The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 02, 2021, 09:01:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 02, 2021, 09:01:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning my room  (Read 6473 times)
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: March 21, 2008, 04:22:06 pm »

Me, I'm the child of an obsessively neat *and* organized mother (just ask Darkhawk, who visited home with me at one point, and who was deeply disturbed, though more by the fridge than anything else),

I honestly don't remember much about the neat/organisational status (which probably means it was unremarkable by my mother's standards), but the fridge had no food in it.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 21, 2008, 11:33:34 pm »

if you can't be bothered cleaning then why not take your ritual outside?

Find somewhere nice, use the earth as your altar and perform the ritual there.

I don't know where the original poster's from in the US, but regrettably, this is not an option in all climates - here, being outside for even 10 minutes in mid-winter can lead to frostbite and serious cold damage. (We had several points this winter where we were barely in positive numbers Farenheit for a week at a time - well *below* freezing, in other words, with windchills into the -20s or lower.) Not ideal for outdoor ritual, that.

Even this week, yesterday was sunny and quite nice (upper 30s Farenheit - positively balmy after last winter, but still not exactly weather I'd want to be outside in for long if I weren't moving or well bundled up.) Today? 3 inches of snow. And slush everywhere. I *have* done Beltane outside, in a day-long downpour. Once a lifetime was quite enough of that, honestly: I cannot generally see a purpose for weather-related misery in my religious devotions. (ugh. The memory still leaves me shuddering, and I'm normally all about water.)

More than that, there are quite a few places in the US where doing ritual outside would be noticeable and cause concern - passerby, police, etc. Not everyone's rituals can readily be fully altered to not cause those problems, or they may not have reliable access to more private/out of the way spaces. (For example, most of the quieter spots I know of in my metro area parks are not readily accessible by bus on the weekends or evenings: the bus might run every 3-4 hours in some cases.

Also, I don't know about anyone else, but when I do ritual outside, I always end up spending half an hour cleaning the place up first: it's not exactly a solution for "don't want to tidy my living space"

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 21, 2008, 11:33:54 pm »

What is tidy anyway?  I've decided that my personal definition is that a) I have room to move comfortably, b) I don't have anything rotting/smelling/getting bent or broken due to untidyness, and c) I can find things I need.  For a more formal occasion - such as a ritual involving inviting deity - a little extra effort is only polite.  I ought to sweep and throw the dirty laundry in the hamper.  But I don't hold with the idea that energy "can't float around" and becomes "stale" because of clutter.  I've lived in some TINY, cluttered little places. 

Oh, yes.

One of the things that helped me was figuring out what my definition of tidy means. For example, my closet-thing can be a mess, but as long as I can't see it, it's normally fine. (Except right now, when I'm apparently in major spring cleaning mode: got laundry to put away, and several bags of stuff that got pulled out of the car trunk this morning: I need to do something with that shortly. )

So, tugging the comforter on the bed is fine. (Or closing the curtains between the bed alcove and the front room where I do ritual). Having the curtains down on my freestanding closet is fine. Bu the bookshelves I can directly see need to be uncluttered (mail should be elsewhere, trash, old envelopes, etc. should be elsewhere.) The immediate floor should be clear, maybe excepting only cat toys. And so on.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Gwalchmai
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 12:31:45 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permissable.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: March 24, 2008, 12:07:46 pm »

I don't know where the original poster's from in the US, but regrettably, this is not an option in all climates - here, being outside for even 10 minutes in mid-winter can lead to frostbite and serious cold damage. (We had several points this winter where we were barely in positive numbers Farenheit for a week at a time - well *below* freezing, in other words, with windchills into the -20s or lower.) Not ideal for outdoor ritual, that.

Even this week, yesterday was sunny and quite nice (upper 30s Farenheit - positively balmy after last winter, but still not exactly weather I'd want to be outside in for long if I weren't moving or well bundled up.) Today? 3 inches of snow. And slush everywhere. I *have* done Beltane outside, in a day-long downpour. Once a lifetime was quite enough of that, honestly: I cannot generally see a purpose for weather-related misery in my religious devotions. (ugh. The memory still leaves me shuddering, and I'm normally all about water.)

