The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 15, 2019, 12:46:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2019, 12:46:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cat-Lovers! Tell us about your cats.  (Read 31635 times)
Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 30, 2007, 12:59:15 pm »

That's a wonderful thing that you're doing. Smiley

Tinker is...a special girl.  Undecided  Not the brightest bulb, but she's very outgoing and affectionate.  She stands on her hind legs when she wants to play and walks on her hind legs when she gets excited.  She has a compulsive need to lick plastic bags and almost always smells like she's been rolling in her litterbox.  Tinker loves to snuggle and has a passion for food that no other cat in our house can rival.  We tend to call her "The Tinker Cat."

- OpenHands

Our cats must be related!  Tongue Stewie is the same way - she is gorgeous, but not too smart. I prefer the line from the TV show "Family Guy" in reference to her: "Why are the beautiful ones always so dumb?" And she will lick plastic for 15-20 minutes straight before getting tired of it. She will never eat it, just repetitive licking.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Laura Stamps
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 30, 2007, 06:26:15 am

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 30, 2007, 03:15:57 pm »

We have 8 cats.  We're not *officially* in feral cat rescue...but...

Unfortunately, Black Kitty was killed by a car about 2 days after the babies were born.  We found the nest a day or so later.  They kittens were almost dead, and the vet didn't think they'd make it, but we managed to nurse them back to life.  That was really an experience.  I learned that kittens don't know how to poop or pee on their own, and that their mom has to stimulate them to do so.  What fun.  Anyway, they're all grown up now and are the most affectionate cats on the planet.  They believe I'm their mother.  Lola is neurotic and won't leave our bedroom.

First, I want to say these are all wonderful, wonderful kitty stories in this thread.  I just love them all, and have spent a lot of time oohing and aahing as I read through them.  Such an outpouring of kitty-love here!!!

Second, that is a magnificient thing you did with those 2-day old kittens.  Two summers ago I had 4 litters in one month in my feral colony before I got them all fixed, so I have seen many kitties that young and younger.  In fact, my husband got a real laugh the night one cat I swore couldn't carry kittens to full term (because she had lost her first litter) started having 5 kittens right in front of my sliding glass door.  And I was shouting "Oh, no! Oh, no! Oh, no!...don't do that!...not here!"  Waving my arms and everything, but she didn't listen of course, and then she scruffed them and carried them all into the forest 24 hours later.

But you had to bottle feed your two kittens and raise them and that is tough.  I've always been lucky to have a mommy kitty around to handle all the hard instinctive kitten training/how-to-poop stuff for me.  As for Lola it is pretty common for bottle-fed kittens to be kind of neurotic.  There is some nutrient in the mother's milk that helps them grow up mentally stable.  It also helps them fight disease better.  I have known plenty of neurotic bottle-fed kitties that were abandoned when they were just a day or so old.  One was very sweet and affectionate but would pee all over you every time you picked her up, a high-anxiety response for sure.  She was also a nut...she loved to catch flies (which is terrible because they carry insect/worm eggs on them), and she would hold the buzzing fly in her mouth for 10 minutes before swallowing (usually right before we got to her).  But it was so funny to see her sitting in the window with her eyes bugged out and her cheeks blown up and mouth buzzing.

I had a cat rescue friend who said you can never be around cats and be in a bad mood.  They are so goofy, sooner or later they will have you laughing, and it is true.

Laura Stamps
"Occult Novels for Women"
http://www.KittyfeatherPress.blogspot.com
OpenHands
Master Member
Last Login:January 11, 2012, 09:52:34 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 30, 2007, 04:56:13 pm »

Our cats must be related!  Tongue Stewie is the same way - she is gorgeous, but not too smart. I prefer the line from the TV show "Family Guy" in reference to her: "Why are the beautiful ones always so dumb?" And she will lick plastic for 15-20 minutes straight before getting tired of it. She will never eat it, just repetitive licking.

That's exactly how Tinker does it too.  She closes her eyes and will just lick and lick and lick and lick...  Perhaps our cats were separated at birth.  Wink

- OpenHands

- OpenHands

"Gardens are not made by singing, "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: March 30, 2007, 06:51:08 pm »

As for Lola it is pretty common for bottle-fed kittens to be kind of neurotic.  There is some nutrient in the mother's milk that helps them grow up mentally stable. 

