The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 03, 2020, 07:41:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 03, 2020, 07:41:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: For my fellow fans and writers of fantasy...  (Read 5294 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #15: March 18, 2008, 09:15:32 am »

The first one, _Fire Rose_, was enjoyable.  and the latest, _Reserved for the Cat_ actually wasn't bad.  But a LOT of them are awful.  The sleeping beauty one, the plot didn't start until at LEAST halfway into the book.  And some of the others just made no sense at all.

*shrug*  I remember enjoying most of the ones I've read--but then it's been a while.  There are also a couple outside the Elemental Masters series, though I don't recall whether I liked them or not.

Gates of Sleep was probably the weakest one in my dim memory, though.  Fire Rose I don't remember very well, but I suspect it was better than most if only because it was published much earlier, back in the days before her writing started to slip.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: March 18, 2008, 09:25:06 am »

*shrug*  I remember enjoying most of the ones I've read--but then it's been a while.  There are also a couple outside the Elemental Masters series, though I don't recall whether I liked them or not.

Gates of Sleep was probably the weakest one in my dim memory, though.  Fire Rose I don't remember very well, but I suspect it was better than most if only because it was published much earlier, back in the days before her writing started to slip.

Part of the additional problem with them is that she just takes ANYTHING and throws it in.  So the first book was cohesive - and then she went "ooh, pretty" and started adding to the world.  And adding.  And adding.

and it's gotten to the point where it makes no damn SENSE.  And some of it directly contradicts what was said before.  And half of England is for some reason involved with magic in some way or another.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 18, 2008, 09:42:11 am »

oh yeah.  and what the hell is secular paganism, anyway?  *rolls eyes*
I was hoping there'd be a definition in the glossary.  Instead, they felt the need to tell me what Science Fiction is.  Roll Eyes

Actually, this site wasn't too bad.  I mean, it's a given that they don't recommend anything that offends their sensibilities (sex, violence, non-Christian religions), but that is what the site is for.  Their reviews, for the most part, seemed pretty straightforward. 

Some of the things they had to say about MZB were rather amusing/annoying, though.  Not that I expected a strong recommendation of Mists of Avalon from them, but I did find the repeated use of "feminazi" irritating.  (That's one of those terms that will cause me to immediately dismiss anything the person using it has to say.) 
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: March 18, 2008, 07:25:52 pm »

*sigh*  Yeah.  I was an avid fan of hers back in the mid-to-late 90's, starting about the time she was publishing the Mage Winds trilogy in the Valdemar series.  At the time I picked up nearly every new book of hers (particularly in that series) just on principle, but in retrospect I think that might have been about when she hit her peak for me.  There were some of the later Valdemar books that I didn't even bother with despite still being an avid fan at the time they came out, because...  Well, even to an avid fan they just weren't any good.  There have been some since that have been better and reminded me of the early books, but...  She's just not on my "must read everything!" list anymore.  And part of that is maybe me moving on in life, but a big part of it is the quality of her writing as well.

(Apologies for the focus on Valdemar; that's been my main exposure to her.)

You know, I had the exact same experience. I picked up the first Mage Winds book as a travel novel, and by a year later I'd read pretty much everything she had out. And she was fairly decent over the next few years, though not on the level of Bujold or Tepper (also, ML really seems to like the word "infatuation". Sorry, that just bugs me.) I figure she ran into trouble when she finished her big "world arc" (winds, gryphon, storms, owl; all integrated in plot and themes) and then ... lacked direction. Or burned herself out, or something. It's kind of sad, really; I still read everything she releases because I think she's good at descriptions, but I've stopped expecting much of the plots. Sad
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: March 18, 2008, 08:02:28 pm »

You know, I had the exact same experience. I picked up the first Mage Winds book as a travel novel, and by a year later I'd read pretty much everything she had out. And she was fairly decent over the next few years, though not on the level of Bujold or Tepper (also, ML really seems to like the word "infatuation". Sorry, that just bugs me.) I figure she ran into trouble when she finished her big "world arc" (winds, gryphon, storms, owl; all integrated in plot and themes) and then ... lacked direction. Or burned herself out, or something. It's kind of sad, really; I still read everything she releases because I think she's good at descriptions, but I've stopped expecting much of the plots. Sad

I read them (though I don't buy them) out of sick curiosity.  I don't know what it is.  It's like I want to howl at the badness.

I'm an awful person, I know. Cheesy

Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 18, 2008, 08:35:52 pm »

oh yeah.  and what the hell is secular paganism, anyway?  *rolls eyes*

I think it's similar to the phrase "secular humanism" ("Secular" meaning not of the church) that John Hagee (of TBN) is forever saying.  I think it's just an emphasis that paganism (and humanism for that matter) are not part of the church or is "second" to the church.

Clear as mud?

*Síocháin*
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: March 18, 2008, 08:38:41 pm »

I think it's similar to the phrase "secular humanism" ("Secular" meaning not of the church) that John Hagee (of TBN) is forever saying.  I think it's just an emphasis that paganism (and humanism for that matter) are not part of the church or is "second" to the church.

Clear as mud?

I think it just sounds more spooky.  those Pagans!  they'll be dating your children and raping the sheep!  oh no!  *snort*

<-- has never once raped a sheep.

Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: March 18, 2008, 08:44:03 pm »

I think it just sounds more spooky.  those Pagans!  they'll be dating your children and raping the sheep!  oh no!  *snort*

Me either, lol.  Oh wow, another Ten Things I Hate About You moment (Are there sheep?!?!?).

And of course this phrase I heard at random from the tv...

"I don't know who brought the baby, but I'm gonna fry it up in a pan!"

(Add a bit of ginger and they are quite tasty!)

*Síocháin*
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: March 18, 2008, 10:02:20 pm »

If you like retellings, I'd go with McKinley.  hers are actually well-done.

I hear that. I still dream about retelling Beauty and the Beast myself--and stop when I think about Beauty again.  Cheesy

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: March 18, 2008, 10:03:58 pm »

The ones I've read haven't been, that I recall.  Then again, I found Wicked all-but-unreadable for completely different reasons, so YMMV.  (Pretentious it may have been, but I never got past the constant crudeness-for-the-sake-of-crudeness and what I felt was pretty bad writing in some places to see the pretention.  The worst part was, I was actually fairly interested in the story despite its flaws...  But the flaws really got in the way for me.)

I totally agree--it should have been great, and most of my good friends loved it--but I just couldn't get past him and get to the story.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: March 18, 2008, 10:35:35 pm »

And of course this phrase I heard at random from the tv...

"I don't know who brought the baby, but I'm gonna fry it up in a pan!"

(Add a bit of ginger and they are quite tasty!)

Cheesy

"Baby: The other, other white meat."  -- Fat Bastard from the Austin Powers movies.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: March 18, 2008, 11:04:49 pm »

I hear that. I still dream about retelling Beauty and the Beast myself--and stop when I think about Beauty again.  Cheesy

Beauty is a wonderful book, but I think Rose Daughter (another McKinley retelling of Beauty and the Beast) is even better.  Her use of language is just...musical.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: March 19, 2008, 12:09:35 am »

Tis a good thing you don't live in Montana then...

Montana....where the women are scarce, the men are men, the sheep have nerve problems and the lambs all run around saying, "daaaa-aaaaady, daaaaa-aaaaaady"

Cheesy Cheesy Grin

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)