More than that, there are quite a few places in the US where doing ritual outside would be noticeable and cause concern - passerby, police, etc. Not everyone's rituals can readily be fully altered to not cause those problems, or they may not have reliable access to more private/out of the way spaces. (For example, most of the quieter spots I know of in my metro area parks are not readily accessible by bus on the weekends or evenings: the bus might run every 3-4 hours in some cases.

Also, I don't know about anyone else, but when I do ritual outside, I always end up spending half an hour cleaning the place up first: it's not exactly a solution for "don't want to tidy my living space"

I'm quite lucky in that the weather where I live is usually fairly OK although we've had snow this weekend. I'm also lucky that I have a wood quite nearby which I can visit that doesn't normally get too untidy.

Still, i prefer to do my rituals indoors if possible as it affords me much more control over my surroundings.

Visit My Quick Tarot Guide Today
MacAttack
Last Login:June 05, 2008, 01:39:14 am

Religion: I'm Spiritual, not religious.

Tsunderella

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: May 26, 2008, 04:18:11 am »

Every single time I get interested in Wicca, I get hung up on the fact that I feel I must begin by cleaning my room. Blankets everywhere, books in piles, dirty clothes strewn all across the futon I sleep upon; it just doesn't feel like a ritual space. But cleaning my room is difficult. I am the type of person who nests. Does anybody else ever feel this way, and find it to make even making a start at wicca (to see if it might be the spiritual path that fits) because I stuck folding clothes instead?

I've been 'cleaning' my new room for the past 3 months(12 if you count the other 2 houses we've lived in). I'm comfortable in my mess, I know where everything is. "Hey Steph, where's the light bill?" It's next to the huge pile of Art History notes from 10th grade. My mom is the same way so it must be genetic.  My mom doesn't let me do much of anything involving the occult or divination until my room is clean it's just how we were taught. Cleanliness is important to the process. I just stuff things in the closet and get back to them later if I remember.
celestine
Apprentice
Last Login:April 02, 2009, 05:08:18 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: pagan, witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: May 31, 2008, 09:41:05 am »

Every single time I get interested in Wicca, I get hung up on the fact that I feel I must begin by cleaning my room. Blankets everywhere, books in piles, dirty clothes strewn all across the futon I sleep upon; it just doesn't feel like a ritual space. But cleaning my room is difficult. I am the type of person who nests. Does anybody else ever feel this way, and find it to make even making a start at wicca (to see if it might be the spiritual path that fits) because I stuck folding clothes instead?

Alternatively, does anybody have an idea about any rituals that would make cleaning an exeptionally dissorganized space easier?

even if your room is disorganized i would choose one specific place for your wiccan and then that space could be easier to clean when working with your path. when i have rituals or spells to do i clean my windowsill (my altar) then sit cross legged at the end of my bed looking at my altar, relax then close my eyes and spend some time imagineing myself, broom in hand sweeping away any negative or unwanted energy from my whole room(sometimes this takes longer than others) when i feel i have done this and open my eyes my room seems to have a different feel to it, fresher and more focused i then find it alot easier to work. hope this helps.

brightest blessings
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: May 31, 2008, 01:17:20 pm »

Does anybody else ever feel this way, and find it to make even making a start at wicca (to see if it might be the spiritual path that fits) because I stuck folding clothes instead?

I know the feeling.  I used to do a monthly cleansing/re-warding ritual on my room and would do some "mundane" cleaning first.  Which sometimes worked well, but sometimes I would get too intimidated by the "mundane" cleaning (my room used to be *extremely* messy) and put off doing the ritual.  So I tried to do some sort of smaller task that still made a difference in how the room looked.  The best was probably picking up my clothes off the floor.  Easy, and you'd be surprised how noticeable it was.

So I would say, if you feel you need to clean first, break up cleaning into manageable pieces.  I also like to make sure my altar and shrines are clean, at very least.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)