The weird thing about Lola is that she was perfectly fine until about 2 years ago.  Then for no reason we've ever been able to figure out, she just...snapped.  She's OK as long as she doesn't have to leave our bedroom.  Very occasionally, she'll creep to the top of the stairs, then run back down the hall.  She's paranoid, but still very loving and loves to be petted and is very sweet.  But having the litter box behind the sofa in my bedroom -- not so much fun.   Tongue

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Ashirin
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 16, 2007, 10:32:58 pm

Religion: Eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 30, 2007, 09:41:32 pm »

I have been fortunate to have cats all my life, and love to hear about other Pagan's cats!

I have one cat, Malachai. He's almost 2, and is your stereotypical black cat, except that he was born to a siamese mama, so he has the siamese shape to him, he's just black.  He's a great cat, all and all, although my SO's got him trained, I think, to think he's a dog. *makes a face*

And like was mentioned before me, he has this fascination with plastic. He tries to eat it though, sometimes, so I have to be careful he doesn't get any.

Every night when I go to bed, he has to come let me give the royal petting, then he curls up at my feet and goes to sleep.  If he thinks I'm up too late, he'll annoy me to pieces until I just go to bed.  He does the same thing in the morning, if he thinks I need to be up, he'll play with the blinds in my bedroom until I get annoyed enough to get up. *laugh*
Laura Stamps
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 31, 2007, 02:33:45 pm »

The weird thing about Lola is that she was perfectly fine until about 2 years ago.  Then for no reason we've ever been able to figure out, she just...snapped.  She's OK as long as she doesn't have to leave our bedroom.  Very occasionally, she'll creep to the top of the stairs, then run back down the hall.  She's paranoid, but still very loving and loves to be petted and is very sweet.  But having the litter box behind the sofa in my bedroom -- not so much fun.   Tongue

All of my cats can see spirits, faeries, you name it.  I remember one really highstrung cat of mine suddenly jumped up 4 feet to knock a cat statue (that a relative had sent me from Mexico) on the floor where it shattred beyond repair.  After that the cat was fine and never did that again.  Now this relative is known for having negative energy on her where I am concerned, and I have had to get rid of other things she has sent me, because they are just charged with too much bad mojo.  I guess my cat saw the bad spirit on that statue and got rid of that one for me. 

So maybe Lola is like my cats and can see spirits.  And maybe she saw a negative one in the rooms she won't go into, and it scared her so badly she decided the only safe place for her to hang out is in your bedroom.  Maybe (just to humor Lola) you could do a cleansing in your house with sage and a house cleansing spell.

Although, maybe Lola saw a ghost.  The best way I have heard to get rid of a ghost is to place pairs of shoes in each of those rooms.  Make sure one shoe points one way and the other shoe points the other way.  They say ghosts are very literal and will become so confused they will give up and leave after a few days.  Another thing to do is to scatter grains of dry rice on the floor every night in the rooms Lola won't enter.  Then sweep it up the next morning, and that night scatter more.  Being literal, the ghosts will try to count all the grains and give up and leave after a few nights.  Also hang a red ribbon over every window and door of your house.  Ghosts hate red and won't enter once they leave. 

Blessed be!

Laura Stamps
Laura Stamps
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: March 31, 2007, 02:40:20 pm »

We got Ramyeon at the local market, from a pickup marked "DOG CAT CHICKEN DUCK - YOUR CHOICE ₩7,000."  Cheesy

And Tuesday is his first birthday!  Cheesy  We're going to buy him a baby bit of steak to celebrate.

Ramyeon is so gorgeous...what lovely and unusual markings for a tuxedo cat!  Thanks for the photos.  He is precious!! 

Happy Birthday, Ramyeon.  I know he LOVED your steak present.  I can just see him now shaking it in his mouth like he chased it down and caught it all by himself.   Grin 

Laura Stamps
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: March 31, 2007, 02:41:17 pm »

Although, maybe Lola saw a ghost. 

Interesting ideas.

There's no question there are ghosts in the house.  But they are cat ghosts.  All the humans have had contact with them, and the other cats seem to be OK with them.

Maybe we'll try a cleansing -- to humor Lola.

Maybe she's just...odd.   Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Adele
Master Member
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:27:54 pm

Religion: Hellenic pagan

Image courtesy of iconomicon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: April 02, 2007, 02:30:09 am »

Hubby and I had our first cat, Powder (short for powdered doughnut) for 4 years.  She passed around Christmas from a virulent mouth cancer.  About the same time she was ill, a little orange fuzzball took up residence on our porch and we have since adopted the little tribble. 

