:33 pm »

It was published years before the rest; it was the very first one.  I don't know if it's technically a part of the series (I saw Amazon didn't list it as such, which confused me), but if not it's only a technicality, IIRC.

It's definitely set in the same universe. It's a lot better than the other ones IMO, possibly because it has less "stuff" in it. ML seems to do this thing where she tosses in whatever bits of research catch her fancy, and it all turns into a jumble. Anyway, the latest book in the series is apparently based on "puss in boots," I haven't read it. "The Wizard of London" was one of the jumble ones, and seems to be a cross between A Midsummer Night's Dream and The Snow Queen. Or something. "Firebird" was pretty good though.
QuercusRobur
Journeyman
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 05:18:37 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Irish Traditionalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #66: March 15, 2008, 06:35:00 pm »

I was just wondering what fiction books you've discovered that are either Pagan-themed or have some Pagan elements to them.  They seem (to me, at least) to be few and far between.  So I'm curious to see what anyone else has found.  Smiley

Has anyone mentioned Terry Pratchett yet?  Great books, a good few with witches in, which include Magrat who has lots of expensive jewellry but is not really effective as a witch.

Don't bother to watch the Sky versions - they irritated the h**l out of me by telling everyone about the plot every fifteen minutes.  My boyfriend carried on watching it, but I went and read the phone manual as I had a problem to sort out and it was more interesting.
dartxni
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 28, 2010, 09:47:31 pm

Religion: Searching

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #67: March 18, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »

"Dies the Fire" by SM Stirling.
I really enjoyed this book. It begins with the improbable premise that all the electricity in the world has suddenly stopped working, as well as combustion engines. Whether its aliens, a science experiment gone wrong, or the intentional intervention of the gods is never explained. Understandably, human society and culture as we know it collapses. One of its main protagonists is a Wiccan High Priestess who inadvertently converts a large portion of what used to Oregon into what is referred to as the Old Religion (well, the new Old Religion.)

The author isn't a pagan himself, but he researched and talked to a pagan, and although I'm no expert, everything he wrote sounded pretty well done.

I think its a pretty entertaining account of what a modern society with a neo-pagen state sponsored religion might be like.

Sequels: The Protectors War, A Meeting at Corvallis
and new series, The Sunrise Lands.
sefiru
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #68: March 18, 2008, 06:51:12 pm »

"Dies the Fire" by SM Stirling.
I really enjoyed this book. It begins with the improbable premise that all the electricity in the world has suddenly stopped working, as well as combustion engines. Whether its aliens, a science experiment gone wrong, or the intentional intervention of the gods is never explained. Understandably, human society and culture as we know it collapses.

I haven't read this, but I've read the series which, I think, involves the other side of the "event," in which the entire island of Nantucket is transported to the year 1000 BCE. Stirling is a pretty good writer, so I can imagine I could enjoy the above series (if I could ignore the blatant violation of the laws of physics. If the electromagnetic force really did change its nature, the collapse of civilization would be the least of our worries.)

Anyway, check out "Island in the Sea of Time" and its sequels, they're fun. They include the builders of Stonehenge, Babylonian philosophers, the Olmecs (or somebody  Huh), and the original Odysseus.
dartxni
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 28, 2010, 09:47:31 pm

Religion: Searching

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #69: March 18, 2008, 07:11:55 pm »

I haven't read this, but I've read the series which, I think, involves the other side of the "event," in which the entire island of Nantucket is transported to the year 1000 BCE. Stirling is a pretty good writer, so I can imagine I could enjoy the above series (if I could ignore the blatant violation of the laws of physics. If the electromagnetic force really did change its nature, the collapse of civilization would be the least of our worries.)

Anyway, check out "Island in the Sea of Time" and its sequels, they're fun. They include the builders of Stonehenge, Babylonian philosophers, the Olmecs (or somebody  Huh), and the original Odysseus.

