The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2019, 04:47:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2019, 04:47:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: "Bad luck to buy your own deck" - how common is that, and where?  (Read 14196 times)
SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 16, 2019, 02:44:12 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: March 15, 2008, 04:50:36 pm »

Elsewhere, Rin mentions a superstition related to tarot:
It's considered bad luck to buy your own deck. You're supposed to get it as a gift. Maybe taboo was the wrong word? I view it more as superstition and I think its silly. I've bought my own deck before, tho' it wasn't right for me doesn't reinforce the superstition. I also don't see the point.

*snorts* Cheesy

The way Rin talks about it, it sounds like it's fairly common where she is - as it also is (or anyway has been; I'm not hooked in enough to the local scene at the moment to be sure if it still is) here.  Though there's not a lot of contact/connection between Calgary's and Winnipeg's Pagan/occult/divination/etc scenes, there's enough that ideas do cross-infect.

Most of those who responded in the original thread didn't mention whether it was something they'd heard of before or not - but they didn't say, " Roll Eyes Oh, that old canard again!" (or some approximate equivalent).  I didn't post that, but I sure as heck thought it.

So now I'm wondering whether it's a common superstition in a lot of places, or whether its commonness is a regional phenomenon.  Is this something you've run across a lot, or a little, or not at all, in your neck of the woods?  (Don't forget to give me a notion where your neck of the woods is - I know where lots of folks are, but I don't have a TC map in my head.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 15, 2008, 04:56:58 pm »

The way Rin talks about it, it sounds like it's fairly common where she is - as it also is (or anyway has been; I'm not hooked in enough to the local scene at the moment to be sure if it still is) here.  Though there's not a lot of contact/connection between Calgary's and Winnipeg's Pagan/occult/divination/etc scenes, there's enough that ideas do cross-infect.

Most of those who responded in the original thread didn't mention whether it was something they'd heard of before or not - but they didn't say, " Roll Eyes Oh, that old canard again!" (or some approximate equivalent).  I didn't post that, but I sure as heck thought it.

So now I'm wondering whether it's a common superstition in a lot of places, or whether its commonness is a regional phenomenon.  Is this something you've run across a lot, or a little, or not at all, in your neck of the woods?  (Don't forget to give me a notion where your neck of the woods is - I know where lots of folks are, but I don't have a TC map in my head.)

Sunflower

As I mentioned in the Wards thread, I have never heard of it. I am self-taught, mostly, but I have some friends who teach, and lots of friends who read cards, and afaik, these kinds of traditions/myths/superstitions/what have you are not something we pay much mind to down here in beautiful N. CA.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: March 15, 2008, 05:25:49 pm »

Great Lakes region, Stateside - I've heard it.  I don't know how /common/ it is, 'cause I don't talk to a lot of tarot-type people offline.  But I heard it long before I came to TC.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 15, 2008, 05:35:59 pm »

Never heard of it. Think it's quite silly, myself.

My ONLY tarot deck, which I do use, is one that I picked out and bought for myself. I have not had any problems yet! Wink *knock on wood*

Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 15, 2008, 07:17:37 pm »

So now I'm wondering whether it's a common superstition in a lot of places, or whether its commonness is a regional phenomenon.

It's common here in Central Kentucky. In fact, I know people who tend to freak out if some newbie comes along and even hints at buying himself his own first Tarot deck. Bad, bad ju-ju.

Now, having said that, I must say that yes, my first deck was gifted to me. Your standard usual Rider-Waite deck that doesn't make a lick of sense to me. It makes so little sense that the pack, which I received in March 1993, still looks brand new. The packs I've bought for myself, because the artwork had something to say to me, make much more sense. The Hermann Haindl is my preferred pack.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 15, 2008, 08:06:07 pm »

Those crazy Canucks.

To tell you the truth, I'm not much connected to the local scene here either, because what I've heard or scene is mostly of the Wiccan/Wiccanesque variety. The two people I know who are openly Wiccan also believe in some form of this superstition. I have difficulty taking them seriously on the subject because of the material they often read is dubious for its factual content at best. But they are my friends, and I love them. Smiley

Where I've heard this is mostly on online forums, where the subject comes up and those few voices of reason chime in that its a superstition and there really is no difference between buying your own or getting a deck. I suppose maybe the "deck as a gift" was more popular years ago? Because nowadays I don't see it being taken seriously.

I should sign up for a local tarot shop that I got recommended to (the people you meet in libraries  Roll Eyes) and see what its like here. I wouldn't say the "pagan scene" is dead here, its just that its not that open. I think I mentioned a while ago that I felt apathy is quite rampant in Winnipeg, because it just seems like no one cares enough. We used to have a Pagan Festival (I know there is a correct term for it, its just escaping me at the moment. Ack!) here annually up until about 3 years ago when it slowly died off. I couldn't tell you why. We don't have ren faires and the pagan shops are slim pickings at best, as it seems most of them are filled up with Neo-Wiccan Goddess-based material. Plus some stories I've head of shop owners give me the willies, but I'm naturally distrustful of people older than me (online people I know who are older than me don't seem to give me the same vibe, especially here. I think its because of the level of intellectual discussion here that people who seem.. "grounded" to me that doesn't cause my cynicism to flare up. Cheesy).