He's been with us for around 4-5 months now and not quite a year old...and we had thought he was going to be a smallish to medium size cat.  I have a sneaking suspicion we're wrong since the only trait he doesn't have for a Maine Coon is the hair tufts on the tops of his ears. *headdesk*  And he's already passed the size Powder was.  He does have the most beautiful tail though. Cheesy It is like a giant duster and so very soft.

He got the tribble reference because he likes to hide under stuff but he doesn't just crawl under, he turns into a puddle of orange fur and sort of oozes under things (and off of things).  He's also not the world's greatest jumper-upper.  He has a tendency right now of misjudging how high he has to get and never *quite* makes it gracefully to the top.  Landings are more like "Oh bugger, my back end is all hanging off here." Roll Eyes

"Say what you mean. Bear witness. Iterate."
       -John M. Ford, Making Light comment
ShadowcatCM
Adept Member
Last Login:July 16, 2009, 05:14:58 pm

Religion: witchy Pagan - quite eclectic

Every action, even inaction, affects someone.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 02, 2007, 01:39:57 pm »

I'll step up here and join the ranks of the cat nuts. Smiley

I have four cats, each with a story and a weird personality of their own. Wink

Darkover's White Star was my first cat. I got him as a four week old kitten out of a farm over in the Mokelumne Hills. His mother's owner didn't want the kittens. Figures. I bottle-fed him until he was old enough to be weaned. He is ten years old now, and quite fat. His breed is American Shorthair (possibly a mix - we're not sure. No idea who Papa was). You'll oftentimes hear me swear that his father was a wild cat - he's got an attitude the size of Jupiter. The planet, not the god. He's an indoor/outdoors cat. He used to be more outdoors than indoors, but now it's the reverse. He has arthritis in his foreleg from a nasty bite when he was seven or eight that didn't heal quite right. (It was a catfight with a feral cat.) His favorite thing to do is drink running water rather daintly from the sink faucet. Heh. He's taken to asking for water from the bathtub faucet too!

Grey Thunderstorm was my second, and adopted only two months after Star came to live with us. Thunder is the same age as Star now - ten years old. She came from a local animal adoption agency. Thunder is a Russian Blue mix, and she's got the personality to match. She's quite skittish. Her nickname is Spook, because she spooks at everything! Her favorite thing to do is either hide under the sofa, or sleep right next to me, under the blankets. Oftentimes, she'll roll over on her belly for a nice belly rub. She loves that. She is an indoors only cat.

Rohan has quite the interesting history. He was originally named Coco, but when we got him, I renamed him Rohan, which means sandalwood in Swahili. My father's ex-girlfriend got him from another local agency, as a kitten. He's seven or eight years old now. When they broke up, the woman left him behind. We graciously took him into our little Pride, attitude and all. He's half Siamese, so he's a royal brat. He generally doesn't let people pet him, and will attack my ankles when I am late with his food. However, our little Snowshoe (that's what he is - half Siamese mixes with certain markings are called Snowshoes) has a sweet side. When he feels like it, he'll climb on one of us and DEMAND head rubs and chin stratches. Wink His favorite thing to do is wrestle with Penda's Delight - our fourth cat. He is mostly an indoors only cat, though we let him out sometimes to nibble on grass.

Penda's Delight was adopted approximately six years ago as a nine month old kitten from the same adoption agency that Thunder came from. Penda means love in Swahili. His name was inspired by the way he behaved in the store cages. I was volunteering for the adoption agency, and caring for various cats and kitten in a store display. Penda was one of a large litter - all infested with ringworm. He was always yelling when he saw me, and he loved to climb on my shoulder and bury his head in my neck. Naturally, I just had to adopt him. Wink Penda is a mutt - no one can figure out what the heck he is. Even his fur is special. He's a classic tabby with bicolored fur. Note I said bicolored fur, not bicolored coat (though he does have a bicolored coat - he's a tuxedo cat). Of what blackish fur he has, the lower half of a fur strand is white; the upper half is black. As a result of the fur, he appears to be a chocolate tuxedo. Penda is very, very good friends with Rohan, our Snowshoe-Siamese. They're often found together, wrestling or cleaning each other. (Yes, they even clean each other's ears!) Penda was diagnosed a year ago with a weak heart murmur. He's doing fine, not on any medications yet. He does sleep more than a normal cat does, though. He is an indoors only cat. (And, yes, we got rid of the ringworm he had when we got him. Wink )

So that's my Pride. I'll see if I can't dig up some pictures later. Smiley

Shadowcat

Shadowcat Cloudmoon
Chat Host at The Cauldron
Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #25: April 02, 2007, 01:48:05 pm »

All of my cats can see spirits, faeries, you name it.  I remember one really highstrung cat of mine suddenly jumped up 4 feet to knock a cat statue (that a relative had sent me from Mexico) on the floor where it shattred beyond repair.  After that the cat was fine and never did that again.  Now this relative is known for having negative energy on her where I am concerned, and I have had to get rid of other things she has sent me, because they are just charged with too much bad mojo.  I guess my cat saw the bad spirit on that statue and got rid of that one for me. 

