The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 18, 2022, 07:00:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2022, 07:00:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning my room  (Read 7432 times)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 18, 2008, 10:08:37 am »

I am the type of person who nests. Does anybody else ever feel this way, and find it to make even making a start at wicca (to see if it might be the spiritual path that fits) because I stuck folding clothes instead?

This is what I refer to as 'getting more Virgo in my increasing age' - I was born on the Virgo/Libra cusp. Back in college, my friends laid bets on how long it'd take for my roommate and I to no longer have visible floor space. These days (at 32) I'm as you describe: I have a horrible time doing ritual (or writing, or a few other kinds of things) when things are untidy.

Mostly, I cope and clean. For example, I'm hosting our Ostara ritual on Thursday, so I'm spending time this week making sure everything is clean and ready for that, and using it as an excuse for a really thorough spring cleaning in the process. Doing that means I can get by with fairly minimal upkeep for a week or two, too.

As far as nesting - I've found that layout and fabric choices make a huge difference to me. I *always* have books all over the place, but they don't bug me if they're in tidy stacks. (More bookshelves would be nice, but I'm running out of potential places to put them.) The comfort of my bed matters a lot to me - it's always got flannel sheets except at the height of summer, specific pillows, etc. But I feel less inclined to nest and strew things all over the rest of my space when that's true.

Alternatively, does anybody have an idea about any rituals that would make cleaning an exeptionally dissorganized space easier?

One thing to think about is that 'disorganized' is not the same as 'messy' - and that neither of these are automatically the opposite of 'sterile'. It's possible to have a tidy place with tons of things close at hand. Things I've found make a lot of difference to me involve having things up off the floor (other than neat piles of library books or stuff currently being read by the bed) and keeping the things on shelves reasonably tidy.

If you look at shots of my current home here: http://pics.livejournal.com/jenett/gallery/0001hxaw you can see I have bunches of 'stuff', and that it's not a sterile Home Beautiful setting - but that everything's tidy. (for scale: I live in a 400 square foot space: it's like a studio apartment, but it's detatched from any other building. Smaller than many garages, these days.)

The other part is to make the cleaning part into a ritual in and of itself; a chance to get rid of stagnation and bring in new energy and freshness and change.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)