Please do ignore the blatant violation of the laws of physics. Stirling as much as admits, through the bafflement of his characters, that something absolutely impossible has happened.

I have just begun Island and I am enjoying it.
sefiru
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #70: March 18, 2008, 07:31:57 pm »

Please do ignore the blatant violation of the laws of physics. Stirling as much as admits, through the bafflement of his characters, that something absolutely impossible has happened.

I have just begun Island and I am enjoying it.

I'll probably pick it up sometime. Military SF isn't usually my thing, but I'll read it if it's decent.

BTW, have you read "There Will Be Dragons" and its sequels? (by John Ringo, I believe.) Involving the collapse of a very futuristic society to a medieval level, leaving behind genetically engineered elves and Dragons, AI "demons", and "magic" via the still available technology. I found it highly entertaining.
GreenOne
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 22, 2008, 02:44:17 pm

Religion: Personal, Ecclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #71: April 12, 2008, 12:12:36 pm »

I was just wondering what fiction books you've discovered that are either Pagan-themed or have some Pagan elements to them.  They seem (to me, at least) to be few and far between.  So I'm curious to see what anyone else has found.  Smiley
One of the most arresting for me was To See a Witch by Lynne Gessner.

"Nature does nothing uselessly." ~ Aristotle
KHarkless
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 24, 2011, 02:49:02 am

Religion: scientific pantheism, of sorts

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #72: April 20, 2008, 03:00:24 am »

Also, I forgot Emma Bull's _War for the Oaks_

Ooh, I like this one. Another good one that's vaguely similar is Terri Windling's The Wood Wife.

For people who like tarot and Jungian archetypes with their gods, read Tim Powers' Last Call. This is absolutely my favorite book; it's fantastic and very well-written and ties together a lot of concepts you wouldn't think would mesh well.

Um...an author I didn't like was Morgan Llywellyn, writing historical fiction about druids. The Greener Shore was particularly plotless and preachy, though YMMV depending on how slow you like your books. (I like them slow, but not that slow.)
Valkyriia
Journeyman
Last Login:August 13, 2011, 08:54:09 pm

Religion: solitary Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #73: July 09, 2008, 03:33:14 pm »

My personal favorites are:

"The Wild Wood" and "Greenmantle" by Charles de Lint

"The China Garden" by Liz Berry

and the "Circle of Three" series I read when I was in high school, by Isobel Bird.
Let's see, (running to grab her favroite author lists) there is P.C. Cast her Perthenon series and House of night. I read the first book in the HON series and was thrilled that the vampires were having full moon rituals.
 Cheyenne McCray has a Magic series, Forbidden Magic, Seduced by Magic, Wicked Magic, and Shadow Magic.
 Mindy Klasky~Witchcraft series
 Cate Tiernan~Sweep and Balefire~YA
 SRW~Witch's Night of Fear, Witch's Key to Terror, Witch's Night Out (sorry to mention her)~YA
 Laurie Faria Stolarz~Blue is for Nightmares series~YA
 Shirley Damsgaard~Witch mystery series
 Madelyn Alt~Witch mystery series
 Yasmine Galenorn~I think everything she writes is Pagan.
 Kelly McClymer~Salem Witch Tryouts, Competition's a Witch, She's a Witch Girl (unrealistic magic)~YA
 Lynne Ewing ~Daughter's of the Moon and Sisters of Isis(she mainly has the characters interacting with deities)~YA
 L.J Smith~The Secret Circle Trilogy~YA

Those are the only ones that come to mind.

dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #74: July 24, 2008, 09:09:31 pm »

Shirley Damsgaard~Witch mystery series
 Madelyn Alt~Witch mystery series

I highly recommend both series. I've read all the books. Shirley primarily discusses folk magic, while Madelyn's stuff is Wicca-based. Neither is 100% accurate, but the small liberties they take for the sake of an entertaining plot are reasonable, and don't make me want to throw the book across the room. Though Madelyn's unresolved love triangle just might!!

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)