The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 08, 2021, 06:41:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 08, 2021, 06:41:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Celebration of Misrule  (Read 2357 times)
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am
United States United States

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Topic Start: March 15, 2008, 09:34:42 am »

Hey folks,

About this time of year, Jews celebrate Purim.  Besides reading the book of Esther, this holiday is characterized by a spirit of misrule.  In this festival, everything is supposed to be topsy-turvy and as disrespectful and silly as possible.  People wear silly costumes, shout and shake noise makers during the scripture reading and so forth.

I wonder if any of you folks have holidays or have engaged in rituals of a similar nature?  This might be something that honored chaos elements, or trickster deities, or something I've never heard of.  Smiley  If so, what are some examples?

Sperran

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 15, 2008, 12:13:54 pm »

Hey folks,

About this time of year, Jews celebrate Purim.  Besides reading the book of Esther, this holiday is characterized by a spirit of misrule...

I wonder if any of you folks have holidays or have engaged in rituals of a similar nature?

For me (and a lot of other North Americans, I would guess), it's Halloween. I always do a costume, and its more than just wearing a weird outfit; I always get into the spirit of what I'm dressed as. Halloween is also supposed to be when "the other world"--the realm of spirits, the world of the dead, of witches, ghouls, goblins, etc.--leaks into ours. And then there are all the adolescents for whom Halloween is the excuse for mischievous pranks.

I guess the common denominator is, Halloween is a time for the Other.

In cultures with a big Catholic influence, I think Mardi Gras/Carnival fulfills a similar function. But somebody from one of those cultures can speak to that better than I can.

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 23, 2008, 10:31:48 pm »

If so, what are some examples?

Not holidays or rituals in the "usual" sense, but there definitely have been events I've been to that strike me as times of misrule or "times outside the year".  One that I haven't been able to do for the last year and looks like it won't be possible this year either is Stevens Point Trivia in Wisconsin.  It's a 54-hour competition that's done in teams and includes very odd questions, very odd music between questions, events like the Trivia Movie (odd and obscure, of course) and (my favorite!) the Trivia Stone, which involves driving clues.  A bunch of my friends and friends of friends (of friends...) would get together in a house, eat lots of food (caffeinated cookies - need I say more?) and not get terribly much sleep.  Oh, and look up answers online on a huge LAN of laptops.

Amusingly enough, last time my team was able to participate (two years ago), the weekend coincided with some Thelemic holidays, which actually seemed to fit.

I've also been to GenCon twice, which is a big gaming convention.  This also seems magical and "outside time" in a way, with costumes and meeting people and all sorts of fun not-usual things.  (Last time I went, there was another Thelemic holiday during it, which seemed to fit again.  And that's where I found my unicursal hexagram pendant.)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)