The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 03, 2020, 05:39:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2020, 05:39:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Runes  (Read 4029 times)
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm
United States United States

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 15, 2008, 10:59:56 pm »

Best rune book out there?

*Síocháin*

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

sunny
Apprentice
Last Login:July 22, 2008, 05:55:32 pm

Religion: druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 18, 2008, 12:55:15 pm »

that is a difficult question to answer. i would say, just off the top of my head, that the answer depends a lot on whether or not you are a traditionalist.
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 18, 2008, 01:20:13 pm »

Hands down, it's "Taking Up the Runes" by Diana Paxson.  Very thorough, with a lot of information, rituals, guided meditations, etc.  A little intimidating, but worth it, IMO.
Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 19, 2008, 05:05:04 pm »

Well, not a book, but I found this cool site for runes: http://www.sunnyway.com/runes

*Síocháin*
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 19, 2008, 09:24:46 pm »

Hands down, it's "Taking Up the Runes" by Diana Paxson.  Very thorough, with a lot of information, rituals, guided meditations, etc.  A little intimidating, but worth it, IMO.
I'm reading this right now, actually, and I agree it is very worthwhile. Not only does it talk about the interpretations of the runes from the perspectives of various authors, but she gives information about some of the customs and culture of the Northern peoples, and many rituals and fantastic guided meditations for the runes.

HOWEVER, bear in mind if you choose to read her, that many Asatru or those that are more concerned with lore consider her quite unsavory. The main reason I've found for this is that she is too "new age." I haven't finished the entire book, but all of her rituals involve casting, kind of, a "rune circle." As far as I can tell, this is absolutely her own invention and while it may be useful for some, I don't think I would use it in my own rituals.

So read it, get a lot of information out of it, but keep in mind that the practices are NOT Asatru or based on any historical facts. If you're looking for hard, cold academic lore, look elsewhere.

The other criticism I have is that there is very little in the way of practical divination, which, since you posted in this folder, I'm assuming you want to use them for. She talks  good deal about the meanings that the rune might mean in a casting, but gives no information about lay outs or actually doing the divining whatsoever. Kind of strange I suppose, but runes were not really designed for that purpose in the first place so...

If and when you chose and book and read it, do let us know how you find it!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Fagan_the_Pagan
Master Member
Last Login:February 11, 2012, 04:39:54 am

Religion: Ecclectic Bard

Tá tine sna ceann orm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 27, 2009, 12:22:13 am »

I haven't read "Taking up the Runes," nor have I seen it anywhere, but with that strong a recommendation, it must be worth a look at least.  My favorite that I HAVE read, however, would be Futhark by Edred Thorsson.  Very detailed, although it's true that the focus is more on Rune Magic than on Divination.

The two books I have on Rune Divination specifically are A Practical Guide to The Runes by Lisa Peschl and The Book of Runes by Ralph H. Blum, though the latter's rearranging of the Rune Set is . . . interesting to say the least.  His interpretation of the runes themselves seem alright, but he has his own take on the Runes showing a "path of the spirit."

"We're actors!  We're the opposite of people."--Tom Stoppard "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.
Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 27, 2009, 08:20:02 am »

The two books I have on Rune Divination specifically are A Practical Guide to The Runes by Lisa Peschl and The Book of Runes by Ralph H. Blum, though the latter's rearranging of the Rune Set is . . . interesting to say the least.  His interpretation of the runes themselves seem alright, but he has his own take on the Runes showing a "path of the spirit."

I'm not really a fan of Ralph Blum, mainly because he introduces a non-historical blank rune to the set among his many follies. 

*Síocháin*
Fagan_the_Pagan
Master Member
Last Login:February 11, 2012, 04:39:54 am

Religion: Ecclectic Bard

Tá tine sna ceann orm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 27, 2009, 12:58:34 pm »

I'm not really a fan of Ralph Blum, mainly because he introduces a non-historical blank rune to the set among his many follies. 
This is true, though he's not the only one to do so.  Peschl has it too.  (It's possible the other's are copying him, but they do it.)  It seems fairly common these days to include a blank rune in divination.  There are those that would argue that innovation is not always a bad thing.  Personally I have sort of mixed feelings on the issue.

"We're actors!  We're the opposite of people."--Tom Stoppard "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #8: January 27, 2009, 03:20:42 pm »

I don't know if it is available in English, but maybe try Igor Warneck at amazon.
His 'Runenwelten' is good imho.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 27, 2009, 03:40:50 pm »

I haven't read "Taking up the Runes," nor have I seen it anywhere, but with that strong a recommendation, it must be worth a look at least. 

To add to the recommendation: I like it the best of the ones we read for the Rune class I took in December - one thing I really like is that she gives all three rune poems, plus a summary of takes on the rune by various different authors. It's given me a good idea of which authors I'm interested in exploring next, and the ability to look at different perspectives quickly.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.