The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 23, 2020, 03:52:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2020, 03:52:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dedication and Polytheism  (Read 6940 times)
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm
United States United States

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 13, 2008, 07:41:49 pm »

Does dedication to one deity defeat the purpose of polytheism? 

And if one deity grants a favor and it is not the one you serve (and you are not really sure who it is) what happens then? Who do you thank or express gratitude to?

*Síocháin*

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: March 13, 2008, 08:34:55 pm »

And if one deity grants a favor and it is not the one you serve (and you are not really sure who it is) what happens then? Who do you thank or express gratitude to?

I can only speak to your first question because I haven't experienced the situation in your second question.

I don't think dedication to one deity defeats the purpose of polytheism.  I'm not really sure what you mean by "purpose", but I think polytheism is the belief that more than one god/dess exists, not the *worship* of only one god/dess.  F'ex, I'm dedicated to Brighid, but I believe that other god/desses exist.  I just don't have a relationship with any other than Brighid.

Is that what you're getting at?

I'm having a hard time imagining the situation in which a deity other than Brighid would do something for me -- simply because I have no relationship with any other.  I'm sure it's possible, and if it did happen AND I could figure out who it was, I think I would want to thank that deity.  If the other deity stepped in at Brighid's request AND I knew that somehow, I would thank both.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 13, 2008, 08:39:02 pm »

I don't think there's a "purpose" to polytheism, per se. Does dedicating yourself to one deity mean you cease to believe in the others?

I'd phrase my thanks very generally, something along the lines of "thanks, whoever you are".  Smiley

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 13, 2008, 08:44:18 pm »

Polytheism is the belief in many gods. Fairly pure and simple. Dedication to one does not negate the belief that there are others, or even the worship and service of others (unless one is henotheistic, which is a polytheistic belief where the adherent worships and serves only one deity, while maintaining belief in the existence of others)

Some people find out that dedication to one deity brings them into contact with others with whom they might have had much less previous contact, or none at all before- that was my own experience.

In short, no. :-)

Well, were I to be granted a favor by some deity and was certain that it was not the one to whom I am dedicated, and is not any other that I can identify, then I would simply offer thanks in whatever form seemed most appropriate to the unknown deity- they know who they are.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 13, 2008, 08:48:01 pm »

I'm dedicated to one god and routinely chat with many many more.  I'm used as a human switchboard.  (ask Chabas! Cheesy )  I've also made contact with gods when I was working on a novel involving some of them. (and I need to get back to it.  in my free time.  ARGH!).

I don't believe that Apollo is the one and only god that I can communicate with, deal with, anything.  In fact, I can theoretically consider being dedicated to more than one - though it's not something I'm interested in.  If the gods showed up and could come to an arrangement, I wouldn't refuse to listen.

And certainly if someone did me a favor and I didn't know who to thank, I'd both ask Apollo to pass my thanks on, and do a generic "I don't know who did that, but THANK YOU!" response.  And I'd keep an ear open for any "oh, and by the way, now *I* need a favor" nudges down the road .....

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: March 13, 2008, 08:57:02 pm »

Polytheism is the belief in many gods. Fairly pure and simple. Dedication to one does not negate the belief that there are others, or even the worship and service of others (unless one is henotheistic, which is a polytheistic belief where the adherent worships and serves only one deity, while maintaining belief in the existence of others)

Dedication to one also does not negate the possibility of dedication to others, within the responsible span of the energy and capabilities of the dedicant.

Depending on how you count, I'm personally dedicated to four.  (Hetharu for a long, long time, and that's complicated; Set in a very specific priestly-obligation role; the jackal boys as a particular sort of clergy, but I'm expected to do the work to qualify for that and haven't yet.)

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 13, 2008, 09:17:26 pm »

Dedication to one certainly doesn't negate belief in others. Now, whether or not you work with others or not I guess depends on the "terms" of your dedication. For example, I am dedicated to Morrigan. She is the only one who I am officially dedicated to (however I do work with many others, and some of them quite closely. I consider myself "theirs" I'm just not dedicated officially).

