The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 13, 2021, 09:28:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2021, 09:28:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sealing a Spell  (Read 6889 times)
ginnflynn
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 15, 2009, 08:54:49 pm
United States United States

Religion: Generic Pagan/Panentheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 08, 2008, 07:38:42 pm »

I may have posted about this topic before on one of the previous boards, but it's still something I'm having trouble wrapping my head around. Any thoughts, opinions, experiences, etc that anyone might care to share would be most appreciated.

The thing is, I do spells, and I often seal them because I've read that it's a good idea, and it's one of those concepts that as soon as I heard about it, it just pinged me on some level as something I should do. So when I do a spell (charms, most often), I seal it by drawing an invoking pentagram or spiral over the charm as I do the "So mote it be" bit.

But in all honesty, when I seal a spell I don't really know what I'm doing, or why I'm doing it. It feels like an act that should resonate more for me, but it doesn't because I just don't know enough about the sealing of spells, and I've had a hard time finding much info about it. What's the idea behind sealing a spell? What magical purpose does it serve? Do you need to "unseal" a spell when it's over? What are some different ways of sealing a spell?

As I said, any and all feedback on this would be great! Thanks! Cheesy

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: March 08, 2008, 10:45:05 pm »

The thing is, I do spells, and I often seal them because I've read that it's a good idea, and it's one of those concepts that as soon as I heard about it, it just pinged me on some level as something I should do. So when I do a spell (charms, most often), I seal it by drawing an invoking pentagram or spiral over the charm as I do the "So mote it be" bit.

I honestly don't see much magical point to this myself, other than as a definite sign to your mind that you are DONE.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 09, 2008, 10:26:25 am »

I may have posted about this topic before on one of the previous boards, but it's still something I'm having trouble wrapping my head around. Any thoughts, opinions, experiences, etc that anyone might care to share would be most appreciated.

But in all honesty, when I seal a spell I don't really know what I'm doing, or why I'm doing it. It feels like an act that should resonate more for me, but it doesn't because I just don't know enough about the sealing of spells, and I've had a hard time finding much info about it. What's the idea behind sealing a spell? What magical purpose does it serve? Do you need to "unseal" a spell when it's over? What are some different ways of sealing a spell?

As I said, any and all feedback on this would be great! Thanks! Cheesy

if you have planned it out so that you know what the beginning middle and end of the spellwork is, and your intent is totally clear, I don't get why you need to seal it. Or what that even means. I've never heard of that. I say "so be it" or do whatever I've decided I'm going to do send out the energy of my intent sometimes. But if I already did something else earlier in the ritual for that purpose, lighting a candle or whatever, then I don't. I do open the circle, of course, and ground and center myself, when I'm done. I think that is necessary. Is that what you are thinking of?

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
tigerlily717
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2010, 01:07:27 pm

Religion: witch

ThinkPositively LiveIntentionally LoveGenerously

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 10, 2008, 03:14:55 pm »

ok, my take on this is, what feels right is right. magic is all about intuition.
we do spells on a whim sometimes, with or without magic circles, with or without gods or goddesses, indoors and out.
it's all about what feels right for you. what resonates inside you.
i personally almost never cast a circle. (pause for oohs and boos)
but not every which does, and sometimes i do, it all depends on what feels right to me at the time.
if you are a heavy ceremonial magician, feel free to go through all the motions,
but if your not, don't. your spell won't fail because you fail to seal it.
it will fail because you don't believe in what you are doing.
have confidence in your own power, not the power of one motion.
you are stronger all total than one seal.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 10, 2008, 07:30:26 pm »

I never did a ton of spells, but even when I did I never sealed them. I read about the "So Mote it Be" stuff and whatnot, but now that I think about it more, officially "sealing" a spell doesn't make much sense to me. The way I see it, that would almost be like hampering the energy you've put into it, if that makes sense.

I agree that it's probably more just to let *yourself* know that you are finished and to effectively snip off your energy output/connection, I suppose.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 10, 2008, 08:24:35 pm »

I agree that it's probably more just to let *yourself* know that you are finished and to effectively snip off your energy output/connection, I suppose.

That's how I've always done it.  I do in fact say or think something that could be considered a "sealer" twice during a spell.  Once when I finish outlining my intent for the energy, which I do while holding the energy, and once as you described, to "snip off" my output.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #6: March 10, 2008, 08:50:45 pm »

But in all honesty, when I seal a spell I don't really know what I'm doing, or why I'm doing it.

I think I might have an idea about that.  You spoke of making charms, which are static, embodied, spells.  Everyone else seems to be talking about active spells, where the energy is 'sent out'.  For that kind of spell, I can see sealing being unnecessary.  The magic is not being 'kept'.  It is being raised and released, and the act of releasing can be as little as a thought, a foot stomp, or just the sense that it is gone.

A static spell, however, involves attaching the magic to an object, to be released or drawn on in a specific way, and often by a specific person.  The object used is 'filled up' with the energy and then given to the person who will use it.  You may have instinctively come up with a way to make that process more secure and efficient.

Sealing it, in those circumstances, could be necessary to prevent the power from just coming out in a burst, if it is meant to give strength over a period of time, or expend itself for the wrong person.  You'd hate your good luck or healing to go to the mailcarrier from simple contact, or a charm to give you strength against a toxic co-worker actually give them strength because they happened to pick it up. 

Sealing the spell to its purpose, or to the person who is supposed to benefit from it, seems like a useful idea.  Especially if the person you make it for is not a practiced magical worker themselves.  If it is sealed to them then they don't even need to know how to draw on it - it will happen automatically.

I can see a few applications for sealing spells, and plan to give it some deeper thought.  I think you may have given me a new tool.  Thank you. Cheesy

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 10, 2008, 09:25:23 pm »

I can see a few applications for sealing spells, and plan to give it some deeper thought.  I think you may have given me a new tool.  Thank you. Cheesy
Absent

Brilliant as always.  That has some amazing potential.  I haven't ever made talismans and charms before precisely because I couldn't figure out how to prevent the exact problems you described, and had to create a workaround of improving my distance work, which has been partially effective.  Let me know if you figure anything really amazing out from this, please?

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)