The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 26, 2021, 10:31:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 26, 2021, 10:31:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Shift Experiences  (Read 39322 times)
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm
United States United States

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 30, 2007, 12:24:53 am »

I know we've talked about having a thread like this, so I thought I'd start one.  Smiley  Here's mine:

Sunset today marked the end of my first not-group shift.  Based on what happened last time, I thought I'd be focused more on creativity.  Instead, it seemed more home and hearth focused.  My friend and I made plans to look at potential apartments.  Right before my shift started, I cooked dinner and thought about "home", and that seemed appropriate.

The job theme continues too, as I wrote my letter of resignation from my current job yesterday.  Today at work I got congratulated on my new job, which was cool.  Everyone has been super nice.  (I think the theme will continue - if we keep the current shift schedule, my next one will start at sunset the first day of my new job.)

I also did healing prayers.  I've never really did them in an organized way before, and it was really powerful.  I also got the idea that as part of honoring Her as Healer, I could also become more healthy myself.  Maybe this'll finally give me the motivation to do it for real.

And I wrote a poem.  Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: March 30, 2007, 12:36:51 am »

Sunset today marked the end of my first not-group shift. 
*snip*
The job theme continues too

I shared a shift with Garnet today, and also had some focus on job.  I am still job hunting after 2 months.  *sighs*  I've been extremely down about this, and asking Brighid for help.  OK, sort of begging.   Embarrassed   However, yesterday, in the middle of my shift, I got a very promising phone call about a very exciting opportunity.  We'll see how that pans out over the next couple of weeks.  And, today, I interviewed at a temp agency, which was good and bad.  Good because, well, I'm really over qualified for administrative temp work (I have an MA and a JD and 20 years of office experience), so they're pretty happy to have me.  Bad because, well, I just don't want to do it.  *sighs again*

I spent a lot of my shift time reading Celtic recon materials and thinking about this "reformed Celtic recon" project.  I had a few mini-aha moments -- but I think they might not be relevant to anyone but me.  But it was really enlightening to me, at least.   Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Garnet
Adept Member

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 30, 2007, 03:01:12 am »

I shared a shift with Garnet today, and also had some focus on job.  I am still job hunting after 2 months.  *sighs*  I've been extremely down about this, and asking Brighid for help.  OK, sort of begging.   Embarrassed   However, yesterday, in the middle of my shift, I got a very promising phone call about a very exciting opportunity. 

*snip*

I spent a lot of my shift time reading Celtic recon materials and thinking about this "reformed Celtic recon" project.  I had a few mini-aha moments -- but I think they might not be relevant to anyone but me.  But it was really enlightening to me, at least.   Wink

Interesting that we'd have a bit of a similar theme.  Smiley  My friends and I have had decent job-prospect luck lately, so I'll share some with you.  *sends job luck*

And who knows - maybe the RCR board would like your mini-aha moments.  Smiley

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #3: March 30, 2007, 11:12:44 am »

And who knows - maybe the RCR board would like your mini-aha moments.  Smiley

Yes! Sharing aha's is good. Grin

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 30, 2007, 03:41:30 pm »

I'm sure everyone can benefit from those "aha" moments!  Wink

My shift is on Sunday, and I'll probably be doing much the same--getting back into my "religious scholarly investigations" and thinking long and hard about one particular "aha" moment I've had this past week.  Maybe getting it written down coherently. 

It's funny though; my shift for the LJ cill follows the shift for TC's cill really closely (my LJ shift is next Saturday), so I feel like I'm keeping for more than just those two days.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #5: March 30, 2007, 03:50:26 pm »

It's funny though; my shift for the LJ cill follows the shift for TC's cill really closely (my LJ shift is next Saturday), so I feel like I'm keeping for more than just those two days.

Grin I'm a member of 3 different cills, and I actually end up Keeping once a week, so I know how you feel.

Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: March 30, 2007, 06:33:11 pm »

Grin I'm a member of 3 different cills, and I actually end up Keeping once a week, so I know how you feel.

That's a pretty cool set-up though... it gives you time to focus on Brigid on a more frequent basis.  I'm so forgetful, so I guess it's a good thing my shifts are so close--otherwise I'd miss one shift or the other!

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #7: March 31, 2007, 12:58:15 am »

That's a pretty cool set-up though... it gives you time to focus on Brigid on a more frequent basis.  I'm so forgetful, so I guess it's a good thing my shifts are so close--otherwise I'd miss one shift or the other!

