The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 19, 2020, 11:40:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2020, 11:40:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: House Spirits?!?  (Read 9530 times)
catherine
Master Member
Last Login:November 08, 2013, 10:51:52 am
United States United States

Religion: temporarily unavailable, renovations in progress

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 09, 2008, 10:40:24 am »

So I am sending out a plea, to aid me in my task, does anybody else know of stories/mythology/fairy tales of house spirits/lare/wights/<insert relevant name here> who are tied to families rather than places?

I don't know if this fits the bill or not. But, I've had some sort of nature spirit with me since I was a very small child. She introduced herself to me when I was about 4 and has been with me ever since. When I first met her, she was living in the lilac bush that grew in my back yard. She has followed me my whole life. She is very protective of me. And usually very helpful.

I don't want to sound like a complete nut case, so I won't go into all of the things that she's done over the years. But, I will say that I love having her around and that I believe she loves me too.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

amandathehunter
Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2008, 08:01:40 pm

Religion: Reformed Celtic Reconstructionist

Saving the World, one Campaign at a time.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 09, 2008, 04:09:07 pm »

So I am sending out a plea, to aid me in my task, does anybody else know of stories/mythology/fairy tales of house spirits/lare/wights/<insert relevant name here> who are tied to families rather than places?

I have a similar question, actually. There's been a ghost or something of some type, that has been attached to my SO's family for some time. The family affectionately calls him "George" and he seems attached to children, especially when they are infants and toddlers. I've had multiple encounters with him, and in all of them he was very helpful to the baby, not necessarily to me, or other members of 'his' family. Only the children. I'd like to learn more about him, any advice?

"Give a man fire, he'll be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Origins Unknown
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: March 09, 2008, 07:34:55 pm »

Gypsy and Star Dust,

Please don't remove the long quote tag at the top of your replies as we require them for tracking the messages that were replied to.

Thanks!
Celtee
Cauldron staff

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: March 09, 2008, 07:51:55 pm »

I'll share here; no problem on that account. Smiley

My family's spirit, guardian, guide, <insert term here> is a tall Native American male. He has been with us for years and seems to be most predominant when a family member is seriously ill. The first time I remember hearing about him was when I was about 5 and my dad had collapsed at a church temple where he was doing some work. This fellow, and two others, showed up to help and/or to reassure my son's grandmother that my dad would be ok...she saw him/them then and he was dressed all in white.

Fast forward to when I was 30 and my son's grandmother was seriously ill from daily radiation treatments. I saw and conversed with him several times during that 5 week time period. He would "stop by" regularly to check on her and see how she was doing. The last time I saw him was two or three days after her last treatment, it was 9.30 or 10 at night, he stopped in the hallway in front of her bedroom door, was dressed in full regalia and was checking up on her and wanted to know if she had anymore treatments. I told him then that "she's completely finished with treatment, she's just resting and sleeping so her body can begin to heal itself now, and she'll be all right." I got a warm feeling of relief and happiness from him and then he faded from sight.

My sister has dreamt about him a couple times. Only he's appeared to her in a military uniform from the era of World War Two.

I've no doubt that I or another in my family will see him again in the future. I've no idea who he is but I do know that when I or another in my family sees him, things will work out all right and everything will be the way it should be. Wink

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Gwynyvyr
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 26, 2009, 03:11:01 am

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 20, 2008, 03:09:37 pm »

Any help in my research would be gratefully recieved Cheesy

Asatru has the d'sir [desir] which is a female ancestral spirit that guides and protects the family. The d'sir is also who speaks for the deceased before the gods.
Some believe this spirit also helps with the family *luck* and if offended, by family member or outsider, can cause great harm to the family line.
Land wights are supposed to be specific to a certain area, however, I have heard accounts of a family land wight moving with the family to a new location. Isn't common, but the ones it happened to were very sure it was the same one.
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 21, 2008, 10:22:26 am »

I have a 'thing'; SC is what I call it, about the size of a large cat, and dark.  I've actually "tripped over it" in the dark thinking it was the cat and trying not to step on it causing me to trip over my own feet, only to later see the cat elsewhere and go huuuuuh  Huh

It's done one energetic 'mission' for me, which went badly.  Resulted in some very stressful and expensive repair work (blew the fuses in hubbs truck - in the garage necessitating towing, diagnostics and repairs)  I was mad and mentally made a statement I shouldn't have.  Something black and cat sized went *whooosh* out the bedroom door and down the stairs.

I haven't since been able to figure out how to ask in ways that will result in action- or maybe have become cautious in asking for action since the outcomes are a bit unpredictable. 

