The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2022, 05:37:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2022, 05:37:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What are your favorite Talismans?  (Read 19275 times)
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #30: July 10, 2007, 06:50:16 pm »

Anyhoot, now I'm curious about how everyone defines talismans. I didn't actually charge the Venus, just cleansed her and put her on with the idea that she was going to be the symbol of the Goddess being with me and protecting me. Some things I like to sit down and actually charge (usually spell items), but most things I just cleanse and sort of use for whatever purpose I'm intending it for, and let the action of using it do the charging. Any opinions on that idea? I'm still very much trying to figure out what's right for me, and I'm always interested in other's opinions.

I'll bite, since your post actually reminded my eternally scattered brain of something else.
I've never really considered the Tris a talisman, just something I always wear. It was never specifically charged or anything, way back when, and certainly not in the same way or for the same purpose as a certain other neck ornament in my house. Whether the Tris counts as a talisman now, after 9 years or so of continuous wear... I've never even thought about, but given my personal theory of magic (as in what works for me) very possibly I guess.

Clear as mud? lol

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

ant
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 18, 2010, 06:44:50 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: no subscriptions

no ant pic =(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: July 13, 2007, 11:53:58 pm »

I have two I like, I have a necklace with a carneilian tied on in these little chinese rope knots, it's made of green string like stuff tightly wound with some pagan knots tying these little 8 sided clear jade beads which have some kind of symbol on which I havn't worked out yet, and it has these two little beads which hang down your back which sits directly opposite the carneilan on the other side of the solar plexus center.

that's my hippy trippy one, and the other one is a GER rune hand carved into serpintine

Smiley

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: July 14, 2007, 02:30:10 am »

pagan knots

I'm sorry, but I have to ask.  Does anyone know what a "pagan knot" might be?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #33: July 14, 2007, 08:31:23 am »

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess some sort of Celtic knot, perhaps a triquerta.  The triquerta in particular seems to get associated with certain kinds of Paganism.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #34: July 14, 2007, 10:36:10 am »

Isn't there something like a 4 pointed version of the triquetra that is sometimes called a witches knot? (one of those vague nagging half remembered things...)

Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #35: July 14, 2007, 10:48:25 am »

Isn't there something like a 4 pointed version of the triquetra that is sometimes called a witches knot? (one of those vague nagging half remembered things...)

Is this what you are thinking of:
Witches Knot

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #36: July 14, 2007, 11:00:16 am »

Is this what you are thinking of:
Witches Knot

That's the one, thanks Oce Smiley
No idea if that's what MI is after tho lol

ETA I had to go feed an apparently starving Spawn so I didn't get a chance to find a pic - Oce is my hero of the morning Smiley

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #37: July 14, 2007, 11:22:35 am »

That's the one, thanks Oce Smiley
No idea if that's what MI is after tho lol

No, I meant this, from a post from Ant, upthread a little ways:

I have a necklace with a carneilian tied on in these little chinese rope knots, it's made of green string like stuff tightly wound with some pagan knots tying these little 8 sided clear jade beads which have some kind of symbol on which I havn't worked out yet

He was apparently referring to some kind of knot that can be actually tied, rather than a graphic symbol.  I think...  And i was wondering what qualities, exactly, make a knot "pagan".

(Sorry, I haven't figured out how to insert a quote with a linkback when the quoted post is too far upthread to appead in the topic summary.  Embarrassed  )

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #38: July 14, 2007, 11:26:52 am »

He was apparently referring to some kind of knot that can be actually tied, rather than a graphic symbol.  I think...  And i was wondering what qualities, exactly, make a knot "pagan".

No idea... seems I somehow missed his post  Undecided

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #39: July 14, 2007, 12:01:32 pm »

That's what I get for reading first thing in the morning; I missed the part where it was actually tied.  Sorry about that!  I have no idea, then.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #40: July 14, 2007, 12:04:42 pm »

That's what I get for reading first thing in the morning; I missed the part where it was actually tied.  Sorry about that!  I have no idea, then.

Maybe we both need more coffee! lol

I'm still clueless, on the one hand I'm wondering how a knot can be pagan, and on the other I'm thinking knots can be used in pagan ways - that's why it's called knot magic after all. Bottom line, I'm confusing myself thinking about it!  Huh
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 12:06:14 pm by Purplewitch, Reason: grrr typos.... » Logged

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 08, 2022, 10:59:47 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: July 14, 2007, 11:57:13 pm »

(Sorry, I haven't figured out how to insert a quote with a linkback when the quoted post is too far upthread to appead in the topic summary.  Embarrassed  )
When I need to do it, I hit reply/quote on the post I want to quote, trim the quote as I would for replying, copy all of what's left into my clipboard program, hit the back button on my browser (to "back out" instead of replying), then go respond to the post I want my actual reply to be to.  (IOW, SMF doesn't do it, Navigator, and other progs on my 'puter, do.)

Kludgy, but it does the job.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Seeker11
Apprentice
Last Login:October 07, 2007, 10:45:16 pm

Religion: Gwyddon

Judge me by my questions, not by my answers.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: July 16, 2007, 10:54:59 pm »

One very odd thing.  As a Wiccan Witch I adore pentacles.  But every time I wear one it brings poverty and bad luck to me, so I figure they are just not good luck for me.  Must be something that happened in one of my many past lives, I guess.   Undecided

Just a quick question, what type of pentacles are you wearing? Have you tried wearing one that isn't exactly the star, but still the triad-type charm? There was a gorgeous mother/maiden/crone charm I have that I found at a quaint little shop in the "big city" close by, and it actually seemed to bring peacefulness and the like to my otherwise uptight-ish ways! Also, try wearing a pentacle that isn't just the star with a circle; like the pentacle with a moon background, or with a stone in it that seems to bring you what you like/need/need but don't know you need. Hehe. If you do try any of my suggestions, let me know! I'd love to help in any way that I can.

Kendra

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)