If I didn't have my Google calendar, I wouldn't remember a thing. Undecided

Guenthecat
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2010, 11:27:22 am

Religion: Folk Pagan??

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 04, 2007, 04:13:06 pm »

Today I'm in the middle of my shift and it's a bit different from any of my other shifts. 

Firstly, it's my first actual shift to tend the flame and conduct a real deal focus on the healing list.  Last time, I was participating in a group shift and my efforts on the healing list were "beta" if you will.

But secondly, this is the first shift that I've had to physically put out my flame during the day while I'm at work.  This is very troublesome to me and so I've been pretty focused on finding a secondary Symbolic Flame option.  I guess since I've been so focused on it, today has been more fruitful in finding a pendant than usual.  Here is the one I've fallen in love with:

http://polartcenter.com/Artistic_Amber_Pendant_p/9010026.htm

If I can't get it in a smaller size from these people, I guess I will look into having one commissioned.  This pendant doesn't just sing to me, it Screams At me.  Therefore I guess it's perfect.  I just do not do large jewelry, in fact I don't wear jewelry much at all, so 4 inches tall is freakin' me out a little bit.

This is also the first shift that I've ever felt yucky for.  Last night we had some pretty big storms blow in and I had to take allergy medicine before I went to bed as I could feel myself stopping up.  This morning I woke up a bit tired.  I don't think I got enough true sleep.  And then when I put my flame out, I channeled a bit of energy work asking to embody a living flame for the day.  Once I got to work, I was really tired. 

Then to add insult to injury, a girl I know online announced that her father attempted suicide the night before.  Being that I was already a bit brain dead, I didn't even think about the consequenses before I did some energy work for her and her father.  As a result, I've been pretty zapped all day. 

Tonight I have a lot of tax stuff to get done, but I will probably try to focus on resting myself.  I've learned my lesson to take it easy on any energy work when I've not had a full night of sleep.  I've been pretty worthless, except for the fact that I do truely feel like a living flame, all day.

Guen  ~:)
SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: April 06, 2007, 11:38:34 am »

Here is the one I've fallen in love with:

http://polartcenter.com/Artistic_Amber_Pendant_p/9010026.htm

If I can't get it in a smaller size from these people, I guess I will look into having one commissioned.  This pendant doesn't just sing to me, it Screams At me.  Therefore I guess it's perfect.  I just do not do large jewelry, in fact I don't wear jewelry much at all, so 4 inches tall is freakin' me out a little bit.
That's truly beautiful - its suitability as a flame representation was immediately obvious to me.

I'm almost six feet tall, well over 200 lbs, and have a great deal of presence; I can pull off large jewellery (in fact, too small and it looks silly on me, or is overwhelmed into invisibility) - but four inches of that freaks me out.  I find it odd that they give the dimensions in inches, but the weight in grams, especially when those dimensions in centimetres would be a lovely size.  I checked a couple of other items, and it doesn't seem to be an error, but I'd say, yes, discuss the matter with them.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: April 06, 2007, 04:12:19 pm »

I'm in the daytime hours of my shift right now and I've come to the realization that I've got to protect myself, my mom and my boy from her partner (my boy's granddad) some way, some how.  I need to meditate on it and see what I can figure out.

Last night it was interesting to say the least. When I lit my candles, I lit a 4 hour emergency candle for Bridget and three tealights for friends.  Two hours later, the 4 hour candle was gone but not until it'd dripped in such a way that it made a column from the base of the holder to where the candle was and the tealights, which normally (for me anyhow) burn out after 2-2.5 hours, burnt for 3! One of them burnt for 3.5 hours!

It's been quite the interesting shift so far!

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: April 08, 2007, 09:24:46 am »

So I'm in the middle of my shift now, and last night I did something I've never really done before, and I hope it works out okay.

My friend has been having a great deal of trouble sleeping due to her frequent (and upsetting) nightmares.  She has tried all sorts of things to help her get to sleep and stay asleep, but nothing has worked, and so she's been exhausted. 

I sent her some healing and restful energy one night, and even though I fell asleep just after doing it, I woke up exhausted.  However, a few days later I found out that the recurring nightmare she had been suffering from had not... er... made an appearance (lol) in the past few nights, and her attitude towards the problem had changed from one of despair to one of determination.

So, last night, while listening to a guided meditation, I was prompted to see what more I could do, and so decided to do a spiritual journey in addition to some less personally exhausting energy work.

