The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 09, 2020, 04:45:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 09, 2020, 04:45:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Paganism and Buddhism - Thoughts and Observations Please  (Read 2939 times)
zeorin
Last Login:March 13, 2009, 09:11:54 pm
South Africa South Africa

Religion: Syncretic -- mainly Buddhist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 03, 2008, 12:04:37 pm »

Hello all,

I'm a bit new to this paganism thing. I had some passing interest when I was a teenager (I'm now 21), but it didn't quite get my attention as Buddhism and puberty did. Now I'm quite spiritually oriented, with an emphasis on a Buddhist world view (but a lot of other traditions as well, I figure they're all talking about the same thing, just from different perspectives; the longer I study and meditate, the more I feel this).

I wonder if there are any Pagans here who are also Buddhist or apply Buddhist concepts withing their Paganism, or have anything to say which can be pertinent to my new exploration.

At first I didn't think that the two were very compatible, but I've recently become more involved in Tibetan Buddhism, and they do use magic (sometimes: it's hard to say, because I suppose they're trying to rid themselves of attachment to the world; accomplishing magical change -- without care -- will probably attach you further to the world, but hey, what do I know?). Also there is evidence for them on occasion using mind-expanding substances (in Tantra, where they regard any type of energy as a tool that can be used to reach enlightenment), but that is another matter. The Buddha has said "With our thoughts we create the world". Thus I suppose that if you consciously and consistently thought certain thoughts (through ritual, ceremony, or perhaps pure force of will, or because you've trained your mind), your reality would start to reflect that. Can anyone see that making sense?

But basically, if there's anything a person who has an interest in Buddhism and recently developed an interest in Paganism/magic should know, I'd like to know it. Smiley

Thanks very much for any input!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 03, 2008, 03:52:17 pm »

Hello all,

I'm a bit new to this paganism thing. I had some passing interest when I was a teenager (I'm now 21), but it didn't quite get my attention as Buddhism and puberty did. Now I'm quite spiritually oriented, with an emphasis on a Buddhist world view (but a lot of other traditions as well, I figure they're all talking about the same thing, just from different perspectives; the longer I study and meditate, the more I feel this).

I wonder if there are any Pagans here who are also Buddhist or apply Buddhist concepts withing their Paganism, or have anything to say which can be pertinent to my new exploration.

I have been using several Buddhist concepts in my spirituality for a long time. Buddhism and Paganism can work together to a certain extent and it also depends on what tradition of Paganism you are interested it.

I have used Buddhist meditation since I was fairly young and I still use them today. I also use Buddhist concepts on altruism and their meditation techniques to control and lose my angry, hate, frustrations, and attachments.

They can work together on several different levels, the main one I focus on is their caring for the Earth and all creatures on the planet. I am a vegetarian, I try to do charitable works, I generally just try to take care of the planet.

This is just how I have added some of the Buddhist concept and lifestyles into my life, other may do it differently. I hope this is what you were looking for.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 04, 2008, 03:26:39 am »

Hello all,

I'm a bit new to this paganism thing.
Welcome, Zeorin!

I've not much experience with buddhism. I tried a bit of basic zen meditation, but it really didn't work for me, too abstract.

But in paganism you can combine a lot of things if you have good reasons, so I'm interested in reading whatever should come out of this thread. Smiley

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Hannibal
Journeyman
Last Login:March 02, 2010, 01:58:41 pm

Religion: Kemetic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 04, 2008, 10:22:28 am »

Hello all,
I'm a bit new to this paganism thing.

Hey Zeorin welcome to the Cauldron.

"Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas."-Emiliano Zapata Salazar. Translation-It is better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
 ego mos reperio a via vel ego mos planto unus Translation-I will find a way or I will make one
http://dragcave.net/user/Hannibal
NeedleSpell
Apprentice
Last Login:January 06, 2009, 07:42:42 pm

Religion: Wandering Solitary Eclectic Pagan Witch with Buddhist leanings

Blog entries (8)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 05, 2008, 03:49:48 pm »

Hello all,

At first I didn't think that the two were very compatible, but I've recently become more involved in Tibetan Buddhism, and they do use magic (sometimes: it's hard to say, because I suppose they're trying to rid themselves of attachment to the world; accomplishing magical change -- without care -- will probably attach you further to the world, but hey, what do I know?). Also there is evidence for them on occasion using mind-expanding substances (in Tantra, where they regard any type of energy as a tool that can be used to reach enlightenment), but that is another matter. The Buddha has said "With our thoughts we create the world". Thus I suppose that if you consciously and consistently thought certain thoughts (through ritual, ceremony, or perhaps pure force of will, or because you've trained your mind), your reality would start to reflect that. Can anyone see that making sense?

