The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 03, 2023, 06:21:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 03, 2023, 06:21:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What Experiences have brought You to Your Chosen Path?  (Read 11681 times)
SearchingTiger
Apprentice
Last Login:April 04, 2008, 09:55:39 pm
United States United States

Religion: Exploring Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 14, 2008, 09:13:13 am »

Im the same for those weird feelings, alot of the time do you find its more of a "knowing" rather than a feeling; like you get the general vibe of a situation or person but theres still some room for error?

I get that a lot it seems. I second guess myself too much. Although, the other day, I had made cookies, and I was eating a few near my altar. Suddenly it just came into my head "They want a cookie" So I left a cookie on my altar for the God and Goddess.

I dunno. I still cant decide if I am nuts or not, but I decided to go with the whim! I hope they liked it?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Sara Beth
Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2008, 05:37:04 pm

Religion: kitchen witchery / studying wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 14, 2008, 12:13:31 pm »

I always believed in the power of the earth and "mystic" type experiences. One thing led to another, and here I am!

This is closest to what my experience is.  I always believed in the earth as it's own power.  At young ages I was exposed to Buddhism, Christianity, and eventually paganism (at around 15).  It felt extraordinarily comfortable and free.  And I've identified as some form of pagan since.
Diamond NightShade
Master Member
Last Login:May 15, 2008, 06:55:38 pm

Religion: Nature-focused paganism, with many Christian influences perhaps.

Ah-ber: Sweet yet crazy... Yep that's me!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 14, 2008, 12:22:47 pm »

Im the same for those weird feelings, alot of the time do you find its more of a "knowing" rather than a feeling; like you get the general vibe of a situation or person but theres still some room for error?
Yes! That is pretty much it exactly. And I usually have the feeling that if there is error, it is because I -interpreted- it wrong, rather than just felt it all wrong... If you get me.

Alot of my friends I have no idea how they became friends, or what even made us connect, other than knowing they would be great people that would help me along my way. THat is especially true of one guy that I recently met about 5 or so months ago when this school year started. We just randomly started talking for no reason, other than because we were there early so none of our regular friends were there. And we just "clicked" I guess. And after all those months, he has become one of my closest friends so far, he is very protective of me and we talk endlessly. If anyone ever threatens me, says anything out of the way, whether just a mean statement, or something inappropriate, then he gets on them about it. (He scares people sometimes if he has to... He doesn't like to but if they harass his friends, he will scare them off...)

Anyways, most of my "feelings" about events or people turn out the way I feel they will. And like I said, if they don't I can look back and see something that I missed that would have been a dead giveaway...

"I would like an order of crazy, with a touch of confusion on the side, please! Thanks you!"
-Myself
sevenrabbits
Apprentice
Last Login:July 14, 2009, 09:01:00 am

Religion: Alla luce dei santi

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: March 16, 2008, 01:20:51 pm »

i was wondering what kind of experiences have brought you to your chosen path?
Nothing too terribly specific here, I just knew I didn't fit in with the majority of people where I grew up.

When I was a kid my parents decided not to push their beliefs on their children and let us decide for ourselves what felt right. (I have one older brother who to the best of my knowledge has no religious leanings one way or the other). I attended bible study after school when I was young but when I got older it just didn't seem to fit anymore. In fact I couldn't find a church/religion that felt right so I started searching (books, friends, the internet, etc.) and stumbled across paganism. I think what attracted me most was the freedom that seemed to be attached to it. There was no one set way of doing things, no one to tell me I was 'wrong' for what I believed. I have an ecclectic personality anyway and the freedom to choose how I worship and to be able to forge my own path is important to me. Then when I found out that there was an entire community of people out there who believed in the idea of going your own way...well, that just made things even better.  Grin

In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous. - Aristotle
Whiterabbit
Apprentice
Last Login:April 14, 2008, 07:19:18 pm
Sweden Sweden

Religion: Cottage/Green/Hedgewitch-mix

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 16, 2008, 03:17:26 pm »

I grew up with my grandparents, cause my mother died early in a car accident. I had no siblings. We moved a lot, my grandma could never settle down in one spot for any length of time. So I was pretty much a lonely child, sometimes bullied by my peers at school who thought I was "different". I had plenty of time to wander about on my own,and plenty of time to just think or daydream, and soon realized I felt guided by someone or something, and I decided to trust it and go with it. I loved to outdoors in the natural world, and I always had an affinity for animals and trees. My grandfather gave me books to read, plenty of fairy tales from all over the world, and I got pretty familiar with the underlying myths and hidden "hints" in old folk-tales that way. I felt both drawn to and called to a certain direction in life. I also predicted weather, found lost items and discovered  I had a bit of the "second sight". I had what I think was a "vision" of the goddess when I was 12, and decided I was a witch. I did some sort of self-initiation ritual age 13, and have tried to study and live the life of a Witch ever since. I'm probably one of those "born, not made", natural witches - or so says my friends, I don't know.
The one thing I'm certain about is that a spiritual life fills a great psychological need in me, and that I never was very interested in established religions.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 03:31:18 pm by Whiterabbit » Logged
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 16, 2008, 11:25:21 pm »

not everything that happens in life is mystical, but sometimes the smallest thing actually IS, and it just goes unnoticed.
then sometimes, LOTS of unexplainable things happen, and you begin to question...