I still see it every now and again, I greet it, acknowledge it, oh hello there; but after all that happened before it's become a bit withdrawn.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
PNorwood
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 16, 2008, 09:30:17 am

Religion: Pagan

carrying magick into the new mellenium

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: April 21, 2008, 10:19:20 am »

I have a grughah friend who has been with me all my life and follows me wherever I move. Murphy is rather mischevious but he is a very funny old thing and  can be quite helpful when I lose place of something...but everything is a box to him. most of my friends have had the experience of interacting with him. He showed up at ritual once and drank half the chalice of wine (one of the rare times I used real wine) and got drunk and a drunk grughah  is something to see. because you rarely see him physically, usually you just hear his high little voice when he is telling you where something is "in a box...hehehehe" but that night he was so drunk he forgot and everyone saw him and we were all rolling on the floor laughing. since during a rite we only drink a sip and no one was drunk but Murphy (and he drank it before we touched any to but- we watched the wine shrink in the chalice during the rite) and almost every house I've livced in has had its own ghosts. Its nice having fey folk as friends.

healing, light and peace
White Raven
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: April 21, 2008, 11:56:51 am »

I have a grughah friend who has been with me all my life and follows me wherever I move. Murphy is rather mischevious but he is a very funny old thing and  can be quite helpful when I lose place of something...but everything is a box to him. most of my friends have had the experience of interacting with him. He showed up at ritual once and drank half the chalice of wine (one of the rare times I used real wine) and got drunk and a drunk grughah  is something to see. because you rarely see him physically, usually you just hear his high little voice when he is telling you where something is "in a box...hehehehe" but that night he was so drunk he forgot and everyone saw him and we were all rolling on the floor laughing. since during a rite we only drink a sip and no one was drunk but Murphy (and he drank it before we touched any to but- we watched the wine shrink in the chalice during the rite) and almost every house I've livced in has had its own ghosts. Its nice having fey folk as friends.

What is a grughah?  I googled it and found nothing.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 11:52:16 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: April 23, 2008, 01:34:17 am »

What is a grughah?  I googled it and found nothing.
PNorwood's spelling of it isn't a common one.  Try "gruagach".

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 23, 2008, 05:23:12 am »

PNorwood's spelling of it isn't a common one.  Try "gruagach".

Thanks, that worked much better. Smiley
SamB
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 18, 2008, 02:42:18 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: June 04, 2008, 09:05:16 pm »

The house I am in now has spirits and I know 101% no one has passed away in this house or from this house.
One old lady and man lived here since it was built.

They just do the usual footsteps and banging around.
Also slightly pull at my hair, imagine having your hair tied up then very gently pulling on it... yeah like that lol

So where they come from or who they are... no idea at all.

dyke-witch56
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 12, 2008, 01:31:16 pm

Religion: wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: June 09, 2008, 09:26:43 am »

Hello naimh

I seem to have an extra house cat now, since I moved into this apartment March 31 of last year. I already had 2 very physically present cats, but this little spirit cat seems to have been in residence already. I've only seen him out of the corner of my eye, mainly in the kitchen/dining room area, though occasionally in the living room. Saw him alot when I first moved in here, not so much nowadays. He doesn't seem to be positive or negative, just there, going about his cat business.

I do know that the young couple who lived here before me had a cat, as there was cat stuff left all over the apartment. Now whether they moved with a still living cat, abandoned the animal when they left, or the cat died before they moved, I have no idea. All I know is there is a cat spirit/ghost still here.

When I see him, I usually just say "hey there kittie" and go about my business. And so does he. He has never come up close to me, that I was aware of.

Leigh

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #27: June 09, 2008, 11:53:55 am »

Hello naimh

I seem to have an extra house cat now, since I moved into this apartment March 31 of last year. I already had 2 very physically present cats, but this little spirit cat seems to have been in residence already. I've only seen him out of the corner of my eye, mainly in the kitchen/dining room area, though occasionally in the living room. Saw him alot when I first moved in here, not so much nowadays. He doesn't seem to be positive or negative, just there, going about his cat business.

I do know that the young couple who lived here before me had a cat, as there was cat stuff left all over the apartment. Now whether they moved with a still living cat, abandoned the animal when they left, or the cat died before they moved, I have no idea. All I know is there is a cat spirit/ghost still here.

When I see him, I usually just say "hey there kittie" and go about my business. And so does he. He has never come up close to me, that I was aware of.

Leigh

We had one when we first moved in here, and it drove our dog crazy. It's gone now, though.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
dyke-witch56
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 12, 2008, 01:31:16 pm

Religion: wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: June 10, 2008, 09:36:16 am »

We had one when we first moved in here, and it drove our dog crazy. It's gone now, though.

The funny thing is he doesn't seem to bother my cats at all. They stare, but dont get either aggitated or hostile, like they normally do with strays that come up on the porch.

Leigh

EntrancedBySeshat
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 21, 2010, 05:19:45 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan/Taoist

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #29: February 12, 2010, 06:49:10 am »

I don't know how helpful this will because it's a friend of a relative kind of story, but I don't think either of them would've lied about it.  There was a family who had a small group of ghosts that moved with them.  There was one that guarded the outside of the house, and a couple that lived inside the house.  I think the family assumed that the spirits were their ancestors.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)