But basically, if there's anything a person who has an interest in Buddhism and recently developed an interest in Paganism/magic should know, I'd like to know it. Smiley

Thanks very much for any input!

I have recently begun to add Buddhist philosophies to my Pagan practice. I've only been at it for a month or so, but I am VERY into the idea. This is why I prefer an eclectic path. Plenty of room for compatible philosophies!

I'll have to start a spiritual blog or something to see how this all goes in the future.   Smiley

"For behold, I have been with thee from the beginning and I am that which is attained at the end of desire."
~Charge of the Goddess

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
~Buddha
MakaniAhi
Apprentice
Last Login:March 01, 2009, 01:26:21 am

Religion: Hawaiian Panentheism

Aloha kākou!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 11, 2008, 12:23:47 am »

What I've gained from Buddhism is the concept that all growth is within us, not without.

However, I have some problems with asceticism.  It's one of my big problems with Christianity, also.  I don't look at life as a training ground to be rewarded in the hereafter.  The way I see it, we have senses, desires, capabilities that are designed for this brane-world or existence as a way to manifest God (or the Ultimate God, as my son puts it).  We have these senses and abilities to use, not to overcome.  But where Buddhism comes in for me is reminding me not to get too attached to this stuff, whether physical or emotional or even spiritual.

It's okay for me to have a billion dollars but I would need to remember that even though it's there for me to enjoy, it's still just stuff.

I love the Dalai Lama, though.  Even looking at his pictures, he's a man filled with joy, even in his trying times.

A hui hou~
Makaniahi

A'a i ka hula.  Waiho i ka hilahila i ka hale.  (Dare to dance.  Leave embarrassment at home.)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 11, 2008, 04:24:00 am »

However, I have some problems with asceticism.  It's one of my big problems with Christianity, also.  I don't look at life as a training ground to be rewarded in the hereafter.  The way I see it, we have senses, desires, capabilities that are designed for this brane-world or existence as a way to manifest God (or the Ultimate God, as my son puts it).  We have these senses and abilities to use, not to overcome.  But where Buddhism comes in for me is reminding me not to get too attached to this stuff, whether physical or emotional or even spiritual.

It's okay for me to have a billion dollars but I would need to remember that even though it's there for me to enjoy, it's still just stuff.
That's my quarrel with it also. I agree with the teachings of buddhism that you shouldn't attach yourself too much to anything material, but for different reasons. Not because I think matter and desire itsself are bad, but because everything is in constant change and if you cling to something you go against the nature of things.

However I completly disagree on the path of deattaching yourself from the mundane as a whole, I'm looking for a path that is teaching trust and connection and joy. That you learn to appreciate the world with all its constantly changing matter.

I've tried some forms of budhistic meditation, but they don't work for me. When ever I try to become empty I just become more receptive of what is going on around me.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: March 11, 2008, 08:00:02 am »

Makaniahi, please leave the quote code in your responses, like I have above.  Even if it's to the first post (which is who I'm assuming you're replying to).  Thank you.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 11, 2008, 09:36:52 am »

I've tried some forms of budhistic meditation, but they don't work for me. When ever I try to become empty I just become more receptive of what is going on around me.

That is basically what emptiness is... unfortunatly the Buddhist word for it doesnt translate over to english well. When they talk about emptiness, they are talking about emptying yourself of all external influence, perception, ect and finding your true self. The emptiness, is the emptiness between thought....

That being said, I am not very good at it. I am a thinker and my mind is constantly moving, but every once in a while when I do achieve it, it is wonderful.

From what I understand, the point is not to completely detach yourself from the mundane, but to lose your preception of the mundane and to see what is truly there.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
NeedleSpell
Apprentice
Last Login:January 06, 2009, 07:42:42 pm

Religion: Wandering Solitary Eclectic Pagan Witch with Buddhist leanings

Blog entries (8)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 11, 2008, 11:11:49 am »

What I've gained from Buddhism is the concept that all growth is within us, not without.

I love the Dalai Lama, though.  Even looking at his pictures, he's a man filled with joy, even in his trying times.

A hui hou~
Makaniahi

I completely agree. Just studying the basics has made me feel more at peace. Smiley

I'm hoping to see the Dalai Lama next time he's in town! Smiley

"For behold, I have been with thee from the beginning and I am that which is attained at the end of desire."
~Charge of the Goddess

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
~Buddha

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)