There's no problem with me working with others...so long as I remember that I'm Morrigan's FIRST. I'm hers, first, above all others, period. We both know it. If I remember that and act accordingly there are no problems. Cheesy

As for your second question, I've never had that happen so I don't know.

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 13, 2008, 10:16:35 pm »

There's no problem with me working with others...so long as I remember that I'm Morrigan's FIRST. I'm hers, first, above all others, period. We both know it. If I remember that and act accordingly there are no problems. Cheesy

I think this illustrates how personal and unique most people's relationships with their gods/goddesses tend to be. I can't imagine the above statement as being true for me, ever. I serve 2 goddesses; I am self-initiated, I do my own deal. However, I am working toward initiation in the Sha'can tradition, b/c Kali is one of my main Goddesses, and there are specific rituals within that tradition that bring me a lot closer to Her, so it seems important. I have worked with several other goddesses, but only one god. I have several times been invited to work with other Goddesses, and when I have been granted boons in that process I give thanks and praise.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 13, 2008, 10:23:14 pm »

Everyone else has said what I want to, but I have a nitpick here: henotheism does not restrict one to the worship and service of one deity.  British Traditional Wiccans are henotheistic and worship two.  Henotheism restricts one to the worship of a specific deity or group of deities.

I am not henotheistic.  I am dedicated to two deities, have done significant work with two others, and have had passing contact with somewhere between four and eight more after that.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 13, 2008, 10:24:07 pm »

Everyone else has said what I want to, but I have a nitpick here: henotheism does not restrict one to the worship and service of one deity.  British Traditional Wiccans are henotheistic and worship two.  Henotheism restricts one to the worship of a specific deity or group of deities.

I am not henotheistic.  I am dedicated to two deities, have done significant work with two others, and have had passing contact with somewhere between four and eight more after that.

Furthermore, as a panentheist, I'm dedicated to a third deity whose title is Existence.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 14, 2008, 07:22:10 am »

No. In my personal experience it complicates things, I don't do as much with the other dieties because my devotion to Apollo comes first. I think that is the real change. You don't stop believing, but your will, hopefully, priorities change.

Huge, wild orgies.

Joking, I'm chaste, there are no orgies in my future. I suppose I should give them a tidbit, I'll probably start making a pan of Baklava once a year and hand it out at various places I sense them the most. Yet another project that will have to wait till I have my own place.
Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 14, 2008, 04:30:40 pm »

Being in a service of one deity doesn't negate the existance of others, I agree with that, but does it make the others seem less important or put that particular deity somehow above the others?  Meaning, does it make a person *forget* or *ignore* (take these terms lightly) any other deity?

Please forgive my ramblings Smiley

Huge, wild orgies.

Now, there's an idea.  I wonder if my Celtic Deities are up for that, lol.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 04:32:14 pm by darkplume, Reason: changed a word » Logged

*Síocháin*
Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 14, 2008, 04:33:03 pm »

I'm dedicated to one god and routinely chat with many many more.  I'm used as a human switchboard.  (ask Chabas! Cheesy

Care to expand and share an experience?

*Síocháin*
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 14, 2008, 04:58:46 pm »

Being in a service of one deity doesn't negate the existance of others, I agree with that, but does it make the others seem less important or put that particular deity somehow above the others?  Meaning, does it make a person *forget* or *ignore* (take these terms lightly) any other deity?

I'm going to describe this the best I can from my experience, but forgive me if it's clear as...well...mud. Wink

My dedication to Morrigan basically means that I answer to her before any other deity. Hypothetically (and this hasn't happened) if I got two contradictory 'assignments' from Morrigan and oh, say...Jupiter (who I also love and respect very much) I would be...'obligated'? to fulfill the work for Morrigan first. At least unless we worked out a compromise in some other way. Wink

This isn't to say that she's more important to any other deity out there, but to ME she is. I suppose it's similar to human relationships in that, if you have a spouse or best friend you're probably going to put them before all your other friends, when they are in need.

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: March 14, 2008, 05:49:54 pm »

Does getting married make a person forget or ignore other humans?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.