Okay, I totally went off-topic. I apologize. I guess its not so much where I live, its the places where I frequent (which is mostly LJ (sadly), Witchforum, The Cauldron, and Aeclectic Tarot. Any other places are not in relation to spirituality) where it comes up.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Derg Corra
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 08, 2008, 09:29:15 pm

Religion: Aspiring Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 15, 2008, 08:15:49 pm »

Well, I live in PA, and a couple of summers ago I spent lots of time at local yard sales/flea markets trying to pick up occult books/tarot cards/etc. on the cheap.  I was at a woman's yard sale and saw a Rider Waite deck (actually just labeled a Rider Tarot Deck) probably from the 80s, so I asked how much it was...  At the time, I had a few other decks that I had bought but never really used, so that was one rule I had broken without even knowing it.  She talked to her friend and came back to me and said that her daughter told her to give them to whoever picked it up, for free.  I hadn't heard of the "gifting" of Tarot cards before so my first reaction was "I hope these things aren't cursed or something," but I couldn't resist a free vintage deck.

Once I read about the tradition of receiving your first Tarot cards for free, I thought it was a really cool gesture and obviously someone who must have known far more than me at the time was responsible.  I still have the deck and will probably always remember the circumstances of me getting it.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 07, 2019, 10:49:07 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: March 15, 2008, 09:05:18 pm »

So now I'm wondering whether it's a common superstition in a lot of places, or whether its commonness is a regional phenomenon. 

I've heard it a lot over the years -- mainly online, however.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #8: March 15, 2008, 09:28:49 pm »

I got my first deck in Toronto in 1981, and yes it was a gift.  I didn't know much about cards at that point, but it did seem right and fitting, especially since the giver was my first teacher.  She had been reading for a while and her first deck had been a gift from her mother.

She was only my teacher for about three months when she 'fired' me (told me I needed someone who knew more than she did).  My second teacher was a professional reader.  He was my first 'real' teacher, and he also said that a first deck should be given.  He also said that it was fine to ask someone to give you one, or to trade gifts - the important part seemed to be that coin changing hands should not be the first experience 'shared' by a beginner and their first deck.  After that, buying a deck that pleases you is more acceptable.

I agree on one level, although I don't think it's essential, and I find it silly on one level.  I have bought lots of decks over the years, and I wouldn't think of telling somebody they shouldn't have bought their first one.  At the same time, I always give a deck to my students.  Not 'workshop' students - they are supposed to bring their own.  But private students always get one from me - always a basic, clear, deck, like the Rider, with images on the pips for easier learning.

After they know the basics, I encourage them to bring in and play with and explore other decks, but that first one (even if it isn't really, since most people already have at least one before they approach me) is always a gift from teacher to student.

I knowingly indulge in this superstition, just because I like it.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 16, 2008, 05:42:34 am »

I've lived in different parts of Germany and never heard it until I came to TC, but I haven't met that many Tarot people face to face. I admit, I've bought my first deck, a Rider-Waite.

What I've heard in north-eastern Germany though, was that you shouldn't get a used deck and shouldn't borrow/lend cards.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 16, 2008, 09:43:15 am »

Sunflower

I'm with Dania:  not only have I never heard of such a thing, I think it's silly.  Reading tarot is a highly personalized form of divination; if the deck won't talk to you, you can try all the ritual you want, nothing will happen.  The only way to know if the deck will talk to you is to hunt for it yourself.  I bought the deck that called to me off the shelf at the bookstore.

I have been gifted various tarot decks over the years; not one of them worked, and I've re-homed them all.  I've purchased four; only one actually works for me... which didn't surprise me.  I bought the other three decks because I liked the art, not because I expected to use them.

I can understand a teacher wanting to gift a student with a deck; the teacher will likely gift the deck he/she uses to teach.  If the teacher uses the Rider deck, and the student's trying to learn off the Motherpeace deck, the lessons are going to be *very* difficult...

Of course, I have no idea if this is how it works for other people.  JMHO; YMMV.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 09:46:20 am by Sine Silvering, Reason: first to add extra thought, second to add this! :) » Logged

--------------
Blesséd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: March 16, 2008, 10:54:09 am »

I'm not apart of the pagan scene here in SE Virginia but I have heard about it.  I actually read it in a book that came with a deck my grandmother gave me (it also said that you shouldn't let other people touch your cards without your permission).  Oddly enough, that was either my second or third deck.  I purchased two other decks.  The first I lost many of the cards so it was unusable (I don't know if anyone has heard of it, but it was the Parrot Tarot deck.  I didn't really like it anyway).

The other is the Quick and Easy Tarot and I like that one because the meanings are printed on the cards.  I find it useful for those trying to learn and I will probably buy another deck when I familiarize myself with the meanings.

The one my grandmother gave me has god awful artwork (I think Barnes and Nobel were the ones that printed it) and I only use the book that came with it to compare the meanings of the cards (the rest of the info in the book may be a bit suspect).

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 16, 2008, 11:36:13 am »

What I've heard in north-eastern Germany though, was that you shouldn't get a used deck and shouldn't borrow/lend cards.

Here in Argentina, I've heard this too. I've participated in a lot of argentinian pagan forums for many years, and I never read anything about bad luck if you buy your first tarot deck. I've seen many people asking what deck should they buy to learn tarot, and nobody ever said that was bad luck or anything like that. But I've heard that you shouldn't borrow or lend tarot cards, because the energy of the other person gets stuck on them (and I wonder, can't you clean them later?).

Selegna.

Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 16, 2008, 11:44:17 am »

Sunflower

As I mentioned in the Wards thread, the variant I've heard is that you aren't supposed to buy your first deck, and what is meant by "first" is "first deck you've ever done a reading with."  Basically, you're supposed to either borrow or get gifted the deck you do your first reading with.

I think it's silly, but I didn't buy a deck until after someone taught me using theirs.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 16, 2008, 12:11:36 pm »

I've heard that one too, but it is not that hard to clear a deck and recharge it. Mary Greer has some good ideas for doing this in Tarot for Yourself, I think.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.