I was looking at three tarot cards I had drawn for the matter: Temperance, The Moon, and Strength (from The Lord of the Rings Tarot), and soon, I found myself in a dark space, carrying a bowl of water and a small sapling.  I saw a tower (the one from the card), and I planted the tree by it, and watered it.  I lit three candles and walked around the tower, praying for the tree to grow.  The tree grew quickly, and soon wrapped itself around and throughout the tower.

I realized I had found symbols of the matter at hand: by planting this tree of Strength, and hope, and healing, at the base of the Tower of the nightmares, and by watering it with the water of Temperance, healing, and rest... this tree, my friend's determination, would grow over and conquer her nightmares, and thus she would get a better sleep.  I realized that though I could continue to water it, and light candles for its growth, it was up to her to make the tree grow.

It was all very new to me--I've never done any pathworking like this, and I have to admit I'm a little curious to see if it works.  I have asked Brigid, as well as other folks, to keep my friend close and help her stop the nightmares from taking over her, but I have never felt so strongly inclined to do "healing" work quite like this beyond a simple prayer. 

So... we'll see how it turns out!  I'm sure it will be for the best.

Mama Dragon
Journeyman
Last Login:April 22, 2008, 02:02:36 pm

Religion: Eclectic Cosmologist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 14, 2007, 04:29:56 pm »

I know we've talked about having a thread like this, so I thought I'd start one.  Smiley  Here's mine:

My shift began at sunset on April 11th. I began to feel an attitudinal shift within myself about an hour and a half from actual sundown as I readied my candle and went to the Cill's Child board for the prayer requests.

By the time the sun had actually set, I was ready with my candle and started with the prayer requests.

I did the usual known prayer requests, and the added prayers for those who cannot ask for prayers, as well as for those who do not know to ask.

This shift was the first shift that I was not totally focused in supporting actual physical level healing of some sort.

During the daylight hours of my shift on April 12, I was busy with a burst of creativity.

I almost had to go get a basket to bring my mail in--several home and garden magazines  came in together, lessons from a spiritual group I am studying with  arrived with the special pendant I ordered through my group, catalogs from companies I may use in some aspect of building my business,and the box of jewelry making components I ordered to make the 10 necklaces for my Heart Family arrived all at once.

The calls and emails that I received regarding healing were "check-ins" and reports of good progress-- I took time to for thanksgiving prayers.

The box of jewelry components had our web cam going for most of the rest of my shift  and into the early morning hours of The Lady's shift, as either Sweet Moon or myself  were  on line showing the various family members the components  that arrived and working with them to individualize the necklaces.

I did not have to worry about putting my candle out when I went to bed because Sweet Moon was on line with friends from Australia and New Zealand and was flame keeping with me. I got up about the time Sweet Moon was ready for bed, so we had no safety concerns with the candle.

Since my son Laughing Brook got paid Thursday and cashed his check before he got home, he had Sweet Moon meet him and they not only bought groceries but also brought home our evening meal as a surprise for me.

This meant that I could spend the last hour or so of my shift just meditating on the day and whatever else flowed in.

I have a little garnet and silver pinkie ring that let me know it wanted to be used in my flame keeping-- it is only comfortable to wear WHILE I am flame keeping.  I realize that many Cill members are using or wanting to use amber for this purpose, and  as my meditation I decided to ask  the Lady why that  garnet ring rather than something more obvious, such as amber or perhaps sun stone...?

As far as me not using amber, that was quite obvious to me since  I practically LIVE in amber.  In fact, I have two golden amber rings on as I type this, and a third green amber ring I received as a gift.

I have worn  golden amber on a daily basis since 2002, when I purchased a small amber and silver ring to commemorate Sweet Moon's Womanhood Celebration.

Then in 2003, a financial windfall allowed me to purchase a large man's amber and silver ring  with a stunning cabochon of amber that  has simply become part of me.  Both amber rings came to me in special ways, and in case of the larger ring, for a magical price.

I have been gifted with a delicate five petaled amber "flower" that makes a lovely substitute for a pentagram.

My not using amber was ovbious to me. But a deep red garnet? That is not like flame! Or any flame I have ever seen.

"Why this deep red garnet?" That is a question I asked The Lady when I went into my meditation.

I use my creative times as a sort of "zen" time-- as I focus on the work my hands are doing my mind stills from other things. Some of my most inspired ideas some when I am in the kitchen "cooking from scratch."

I got my answer  as to "why this garnet ring" a few minutes into my meditation .