Yes, that says it all.  How many times can you chalk things up to coincidence? Or try to rationally explain things away when a nagging feeling inside tells you differently?  Or try to tell yourself it's just your imagination - again?

I finally realilzed that it's a connectedness to what isn't seen. No matter how hard I tried to be "rational", deep inside I knew better. But, surley intelligent people don't believe in magic! Then I stopped all the nonsense of disbelief and finally found my path.   
RagingClue
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 30, 2009, 06:31:31 am
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: i guess ya could call me a pagan.

theres a difference between believing and knowing

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: March 17, 2008, 08:19:30 am »

I get that a lot it seems. I second guess myself too much. Although, the other day, I had made cookies, and I was eating a few near my altar. Suddenly it just came into my head "They want a cookie" So I left a cookie on my altar for the God and Goddess.

I dunno. I still cant decide if I am nuts or not, but I decided to go with the whim! I hope they liked it?

I used to be a B**** for second guessing myself; then i decided I was nuts in the sanest possible way! It just seems to be a thing of getting used to really.

Everything happens for a reason.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #22: March 18, 2008, 02:23:02 pm »

I used to be a B**** for second guessing myself; then i decided I was nuts in the sanest possible way! It just seems to be a thing of getting used to really.

One question you can ask yourself is: "Is my belief that this happened because of divine intervention really going to harm myself or others?" Chances are if say you're asking for a sign from Apollo or Brighid and you start seeing sun symbols (or perhaps even companies named after them -- I know we have an Apollo something company here) and you take that to be a sign, you're not harming anyone and its probably doing the opposite: its reaffirming your faith that Someone is indeed listening.

Who says that you can't be crazy AND believe in this stuff? Cheesy

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Valkyriia
Journeyman
Last Login:August 13, 2011, 08:54:09 pm

Religion: solitary Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: March 22, 2008, 12:29:43 pm »

Nothing too terribly specific here, I just knew I didn't fit in with the majority of people where I grew up.
I grew up in a house where we didn't go to church. My mom is the type of person who's said "I believe in God. I don't believe I need to go to a church for him to know that." (I have been to church a few times but was restless during the sermon)
 Growing up my mom said my brother and I could pick our own religion and she wouldn't get mad. (I'm now a Wiccan and my brother's a buddhist my sister-in-law is also Wiccan)
 Anyway back to the point: I had a few strange things that happened when I was younger. Whenever a gentle wind blew around me it felt like someone was caressing me.
 I dated a guy in HS who is a Norse Pagan. He suggested I look at other occult religions not just Wicca. I did research others (at the time I didn't know half of the religions I know about today) and Wicca just felt right to me.
 Sorry to be rambling, just wanted to share my thoughts.

Valkyriia

dartxni
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 28, 2010, 09:47:31 pm

Religion: Searching

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #24: March 22, 2008, 05:28:03 pm »

In response to the first post:

I grew up in a community of Theosophists. If you don't know what Theosophy is, think a combination of Buddhism, Hinduism, Platonic thought and 19th century spiritualism. Add in the idea of Adepts/Mahatma's who will slowly guide us on our evolutionary path toward nirvana, and you get the idea. On the positive side, it encourages everyone to think critically about everything anybody says, even the founders of the religion. Religion, Philosophy and Science are all given equal stage. On the negative side, I pretty much stopped believing when my mom told me that the main founders believed that the great apes were devolved humans, in other words, human souls who accidentally got stuck in animal bodies. There are some things that even a kid cannot swallow.

So... that left me floundering for a religion. I'd like to believe something. At one point, I threw out everything I had learned except for Buddhism. The Four Noble Truths and the Eight Fold Path. Karma and Reincarnation. Nirvana.

Then I realized that I just do not believe that life is suffering. I also think Nirvana sounds a little boring.

2 years ago, I had a dream in which I had a vision. In the vision, I knew I was going to be sacrificed in 57 weeks, in some way that had to do with trees and being impaled. I woke from the vision and ran away from home. Then I blacked out and woke up in some sort of underground kitchen. Odin, naked except for a chef's apron, and entirely covered in globs bread dough and flour, which also covered the entire kitchen,  handed me a cup which contained some sort of alcoholic beverage made out of honey. He told me I could stay in his kitchen for a while, but since I was a sacrifice I would eventually have to leave. The kitchen was also full of runaway teenagers.

I woke up for real and wrote down the dream. I calculated it out, and knew that 57 weeks later was November 5th, 2006. On November 5th, 2006, nothing in particular happened, although I did remember my dream. But the dream was a powerful experience none the less.