I have a wee folk, a good neighbor, in my home. It's teeny goblin who changes form and color depending on his mood (I've seen him once in broad daylight - he had orangey-brown long hair, and looked similar in form to a cat-like, rabbit-like chihuahua. But not with an animal face). My girls play with him constantly! He plays chase with them - I'll be on the computer and see a whitish blur whizz by, followed closely by my two cats. The blur will disappear through the (closed) front door, and the girls, following closely, almost always run head-first into the closed door.  Roll Eyes  Tongue The girls like him, so I put up with his stealing, theiving ways by giving him food.
Laura Stamps
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: April 02, 2007, 02:33:48 pm »

Hubby and I had our first cat, Powder (short for powdered doughnut) for 4 years.  She passed around Christmas from a virulent mouth cancer.  About the same time she was ill, a little orange fuzzball took up residence on our porch and we have since adopted the little tribble. 

He's been with us for around 4-5 months now and not quite a year old...and we had thought he was going to be a smallish to medium size cat.  I have a sneaking suspicion we're wrong since the only trait he doesn't have for a Maine Coon is the hair tufts on the tops of his ears. *headdesk*  And he's already passed the size Powder was.  He does have the most beautiful tail though. Cheesy It is like a giant duster and so very soft.

He got the tribble reference because he likes to hide under stuff but he doesn't just crawl under, he turns into a puddle of orange fur and sort of oozes under things (and off of things).  He's also not the world's greatest jumper-upper.  He has a tendency right now of misjudging how high he has to get and never *quite* makes it gracefully to the top.  Landings are more like "Oh bugger, my back end is all hanging off here." Roll Eyes

I know exactly what you mean about Maine Coons, and if yours is like mine he will never be graceful.  Mine loved to jump off the railing onto the chair to eat, had to do it every time, which he did for almost 2 years.  And he missed the chair and wiped out almost every time, frightening the we-willies out of the others cats, because when a Maine Coon crashes on the floor...wow!...he makes the kind of noise a dog would.  Mine weighed about 40 pounds, and he wasn't even 2 years old yet (would have been in June).  And you are exactly right.  When Maine Coons are kittens they look just like tribbles! 

Unfortunately, like your Powder my beloved Maine Coon (his name was Dandelion...he was swirling calico-colored) passed out of this realm almost 2 weeks ago.  I like to think he was just a cat faery returning to Faeryland, and even though I know he is blissfully happy where he is now, I miss him terribly.  He too had cancer.   Cry

Laura Stamps
disillusioned
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 11:13:36 am

Religion: Celtic Polytheist

I didn't do it.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: April 02, 2007, 04:17:35 pm »

My husband and I are lovingly owned by three cats.  They are...
Puma (this pic doesn't do her pretty black coat justice, but I'm not at home at the mo')
Bug (my sensitive little girl who's suffering hayfever right now, poor thing)
Salami (whom I'd usually show in one of his goofier moments, because he's a clown, but he looks so handsome here)

They're indoor, for the most part.  We have a 2nd floor balcony where they can go out and sun themselves and watch squirrels, etc.  Salami was an outdoor cat when we found him living under the deck of our old house, but has transitioned to being inside 99% of the time, since we've moved to a place much closer to the highway.  Not to mention sightings of coyotes and mountain lions in our vicinity.  The times he goes out into the patch of grass we have, he puts on his "goin' outside collar with tags" and is supervised by one of his humans.

Out beyond ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing
There is a field:
I'll meet you there. - Rumi
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: April 02, 2007, 05:05:05 pm »

I have been fortunate to have cats all my life, and love to hear about other Pagan's cats!

I've had a few over the years, but my current is my favorite. He's very attached to my 14 year old dog and will prolly be heartbroken when the dog goes. The cat is Squidy and is 5.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #29: April 02, 2007, 06:03:00 pm »

I've had a few over the years, but my current is my favorite. He's very attached to my 14 year old dog and will prolly be heartbroken when the dog goes. The cat is Squidy and is 5.

That is unspeakably cute. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)