A piece of beading wire I was working with slipped and made a little puncture in one of my fingers and a tiny drop of deep red blood welled out of the puncture. That little garnet is a reminder of my commitment to healing--- well, duh!

I have noticed that The Lady always seems to use the day after my flame keeping shift as a "fill in the blanks" day. 

I needed help dealing with an upper respiratory concern that the doctors had pooh-pooed and ignored despite the problems and discomfort it caused me-- on one of my recent shifts I asked for healing for myself for this.

Brighid allowed me to complete my shift responsibilities---and I spent  the span of time from waking up the next morning to the night before my next shift mostly out of touch with the rest of the world because whatever it was cleared out of my system.

Since I have taken the 19th position, I have found that when The Lady takes over, the next 24 hours are extremely "high energy" times for me.

Friday, April 13th was no exception. It was an amazing day.

By bus it takes an hour and a half to two hours to get to the one beach area where we lived a short while years ago--- making the trip out to the Ocean Beach area is very tiring for me  these days. There is a very special bead shop out in that area, and I had to pick up some items for the Heart Family necklaces I am working on now. I also wanted to visit the used book store because I simply felt I Needed to-- and Laughing Brook loves that store.

I dreaded the actual trip because it was spending  about six hours travelling and/or waiting for buses, just to visit two stores and have lunch out.

As it turned out, friends unexpectedly met us at both ends of the trip and cut out one of the three bus rides each way.

It turned out to be a lovely day.

I found out why I needed to go to the used book store: a book on Bach Flower Remedies.

I mentioned my amber  five petaled flower pendant earlier-- well, recently I was given an amethyst and marcasite ring with a five petalled flower design.  I was beginning to see a pattern forming and wondering what was going on.

As I started reading the book on Bach Flower remedies and the principles they are based on,  it became clear that these principles are parallel to the principles of the group I am studying with now, and will work well with that aspect of my studies, not to mention starting to put all the flowers that have been coming into my life into context.

Friday the Thirteenth was a gift for me to experience, not only because of Laughing Brook's generosity, or the generosity of my and our friends, but also because the travelling we did gave me opportunity to realize how deeply and completely a level of my physical health and strength  has been restored to me.

Having found this Cill, and Brighid, I have finally come HOME-- this is the greatest gift of all !

Bright Blessings to All!

That's the news from Peripheral Village. This is the Mayor Signing Off.

It's not wise to annoy a dragon when you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 04:51:24 pm by RandallS, Reason: Closed end quote BBCode » Logged

That's the news from Peripheral Village. This is the Mayor Signing Off.

It's not wise to annoy a dragon when you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Garnet
Adept Member

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 22, 2007, 02:42:26 pm »

My shift was interesting and (as ever) different than what I'd expected.  I was very tired coming back from my trip (I described it as being jet-lagged even though no airplanes were involved.)  Although I had a good time, it also was sort of a "pressure-cooker" and a lot of stuff came up for me afterwards.  So I spent a lot of my shift seeing to my own emotional healing.

(I realized that a lot of things that opened for me happened during the Lady's shift.  Neat.  I'll have to be more aware of that.)

My new job is going well, and I think it will be good in terms of creativity and improving my skills.  (Something I see as connected to forging.)  On the second day, after work, I did my sitting meditation in front of Her flame and a cup of water (generally I have both together) and did my healing prayers then.  That really helped me get myself back together, and I've had a lot of "lightbulb moments" since then.

Working with Brighid is helping me understand Scathach better, not to mention other "Celtic stuff" too.

Garnet
Adept Member

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 06, 2007, 12:32:53 pm »

My Beltane group shift was pretty neat, and continued the theme of "home and hearth".  It contained my move-in inspection for my new apartment.  Smiley

I've sort of gotten into a pattern with my shifts - I do my sitting practice with Her flame in front of me, and do my healing prayers after sitting on the second day of the shift.  This time I also asked for healing for me, as I was getting over a cold.  (I'm almost completely better now - woot!)

I also invoked Her in my Beltane ritual.  I generally focus on creativity at Beltane anyway, so it was perfect.  In the middle of my messy room with everything in progress, I celebrated the really nifty things that have happened already.  I also made a one-page folded maze book for Her.  I really like making those, and this time I did it with a huge sheet of paper so the end result was a decent size too.  (I wish I could describe it better - basically, you fold and cut a sheet of paper so that it ends up in a structure like a book.)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)