Edit: Lol, I wrote accept for except and new for knew.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 09:32:18 pm by dartxni, Reason: modified for spelling » Logged
dpixie
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2008, 05:26:24 pm
Mongolia Mongolia

Religion: Solitary Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #25: March 22, 2008, 06:47:48 pm »

Then I realized that I just do not believe that life is suffering. 

My problem with Buddhism exactly.  Maybe its the fey in me, but I think life is about love and fun and learning.  Not that there aren't bits where you suffer.  But that's just not what it is ALL ABOUT.  I believe you create your own reality by what you believe.  If you believe life is suffering, you will bring suffering to yourself, and also see only the suffering part of everything - so your life will be all about suffering.  If you believe life is about love and learning... that is what you'll bring to yourself, what you'll see and experience.

Pearlie the Psychic Kitty
http://fre-ecards.com (including ecards specifically for pagans
http://demented-pixie.com links to everything that is me Tongue
dpixie
Journeyman
Mongolia Mongolia

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #26: March 22, 2008, 06:51:38 pm »

I've recently noticed a certain goddess tapping me on the shoulder (more like she unabashedly pops in to my thoughts at random moments and demands attention). I feel that I should keep up with Buddhist teachings, give it a really good go, but Kali just won't sit on the back burner. Smiley

*blink* Someone else tapped by Kali?  *deep breath of relief* I am not alone.  Tongue

A friend of mine who is Hindu asked what goddesses I believed in and worked with and when I named Kali she about fainted.  She told me very few people, even Hindu, admit to worshipping Kali.  I suppose it is because she got so associated with the Thuggee sect that it gave her a "bad name" that no one wanted to be associated with. 

Anyway - her stories, the songs to her, everything just really calls to me.  It just makes sense, to me.

dpixie
Journeyman
Mongolia Mongolia

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #27: March 22, 2008, 07:02:48 pm »

when i was younger, all sorts of strange happenings in my life, let me know i was not like my peers.
one example is, one day when my parents were arguing in thier bedroom, i was listening, left ear, against the wall.
i "wished" so badly to not hear what i was hearing, and after about a minute of "wishing", went deaf in my left ear.
my parents took me to the doctor, who did some ear wax removal job, but i still couldn't hear.
he told me, it was odd, i didn't have that much wax, and that my hearing should be fine in a few days, and prescribed hot towels and hot showers.
my parents were so concerned with me, they stopped arguing. i'll never forget that. my hearing came back after a day or two.
at the time i didn't think much of it. but other odd things happened over the course of my life that put moments like those into perspective.

not everything that happens in life is mystical, but sometimes the smallest thing actually IS, and it just goes unnoticed.
then sometimes, LOTS of unexplainable things happen, and you begin to question...

Having replied to replies, I guess I should reply to the main question. 

I've always been able to speak to animals, always spoken to and seen the fey.  Don't ask me why, but I always simultaneously accepted this as normal, and at the same time, kept it secret.  My great-grandmother was reputed to be a witch and much of the family was (and still is - 30 years after her death) afraid of her.  I think (but cannot prove) she raised me for the first two years or so of my life.  And I believe that "babies" learn way more than we think they do and retain it as almost innate knowledge throughout their life.

My mother and all her sisters have prophetic dreams - my brother and I both do.  Again - accepted, but kept secret and not even much talked about within the family.  I had a couple that frightened me and decided not to have any more - now I have them very rarely.  I could go on forever about the famlial weird stuff (none of us can wear watches - we flip them out in a matter of days) but what brought me really to my current path was a roundabout trip. 

When I divorced my first husband, I went to work for a woman who was a large animal vet.  I was her stablehand.  I lived on the place and she gave me the run of her bookcases.  She had a lot of feminist and Astrology sort of literature (what there was in 1985).  I'd read and in the mornings we would talk about things we had read and thought.  It was all new territory to me (embarrassing isn't it?).  From feminism, and astrology I meandered over to New Age, then Spiral Dance by Starhawk and Wicca via Scott Cunningham.  I just kept reading and exploring (When God was a Woman by Merlin Stone is a big influence, along with writings from Edgar Cayce's readings) and here I am now...solitary eclectic neopagan is what I call myself.  and I'm still learning and evolving for that matter. 

Summer

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: March 23, 2008, 04:35:28 am »

In response to the first post:

Datxni,

Could you please leave the quote code in when replying to a post?  It's fine to trim the contents of the quote, but we do insist on the code being present.

Thank you,

EverFool

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
dartxni
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 28, 2010, 09:47:31 pm

Religion: Searching

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #29: March 23, 2008, 05:11:59 am »

Datxni,

Could you please leave the quote code in when replying to a post?  It's fine to trim the contents of the quote, but we do insist on the code being present.

Thank you,

EverFool
That was my laziness. Sorry, I hoped that my opening line would work well enough. Guess not.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 05:15:45 am by dartxni » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)